Water Filtration

Al Dente

I've had a recent run of bad luck with Brita water pitchers. I've always hated the design-- loose leaky lids, plastic flap doohickeys that break off, water that seems to bypass the filter, crappy ergonomics, cheap-ass materials, etc. :lol:

I live in an apartment so I don't want to make any changes to the plumbing in order to install some sort of built-in filtration system. So, for now, I'm stuck with going the pitcher route.

Is anyone out there happy with a particular brand/model?

I've had a recent run of bad luck with Brita water pitchers. I've always hated the design-- loose leaky lids, plastic flap doohickeys that break off, water that seems to bypass the filter, crappy ergonomics, cheap-ass materials, etc. :lol:

I live in an apartment so I don't want to make any changes to the plumbing in order to install some sort of built-in filtration system. So, for now, I'm stuck with going the pitcher route.

Is anyone out there happy with a particular brand/model?

We went with a cooler from Drink More Water. Of course now, paranoid sort that I am, I am worried that the water comes in #7 plastic bottles.

I live in an apartment so I don't want to make any changes to the plumbing...

Would one of those screw-onto-the tap models qualify as a change to the plumbing? If not, then I would go that route. They're much easier than pitchers and cheaper overall, I believe. The Brita ones are actually pretty good, better than Pur in my experience, and replacement filters are widely available.

Would one of those screw-onto-the tap models qualify as a change to the plumbing? If not, then I would go that route. They're much easier than pitchers and cheaper overall, I believe. The Brita ones are actually pretty good, better than Pur in my experience, and replacement filters are widely available.
The Pur ones are pretty leaky. I feel like we might have a leaky Brita one at some point too. I've always been curious about these... Back where I grew up we had this program where they had filtered or spring water where you filled up your own jugs and bottles. Probably not nearly as inexpensive, but was sorta nice. I feel like I might have seen them out in the burbs here, but I can't remember.

I've thought of those, but my tap doesn't have a lot of clearance from the bottom of my sink, so I'd have to install one of those tall loopy taps. In other words, I don't think that'll work for me. :lol:

The Pur ones are pretty leaky. I feel like we might have a leaky Brita one at some point too. I've always been curious about these... Back where I grew up we had this program where they had filtered or spring water where you filled up your own jugs and bottles. Probably not nearly as inexpensive, but was sorta nice. I feel like I might have seen them out in the burbs here, but I can't remember.

I have one of these and love it. My sink doesn't have a lot of clearance either so I can't stick it in the sink to fill. But a measuring cup, pint glass, metal part of a boston shaker, mixing bowl, etc all work wonders in filling the tank quickly. You could also put it in the tub to fill it real quick like. :lol:

Cheers,

Marshall

I hated the Brita pitchers as well since I'd spill water alot of the time when the lid fell off. We got a larger Brita that has a tap on the front (that looks similar to the Pur pitcher in the link a few posts up) so you just hit a button to let the water out instead of pouring. That seemed to be working better for us, though we moved to a house where the fridge had a water tap on the door (with filter) so we haven't really used the larger Brita pitcher much to see how it would have turned out.

If you have a bit of room, a water cooler is an option as well. I friend of mine has one in his apartment and he loves it.

I hated the Brita pitchers as well since I'd spill water alot of the time when the lid fell off. We got a larger Brita that has a tap on the front (that looks similar to the Pur pitcher in the link a few posts up) so you just hit a button to let the water out instead of pouring. That seemed to be working better for us, though we moved to a house where the fridge had a water tap on the door (with filter) so we haven't really used the larger Brita pitcher much to see how it would have turned out.

If you have a bit of room, a water cooler is an option as well. I friend of mine has one in his apartment and he loves it.

I've had the water cooler kind for years. It's much easier to use than a regular britta.