Lehigh Valley, PA

u-bet!

I will be taking a day trip to Allentown next weekend, and I'm looking for a place to eat a late lunch/early dinner. I have been to the area before and have eaten at Gregory's Steakhouse near the airport, and had a hot dog from Yocco's once upon a time. I was thinking of trying the Allentown Brewhouse, but was also hoping I could get some recommendations for some other options. My only constraint is that I don't have a whole lot of time (looking at someplace I can get in and out in about an hour).

Thanks!

I will be taking a day trip to Allentown next weekend, and I'm looking for a place to eat a late lunch/early dinner. I have been to the area before and have eaten at Gregory's Steakhouse near the airport, and had a hot dog from Yocco's once upon a time. I was thinking of trying the Allentown Brewhouse, but was also hoping I could get some recommendations for some other options. My only constraint is that I don't have a whole lot of time (looking at someplace I can get in and out in about an hour).

Thanks!

For a meal in an hour in Allentown, i'd probably say Werts Cafe for burgers or the Brass Rail for a classic Allentown experience. There really isn't that much good in Allentown. Pistachios cafe might be another option for some decent salads and sandwiches. Bethlehem has some pretty good options though if you are up that way.

I ended up at the Allentown Brew Works, located right smack in the middle of (what passes for) downtown*.

Dissapointment right off the bat, when I found out they were out of the Hop Exlposion which I had taken note of on their web site prior to my trip, and which I was really interested in trying, as I come from the "the-hoppier-the-better" school of beer connosseurmanship. After a couple of generously-offered samples, I settled on the Amber Ale which was good, but not quite hoppy enough for my taste. Liked it better than the lager, though. More than a few menu items piqued my interest, including about 10 different sauces (coffee barbecue?) offered with the Buffalo Wings. I asked the very pleasant (but periodically inattentive) bartender to help me decide between the 2500-Degree Griller, (a Buffalo-style chicken sandwich) and the Symphony Hall Ribeye Steak Sandwich. She said it comes down to whether you want chicken or beef, but didn't steer me in either direction. I settled on the Griller, which is a grilled chicken breast brushed with a buffalo wing-style sauce, topped with pepper jack cheese and Jalapeno peppers, and drizzled with blue cheese dressing on a soft Kaiser roll. The sandwich was very tasty and sufficiently spicy, and the side order of coleslaw was outstanding, sweet and very creamy.

If you're ever in Allentown (and what are the chances of THAT happening), you could do much worse than the Brew Works. I know, because I have.

*Note to A-town city fathers and mothers: If you really want to gentrify this area, which you appear to be trying to do, don't make people feed the meters on Saturdays. You're not quite there yet.