JLK

I swear by the shrimp burritos at Fin's.

It's a small chain of fish taco, etc., places in strip malls. There is one in Mission Valley and one in La Jolla. Nothing to look at but the best damn shrimp burrito I've ever had. [As of August 19th, 2012, there is only one Fin's left, in La Jolla.]

Seriously.

Mr. BLB and I are planning a trip to LA and Hawaii for the winter and I'm working on a plane to fly into San Diego just for a stop at Fin's before driving up to LA.

They are that good.

Beyond that, I've had nice meals in the Gaslamp District but nothing sticks out in my memory.

Enjoy!

Jennifer

Kiyo's sushi. 531 F St in the Gaslamp. Total hole in the wall. Go. Go early, sit at the bar and ask the oldish guy behind the sushi bar (that's Kiyo) to feed you. Be adventurous. Ask questions. Engage. Then you get the really good stuff, like hand rolls with perfectly cooked, gelatinous-essence-of-bluefin tuna (it's the skin). Marinated sashimi to frickin'-die-for.

I get about two weeks in San Diego each year. I eat dinner at two restaurants, essentially. Region [Closed, summer of 2006] in Hillcrest (think the late, lamented Rupperts with more friendly people and more, better, ingredients) and this joint.

Beyond that, I've had nice meals in the Gaslamp District but nothing sticks out in my memory.

That is kind of how I have always felt about the restaurants in the Gaslamp, noting bad, just nothing memorable.

If you like steak, I would recommend Rainwater's on Kettner [Closed in December, 2009]. It is the best steakhouse on the west coast, and only rivaled by Ringside in Portland.

Sounds like we are going to spend the majority of our time in La Jolla (although we have rented a car given that they were only $19.99/day...and about that much for gas!). I'll come back with a report on anything we find that's worth eatin'.

I have returned from San Diego and La Jolla, returning sunburned and pretty "eh" about the dining options out there. I had hoped for a taco stand on every corner, to go along with the salsa played on easily 65% of the FM stations, but really struggled to find what I sought.

Oh well, the company was pleasant. smile.gif

Our most enjoyable meal of the trip came from some anonymous sandwich shop on Avenida de la Playa. My turkey sandwich came with lots of avocado spread, was followed by a very fresh chocolate cookie and all of it was washed down with a huge homemade lemonade. Yum.

On Saturday night, my friends and I were determined to find a decent Mexican restaurant in La Jolla. Sadly, our research turned up only one spot: Alphonso's [Open since the mid-1980s] After a round at the bar (three margaritas of different frozen/traditional, salt/no-salt varieties and a dos equis amber for me: $24), we sat on the outdoor patio. Thank goodness for the heat lamps because it's nothing like DC's all heat and humidity, all the time weather.

The food was fine, nothing exceptional. We started with "chunky" guacamole which was OK, but Rosa Mexicano need not worry about me finding a new favorite. The "chunky" reference, from what I can tell, was more about the large slices - yes, slices - of tomato and onion atop the avocado puree; not chunks of avocado. The chips were weird, seemingly twice fried. Again, oh well.

I had a carne asada quesadilla that was easily twice the size of my head for about $14. My friends had, respectively, a spicy shrimp burrito (she confirmed that it was indeed spicy), a beef enchilada and a steak tostado. The total price (w/o drinks) with tip was less than $20 so although it didn't knock our socks off, nor did it put a dent in our wallets.

I only have vague recollections of our Sunday late-night dinner at La Dolce Vita in La Jolla due to afternoon alcohol consumption. [i had "celebrated" Labor Day to the fullest extent, surrounded by women in super-large Mary Kate Olsen sunglasses. Mine made me look like John Lennon by comparison.] I recall cheap white wine, something covered in alfredo sauce and a bitter-tasting tiramisu. Maybe you shouldn't go to La Dolce Vita. Unless "Forever Fondue" (yes, seriously) is booked.

My wife and I were in San Diego about 4 weeks ago and hit a few restaurants. One of the common themes that I noticed at every restaurant was the genuinely friendly and helpful service that we got, whether we were at a local bagel shop or a fancy restaurant.

