Cafe Roma, Italian Bakery near RFK - Last Day Will Be 12/14

New Italian bakery and coffee shop on the far eastern end of Capitol Hill, in the shadow of RFK and Eastern High School. Have heard that owner recently moved from Italy... its been open just a couple weeks now.

Went in for breakfast Saturday. Breakfast options are thin (muffins, biscotti, donuts on the counter), but the real attraction is the authentic espresso machine and the cakes and pies in the case, all of which are apparently being made in-house.

Atmosphere is very cute, with tables on ground level and a loft with 6-8 more overlooking the shop. Outside's been painted.

Took home a whole tiramisu cake ($20) and got rave reviews from a full house that night. Also have apple (or pear) tarts, ricotta cheese cake (and chocolate ricotta cheese cake). Prices very reasonable. Plus Italian cookies.

Man behind counter ("just helping out") is the real deal. Spoke endless Italian to a customer who wandered in.

411 18th St. NE, 202-652-1693 (yes, address is correct... its way out there, but worth the trip for the desserts!)

New Italian bakery and coffee shop on the far eastern end of Capitol Hill, in the shadow of RFK and Eastern High School. Have heard that owner recently moved from Italy... its been open just a couple weeks now.

Went in for breakfast Saturday. Breakfast options are thin (muffins, biscotti, donuts on the counter), but the real attraction is the authentic espresso machine and the cakes and pies in the case, all of which are apparently being made in-house.

Atmosphere is very cute, with tables on ground level and a loft with 6-8 more overlooking the shop. Outside's been painted.

Took home a whole tiramisu cake ($20) and got rave reviews from a full house that night. Also have apple (or pear) tarts, ricotta cheese cake (and chocolate ricotta cheese cake). Prices very reasonable. Plus Italian cookies.

Man behind counter ("just helping out") is the real deal. Spoke endless Italian to a customer who wandered in.

411 18th St. NE, 202-652-1693 (yes, address is correct... its way out there, but worth the trip for the desserts!)

I've heard about this place but haven't ventured down there. I usually only go to that part of the neighborhood to vote, and it may not have been open yet on primary day. I don't recall seeing it on election day, in any case.

Took home a whole tiramisu cake ($20) and got rave reviews from a full house that night. Also have apple (or pear) tarts, ricotta cheese cake (and chocolate ricotta cheese cake). Prices very reasonable.

This tiramisu cake thing looks great (haven't tried it yet) and this is an attractive spot. Didn't have time to wait for an espresso drink, but next time I have time I will drop in for cappuccino and or a panini.