DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sorry. Due to the untimely demise of our furnace, it's not looking good right now--better count us out. I'm in the process of getting estimates on the replacement and have a tentative appointment on Thursday. :(

(And I wish I had posted just 5 minutes sooner!)

I am now a maybe due to an afternoon meeting. If someone definite wants my spot post here, otherwise I will try and get there. :P

That's better then me -- I'm going to have to bow out due to an afternoon meeting that won't end until 6. :(

If you have been there before, then you can arrive a little later, such as 6pm, since the first part is Orientation. I have been late before and yes, they give you a bit of a ribbing, but most of all, the heart of helping is most important. So, come later is better than not showing up!! (No pressure, of course.)

If you have been there before, then you can arrive a little later, such as 6pm, since the first part is Orientation. I have been late before and yes, they give you a bit of a ribbing, but most of all, the heart of helping is most important. So, come later is better than not showing up!! (No pressure, of course.)

Wish this would make a difference in my being able to come but my meeting ends at 6 in Reston. Will have to look at their online system to find another shift.

Will it be hot or cold or just right? Is this a long- or short-sleeved kind of environment?

It can get cold if the stoves or ovens aren't running, but this is from a girl's prospective. I seem to recall most guys wearing a light long-sleeve, so that they can push it up if need be. I also seem to recall xcanuck wearing just a t-shirt.

Will it be hot or cold or just right? Is this a long- or short-sleeved kind of environment?

Tonight will probably be comfortable. There shouldn't be much (if any) cooking going on, as we'll be doing prep of items for tomorrow's morning shift. I don't think you'd be uncomfortable in a light long-sleeved T. (Long or short sleeves are fine, just as long as you have sleeves.)

Tonight (and our Monday shifts) are Co-op shifts which are described on the website as follows: In the Co-Op Shift, volunteers assist with DC Central Kitchen’s meal distribution by focusing entirely on prepping locally grown produce for use in our meals. Jobs include: washing, peeling chopping, and sorting produce, and mixing salads.

(I wouldn't advise arriving too late, as I believe they usually lock the door at some point around 5:30 or so.)

How'd yesterday's Co-op shift go? Wish I could have gone, but my class schedule conflicts with the time. I did see the "Don Rockwell.com" group listed in the morning email though, since its sent out every day to all DCCK staff (even us interns). Apparently you all were working with a fraternity and a church group? It's always interesting to see who else will be there for any given shift.

luvgoodfood and I were there right at 5, and "orientation" consisted of a quick trip to the lockers, followed by washing up and a direct trip to the prep line where we wielded knives all night. Judging from appearances, I think we must have ended up with the frat bunch, who were later joined by some or all of the church group...they were peeling and peeling bags of potatoes. The two of us were able to keep up with all of the peelers until Mason upped their numbers to 11 or so.

Right around the 6:30 break we determined that the rest of the Rockweilers had been assigned to the other kitchen where they were busting down even more potatoes.

You can tell that they're used to dealing with all sorts of volunteers; the demonstration of the potato cutting method was simple, methodical, safe and mostly foolproof. I can't bring myself to hold a knife that way anymore, thanks to the knife skills class that cjsadler and txaggie put together a couple years ago, so instead I spent the 2.5 hours trying to practice proper cutting. It's one thing to do it for a few minutes at a time, but after a couple of hours you definitely figure out where you're applying too much pressure. Got that little callus started on the middle knuckle of my index finger where you control the blade angle.

It was both fun and satisfying. I'd totally do it again!

Count me in next time. This is a good and noble gathering of Rockwellians.

On a nice note, I was at the Springsteen concert at the Verizon Center last night. His only reference to anything going on in DC was the DC Central Kitchen. He gave it a nice minute or two of support in the middle of the concert and encouraged all in attendance to show their support.

Then I guess this is a good time to start soliciting volunteers for the November date!

Monday, November 16th, 5p-8p. RSVP here or via PM. I will optimistically say "first 10 requests get the slots", in the hopes that we can easily fill out the spots like we did earlier in the year.

Put me down for Monday the 16th, and if you'll accept kitchen-skills-challenged significant other for some menial duties like clean up, put both of us down.

