Sakina Halal Grill (Formerly Mayur Kabab House), Owner Kazi Mannan's Pakistani, Nepalese, and Indian Cuisine at 11th and K Street, East Downtown

I feel like I am on a mission to find really good, fast, and tasty lunch places while working downtown near Metro Center for this month. :lol: Today's find was based on a recent post for quick lunch ideas near Metro Center (see post #12 for original suggestion), specifically, a recommendation for Mayur Kabab House. Having driven past there numerous times, but not brave enough to go in until today, I was quite pleased with the results.

For lunch, the best option is their Lunch Buffet for $8.00 (tax included). The buffet, which can be dine-in or carry out (I chose the latter) includes four vegetable dishes, chicken curry (bone-in), chicken kabab (also bone-in) and rice and baked naan. The portions were HUGE, to the extent that I now have dinner too.

The vegetable dishes for today were: daal, paneer with peas, an eggplant dish, and a cauliflower dish. The eggplant was very soft and flavorful and the chicken kabob and curry chicken both very moist and not dried out from the burners. Would definitely go back.

I actually disagree here. I've been a few times and found, at the price, the buffet to be the wrong way to go, especially if you enjoy lamb/beef. The chicken, while good enough, is easily outshown by the Chapli Kabob, the Karahi Lamb, and the Keema IMO. None of these items is ever available on the buffet, but all can be gotten (individually) for around the same price.

Give one of the lamb or beef dishes a try next time. I think you'll find that you enjoy them more than anything on the buffet (if you're into lamb and beef) :lol: .

I called tonight, knowing that their (old) website wasn't working.

A gentleman answered, and I asked if they had a website, because I tried their old one and it wasn't working.

"Yes, he replied. It's www.finefood2u.com."

Okay, so I tried that and it came up as Takeout Taxi (and indeed, Mayur Kabob House has their menu listed there, but no hours, or any other information.)

I called them back just to make sure I wasn't making some sort of mistake, and nobody picked up the phone.

So ... no more website for Mayur Kabab House, sigh.

You have no idea how hard I work on this Dining Guide,

Rocks.

Just was here for lunch to try the buffet, which had a very nice and varied vegetable dishes. The chickpeas were quite well prepared and flavored. I may have caught them on an off day, or in between replenishing the buffet, as there was very few meat options.

They now have a new website http://www.mayurkababhousedc.com

Tandoori Time has a nice buffet as well, and always has two proteins available. They were related, as you can see here

2 hours ago, SilverBullitt said:

I thought this was an inspiring story about the owner and his vision for the restaurant.

Did you mean to link to this? I agree -- totally inspiring. I love South Asian food, and this place isn't far from my office. It's been on my radar for years, but I've never tried it. It may be time!

On 11/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, dracisk said:

Did you mean to link to this?

Yes, thank you for the link.  I too work nearby and will try it because of this article.  I went several times under the old owner and found the food to be old school N. Indian- tasty, spicy, and very oily.  It was hard to stay awake and to have a calm tummy in the afternoon (I had to drink a lot of ginger water).  I will probably focus more on the grilled food (Pakistanis are known for that) and less on the curries.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 12:00 PM, dracisk said:

They changed their name to Sakina Halal Grill.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:27 PM, SilverBullitt said:

Yes, thank you for the link.  I too work nearby and will try it because of this article.  I went several times under the old owner and found the food to be old school N. Indian- tasty, spicy, and very oily.  It was hard to stay awake and to have a calm tummy in the afternoon (I had to drink a lot of ginger water).  I will probably focus more on the grilled food (Pakistanis are known for that) and less on the curries.

For so many years, I used to drive by Mayur Kabob House, having just made a beeline to the old Corduroy on 12th and K, and only once did I go (this is before the change of ownership), and I thought it was quite good.

---

Dear Mr. Mannan,

For whatever it's worth, I've got your back. You may be worried about living in America at this time, but you'll never need to worry about this community - I appreciate your kindness and your candor, and very much look forward to coming back in - and it will be sooner rather than later. Thank you for your benevolent stance, for your tribute to your beloved mother, and also for your support of Muslim-Americans - I promise you I'll support you for the things for which you stand (yes, I'll be candid about your cuisine, but restaurants are *so* much more than whether or not there's a correct balance of cumin on a kabob). I believe you'll find the members here to be very much in support of you and what you're doing.

Kind regards,
Don Rockwell

---

Note to our members: If ever there was a time to rekindle our community get-togethers, it's now. Nothing would make me happier, or inspire me more to carry forward.

• Like 4

I went there last week for lunch.  They have a buffet for $14.  It had the dishes that most people are familiar with- tandoori chicken, curry, chickpeas, naan, et al.  Rather than the buffet, I requested the chapli kabob to go.  The kabobs (two spiced, smashed hamburgers) were flavorful and moist.  The accompanying chickpeas were tasty and “creamy”, the vegetable curry was good and the basmati rice was excellent-fragrant, the grains unbroken and separate.  The naan was fine.  There was plenty of food. 

The ambiance is soothing (previously, it had a fast-food vibe) and the staff is friendly.  I think it is a solid place for reasonably-priced North Indian/Pakistani food.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

The latest on Sakina. I'm thankful for people like Kazi Mannan.

"D.C. Restaurant Feeds the Poor and Homeless Every Single Day." by Caroline Patrickis on wjla.com

Why don't we have a fundraiser for Mr. Mannan? We could have a dinner there, or I could even do a GoFundMe page, with every penny given to him in the form of "do what you want" cash. I'm leery about the latter because I've never done one before, but I'm open to it.