Our first night we went to Star of the Sea. I had heard that it was one of the best restaurants in San Diego, and we were hoping to find a great seafood restaurant while on vacation. The good: service was fantastic from start to finish. The bartender was very friendly and guided us about what tourist traps were good and which ones to avoid. Our waiter recommended some very nice wines and was knowledgeable about the menu. The room was beautiful, and every table has a view that overlooks the water. The bad: nothing was bad, but for many dishes we found that the sum of the parts does not equal the whole. For an appetizer, I had the white pepper shrimp. My memory fails me right now, but the shrimp came with a sweet sauce to balance out the spiciness from the pepper. The combination was very good, and I enjoyed it. Clearly, they were going for the spicy-sweet balance, but was it necessary to serve this dish with an apricot fritter? The apricot fritter was tasty on its own, and would have made a great dessert, but it was way too sweet and was totally out of place being served with the shrimp. My wife's swordfish came with Langoustines, Squid Ink Tagliatelle, Baby Fennel, AND Lobster Bolognese. All of the components were fine on their own, but together they overwhelmed the swordfish. My Ahi Tuna Gremolada was a surprising large portion, however, the tuna was very thin. As a result, it was cooked closer to medium than medium-rare. Overall, the meal was ok. At a lower price point, it would have been excellent. Most seafood restaurants that I have been to use simple preparations show off the freshness of the fish. I am not opposed to variety, but for a place that prides itself on fresh seafood, the "star of the sea" seems to play second fiddle to the creativity and whimsy of the chef's preparations.

For our last night in San Diego we went to Indigo Grill. While located in Little Italy, the menu reflects a nod to Mexico and the southwest US. If I lived in the neighborhood, I could definitely see making a habit of sitting at the bar and ordering an appetizer and a glass of wine from their fairly extensive wine list. Even though we were the last dinner seating of the night, service was friendly and we were not rushed. The portions are Flintstones big – think Cheesecake Factory on steroids. Fortunately, our waiter told us this ahead of time. We started with an arugula, frisee, and radicchio salad that contained dates wrapped in pancetta, cojita cheese, and flatbread tossed with a vinaigrette dressing. My wife's entrée of a blueberry glazed rack of lamb was very good and included an outrageously good fennel and potato casserole as well as mixed greens, a corn tamale, flatbread, and a red onion-caraway marmalade. My flat iron steak special was pretty good (no Ray's) and also included mixed greens, corn tamale, flatbread, Pico de gallo, and probably 3 or 4 other sides. There was huge variety (almost too much) each plate. We really didn't have room for dessert, but I was craving sweets. We ordered what was essentially a Baked Alaska served with a mint chocolate chip ice cream. What they brought out was the size of a football helmet. It was very good, however, the mint ice cream was overwhelming. A basic vanilla would have been perfect.

Our 2nd night in San Diego proved to be the best meal, hands down. I want to thank Jake for his excellent recommendation of Kiyo's in the Gaslamp district. This is a place that tourists walk right by and ignore as they wait in line for 90 minutes at the Hard Rock Café. That's what I love about it. From the outside, it looks like a total hole-in-the-wall. Inside isn't overly fancy, but you will find some of the freshest sushi anywhere. The sushi counter was completely packed; with locals laughing it up with the guy behind the sushi bar (yep, that's Kiyo). We were seated at a corner table that had a great view of the television, which was showing what appeared to be the Japanese version of Solid Gold. We ordered a combination of rolls and nigiri. The rolls were enormous; overstuffed not with rice but with large hunks of fresh tuna. Nigiri were just as fresh as each piece just melted in our mouth. Kiyo's seems to be a little heavy-handed with the wasabi hiding under the nigiri, but that was fine with us. The service was very friendly and efficient.

Edited by DonRocks

if you guys have a chance, place definitely should be tried , Brigantine in Coronado by the water. fresh seafood and the best potato skins stuffed with crab meat and seared ahi tuna sandwich.

If I recall correctily, Brigantine shares ownership with Miguel's--good casual mex...ah yes, confirmed--check out the website. One other place that's good for lunch when I visit my sister in San Diego is Dakine's. Sure would like to have a place like this downtown! :lol:

Our 2nd night in San Diego proved to be the best meal, hands down.  I want to thank Jake for his excellent recommendation of Kiyo’s in the Gaslamp district. 

