CONGRATULATIONS, PRESIDENT OBAMA

DonRocks

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMo...E50J2Z520090120

I have never seen so many people in D. C. and this goes back to antiwar demonstrations in the late '60's, the Beach Boys on the Mall and a number of marches. There were a half million people on the Mall, around the Capitol and PA Avenue last night! A few minutes ago The Post said "Officials Put Historic Gathering at About 1.8 Million"

Kay and I were running an errand when we hear the oaths and the speech. We are so proud of this opportunity and hope that people all over this country are willing to confront the hard decisions and responsibilities our new President spoke of.

We ahve been waiting a long time for a new direction: I hope the promise bears out!

Also, I have always felt good to be an American. No matter what you support your country which includes your president!
And for the thread kill.

No, you do not always support your president. When that President commits heinous acts then every American's duty is to call them to task about it. Whether it's committing perjury a la Clinton or condoning torture a la Bush, breaking the law and/or subverting the Constitution it is what it is -- someone putting their own interests above those of the country.

We could go into a whole lecture on the problem of the head of state and the head of government being the same person, but I don't think that that has much to do with food..

And for the thread kill.

No, you do not always support your president. When that President commits heinous acts then every American's duty is to call them to task about it. Whether it's committing perjury a la Clinton or condoning torture a la Bush, breaking the law and/or subverting the Constitution it is what it is -- someone putting their own interests above those of the country.

We could go into a whole lecture on the problem of the head of state and the head of government being the same person, but I don't think that that has much to do with food..

I've got a pretty good idea how history will judge our last president. However, for all the faults that he may have had relating to any number of things, consider that he presided over a tremendous growth in quality dining establishments in our fair city. George W. Bush: The Food President.

Funniest line of the day by Reverend Joseph Lowery:

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right,"

I guess obviously this doesn't go for everyone, but I've been quite touched by how everyone I see -- even if they disagree with Obama's political philosophies and with the Democratic Party in general -- has been able to recognize and celebrate what his election means in a larger sense for the nation as a whole and for the world.

[Please do understand that those pesky, non-partisan "Censor-bots" are going to be sweeping through this thread at 4 AM and auto-deleting all posts that are derogatory and/or blatantly political in tone. Until then:

Sticks fingers in ears, closes eyes, and sings out loud:

"LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAAAAAA I CAN'T HEAAAARRRRR YOOOOOUUUUUUUUU !!!!"]

Only after you eat your way through the 7400 block of West North Avenue...with all due respect to Al's and a half dozen other pretenders.

Michael, you have the credibility to offer a legitimate contender to the Chicago throne...here. I doubt if 5%, 2% of those reading this have any idea of what I am talking about. Of just how good the best (not a real, but the best) Italian beef can be. I would suggest that of all the "beef" sandwiches on the face of the earth (i.e. Mother's Po Boy w/debris, Tony Luke's (or a dozen others), City Market of Luling for serious brisket, Schwabl's roast beef on weck, etc.) the Italian beef "dipped" with Gardiniera (sp?) from Johnny's on West North Avenue in Elmwood Park is the single best bite of any beef sandwich/sub/Po Boy on the face of the earth.

Could this be done on Wilson boulevard?

...hmm.............

[Please do understand that those pesky, non-partisan "Censor-bots" are going to be sweeping through this thread at 4 AM and auto-deleting all posts that are derogatory and/or blatantly political in tone. Until then:

Sticks fingers in ears, closes eyes, and sings out loud:

"LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAAAAAA I CAN'T HEAAAARRRRR YOOOOOUUUUUUUUU !!!!"]

Must be a member of the old administration! :P

I wonder if I can get Joe to show me the bunker?

PS - I have a huge crush on Jill Biden.

That's Doctor Jill Biden, thank you very much.
Yeah... what restaurant is this thread about?
Here's your restaurant news....I am very pleased to report that after the inauguration ended almost every food related business from the bottom of the Hill, up Pennsylvania and over 8th to the SE/SW expressway (Barracks Row) was packed. There were lines out the door at almost every restaurant, liquor store, convenience store, etc. At Kenny's Smoke House the line was out the door and we weren't the only people ordering very large quantities of food.

And tonight the Pakistani ambassador served alcohol (a pleasant surprise), lamb chops, and samosas. He brought out the good stuff :P

• Like 1

That's Doctor Jill Biden, thank you very much.

Here's your restaurant news....I am very pleased to report that after the inauguration ended almost every food related business from the bottom of the Hill, up Pennsylvania and over 8th to the SE/SW expressway (Barracks Row) was packed. There were lines out the door at almost every restaurant, liquor store, convenience store, etc.

When I left Lola's on 8th at about 2, the bartender (I think he's also a manager) was turning people away, saying they couldn't accept any more people. Fortunately, there was no wait for the bathroom when I got there, though the trek through the crowd to the restrooms was challenging. Tunnicliff's was amazingly packed, and the patio was full. (Half an hour bathroom wait, however.)

When I left Lola's on 8th at about 2, the bartender (I think he's also a manager) was turning people away, saying they couldn't accept any more people. Fortunately, there was no wait for the bathroom when I got there, though the trek through the crowd to the restrooms was challenging. Tunnicliff's was amazingly packed, and the patio was full. (Half an hour bathroom wait, however.)
There were people sitting outside Belga having lunch! After standing for hours in the cold!