You make the call, but 95% of your time is spent chopping produce. No experience necessary - lots of college kids volunteer.

Unfortunately, I'll be on work travel that day :(

Put me down for Monday the 16th, and if you'll accept kitchen-skills-challenged significant other for some menial duties like clean up, put both of us down.

The guys that run the shift (Mike Mason and Greg) are both great, patient teachers and give very good instructions on the easiest, safest way to do whatever the task is for the evening. Like Daniel said, most of the work is chopping, though sometimes there are beans to be snapped or items to be vacuum-packed for later use. "Kitchen-skills-challenged significant" should come on down - it's always fun and there aren't any expectations to chop a 50 pound bag of potatoes, alone, in 2 hours :P

Then I guess this is a good time to start soliciting volunteers for the November date!

Monday, November 16th, 5p-8p. RSVP here or via PM. I will optimistically say "first 10 requests get the slots", in the hopes that we can easily fill out the spots like we did earlier in the year.

I can come help! I have never done this before, but I love the idea of hanging out with some Rockwellians! I'll read some earlier posts to get the jist of what the instructions are....

Chop some veggies for me!

Pineapples instead.

I believe I was the only DR member there along with three who come on their own, and many from the New Jersey Club of Howard University who like to devote time to community service as a group.

The pineapples were donations from Costco, destined for a fruit salad; we filled two huge bins with the salvable fruit.

Half of the volunteers--in the other kitchen--were assigned (Safeway) turkey duty: washing, pulling out necks, bathing them in an herby brine and covering them in plastic wrap. I was told this was only the beginning of this year's Thanksgiving prep and that they'll be handling a total of 2000 birds during the week or so ahead.

Fun. Good mix of music. We were finished by 7:30, ahead of schedule. I'm glad the regular stints DanielK organizes pushed me towards something I've been meaning to do for quite some time.

I believe I was the only DR member there

Hey, the other 4 of you who signed up, please PM me and let me know if you didn't make it, or if AB just didn't meet you.

I can say, without hesitation, that if we really only sent 1 out of the 10 slots we had reserved, I am immediately cancelling the next 6 dates I have reserved. And I'm just as guilty as anyone, since I also bagged at the last minute.

Hey, the other 4 of you who signed up, please PM me and let me know if you didn't make it, or if AB just didn't meet you.

I can say, without hesitation, that if we really only sent 1 out of the 10 slots we had reserved, I am immediately cancelling the next 6 dates I have reserved. And I'm just as guilty as anyone, since I also bagged at the last minute.

Well the potential difference is that you let everyone know that you could not make it.

Are you cancelling?

Haven't heard back from all of the registered attendees to know whether they went.

Unless I get feedback here from the general membership that they really want to keep doing this, I am inclined to cancel the future dates. I do note that since my "threat" to do so a couple days ago, there hasn't been a single post or PM asking me not to.

Haven't heard back from all of the registered attendees to know whether they went.

Unless I get feedback here from the general membership that they really want to keep doing this, I am inclined to cancel the future dates. I do note that since my "threat" to do so a couple days ago, there hasn't been a single post or PM asking me not to.

Well, Daniel, I for one appreciate all the hard work and diligence you've put into - not just the DCCK nights, but also the $20 Tuesdays. Particularly regarding the outings at Central Kitchen - which you not only organize but also spend hours of your own time attending - you have been selfless and benevolent.

It is very hard to maintain a "buzz" about ongoing events. I used to fret endlessly about how to increase involvement in charitable events here, and it was ultimately to no avail, so I eventually backed off, and have been quietly doing charitable work on my own time, without imposing my views or desires upon anyone else. This was one of the very hardest things for me to let go of here, but I was swimming upstream trying to get people involved - putting in a lot of effort, without much of anything to show for it. Disappointed? Absolutely.

Even if you stopped organizing the DCCK events right this second, your time will not have been wasted. You've really stepped in and helped out a worthwhile organization, and all of the work that you've done has contributed to the greater good of mankind. I know that sounds a little dramatic, but I also think it's true. So if you're ready to let this go, then let it go, but don't think for a moment that it hasn't been worth it.