Glad you enjoyed it. But do try to catch it before it fills up in the evening (or go for lunch)...you'll get the full fish-geek treatment.

Extraordinary Desserts- The cutest dessert cafe ever and their cakes are wonderful. I believe it's near Balboa Park (sorry my friends took me there). I have linked their website.

Local eats- California Burritos- They are burritos stuffed with french fries. It is great after a late night of partying. Ask a local or a UCSD college student and they should know what you are talking about!

Acqua Al 2- Authentic Italian. I went to the original restaurant in Florence. The food in Florence was amazing. I haven't been to this on in SD, but I'm sure it would be up to par to it's mother restaurant. Try their Pasta Sampler and Balsamic Steak.

I picked up takeout from a new Thai place, Amarin (3373 Rosecrans St) on my way to my hotel this evening. I really wanted to like it since the people were so nice and the folks eating in the restaurant seemed to be enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with the two things I ordered. I started with the Tom Yum soup with shrimp. While the shrimp were cooked well, the soup lacked both the hot and sour aspects that make it one of my usual favorites. It was a little sour, but seemed to have been tamed down considerably for western tastes. The mock duck gaprow I ordered looked impressive and the vegetables were cooked to a nice crisp tender stage. The mock duck looked like boneless pieces of duck meat with the skin on. I love meat but ordered this since my curiousity got the better of me regarding what mock duck looks like. The gaprow had very little heat and not enough Thai basil flavor for my taste. Like the soup, this dish seems to have been westernized. I wish I could have liked the food more since it's so conveniently near my customer location.

ISO pasta for my carb loading friend.

I'm heading to San Diego Saturday, partly for work and partly to watch my friend run her second marathon. A crew of us is staying at the Hyatt on Market Place, and I'd love to arrive armed with suggestions of decent spots nearby to get a pasta dinner Saturday night.

Where not to eat: Fred's (Mexican) in the Gaslamp District. I went in with my three tired, hungry runner friends not expecting much, and well, we didn't get much. Fred's has a habit of putting ranch dressing on pretty much everything (tacos, enchiladas, you name it). At least it was cheap ($80 including tax, tip, entrees all around, one drink each and two shared appetizers). Still, gross.

Just came back from a short business trip to San Diego and tried a place in Del Mar called the Blackhorse Grille.

Website

The menu is divided into small plates and entrees; we chose to stick with the small plates because they looked really interesting and were offered at half price during happy hour (4-6). We ended up ordering: Grilled Sea Scallops, Ahi Poke, Smoked Trout Dip, Dungeness Crab Lettuce Cups, Thai Eggplant, and Tempura Green Beans. The scallops were huge, cooked to a nice medium rare and came three to an order on little mounds of potatoes mashed with a little corn and green onion. My coworker said she doesn't normally like scallops but really enjoyed these. The Ahi was great, about 1/3" cubes of beautifully ruby red fish mixed with just enough seasoning to give it a kick but not intimidate those who don't care for overly spicy food. The smoked trout dip and the dungeness crab cups remind you that this is California, meaning that there is mostly seafood and very little in the way of mayonnaise or other creamy binder in these two dishes. The trout dip was presented as three grilled crostini spread with a generous helping of smokey fish. The crab cups were so fresh tasting with really complementary lime and citrus flavors. Of the two veggie dishes, we enjoyed the Thai eggplant more. The dish was cubes of eggplant and tofu sauteed with peppers in an intense ka prow type sauce. My one complaint with this dish was that the fried tofu cubes tasted almost a little freezer burned to me. My comparison is the fried, freshly made tofu at the shop in Eden Center so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. The tempura green beans were good, but they seemed heavy in comparison to the other dishes we tried.

The biggest downside of this restaurant is getting to it from San Diego. We left from our offices in Mission Valley and what should have been a 20 minute drive was about 40-45 minutes at about 5pm. The food is worth the drive and I would definitely come back. I normally travel here by myself and the bar looked like it might be a fun place to eat alone. We left the restaurant at about 7:45, just in time to drive over to Solana Beach and catch the sunset.

