Locolat Cafe, Belgian Chocolate in Adams Morgan - Niel and Ada Piferoen's Belgian Chocolaterie - Closed

Having been under construction for what seems like eons, Locolat Belgian Chocolate has opened in Adams Morgan. I stopped by and had some delightful treats this afternoon.

The chocolate covered meringue was delicious! I loved the meringue but the chocolate was even better, dark and rich. I also had a version of the "kit kat" which blew me away. My only complaint was its size, too small! laugh.gif

Surprisingly the iced coffee was great! They are serving a brew from Beligium.

What I didn't try included the cakes which look amazing!

I look forward to visiting the cafe again, but hopefully not too often! So, others on the dr.com board must to make sure it remains in the neighborhood!

Right now they are figuring out their hours. Tonight they are going to stay open later than 9 p.m. to see what the interest is.

Glad to take one for the team!

Right now they are figuring out their hours. Tonight they are going to stay open later than 9 p.m. to see what the interest is.

They were closed when I drove by at 10:30.

Even though they are in Adams Morgan they are off the beaten path so they are going to need to do some serious PR/advertising so people wander over from 18th street.

So, a friend and I had plans to have Larry's ice cream this afternoon, but when we arrived... Larry's was dark! No Larry! What to do? I suggested that chocolate might be a way to ease our wounded palates, and so we strolled back to Locolat.

The Chef, Niel Piferoen, was in the spotless open kitchen, churning out waffles and waffle cookies. His lovely wife Ada was behind the counter and explained what we had in front of us. Jose decided he would have the lime, coffee, and cappuccino candies. I had the banana, pistachio, mojito, and feuilletine candies. And then we split a box of 5 truffles: white chocolate, dark, milk, coconut, and croquant. Our chocolate damage came to $16. Then we sat down to indulge.

The favorites for us this afternoon of the candies were the mojito, banana, lime, and coffee. I think of the truffles my favorite was the dark chocolate or the coconut, but really? It's not like I'd be turning any of them down anytime soon.

The waffles look and smell sinfully good. We did not have them, although in the end I had to ask about the cookies- which I tasted one of and then bought a bag, along with truffles for Nick's parents.

There were also small sandwiches and pastries and cakes (and not-so-small cakes)...

Verdict? I approve! I do not approve of the proximity to my apartment though. I ended up walking 6.5 miles today in hopes of repairing the damage wrought.

After a long day of hearing many kids throwing tantrums at the Thomas the Tank Engine show up at the Baltimore B&O Railroad Museum, Ada's smiling and warm welcome at the counter instantly put me at ease. The husband, Niel, was in the kitchen, making goodies that warm the heart, like chocolate and the best belgium waffles I have had in a long while. Gebaby (the little man) and I split a Belgian Waffle with fruit compote and whip cream for $5.95, adding a side dish of Mixed berries for $3.95. The berries came in a small soup cup size filled to the brim with berries and a healthy dose of freshly whipped cream, of which both were pretty evident in mustache form on gebaby.

The waffle was a good size, enough for 1 or to share with a child, and was fluffy, with a great flavor and moist. I felt like it all melted in my mouth and brought me back to the times I had similar types of waffles in Japan and Taiwan. Coupled with a great chilled, well-tea-seeped ice tea, I felt much calmer and unwound.

This place is a bit hidden, as previous posters have mentioned, and at 4:00pm on a Sunday afternoon, it was quiet with maybe two tables other than me occupied outside. Granted, the whole place probably seats only 15, if that, maybe a bit more, but I would love for them to stay and be frequented and enjoyed.

Edited by goodeats

When I wake up most Sundays, I unfortunately keep forgetting about this place. Having driven by the last several weekends *after* eating lunch, I resolved to go this weekend. And so we did. Nearly every outdoor table was taken on this lovely afternoon, but I didn't mind sitting indoors. The chilled sorrel soup with salmon was very very good; tangy and refreshing, and adorned with chive flowers.

I also opted to have a waffle with compote, whipped cream, berries and ice cream. The ice cream was too much; the waffle would have been perfect with just the strawberries, powdered sugar, compote, and cream. Freshly whipped, the cream was dangerously airy, and went down far too easily.

They've got savory waffles, too, as well as grilled sandwiches and savory puff pastries (variations on leek and ham). For all that the shop is tucked away on the corner of florida and u, this has a nice view, lots of light, and a wide range of brunch options. And, of course, chocolates. Lots of chocolates.

On a rainy day like today, I am unsure why, but a good belgian waffle was what I wanted for comfort food this morning. After bundling up gelittleman*, we set off to split the usual Brussels Waffle with whipped cream & fruit compote. I really liked all their pumpkin specials: pumpkin soup; pumpkin liege waffle; and a third one that just escaped me. They also have great looking jack-o-stones and other graveyard chocolate pieces for sale. I also couldn't resist their waffle cookies, which are buttery and crispy - hit the spot on the comfort level.

I need to remember to visit more often here...

*People were saying gebaby needed an upgrade, so the little man was added on for his 3.0 version, in case anyone was wondering....

On a rainy day like today, I am unsure why, but a good belgian waffle was what I wanted for comfort food this morning. After bundling up gelittleman*, we set off to split the usual Brussels Waffle with whipped cream & fruit compote. I really liked all their pumpkin specials: pumpkin soup; pumpkin liege waffle; and a third one that just escaped me. They also have great looking jack-o-stones and other graveyard chocolate pieces for sale. I also couldn't resist their waffle cookies, which are buttery and crispy - hit the spot on the comfort level.

I need to remember to visit more often here...

I appreciated this report, goodeats. I've yet to visit Locolat and really need to go. I used to live in Belgium, so I'm always on the lookout for a good Liège waffle. smile.gif

So, a friend and I had plans to have Larry's ice cream this afternoon, but when we arrived... Larry's was dark! No Larry! What to do? I suggested that chocolate might be a way to ease our wounded palates, and so we strolled back to Locolat.

The Chef, Niel Piferoen, was in the spotless open kitchen, churning out waffles and waffle cookies. His lovely wife Ada was behind the counter and explained what we had in front of us. Jose decided he would have the lime, coffee, and cappuccino candies. I had the banana, pistachio, mojito, and feuilletine candies. And then we split a box of 5 truffles: white chocolate, dark, milk, coconut, and croquant. Our chocolate damage came to $16. Then we sat down to indulge.

The favorites for us this afternoon of the candies were the mojito, banana, lime, and coffee. I think of the truffles my favorite was the dark chocolate or the coconut, but really? It's not like I'd be turning any of them down anytime soon.

The waffles look and smell sinfully good. We did not have them, although in the end I had to ask about the cookies- which I tasted one of and then bought a bag, along with truffles for Nick's parents.

There were also small sandwiches and pastries and cakes (and not-so-small cakes)...

Verdict? I approve! I do not approve of the proximity to my apartment though. I ended up walking 6.5 miles today in hopes of repairing the damage wrought.

Niel and Ada Piferoen sold Locolat to the owner of Hawthorne Fine Breakfast Pastry, Jessica Knudson. The cafe's name has changed to Hans Pedr' Kaffe. The cafe opens earlier now, and serves Vigilante coffee.