Last, but certainly not least, THANK YOU, Daniel.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I also *really* appreciate your setting up this event. Mainly because I enjoy all the time spent there, meeting you all and meeting great people like Mason and Greg at DCCK. I wouldn't have met sparkycom (come back!!) and other wonderful people through quartering potatoes and then having a great get-together afterward. So, at least one more try, as a tester? Thank you so much!!

Half of the volunteers--in the other kitchen--were assigned (Safeway) turkey duty: washing, pulling out necks, bathing them in an herby brine and covering them in plastic wrap. I was told this was only the beginning of this year's Thanksgiving prep and that they'll be handling a total of 2000 birds during the week or so ahead.
Tonight is a turkey drop-off 4pm - 7:30 pm. Drop off a frozen turkey and help DC Central Kitchen make 4,000 Thanksgiving meals! You don't have to do any cooking - just bring a turkey and enjoy the open house that includes a tour, raffle, and recipes. Sorry for the last-minute notice - if you can't make it today, but would still like to drop off a turkey, you can do so tomorrow or Monday between 8 am -7:30pm or Sat-Sun 8 am - 4:30 pm.
I hope you don't cancel all of the slots. If it doesn't seem reasonable to fill 10, maybe we can hold onto 5 or so? I was out of town on Monday but have definitely enjoyed (and appreciated) having the reserved spots, even if I can't make it every single time.

I hope you don't cancel all of the slots. If it doesn't seem reasonable to fill 10, maybe we can hold onto 5 or so? I was out of town on Monday but have definitely enjoyed (and appreciated) having the reserved spots, even if I can't make it every single time.

I second this thought. The last two times I have been unable to attend and have attempted to sign up for a slot on their website. All such operations should have their volunteer slots booked for months at a time. Or maybe our answer is to find something similar that isn't flush with volunteers and lend our support to them.

I second this thought. The last two times I have been unable to attend and have attempted to sign up for a slot on their website. All such operations should have their volunteer slots booked for months at a time. Or maybe our answer is to find something similar that isn't flush with volunteers and lend our support to them.

I would also like to see the slots available so that I can attend when my schedule permits. You would think that with the number of users on this site that we could consistently provide a group of at least 5 if not the current 10.

If so, hopefully folks that do sign up will actually go or at least post that they cannot make it so that someone may be able to fill the spot.

Thanks again, Daniel, for leading the DC Central Kitchen nights. Based on the posts here, the PMs, and other conversations (thanks for taking my rambling call the other night), it sounds like everyone agrees we fell down on our commitment this time. It sounds like everyone also agrees it would be tragic to cancel all DR participation.

As one possibility, how about changing the model so that we have a DR DCCK event twice a year (around picnic time), or quarterly? My schedule would rarely allow me to attend, but I would be happy to help with any heavy lifting (coordinating with DCCK, collecting RSVPs, etc.). You've done such a stellar job coordinating, though, so my help with that might not be needed, "too many cooks in the kitchen" (collective groan) so to speak. :(

This type of event is important to keep going. Even for DR folks who can never attend, DCCK event coordination posts provide a consciousness-expanding reminder of the importance of such work.

Paring the schedule back to a couple of times a year will help prevent no-shows while also reinforcing the value of giving back to the larger community.

OK, here's the plan for December.

The date is two weeks out, Thursday December 17th, 5pm.

We still have 10 spots held. I am going to start taking names today. In one week, which will be one week before the event, I will cancel any spots not claimed.

We'll see how this works.

In the past, I've said send a PM to reserve a spot, but let's try doing it in the topic to keep it at the top of people's reading lists; perhaps that will help with turnout.

OK, here's the plan for December.

The date is two weeks out, Thursday December 17th, 5pm.

We still have 10 spots held. I am going to start taking names today. In one week, which will be one week before the event, I will cancel any spots not claimed.

We'll see how this works.

In the past, I've said send a PM to reserve a spot, but let's try doing it in the topic to keep it at the top of people's reading lists; perhaps that will help with turnout.

I'm in. Who's going to join me?