Le Mistral, Old Dominion Drive in McLean - Closed.

And as for George Vetsch? He can now be found at Le Mistral in McLean, where one of his very first battles apparently involved protesting against the frozen ravioli he found waiting for him there.

A special tonight consisted of three slices of tomato on a plate, with a little shredded Swiss cheese on top, heated. No seasoning - just three slices of tomato on a plate, with a little shredded Swiss cheese on top, heated.

Avoid.

A special tonight consisted of three slices of tomato on a plate, with a little shredded Swiss cheese on top, heated. No seasoning - just three slices of tomato on a plate, with a little shredded Swiss cheese on top, heated.

Avoid.

How much for a gem like that?

How much for a gem like that?

To its credit, it was only $7.50.

But!

The bread was okay, perhaps from Marvelous Market, but the butter was "off" to the point of being weird.

A good rendition of corn and crab chowder was $10.00

A bad country pate was $11.00

A bad plate of artichokes was $10.00

If you're looking at what I just wrote, and thinking this place isn't expensive, think again: I didn't dare venture into the ridiculously priced entrees, which start in the mid $20s and go up quickly to the mid $30s. I saw a couple of them, and was completely unimpressed. On top of this, the restaurant feels like a dreary banquet room.

I cherry-picked a couple decent half-bottles of wine from the list:

.375 of 2006 Pabiot Pouilly Fume $26

.375 of 2005 Cheval Brun $28

There's no "easy in" at Le Mistral - glasses of so-so wine start at $10 and go up from there; I figured it was better to spend mid-to-upper $20s on a decent half bottle than $12-14 on lesser wines by the glass (this is often the case, btw).

All in, with tax and tip: $116.

I didn't want to trash this place in my earlier post, but since you asked for clarification ...

Spending my money so you don't have to,

Rocks.

Avoid.

The market tomato I sliced tonight to serve raw proved to be mealy, so I instead broiled 5 slices from the tomato. The slices were topped with fine breadcrumbs, pecorino romano, salt and pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. I wasn't terribly proud of this side dish, but maybe I should be :lol:.

I drive by Le Mistral, on Old Dominion Drive, several days a week around 5:30. Almost every time there is staff in front of the restaurant in waiters' jackets or kitchen aprons, smoking. I find this so unappetizing, that I have never even entered the restaurant. You would think they could at least go behind the building.

In April of this year, Le Mistral closed and was going to reopen under the same management, with the same chef, under the name Rouge Blanc French Bistro and Wine Bar (it was being reconcepted as a less expensive restaurant - a sample menu is here).

However, Rouge Blanc is not open, and I'm not sure it ever opened at all - does anyone know any details?