O'Brien's was my favorite San Diego place. Unassuming little beer bar in a strip mall, but awesome beer selection and a damn good burger (fresh garlic and beer-cheese). It's certainly not on the way to the airport, but it doesn't look toooo out of the way if you're driving.

We also really enjoyed Liars' Club, in Pacific Beach. Solid beer selection, awesome jukebox:

"Our jukebox does not play The Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, Sublime, Limp Biskit, or Journey."

I miss San Diego.

Any recent reports? I have some time to kill between a 4 pm meeting near La Jolla and my 10 pm red eye.
Do you have a budget in mind? I'm from San Diego originally and can direct you to whatever you have a taste for. PM me if I miss your repost.

Any recent reports? I have some time to kill between a 4 pm meeting near La Jolla and my 10 pm red eye.

I ate in La Jolla last year at 910: lots of local farms on the menu, and good food. Sit outside on the sidewalk, and let people-watching enhance your meal.

http://www.nine-ten.com/

WARNING: there is really obnoxious music on the website. (Like, do they think they're "Entourage"?) I HATE THAT. It's even worse when the button to turn it off doesn't work. Lame-o. Ignore the stupid web design: look at the food.

I'm in a Starbucks (I know...) in La Jolla right by Nine-Ten. How convenient. The menu looks a bit more involved than I'm really seeking, but I might stop by for a look, just the same. I'm leaning toward eating here in La Jolla rather than driving into downtown SD at this point.

The weather stinks though so I will be dining inside. It was like that in LA too--probably sunnier and warmer in DC than LA early this week.

I was in San Diego in March and highly recommend Parallel 33. Website: Parallel 33. It's fusion cuisine with the additional theme that all foods served come from countries that share the same latitude as San Diego: 33. The restaurant is small, a little loud, and informal. Service was good as was the food. My friend had the spiced vegetarian samosas with two chutneys as an appetizer while I had the flatbread with three dipping sauces to start. Dinner for her: coriander crusted scallops, purple sticky rice, asparagus, roasted kaboucha, and cashew nut kung pao. I had the grilled duck breast with sweet potato gnocchi (loved the gnocchi!), broccolini, and cranberry coulis. We shared an apple tart for dessert that was good but not outstanding.

I had a less pleasant experience at Greystone, The Steakhouse in the Gaslamp. I was solo for this dinner and sat at the bar. Ordered the worst Caesar salad I've ever had in my life, and it all came down to the obvious age of the Romaine lettuce that was used. I should have sent it back but didn't. Some amends were made with the filet I ordered which was cooked to specification and accompanied by good sides of asparagus and garlic mashers, but since my main course was in the wheelhouse of the restaurant, I didn't feel that it was exceptional. And the bartender, while pretty good most of the night, did not ask if I wanted a second post-dinner drink (I did). I finally figured out that since he was not asking anyone else at the bar if they wanted an additional drink, he had nonverbally made last call. Given that it was only 10:30 on a Thursday night (the restaurant advertised it was open until 11), I would have expected that he would have made it clear that he was giving last call. I think he was in a hurry to start his post-work partying.

Fast food note: Panda Express offers pretty acceptable Chinese fare. I don't know if it's just a local chain or a West Coast chain (I've never seen them on the East Coast or in northern California where I visit quite frequently), but their food was decent, if standardized, and if you were looking for a quick meal at lunch for less than $10 and had no other local spot in mind, I'd consider going there. They have locations all over San Diego and the suburbs.

blanca in Solana Beach was very good and conveniently just below a friend's office building - beautiful presentations & good service, one of those places where I found almost every dish on the whole menu to be worthy of consideration, though a little overpriced. Tasting menu available seemed like a relative bargain. One of the most memorable dishes I've had recently was a heirloom tomato sampler ("bloody mary" with cherry tomatoes, chilled tomato basil soup, burrata with stoplight tomatoes, and fried tomatoes arranged from lightest to heaviest). Also loved the trio of melon sorbets with fresh fruit and gratis lemon bars with the check. A nice north county find.

