Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Jparrot, the Walrus, I and two non-DR friends had a super meal at Ray's last night, too (we were the other wing of the post-Szechuan Boy contingient). Since we weren't able to sign up for Sunday's mystery dinner, we wanted to get a good dose of RTS goodness before the hiatus.

Crab bisque, seared scallops, tomato and mozzarella salad, cowboy cut ribeye with diablo sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, key lime pie, chocolate mousse, some great wine, super friendly, no-pressure service--what's not to like? People who've been jumping on the bash-Ray's bandwagon can stick it.

And I'm still waiting for someone to chime in that they were thrown out on their keister [tush] for violating the 90-minute time limit.  Anyone, anyone?

Hell, we were lingering over coffee when Landrum brought us out another dessert. We must have looked underfed ;-)

I took my parents to Ray's last night for their first time there and we all had a wonderful experience! I can't remember the last time they even ate red meat, but they both commented on how flavorful, perfectly cooked, and glad they were that they ordered the hanger steak. I have been trying to introduce my parents to good places to eat for the past few years, and they said that the service, hospitality, and food at RTS really surprised them (I think they were a bit skeptical regarding the decor at first, but they quickly got over it). Both didn't leave a single scrap on their plates. I on the other hand brought home a good chunk of my delicious house ribeye (any recommendations on reheating it for tonight?).

I won't be able to attend the Mystery dinner (unless about 40 people decide not to go <_< ), but I look forward to hearing all about it from everyone. Have a great time!

No, keep beating me.  Really, it's not a problem.

Love,

Dead Horse

The point is that occasionally they might mention that they need a table back in 90 minutes, particulary for a 6:00 reservation when the restaurant if full the rest of the evening, but there is no enforcement mechanism that anyone has been able to identify. I'm on Landrum's side on this.

I on the other hand brought home a good chunk of my delicious house ribeye (any recommendations on reheating it for tonight?).

Don't reheat it at all. Take it out of the fridge a while before you need it, slice it thin, and heat up some rolls and some onions. Assemble sandwich. Mmmmm.

I'm on Landrum's side on this.

Actually, you're right, but at this point you're both on the wrong side of the issue. Whenever it gets mentioned, people here bristle and kick, bringing it under the spotlight for much longer than it needs to be.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The point is that occasionally they might mention that they need a table back in 90 minutes, particulary for a 6:00 reservation when the restaurant if full the rest of the evening, but there is no enforcement mechanism that anyone has been able to identify.  I'm on Landrum's side on this.

I completely agree. I have never felt rushed by Michael or anyone else at RTS. In my experience I have been able to enjoy the wine, food, and the company at my table at a leisurely pace (even when being told before sitting at a 6pm slot that I would have to make room by 7ish). He is definately doing the best he can with the situation.

Actually, you're right, but at this point you're both on the wrong side of the issue.  Whenever it gets mentioned, people here bristle and kick, bringing it under the spotlight for much longer than it needs to be. 

Cheers,

Rocks.

Has anyone else heard that after Sunday there will be no more 90 minute time limit at Ray's?

Has anyone else heard that after Sunday there will be no more 90 minute time limit at Ray's?

No, but if there are no more reservations since there is no need for the time limit to turn the table over to the next set of folks, right?

I jokingly suggested to my husband that the solution was time-shares on the tables. I'd pay to own a table at Ray's once a month. (Or more often) Wouldn't you?

Jennifer

I was at a fun restaurant in Austin on Sunday night. I noticed on the hostess stand a sign that said (paraphrase) "please do not dawdle during our peak times."

I think a restaurant owner is in business. If he/she/they have a policy you don't like, then don't frequent the establishment.

Is my understanding correct that they aren't taking reservations at all right now?

Is this yet another Ray's stunt or more of the same?

In my short-lived and ill-fated, little-known but still-hotly-debated-in-certain-circles role as "The Grill Cook" in The Village People I had the reputation of "the stuntsman" with the boys.

In fact, it was my spectacular, "coup de tete" stunt performed once only--at the tragic MOVE Organization benefit concert which put an end to my "fully-fledged" (in the Shakespearean sense) fledgeling career--in its glorious, and, ultimately, disastrous splendor that both gave rise to the first, early comparisions with Mr. Holmes and, as the Philadelphia Police Department later outrageously claimed in a criminally false act of self-exoneration, triggered the horrible brutalities that followed.

I have since left stunts behind and these days survive only as pale fires and waxwings slain in my penumbral status today as "The King of Wilson Boules-vard."

Those planning to attend Sunday night's festivities need not fear any such gruesome revelations.

Hi everybody. A friend asked me to post this for her - she lurks but is too shy to post it herself:

I’m going to Ray’s the Steaks tonight and I’m sooooo excited! Only seven more hours. I hope the line isn’t too long because I couldn’t seem to make a reservation. Anyways…can someone please tell me what’s really good there? I’ve read the thread and it looks like the steaks are awesome, but so is the seafood and the other things too. Since I am a vegetarian and my +1 won’t eat red meat – what do all of you think we should order? I know it seems kind of silly not to eat steak there, but I have a swallowing issue, and my partner has a chewing issue (it takes her for-ev-er). We both really like wine though, and we are planning to bring our own, but we will share it with the chef if he lets us open it. What do you think?

