Chilled Soups

Seanchai

With the weather getting nice and sticky, I was wondering if anybody had some good recipes for chilled soups. I've done roasted tomato and basil soup, but it never comes out as refreshing as when I have something similar in a restaurant (and tastes much better hot than cold). Any thoughts? A nice cold cucumber soup would hit the spot right now as I sit in my sweltering office.

With the weather getting nice and sticky, I was wondering if anybody had some good recipes for chilled soups. I've done roasted tomato and basil soup, but it never comes out as refreshing as when I have something similar in a restaurant (and tastes much better hot than cold). Any thoughts? A nice cold cucumber soup would hit the spot right now as I sit in my sweltering office.

I just stumbled across this cold soup compendium yesterday. I made the Turkish Cacik with cucmbers, Fage yougurt, garlic, dill and mint. Unfortunately the 1 clove of garlic I used was freakishly strong. I have purchased more cucumbers today and hope to salvage the "fragrant" but otherwise tasty concotion.

Notable soups at the link now on my soup-to-do list include apple cucumber, nectarine and avocado poblano.

I grew up eating cold schav--a Russian sorrel soup--in the summertime. I found a recipe that sounds similar to what my mother made. I would saute an onion and cook it with the sorrel. My mom often made it with spinach and lemon juice when she couldn't find sorrel. Thick plain yogurt could be substituted for sour cream. Be sure to add the cucumber and scallion garnish.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=226069

I just stumbled across this cold soup compendium yesterday. I made the Turkish Cacik with cucmbers, Fage yougurt, garlic, dill and mint. Unfortunately the 1 clove of garlic I used was freakishly strong. I have purchased more cucumbers today and hope to salvage the "fragrant" but otherwise tasty concotion.

Notable soups at the link now on my soup-to-do list include apple cucumber, nectarine and avocado poblano.

Wow, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

I grew up eating cold schav--a Russian sorrel soup--in the summertime. I found a recipe that sounds similar to what my mother made. I would saute an onion and cook it with the sorrel. My mom often made it with spinach and lemon juice when she couldn't find sorrel. Thick plain yogurt could be substituted for sour cream. Be sure to add the cucumber and scallion garnish.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=226069

Here's an ajo blanco that I made.

Posted with permission, below is the recipe for the Chilled Sorrel Soup from Corduroy.

Corduroy's Chilled Sorrel Soup

2 gallons chicken stock

6 ounces shallots, sliced

2 tablespoons butter

3 pounds sorrel, divided

1 cup heavy cream

20 egg yolks (this is not a typo)

Bring chicken stock to a boil. In a separate pan, sauté butter and shallots. Before shallots caramelize, add 2 pounds of sorrel and sauté until sorrel leaves are wilted. Add heavy cream and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Slowly add the simmered liquid to the egg yolks, place mixture back on heat, and whisk thoroughly (do not let mixture boil). Place the pot into an ice bath. Once mixture is cold add the remaining pound of sorrel and blend finely. Strain mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste.