Momo's, U Street Corridor - Closed

I had a nice plate of chicken wings at the new sports bar, Momo, on 13th & U.

Well, they call it a sports bar. It feels more like an upscale bar that spent a couple thousand dollars on LCDs, but they've got pitchers and bar food and it works.

The wings were covered in a sweet-but-not-too-sweet honey bbq sauce, and they were big, meaty and delicious. The nachos -- with chips made in-house -- were also a pleasant surprise.

Alex

I had a nice plate of chicken wings at the new sports bar, Momo, on 13th & U.

Well, they call it a sports bar. It feels more like an upscale bar that spent a couple thousand dollars on LCDs, but they've got pitchers and bar food and it works.

The wings were covered in a sweet-but-not-too-sweet honey bbq sauce, and they were big, meaty and delicious. The nachos -- with chips made in-house -- were also a pleasant surprise.

Alex

My ears are perking up at the mention of good nachos. They are hard to find.

Shhhhhhhhh!

It's funny, this was going to be my initial post above, but it's inevitable that this place will be packed in no time. DC is just devoid of good places to go watch sporting events that are not complete dives or chain restaurants... ;)

I was here on Monday to watch the Caps/Flyers game before heading to 930 Club with a couple friends. Still not all that discovered yet... which I like. They had the primary sound on for the Wizards shellacking... but they offered to put me in the corner by the window with one of the smaller TVs and turned on that sound for me... which was very cool. Couple Hoegaarden drafts, and 4 caps goals made for a good evening (too bad it was short-circuited the next night; ok Koharski, would you care to explain why that's not goalie interference, or would you just like another donut?). Mushroom/swiss burger was decent, but nothing special... ditto fries. It was a bit strange to be in a "sports bar" and to be the only one screaming when the Caps scored. The upstairs was closed. But I'll come back to check it out sometime.

Bump! Any recent visits?

I still duck in here every now and then to watch a game or grab a beer, but I think the quality of the food has gone down over the past year or two. Burger temps are unreliable and the nachos have fallen off. I've been happier eating and watching sports at the bar at Ulah Bistro, and the burgers at Desperados are flat-out delicious.

Alex

A lot of days they don't even have food... particularly weeknights.... you'd think a sports bar would have food for monday night football.... but no. We used to come here fairly frequently after playing soccer at Cardozo... and mondays in particular seem to be dead with only the first floor open and a closed kitchen.... whenever the kitchen is closed though, they're cool about you bringing food in.