La' Jawab Kabob House, Indian and Pakistani on Lee Highway in North Arlington - Closed

I had lunch today at this recently opened Halal-meat hamlet, in the same shopping center as Caribbean Grill, Yorktown Bistro, Saran, etc. on Lee Highway and George Mason Drive. Just look what $6.95 bought me ...

A lunch buffet, served 11-3 M-F, with four different Halal meats:

Tandoori chicken tikka

Goat curry with squash

Paya (trotters cooked overnight on low heat)

Dal Gosht curry with beef

as well as pure vegan options:

Chana Masala (chickpeas)

Aloo Gobi with fresh carrots

Saag (spinach)

Biryani

and the charming Ms. Khan even brought me out a fresh-baked round of naan.

Weekend specials include Mukta Gosht (lamb or goat shank cooked overnight), Degi Cherga (a whole chicken, deep-fried and steamed), and Nehari (beef shank cooked overnight).

As much as I love a good hamburger, let's maintain some perspective: This is a husband and wife team, trying to eek out a living in a busy, but somewhat blighted strip of Lee Highway. $6.95 for all-you-can-eat high-quality meat and fresh vegetables, well-cooked, and backed by friendly family owners who couldn't even conceive of hiring marketing agents, and have probably never heard of this website. I'm HAPPY to support them. Open until 10 PM, seven nights a week, with carryout menu and catering available.

I was the only person in the restaurant the entire time I was there, and that should not be the case. I realize this place isn't trendy or buzzy, and never will be, but come on.

Cheers,

Rocks.

That place used to be called The House of Biryani and I think it recently changed ownership. We get carryout from there on a semi-regular basis, it's not bad (though not quite as good as Ravi Kabob). The lunch buffet is sounding pretty good right about now...

How come you didn't have lunch at Yorktown Bistro?

That place used to be called The House of Biryani and I think it recently changed ownership. We get carryout from there on a semi-regular basis, it's not bad (though not quite as good as Ravi Kabob). The lunch buffet is sounding pretty good right about now...

How come you didn't have lunch at Yorktown Bistro?

I agree it's not as good as Ravi Kabob (although my last Chicken Karahi at Ravi Kabob was surprisingly dry). I wanted something quick, the buffet appealed to me, and I wanted to give La' Jawab a try.

I agree it's not as good as Ravi Kabob (although my last Chicken Karahi at Ravi Kabob was surprisingly dry). I wanted something quick, the buffet appealed to me, and I wanted to give La' Jawab a try.

Do they have the buffet on the weekends also? You don't happen to have a takeout menu you could scan in do you?

I thought I'd try the lunch buffet here today, but they didn't have it. It seems they've discontinued it because I saw it was crossed out on the front page of their paper menu (that's the second discontinued lunch buffet I've recently encountered). Instead I had a chapli kabob (two spiced ground beef patties) which came with rice, lettuce, naan, and a side of chickpeas. I liked the patties, which were juicy/a bit greasy with hot pepper seeds sprinkled throughout. Unlike when Don went, there were other customers there for lunch too.

I had lunch today at this recently opened Halal-meat hamlet, in the same shopping center as Caribbean Grill, Yorktown Bistro, Saran, etc. on Lee Highway and George Mason Drive. Just look what $6.95 bought me ...

A lunch buffet, served 11-3 M-F, with four different Halal meats:

Tandoori chicken tikka

Goat curry with squash

Paya (trotters cooked overnight on low heat)

Dal Gosht curry with beef

as well as pure vegan options:

Chana Masala (chickpeas)

Aloo Gobi with fresh carrots

Saag (spinach)

Biryani

and the charming Ms. Khan even brought me out a fresh-baked round of naan.

Weekend specials include Mukta Gosht (lamb or goat shank cooked overnight), Degi Cherga (a whole chicken, deep-fried and steamed), and Nehari (beef shank cooked overnight).

As much as I love a good hamburger, let's maintain some perspective: This is a husband and wife team, trying to eek out a living in a busy, but somewhat blighted strip of Lee Highway. $6.95 for all-you-can-eat high-quality meat and fresh vegetables, well-cooked, and backed by friendly family owners who couldn't even conceive of hiring marketing agents, and have probably never heard of this website. I'm HAPPY to support them. Open until 10 PM, seven nights a week, with carryout menu and catering available.

I was the only person in the restaurant the entire time I was there, and that should not be the case. I realize this place isn't trendy or buzzy, and never will be, but come on.

Cheers,

Rocks.

This restaurant closed because people suck.

People suck, and I'm sick of television-watching manatees throwing their money at celebrity maggots when perfectly decent restaurants like La' Jawab succumb to the obesity-enhanced inertia of our once-great nation's fast-food mindset.