Java Green, 19th & K Streets NW - Environmentally concerned Korean-Vegetarian - Closed

Java Green Organic Eco Cafe
1020 19th Street, NW (between K and L St)
202-775-8899
Website here
Eve Zibart writeup here
This place is all vegetarian with sandwiches, wraps, salads, noodle bowls, rice bowls, much of which are Korean. It's also very "green" in its practices (e.g., purchasing 100% wind power and biodegradable serving ware).

I had the boolgogi and kimchee rice bowl, which I enjoyed. It came in a bento box with fermented flavorful kimchi, good jobche (or japchae) noodles, fake meat boolgogi, a red (kinda burgundy) tinted rice with what looked like wild rice type grains in it, and Korean hot paste (kochujang) that was thinned out into a sauce. The boolgogi was a pretty good vegetarian version though of course it didn't taste just like the beef version because the seitan gives it a different flavor. I also tried a side of the popcorn chicken -- little chunks of fake chicken – that were good dipped in the hot sauce that came with my bento box. I'd definitely go back.

I had the boolgogi and kimchee rice bowl, which I enjoyed. It came in a bento box with fermented flavorful kimchi, good jobche (or japchae) noodles, fake meat boolgogi, a retinted rice with what looked like wild rice type grains in it, and Korean hot paste (kochujang) that was thinned out into a sauce.
I feel pretty healthy and not weighed down after eating their food, which is great for the long afternoons at work. I found their japchae to be too sweet for me, and I think same with boolgogi, so i tend to stick to their wraps. My fave wraps are the Tofu & Avocado Wrap and the Rice Wrap. The chili sauce on the Rice wrap is just very, very good -- a nice chili/sweet taste to it. For $7.50, it was worth it because I found it big enough to split it into two separate meals for me. I love tofu and I love avocado, so that's the reason why I enjoy the other wrap.

I find their smoothies and shakes to be not so economically worthy (small portions for the price paid), but their coffee/lattes are. They use a pretty low-acid bean with a rich texture, so I enjoy a cup of their soy latte. Just don't go during lunch time, as it's a small place with nowhere to stand to wait for your food. It was bad in the winter, but won't be so bad now that the weather's warming up (and their outdoor seating will be starting soon).

Once upon a time they used to serve all that stuff with the option of real meat. I pine for those days because it was quite tasty. I do love their japchae and their special house hot sauce that's near the condiments/utencils. But I do find it a bit pricey for what it is. Esp. jap chae when I can go to the Korean market and get a box pre-made for half as much with twice as much food. I also like their strange multigrain rice or whatever it is. I don't know if the young Korean guy with Elvis Costello glasses and floppy hair is still there, but he was always very cool.