Dining on Thanksgiving

Corduroy was a perfect choice for us. Mr. BLB and I had turkey, the inlaws had the striped bass, BLBaby had a banana and oatmeal I brought from home. Everything was spot on, Kat was terrific as always and we didn't have a baby meltdown until dessert which was 2 hours and 10 minutes in to the meal so I was pretty pleased (he also hadn't napped on the way in as planned as Grandma was too engaging in the backseat. Sigh...) Mr. BLB and I took turns walking him in the upper lobby while the other ate dessert.

I hope that after the move, Chef Power continues to do Thanksgiving because I am perfectly content to never cook Thanksgiving Dinner again!

Go to Corduroy. It is a perfect Thanksgiving Dinner.

Three of us went last year and it was pretty pedestrian. Nothing stood out as anything other than thanksgiving dinner. The year prior, Grover and I went to Vidalia and that was a Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe it was because of the move, maybe the number of people being served or maybe just the menu (let's face it, how inspiring can turkey be?), but not one of the more memorable Corduroy dinners.

I also saw that Blue Duck Tavern is having Thanksgiving dinner and am always glad to recommend it; at the same time, the $85/p.p. price is a bit steep.

According to the blurb on Open Table, Blue Duck Tavern is offering a buffet on Thanksgiving Day from 10:30 to 3:30, for $85/pp. I'm sure it's going to be great, but a little early to count as dinner for me. I wish they were offering a real Thanksgiving dinner!

The Prime Rib:

http://www.theprimerib.com/dc/restaurantweek.html

ETA: Sorry, probably should have elaborated...Price is $39.95 for adults and $17.95 for kids 12 and under and the hours are 1-8pm. And fwiw (since I'd be curious), the Thanksgiving menu features Roasted Turkey, not Prime Rib. Not sure if other menu items including steaks will be available.

I also saw that Blue Duck Tavern is having Thanksgiving dinner and am always glad to recommend it; at the same time, the $85/p.p. price is a bit steep.

According to the blurb on Open Table, Blue Duck Tavern is offering a buffet on Thanksgiving Day from 10:30 to 3:30, for $85/pp. I'm sure it's going to be great, but a little early to count as dinner for me. I wish they were offering a real Thanksgiving dinner!

Thanks for posting the updated information. When I first checked the site, it wasn't indicated that it would be a brunch as it does now. So, it won't be a dinner after all, and considering it's brunch, $85/p.p. is mucho dinero.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner at 1789. Of course, none of us ordered the traditional turkey dinner! Pumpkin gnocchi, chestnut soup; braised beef short ribs with parsnip puree was heaven on a plate; rack of lamb with roasted yukon gold potatoes, cooked perfectly; apple strudel with cinnamon ice cream, gingerbread with molten chocolate. A delicious cabernet sauvignon. Service was acceptable, if not stellar; it was a holiday, after all. While not a traditional Thanksgiving meal, it was a lovely autumn meal. The evening began on kind of a weird note; as our table was not ready, we were invited to wait downstairs in The Tombs, along with a few other folks who were also waiting on their tables. The last time I was in the Tombs was 1981! And it's still the same! Still smells the same! Oddly, they were playing Christmas carols down there. The host brought our cocktails down and I begged him, "Please tell me they're not playing Xmas carols upstairs!" I just couldn't abide Thanksgiving dinner with Xmas carols. He assured me that classical music was playing upstairs, and it was. I would gladly return to 1789 for a Thanksgiving meal.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner at 1789. Of course, none of us ordered the traditional turkey dinner! Pumpkin gnocchi, chestnut soup; braised beef short ribs with parsnip puree was heaven on a plate; rack of lamb with roasted yukon gold potatoes, cooked perfectly; apple strudel with cinnamon ice cream, gingerbread with molten chocolate. A delicious cabernet sauvignon. Service was acceptable, if not stellar; it was a holiday, after all. While not a traditional Thanksgiving meal, it was a lovely autumn meal. The evening began on kind of a weird note; as our table was not ready, we were invited to wait downstairs in The Tombs, along with a few other folks who were also waiting on their tables. The last time I was in the Tombs was 1981! And it's still the same! Still smells the same! Oddly, they were playing Christmas carols down there. The host brought our cocktails down and I begged him, "Please tell me they're not playing Xmas carols upstairs!" I just couldn't abide Thanksgiving dinner with Xmas carols. He assured me that classical music was playing upstairs, and it was. I would gladly return to 1789 for a Thanksgiving meal.

foodtrip, I'm glad to hear that you had a good Thanksgiving experience at 1789. I spent the holiday there a few years ago and also thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I'm not sure why I don't go there more often--maybe because I end up at either the Tabard Inn or Blue Duck Tavern, which are also cozy with reliable food and service. And that is TOO funny about the Tombs! I was in college the last time I was there...many moons ago. :(

2010 and I am having the same arguments with Mr. BLB. At least this year Tower Oak Lodge is already booked. Dinner for 5. Picky grandparents, adventuresome 3.5 year old, and an uptight husband who wants something that an enthusiastic 3.5 child will not be frowned upon. Basically we need Dino to be open for Thanksgiving.

Barring that, what options are out there? We need to stay In Maryland or very close in DC. Strong cocktails for me would be a bonus.