Rainwater's - I could take or leave it outside of the wine list - we loved the Lewis Cellars Cab/Syrah blend and put down a few bottles. Priced as expected for a steakhouse. But I've had better steaks at dozens of places, from Roanoke VA to LA, and I wasn't a big fan of the aggressive upselling on both food & wine... Started with some very nicely shucked oysters (just average, can't remember where from), had a bone-in strip (overcooked, good asparagus), and a creme brulee (crunchier caramelized top than usual, pretty good).

The rest of my meals were junk food and Bud bottles by the Omni hotel pool... I would love to live in that climate year round.

Someone mentioned that there is nothing good in the GasLamp, but if you're stuck there, I'd recommend Cafe Chloe. it's just on the edges of the gaslamp- a few blocks from the ballpark.

Great breakfast and lunch, illy coffee, and because of the location, less bombarded by tourist- more locals seem to show up here in the mornings.

I love their pomme frites, the macaroni, pancetta and gorgonzola gratin, and the lavender lemonade.

Would someone who is headed there soon please check on Kiyo's? I hope it's still doing its voodoo.
We'll be in L Jolla for 10 days this month. I will report back on Kiyo's. :angry: Anyone else have any recent recommendations? Good Mexican would be appreciated.

I'm trying to finalize our Labor Day weekend in San Diego. During our trip, we'll be going to the Zoo, Petco Park, La Jolla, Del Mar Fairgrounds, Coronado Island, and possibly Cabrillo Monument. We'll be staying on the southern tip of Mission Blvd.

On my list to hit will be:

In n Out

Fatburger

South Beach Bar & Grille for fish tacos

Exordinary Desserts

Garlic fries at Petco

I'm on the fence about these, so if you have better suggestions, please let me know!

Rubios - should I try their fish tacos or shrimp burrito?

Sombrero - I'm interested in trying carne asada fries, and this was one of the recommendations

Hash House

The Linkery

Definitely want to dine w/an oceanview. Here are some of the ones that I have come across so far:

Brockton Villa or George's at the Cove in La Jolla

Kono's Cafe, World Famous, Canes Bar & Grille

I've also read about Rimels and El Pescador Fish Market in La Jolla. Where do you recommend shopping for a picnic? Also, since most of my list is on the casual side, what to recommend for a dinner date, something on the nicer side ( i.e. average entree less than $25)?

And finally, what is something edible that is uniquely San Diego that I can bring home to my family and friends? It MUST survive the flight back to Chicago, and I do not want to check in my luggage. Thanks!

One of the nicest oceanviews I found was at Vigilucci's in Coronado/Oceanside area if you have time to hike all the way up there... Food is OK. Stick with lunch - it's a bit overpriced, and the food is just average. But the view is really great.

We'll be in San Diego in November for one day before we leave on a cruise. We're staying in the Gaslamp area near Petco Field. I've seen some good reports on a fish place called Anthony's and it's close to where we are staying. Are there any other good local places for fish (price range: cheap to moderate). I'd also be interested if anyone has a rec for a good mexican place (same price range).

We'll be in San Diego in November for one day before we leave on a cruise. We're staying in the Gaslamp area near Petco Field. I've seen some good reports on a fish place called Anthony's and it's close to where we are staying. Are there any other good local places for fish (price range: cheap to moderate). I'd also be interested if anyone has a rec for a good mexican place (same price range).
I've never been a big fan of anthony's. Are you going to have a car?

No, no car. So if we can find a good local place within walking distance or a short cab ride, that would be great.

May I ask why you aren't a fan of Anthony's?

I've always had poor service there and for a town that prides itself on seafood, I've always had less than stellar seafood there. Let me do some digging for you- I don't spend a lot of time in the gaslamp, but I've spent a lot of time downtown which isn't too far. One place you must hit for dessert is Karen Krasne's, but I'll find you something pretty solid for dinner too. San Diego isn't much of a food city, but it's got a few hot spots.

Apologies as I meant to follow up a few days ago, but life got in the way.

