Gelato/Sorbetto Project

smithhemb

I just bought a new gelato machine (the kind with the refrigeration unit built in) and already it wants an accessory. My husband is requesting bowls that keep the sorbetto cold. (It has a nice texture right out of the machine, but a tendency to melt if you dish out a large quantity :lol: ). I thought I remembered seeing what looked like stemless martini glasses that sit atop a rounded glass filled with ice. But I can't figure out what they are called or where to find them. (Checked Williams Sonoma and Sur la Table). Any hints? And/or alternative solutions (aside from smaller portions or wait, LOL!). Would those little aluminum ice cream bowls work well enough?

I'm also interested in recipes. I've read the old gelato thread (that starts with caramel pecan and Lewes Dairy) and will acquire a copy of The Perfect Scoop.

Put the bowls in the freezer, just like with drinks. Or if you don't have room in your freezer, do it the way the bartenders do and pour ice water in. It takes more energy, therefore increased melting to bring something up to temperature than for it to get to melting temperature. You can also use smaller bowls in larger bowls with ice surrounding them if you don't care about looks.

I'm also interested in recipes. I've read the old gelato thread (that starts with caramel pecan and Lewes Dairy) and will acquire a copy of The Perfect Scoop.
Ben & Jerry's recipe book has 3 different variations on ice cream base, plus numerous recipes. The bases work well enough in my similar unit.

This year, for Passover, I made charoseth ice cream, using one of the B&J bases, Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon, half a can of apple pie filling, rinsed to remove goo, and a small amount of Concord Grape wine. I served it in tiny balls inside a hollowed out persimmon, with persimmon balls as well. It was a big hit. (We make Sephardic charoseth, using dates and figs, for the actual meal, because everyone prefers it to the old apple/walnut stuff.)

For sorbets, I puree fresh fruit and add simple syrup to taste and texture, with a teaspoon of rum or vodka to prevent it from freezing too hard. The peach sorbet I made this way was particularly stunning.