Tarbouch Mediterrean Grill, North Arlington

Milady and I have been once, but it was pre-patio installation (I don't believe it had many tables on the inside at that point, either). It's heartening to see it rocking now from time to time, because the food was pretty good and inexpensive. It's basic lebanese stuff (fettoush, shawarma, tabbouleh, etc.) plus some larger kabob platters.

We didn't go back after the one time because now when we have a craving for Lebanese, Me Jana is equidistant from our apartment and they win taste-wise.

The wifey, her mother and I sat on the patio for lunch this past weekend. Really nice spot, especially when the weather is mild like it was on Saturday. Our server was a sweetheart and the lamb chop special was very tasty (even if it was a bit overcooked), but I found the MIL and wifey's kabobs to be too dry. You could see the effort put in on everything, though, and nothing could taste bad when slathered in the pink sauce that came with the kabobs.

Nothing memorable but cheaper than Lebanese Taverna and looks like a fun place to sit out at night and drink.

We have been a few times. The kabobs are ok. Had the lamb once and it was overcooked also. Decent Lebanese for the price.

The owners appear to have made a good effort fixing the place up. However, I think the reason for the big late night crowd are the hookahs, not the food.

We have been a few times. The kabobs are ok. Had the lamb once and it was overcooked also. Decent Lebanese for the price.

The owners appear to have made a good effort fixing the place up. However, I think the reason for the big late night crowd are the hookahs, not the food.

I have to second the reason for the crowd as probably the "hookahs"... this patio is constantly packed (even on a weeknight 10, 11, etc.) and there's a flat screen tv outside! We've been about a dozen times for quick lunches and a few take-outs... food is pretty good - seems like it's not as good as it had been before - maybe it's the bigger crowds now? last time we ordered though - we decided we probably will consider Lebanese Taverna (market or the restaurants) next time if it's as convenient (haven't tried Me Jana yet - so I can't vouch there)... reason we'd put Tarbouch lower down our "got to" list:

the grape leaves were very teeny last time around at Tarbouch

the hummus isn't as good or fresh tasting as LT

on one occasion, my husband noticed his pita coming out of a store bought plastic bag - not the nice poufy fresh bread you get at LT

and several items I requested on a Sunday afternoon were "unavailable" b/c the supplier hadn't delivered... like the Fattoush salad?

The kabobs and sandwiches are good - but sometimes they are on pita... sometimes on a sub roll - I prefer consistency... :lol:

The owner is always very friendly and doesn't seem to have a problem filling the place now.. it's nice to have it on the corner there! It's right down the street from us - so we liken it to grabbing a bite to eat like the Italian Store, etc. but not a sit down and dine, have a few drinks kind of place... that's us... if you're into the Hookah - then maybe Tarbouch should be on your radar for an evening out! :lol:

We had been before the new owners bought the place, and we enjoyed it. We went back after and didn't find the same quality of ingredients or the same care put into cooking them. We, too, prefer Me Jana (thanks, folks, now I NEED a Me Jana chicken shawarma! Agh!)

I have not been here yet, but I have noticed in the last week or so, the outside seating area has exploded, expanding into their parking lot. And tonight, at around midnight, nearly every seat out there seemed filled. Granted, this was late and it was just a drive by, but I was so amazed by the sight.

Has anyone gone lately?

Haven't been lately. We too loved the place before the new ownership, but it was a lot quieter, apparently the new business style attracts more customers. I agree it is for the Hookahs. The care in the cooking isn't what it used to be. We used to get it for delivery or take out, now we just go a few blocks up to Lebanese Taverna Market instead.