Super Duper Birthday Cake

My son's firth birthday party is in a few weeks, and I'm in search of a good cake (obviously, less for him than for the adults who will be attending). I thought there was a thread on here about birthday cakes, but a search didn't find anything. Any suggestions for a good ol' fashioned birthday cake? We're in DC, but we're willing to travel to the 'burbs. Thanks.

My son's firth birthday party is in a few weeks, and I'm in search of a good cake (obviously, less for him than for the adults who will be attending). I thought there was a thread on here about birthday cakes, but a search didn't find anything. Any suggestions for a good ol' fashioned birthday cake? We're in DC, but we're willing to travel to the 'burbs. Thanks.

Cakes Plus in Laurel is a good choice---good taste and reasonable prices. You might also do a search of the Chowhound DC board--this question has arisen and been answered numerous times over there.

Avoid Cakelove.

Hey folks -

The husband is turning 35 in a month, and wants a splendid birthday cake.

He likes chocolate, is not so fond of buttercream, loves chocolate mousse cake. His favorite cake of all time was the cake of the day at the old Majestic, but I'm not sure of its source or if you can even get it anymore.

Who are likely suspects to turn out the best cake ever? I'm in Arlington, but I'll travel for goodness.

Here's my shortlist:

- not Cakelove - husband HATES the icing

- Pastries by Randolf, but they sometimes seems a little overrefined

- Heidelberg, but their cake can be a little dry.

thanks!

Hey folks -

The husband is turning 35 in a month, and wants a splendid birthday cake.

He likes chocolate, is not so fond of buttercream, loves chocolate mousse cake. His favorite cake of all time was the cake of the day at the old Majestic, but I'm not sure of its source or if you can even get it anymore.

Who are likely suspects to turn out the best cake ever? I'm in Arlington, but I'll travel for goodness.

I make the drive from Arlington to Rockville to Stella's (Nicholson Drive, next to Taipei-Tokyo). I am not sure if they make Choc. Mousse, but their cakes are really good and not buttercream.

We were at a friend's 40th birthday party this past weekend and the luscious chocolate cake that his wife served was, honestly, one of the best cakes I have ever eaten. I just emailed her to ask where she got it from and her response is below. I thought it was from a high-end bakery. I have not personally been to this place but the cake was really awesome

KABOB PLACE (Patricia)

9904 Georgetown Pike

Great Falls, VA 22066

(703) 757-7788

Our family tradition is a chocolate mousse cake for everyone's birthday. If you are at all inclined to make it yourself, it's pretty easy and can be made in discrete steps over several days. I cheat and use one of the butter recipe yellow cake mixes which yields a moist cake with a nice crumb. For the mousse filling, I use Mark Bittman's recipe from his "How to Cook Everything" and make a double batch. The frosting is a chocolate glaze recipe I got from a chocolate class at 2941 and super simple to work with. PM me if you want assembly instructions or recipes.

FYI: Next time you need to order a birthday (or other) cake, try Praline.

They made a spectacular chocolate mousse cake for a chocolate lover who was tickled pink.

In the whole cake-pie debate, I definitely fall on the cake side, but largely in ideal terms since I have had so many extraordinary fruit and custard pies in recent memory and so many disappointing, dry, flavorless cakes.*

This sheet cake was the ideal with rich, rich dark chocolate layers in between a dense, but light paler chocolate mousse. Given carte blanche to decorate it as they pleased, the bakers made something perfectly tailored to the recipient. Shards of thin, dark chocolate on the sides. Light dusting of cocoa on top w artful, fondant celebratory plaque in center. Elegant and touching.

*With two exceptions, one being carrot.

FYI: Next time you need to order a birthday (or other) cake, try Praline.

They made a spectacular chocolate mousse cake for a chocolate lover who was tickled pink.

Could there possibly have been half-eaten remnants of this cake perched at the back of several vendors' stalls yesterday morning? If so, it looked quite tasty!

Could there possibly have been half-eaten remnants of this cake perched at the back of several vendors' stalls yesterday morning? If so, it looked quite tasty!

Um, yes. And it was SOOOOOOO good.