Also, I don’t really understand the whole 90-minute thing. Can somebody explain it to me so it makes sense? I move kind of slow these days – I’m not sure I can eat that fast, especially if I have to get up a few times during the meal to go to the bathroom, which can take me a really long time, even with my Segway. You guys are great. Thanks in advance and I PROMISE to report back.

Long time lurker

Oliver "Three Generations of Imbeciles are Enough" Wendell

Exactly. The same Holmes whose name so proudly adorns the library at the spawning ground of privilege and elitism from which I emerged. I am glad it was you who played detective in the Holmes mystery, and not Jacques. Now if I can only evade the cursedly relentless Javerts of Connecticut Avenue...

Rays certainly was a popular place to be last night - its last night open to the pubic for a bit. The only thing I know for sure Rays is now out of is root beer. And our table devoured probably enough scallops to wipe out the harvest of a good bit of the Grand Banks. We also nabbed one of the two remaining 36-oz. cowboys, with strip steaks and hangers being the runners up in the popularity contest.

Michael - I hope after tonight you take some well-deserved and long-overdue time off to relax and work on your magic straw tricks, among other things. Thank you for the wonderful meal last night - even if I did forget to bring home my leftovers. <_<

copyoftom0048ct.jpg

We were at Ray's last night also. I needed to take my kid's there before he closed up, I talk about it so often. Even though MIchael had my kids convinced that his probation officer won't let him leave the state, (he was JOKING, but they were sure he wasn't.)

Michael was a wonderful host. His fabulous scallops, diablo shrimp, crab bisque, onion soup...my God we must of had a bit of the enitre menu between us all. It was all incredible! My daughter declared it was the absolute best steak she has had in her life!

Michael, please do try to relax a little during your time off. You deserve it.

Oh,and MIchael I think you are very sexy also <_< .(if he doesn't read this before tonight, could y'all let him know I think he is sexy?)

I do regret that I've not yet been to Ray's, but I've always enjoyed reading this thread, and reading all of Michael's posts.

Michael, I hope you have a restful break. I hope all goes well with the new venture. And I look forward to eating at Ray's The Steaks shortly after it reopens!

We stopped in on Friday night for a "last" meal for a while...

Good wine, great scallops, an amazing smoked salmon, brocolli that makes me weep because I can't approach how good it is at home, the key lime pie and the chocolate mousse. Wow!

(Oh, and the steaks were pretty damn good too...)

We're counting the minutes until we can go again.

Mr. BLB didn't let me propose my time share plan for the tables to Michael--perhaps next time!

Jennifer

Ray's The Steaks will be open Saturday, April 1. We will not be accepting reservations. We will be seating complete parties only on a first-come, first-served basis. We will be open 5 days a week, starting at 6 PM, Tuesday through Saturday.

We still do not have a bar, we still do not have a waiting area. We have even fewer seats than before. I do not recommend that anyone make a special trip to dine with us.

I thank everyone for their support, it has been invaluable to me. My apologies to anyone who may feel duped into rushing in for a "last" dinner at Ray's, but I did not have any idea when I might reopen or with what format until I could examine the issues from an unbroken perspective. I take my responsibilities, and my promises, to both guests and to co-workers very seriously, and any decision must consider these responsibilities fully--which in the case of my co-workers means to re-open as soon as possible.

I may not be able to post replies to questions on the forum or to answer PM's, but again, my thanks, and I truly look forward to seeing you soon.

Ray's The Steaks will be open Saturday, April 1. 
Before anyone shouts "April Fools!" -- I had an early lunch today at Guajillo (next door) and watched RTS take food deliveries at noonish. There was some generalized planning going on in the front window table.

I respected your privacy Michael and kept walking... good luck with your new format. No, I don't feel duped - it got me to your place for the first time (and Guajillo was the first time today too).

Ray's The Steaks will be open Saturday, April 1.  We will not be accepting reservations.  We will be seating complete parties only on a first-come, first-served basis.  We will be open 5 days a week, starting at 6 PM, Tuesday through Saturday.

We still do not have a bar, we still do not have a waiting area.  We have even fewer seats than before.  I do not recommend that anyone make a special trip to dine with us.

I thank everyone for their support, it has been invaluable to me.  My apologies to anyone who may feel duped into rushing in for a "last" dinner at Ray's, but I did not have any idea when I might reopen or with what format until I could examine the issues from an unbroken perspective.  I take my responsibilities, and my promises, to both guests and to co-workers very seriously, and any decision must consider these responsibilities fully--which in the case of my co-workers means to re-open as soon as possible. 

I may not be able to post replies to questions on the forum or to answer PM's, but again, my thanks, and I truly look forward to seeing you soon.

