Queen Elizabeth Cake?

brettashley01

A friend of mine described his favorite cake in the world. And I am on a mission to bake it.

He called it Queen Elizabeth cake- he had it every year on his birthday growing up- and said it consisted of layers of white cake with bananas, strawberries, frosting. But when I googled Queen Elizabeth cake, all I found were recipes for a date/walnut cake. ??!!

I really want to make this cake! But do we (he) have the name wrong? Or is this just what it's called in Chicago? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Maybe it's just a particular bakery's name for it. I found a cake that sounds like it mentioned on the FAQ page of the website for Deerfields Bakery in IL:

Can I have Fresh Strawberries in my wedding cake?

With the exception of our signature cake, The Queen Elizabeth, we do not offer fresh strawberries as a filling option. Since the wedding cake is on display during the reception, the fruit has a tendency to break down and deteriorate. This is often compounded by the fact that many reception facilities just do not have the extra refrigeration space to spare, so the cake could possibly be without benefit of refrigeration all day.

I couldn't find another description of this cake on their website. But if you can't find a recipe, maybe your friend can give you a description of the filling and frosting or you can call the bakery and ask for a description, and you can create something similar by making a white layer cake and making the filling and frosting separately.

Maybe it's just a particular bakery's name for it. I found a cake that sounds like it mentioned on the FAQ page of the website for Deerfields Bakery in IL:

I couldn't find another description of this cake on their website. But if you can't find a recipe, maybe your friend can give you a description of the filling and frosting or you can call the bakery and ask for a description, and you can create something similar by making a white layer cake and making the filling and frosting separately.

If you look in the wedding section of the web site, they have a picture of what they call the Queen Liz wedding cake. That has strawberries on it, but it's a tiered wedding cake. This is the photo.

Haha, I think that's the exact bakery he ordered it from. In any case they have very responsive customer service:

Hello,

Our Queen Elizabeth cake is a 3 layer yellow cake filled alternately with strawberries, bavarian cream and sliced bananas. Lady fingers and piped whip cream surround the sides of the cake along with whip cream and a strawberry on top. Thank you for your interest!

Now I've got to find a perfect recipe for barvarian cream. Labor intensive...

Haha, I think that's the exact bakery he ordered it from. In any case they have very responsive customer service:

Now I've got to find a perfect recipe for barvarian cream. Labor intensive...

Susan Purdy's A Piece of Cake has a Vanilla Bavarian Cream recipe that looks manageable, but I haven't tried it.