I would suggest chive- I've always had good food there and it's in the Gaslamp. www.chiverestaurant.com

Flemmings is a somewhat expensive, somewhat local chain that has always been good- it's a steakhouse with really solid seafood and a killer wine list (100 or so by the glass)- http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/

Flemmings is a somewhat expensive, somewhat local chain that has always been good- it's a steakhouse with really solid seafood and a killer wine list (100 or so by the glass)- http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/

Not trying to start a "chain" versus "non-chain" debate, but Flemings is a national chain with a location in Tyson's Corner, so perhaps Biscuit Girl might want to try someplace more "local" (FYI, I have had a couple of good meals at the Flemings in Tyson's).

As for seafood in the Gaslamp district, if you like sushi go to Kiyo's. See jparrot's post and my post above.

Would someone who is headed there soon please check on Kiyo's? I hope it's still doing its voodoo.

I'm interesting in trying the sushi and sashimi offerings, if they are available for lunch (I already have plans for dinner). Is there any reason, such as they only serve udon and bento boxes for lunch, not to go there for lunch this Friday? :blink:

The only reason not to is if you don't have a lot of time. Go, sit at the sushi bar, take the time, eat whatever Kiyo gives you. Tell him to go to town.

:blink: Kiyo said the same thing when I sat down at the bar and rattled off an order of sushi: "Take your time, I'm open until 2." Variety was limited (no toro, mirugai . . .), but he was very forthcoming on recommending what was good. Amaebi was very good and came with the fried heads. Sea urchin was good, but not great; he said he sources it from San Diego instead of Santa Barbara. His salmon skin handroll had its crunchiness emphasized by including gobo. Importantly the rice was nicely seasoned, appeared fresh (of course, I got there at 12:15 pm and lunch does not run as long as dinner, so I do not know if the rice is as good in the evening), and his use of wasabi was spot on for me. Portion size was also appropriate with rice a little smaller than your thumb and the fish a little bigger than a bite and a half. Price was very reasonable: mostly $4-6 for two pieces (uni might have been $8). I asked for his advice on finishing up, he liked the tai, and so I ordered it as sashimi. He served it with a "special" sauce that he claimed his American customers liked :P (shoyu, dashi, yuzu?). Total was $41 not including the tip for four (x2 pieces each) nigiri, one temaki, about ten pieces of sashimi, and one beer.

Good service and nice atmosphere. Kiyo was personable and good natured, the opposite of the stand offish and formal sushi chef stereotype. He was engaged in conversations with regulars and soon included me on such subjects as how far out salmon should be caught before it was fit for raw consumption.

Thanks for the recommendation jparrott. When I was leaving Kiyo asked me if I worked in the area. I told him that I was only visiting San Diego (I would have returned for lunch on the next day but he is not open for lunch on Saturday), but I came on the strong recommendation of one of his fans!

On Michael Ruhlman's blog, "Next Iron Chef America" candidate, Chef Gavin Kaysen, gave some perspective about the lack of seasoning on his frog legs. Perspective (scroll down).

Here is a link to a Google Map: the chef's hotel and restaurant are in Rancho Bernardo, and took some damage in the fire. Kaysen hasn't seen it yet, though, and himself has not been evacuated.

I know three farmers down there, and a fruit grower whose orchard is on the fringers of the Fallbrook fire.

Just praying for rain, here. :blink:

Last month we stayed in San Diego for a couple of days before our cruise down the Mexican coast. Our favorite restaurant for dinner by far was Café Sevilla. EXCELLENT FOOD! Jim wrote about it on my blog. Another great place was Royal Thai which he also mentions in the same post. Both are located in the Gaslamp District.

Lunch at Tin Fish proved disappointing. We stopped there only because it was next to our hotel and we'd spent the morning walking all over the place. The trolley we took back to the hotel stops in front of Tin Fish which is why we gave it a try. Just about everything was fried and flavor was hit and miss. The one thing I laughed about was see a pigeon with a gimpy leg use the handicapped ramp to climb up to the outdoor patio. No stairs for this fine feathered friend.

For breakfast on the morning of the cruise we ate at an Irish Pub called Dublin Square. It had a wonderful feel to it and the food was good and plentiful. It did seem odd to us East Coasters to see guys drinking beer and watching NFL games at 9 AM.