On August 12, 1961, I was born. Later that night, construction began on the Berlin Wall.

When I was almost 8 years old, on July 20, 1969, I was sitting on my living room floor. Our family was huddled around the television, and we had just watched Apollo 11 land on the Moon.

I remember looking over at my dad, sitting in his La-Z-Boy chair. This was after the spacecraft had landed, but before Neil Armstrong had climbed down the ladder.

"I still can't believe it!" my dad said, with a huge smile on his face. He didn't say it to anyone in particular; he just said it.

This evening I was chatting with a young, black friend of mine who refused to frame this election as anything more than a great individual triumph. Barack Obama, he argued, could have won twenty years ago, in 1988, running against George Bush, based solely on who he is, not what he is. "I'm an optimist," he said, "and that's what I believe."

"How would he have done in 1952, running against Dwight Eisenhower?" I asked him.

He replied, "I don't think he could have run then, could he?"

Yes, he could have run, but if he had tried to vote, he probably couldn't have used the restroom.

Today, January 20th, 2009, is the most important political moment of my life. It's more important than Kennedy's assassination, it's more important than Watergate, and it's only rivaled by the dismantling of the U.S.S.R.

The Civil War had its Lincoln, World War II had its Churchill, and I believe that 9/11 might have just found its Obama.

With that, my friends, I close this thread. Tomorrow I return to writing about cold-cut subs, with a renewed vigor and optimism for the future of mankind.

And I still can't believe it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I want to say congratulations again to the Honorable Barack Obama, and to add how proud I am of the United States for now having a two-term, former President of color - something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. (My wish is that, one-hundred years from now, this statement will sound so absurd that nobody will be able to understand why I wrote it.)

I also want to congratulate and wish the best of luck to President Trump.

I apologize for this exception to our "no politics / no religion" rule, but this is a particularly important day in our nation's history.

Peace and respect to everyone, regardless of their political and religious beliefs,
Rocks

• Like 3

On 1/20/2017 at 1:21 PM, DonRocks said:

I want to say congratulations again to the Honorable Barack Obama, and to add how proud I am of the United States for now having a two-term, former President of color - something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. (My wish is that, one-hundred years from now, this statement will sound so absurd that nobody will be able to understand why I wrote it.)

I also want to congratulate and wish the best of luck to President Trump.

I apologize for this exception to our "no politics / no religion" rule, but this is a particularly important day in our nation's history.

Peace and respect to everyone, regardless of their political and religious beliefs,
Rocks

Can I edit this part out?

Checks and balances are *desperately* needed right now, to the point where I beg people to vote straight-Democrat. 

I am not a Democrat (nor am I a Republican), but right now, I'm asking people to consider me essentially the same person as Sully - PLEASE VOTE FOR THE SURVIVAL OF OUR DEMOCRACY. 

I believe the headlines Wednesday morning will read, "Americans Take Their Country Back."

• Like 3

Wasn’t around here when this thread was started in early 2009.  With regard to some of the restaurant comments above  I have heard from a number of restaurateurs that Inauguration Day 2009 was the busiest day they ever faced.

On the current side of things I’ve been voting for over 40 years.  Not infrequently, especially during presidential elections I’ve heard this is the most important election you will face—VOTE.

This year I believe it.  Among the commentators I read are a number of people who were active in one way or another in the GOP.  A number of them strongly say vote 100% Democratic.  That is something I’ve never seen.  In fact that perspective is inconceivable.

What a freaking time!!!!!!

13 hours ago, DaveO said:

Wasn’t around here when this thread was started in early 2009.  With regard to some of the restaurant comments above  I have heard from a number of restaurateurs that Inauguration Day 2009 was the busiest day they ever faced.

On the current side of things I’ve been voting for over 40 years.  Not infrequently, especially during presidential elections I’ve heard this is the most important election you will face—VOTE.

This year I believe it.  Among the commentators I read are a number of people who were active in one way or another in the GOP.  A number of them strongly say vote 100% Democratic.  That is something I’ve never seen.  In fact that perspective is inconceivable.

What a freaking time!!!!!!

I've been of voting age for 48 years. I was a college student during the Vietnam War and remember the divisions in this country- hippies vs. hardhats. I've never seen a political landscape so completely divided with demagoguery on one side and smear campaigns for everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Slater said:

I've been of voting age for 48 years. I was a college student during the Vietnam War and remember the divisions in this country- hippies vs. hardhats. I've never seen a political landscape so completely divided with demagoguery on one side and smear campaigns for everything. 

Same experience.  When you take in the urban riots and some killings on both sides of the right and left -> hippies/hard hats there was more violence and domestic death back then attributable to the political environment.

Nowadays it is more outright verbally hostile with demagoguery and smears as stated above.  It is grotesque 

Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 01.05.00.png

[This website is better without politics and religion, no? I want us all to be brothers and sisters here - there are *so* many other places where you can rant and rave, and make your opinions known, but *so* few where you can be welcome regardless of your beliefs. I honestly value every member here equally, and simply do not want to be a divisive, partisan community. (Send me a message and let me know.)]