Sabor Restaurant, Silver Spring

Sabor has become one of my go-to places over the last few months. I wrote about it on eGullet, and figure it could use a little attention on this board too. Here's my eG post:

Pupusas (loroco and revueltas) with slaw and salsa see below

Tacos Mexicanos (lengua and carne) Little housemade corn tortillas, filled with meat, diced red onion, cilantro, shredded radish, and a fantastic limey green salsa. Delicious, especially the tender and juicy lengua.

Ensalada de Chicharonnes Good combo of tomato, red onion, shredded radish, tomato vinaigrette, and pork rinds.

Chile Relleno A special. Stuffed with meat, not cheese. Agreeable but bland.

Sabor has the best pupusas I've eaten in the Washington area: crisp, thin as a crepe, and tasting of corn. Slaw was just OK, but I was willing to eat the pupusas plain. No atmosphere, and a slight language barrier, both more than made up for by the incredible bargain prices. No liquor license.

Fun fact: owned by Jorge Chicas, Culinary Director of Special Projects in Thinkfoodgroup, the management company for Jose Andres' restaurants.

Here's a link to Tim's review in the City Paper.

The curtido is still a little bland, but the salsa makes up for it, and the tacos de lengua have been super every time.

Sabor Restaurant

8484 Piney Branch Rd

Silver Spring, MD 20901

(301) 565-0054

Had my first pupusas there today. The Torta Mexicanos also looked quite good.

Loved the corn part and execution: crispy, soft and warm, and could see myself become a fan of the dish, easy.

Wasn't wowed by fillings, though, being especially disappointed by the revueltas which didn't taste very porcine.

Forgive me, but thoughts of fusion cuisine sprang to mind as I lunched. Imagined pulled pork and braised greens as innards. Spicy sausage. Ragu, grated cheese and crema (as in a stuffed polenta). Sauteed mushrooms and gooey cheese.

Forgive me, but thoughts of fusion cuisine sprang to mind as I lunched. Imagined pulled pork and braised greens as innards. Spicy sausage. Ragu, grated cheese and crema (as in a stuffed polenta). Sauteed mushrooms and gooey cheese.

Pork Belly papusa...that would be da bomb!