{Happy Dance!}

Ray's The Steaks will be open Saturday, April 1.  We will not be accepting reservations.  We will be seating complete parties only on a first-come, first-served basis.  We will be open 5 days a week, starting at 6 PM, Tuesday through Saturday.

We still do not have a bar, we still do not have a waiting area.  We have even fewer seats than before.  I do not recommend that anyone make a special trip to dine with us.

I thank everyone for their support, it has been invaluable to me.  My apologies to anyone who may feel duped into rushing in for a "last" dinner at Ray's, but I did not have any idea when I might reopen or with what format until I could examine the issues from an unbroken perspective.  I take my responsibilities, and my promises, to both guests and to co-workers very seriously, and any decision must consider these responsibilities fully--which in the case of my co-workers means to re-open as soon as possible. 

Michael,

This is good news indeed! I was lamenting that I couldn't make it in before you closed, and I feel like I've been given another chance to enjoy your food for the first time.

Best wishes, and I hope to get there very soon!

A crime was committed this evening on Wilson Blvd. in Arlington.

My wife and I arrived at 5:45 this evening, anticipating having to wait outside for a few minutes before they opened. Nope - they were already humming along. Several tables were already sitting, and even had some food in front of them.

Michael was at the door seating guests. He looked cheerful and rested. Decked out to the nines? No sir - a polo shirt and plaid shorts. <_<

I noticed a couple of Rockweilers around as well - the reopening was probably the worst kept secret around. From wisps of conversation it seemed like everyone there was a repeat diner.

I don't need to go through the whole drill - everyone here already knows the story. We had a Caesar salad. A bowl of crab bisque. Shared an order of the scallops. Two steaks - the Cowboy ribeye and a NY Strip with the aged bleu cheese sauce. A side of mushrooms, because, well just because. A key lime pie and a dark chocolate mousse. Two lovely tastes of hot chocolate at the end. And there was a glass of Malbec thrown in there somewhere. In and out in an hour and a few, and didn't feel the least bit rushed.

Oh yeah, the crime. Total bill after tax and 20%+ gratuity? Around $135. And that's really two meals, because most of the steak came home with us. With extra mashed, spinach, and mushrooms. I would have paid a lot more and still considered it a bargain.

I keep saying I can't wait for Classic to open, as it's a lot closer. I'm just not sure my waistline can afford to be a regular there.

Damn you, Landrum.

P.S. OMG I met Rocks!

What was he wearing?

A bear suite.

Edited to add...

Amy and I were there last night and both of us had the filet with the brandy cream sauce. There's no better steak in the area in my opinion and we're very happy that Michael decided to reopen.

I just pulled up on my Segway for my 9:00 reservation and found the restaurant empty. It was also closed, but by crashing my trusty segway into the front window, I managed to get my table. I am currently enjoying a bottle of wine and a rather delectible Cowboy with Diablo sauce. I think I'm going to stay till 11:00 just to piss off the cops who are now out front asking me to come out with my hands up-To hell with them, I'm finishing my meal! Micheal- thanks for the hospitality and I will pay you next time I see you. <_<

9 years ago yesterday Mr. BLB and I met for the first time. (It took a few years to start dating but...) In addition, on Tuesday he was offered a new job that will get him out of the soul-sucking place he is now. I offered to take him to dinner--his choice of locations. Did he want to go to Firefly or Palena or Corduroy? Somewhere new?

Long silence as we drove home. Finally, how early would we have to get to Ray's to get in?

Last night we arrived at about 5:40, got on the list and were seated around 5:55. (One of these days I'll actually buy something at the liquor store next door instead of just browsing.)

We tried new and different things on the menu!!!! Mr. BLB had the onion soup--wow! I had the ceasar salad which I had only tasted briefly before. Wonderful, huge salad.

We stuck to the hangers though and I'm addicted to the broccoli.

For dessert we tried both the dark chocolate and milk chocolate mousse. We ended up mixing them together for a wonderful treat.

Thanks to Michael and crew for a fabulous celebratory evening.

Jennifer

To encourage the renewed neighborhood feel at Ray's, and to cut a spring break for those whose appetites exceed their bank balances, we are now offering the following special:

$20 Bistro Dinner

Choice of:

Cup of Crab Bisque or Onion Soup/or Mixed Greens or Caesar Salad

Choice of:

Hangar Steak or Salmon (Diablo/Blackened/or Grilled)

Mashed Potatoes/Creamed Spinach

This offer is open to anyone, anytime (until further notice, but at least the next weeks) but Rockwellians can expect the usual second class treatment.

For those concerned about waits, so far the new system is working this way:

We are doing as much business, if not more, as before, but in a much more easy-going atmosphere. However, waits are minimal--usually 20-30 minutes, sometimes 45, rarely up to an hour and 15 minutes (our average dining time is and always was a comfortable 75-80 minutes despite all the whining). Those who arrive before 6:15 should be seated right away. No promises, but that is the way it has been working so far.

I am going to post this in "Twenty Dollar Tuesdays" as well so that people who don't even bother with the Ray's thread, assuming that any new post is either a shrill attack or even shriller counter-attack, will hear about the deal as well.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.