Frozen Mussels

Sthitch

We also orders mussels, which were cooked perfectly, because the restaurant gets them fresh, not frozen, which makes a huge difference in the texture and just the overall presentation.

I am no expert on mussels, but this is the first time I have ever heard that they are available frozen. I would be interested to know who might be serving frozen mussels.

I am no expert on mussels, but this is the first time I have ever heard that they are available frozen. I would be interested to know who might be serving frozen mussels.

I'm no expert either, but I was told that new zealand mussels come here frozen and not fresh. Maybe I'm wrong...

I took it from the posters description that he or she was referring to whole shell mussels being procured fresh not frozen. The article that you linked to appears to be describing the frozen mussels as being either half shell green mussels, or ones that have been shelled prior to being frozen.

If they were whole shell mussels that had been frozen they would not open when they were cooked since they would already be dead.
not true. the inductor muscle is a protein that melts at a certain temperature. it just wont spring open like the very fresh variety.