Salt

edenman

Anybody know where I can get a good price on bulk Kosher or Sea Salt? I figure I'll need something between 30-40 lbs, and I'd like to avoid paying for a bunch of those little 3lb boxes. Would Penzey's be an option?

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/category.asp?idCat=3

I'd be willing to buy 2 - 55# sea salts and split one with you. The frieght is almost as much as the salt!

Anybody know where I can get a good price on bulk Kosher or Sea Salt? I figure I'll need something between 30-40 lbs, and I'd like to avoid paying for a bunch of those little 3lb boxes. Would Penzey's be an option?
The hardware store sells this cool blue salt in huge bags - CHEAP! Must be one of them newfangled imported salts from the Himalayas or wherever.

The Spice House has kosher @3 lbs. for $2.99..

Penzeys packages are smaller and relatively more expensive.

(I'm kind of brain dead this morning, since I quoted you and still didn't notice you said that you didn't want to buy a bunch of 3 lb. boxes ;).)

Curious what you're up to with that much salt ;)

My Organic Market (MOM) sells sea salt in bulk at .69 per pound.

I've seen large bags of sea salt (various grain sizes) at korean gorceries (e.g., super H, el grande, grand mart, lotte).

I've tried them, good price, but noticibly brinier than other sea salts. I used it in pasta water, to make it "taste like the sea".

I got hams and bellies to cure ;)

And MOM was a good tip, thanks. They're ordering a 40lb bag for me.

Bit of a comedy of errors, getting this order. They didn't originally put the order in since the company only sells 25lb bags. Then when I said I'd just take a 25lb bag, it was nowhere to be found when it had supposedly arrived. Apparently the morning stock crew loaded it into the bulk bin. All understandable errors, but it was still annoying to have to scoop out my 39lb out of the bin manually :) The lady who was in charge of ordering offered to knock 10% off the price, but she wasn't around when I checked out, and I didn't feel like trying to get it since .59/lb is pretty effin cheap to begin with. No regrets