(Don, seriously thinking of signing up for your service so I can stop thinking about tihis.)

Thanks!!!

Jennifer

I wish there were restaurants in the area doing Thanksgiving menus for like...a week. I LOVE thanksgiving food, but am blessed but a wonderful family that um...can't cook for you-know-what.

I wonder if I'm the only person out there who would love to eat these thanksgiving menus on say, Weds night, or Sat/Sun of the weekend.

FWIW - last year, RJ went out of his way to give us a mini-T-day meal the night beforehand at Vidalia, and it was excellent and much appreciated. Anyone know of any quality restaurants that have a great turkey/etc. on their menus this time of year?

(I enjoyed the roasted turkey at Ashby Inn a few weeks ago, but am really looking for something closer and plates that are more "gluttonous" - stuffings, mashed potatoes, gravy (lots of it)...the works!)

I wish there were restaurants in the area doing Thanksgiving menus for like...a week. I LOVE thanksgiving food, but am blessed but a wonderful family that um...can't cook for you-know-what.

I wonder if I'm the only person out there who would love to eat these thanksgiving menus on say, Weds night, or Sat/Sun of the weekend.

FWIW - last year, RJ went out of his way to give us a mini-T-day meal the night beforehand at Vidalia, and it was excellent and much appreciated. Anyone know of any quality restaurants that have a great turkey/etc. on their menus this time of year?

(I enjoyed the roasted turkey at Ashby Inn a few weeks ago, but am really looking for something closer and plates that are more "gluttonous" - stuffings, mashed potatoes, gravy (lots of it)...the works!)

Not a restaurant meal, but many places such as WF, Dean & Delucca, Balducci's, etc., offer better quality pre-made T-giving feasts to buy that week. Maybe get a small feast and bring it home?

This is possibly too late for you, but I just received an email from Johnny's Half Shell that they are serving a Thanksgiving meal tomorrow night (11/4/10)!

This is possibly too late for you, but I just received an email from Johnny's Half Shell that they are serving a Thanksgiving meal tomorrow night (11/4/10)!

That's excellent - and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for - thanks! Will report back if we make it over there -

(Don, seriously thinking of signing up for your service so I can stop thinking about tihis.)

Why don't you?

I enjoy learning about and exploring new restaurants and generally try to stay current with the dining "scene," so I often function as the de facto concierge among my friends. Recently, after a particularly good and moderately boozy dinner with a visiting friend, the friend suggested I do it professionally (I'm thinking that I should leave that for Don, who is presumptively 10 times better than I could ever be). But I also cook Thanksgiving for my family every year and wouldn't have a clue where to go if we decided to go out one year. And I consider Thanksgiving a big deal, so I'd be anxious about finding the right place. The obvious solution would be to pick a restaurant that I know is good and book that, but with Thanksgiving, it's not all that clear this approach is safe. Which restaurants are open and are they already booked? Of those that are open, which are serving a traditional meal, which are doing their "spin" on one, and which are doing something different entirely? Which have the big name chef working that day and which have the staff handling the cooking? Does it matter? And, of course, which of these options work with kids in tow?

For basically the price of three beers, you don't have to hassle with or worry about any of it. Just say what you want and have peace of mind that you'll get it. Peace of mind that lasts way longer than three beers.

Why don't you?

I enjoy learning about and exploring new restaurants and generally try to stay current with the dining "scene," so I often function as the de facto concierge among my friends. Recently, after a particularly good and moderately boozy dinner with a visiting friend, the friend suggested I do it professionally (I'm thinking that I should leave that for Don, who is presumptively 10 times better than I could ever be). But I also cook Thanksgiving for my family every year and wouldn't have a clue where to go if we decided to go out one year. And I consider Thanksgiving a big deal, so I'd be anxious about finding the right place. The obvious solution would be to pick a restaurant that I know is good and book that, but with Thanksgiving, it's not all that clear this approach is safe. Which restaurants are open and are they already booked? Of those that are open, which are serving a traditional meal, which are doing their "spin" on one, and which are doing something different entirely? Which have the big name chef working that day and which have the staff handling the cooking? Does it matter? And, of course, which of these options work with kids in tow?

For basically the price of three beers, you don't have to hassle with or worry about any of it. Just say what you want and have peace of mind that you'll get it. Peace of mind that lasts way longer than three beers.

I did sign up. My sanity is worth something!

Why don't you?

Can we quote you?! :)

Just throwing this out there, since BLB's already taken care of...

I've had a very nice Thanksgiving dinner at Ardeo in the past. Choices satisfied me, my 90-something grandmother, an allegedly* picky cousin from West Virginia, and my mother. This year's $45 3-course menu includes a traditional turkey dinner among other things.

I've also received an email from the Willard Hotel about their Thanksgiving Brunch in the Crystal and Willard Rooms; 4 seatings between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm, $69/adult, $35/child.

* I think she's just gotten a bum rap and hasn't been exposed to much - she was scarfing down the mezze from Lebanese Taverna (and loving it) at grandma's 95th birthday party.

ETA: Jackson 20's email just showed up with the following info about their Turkey Day offerings: "Bring the whole family; we are offering a 3-course Prix Fixe dinner for $50 per person, kids 6-15 eat Thanksgiving dinner for just $20 and children under 6 years old eat free."

If you are interested in eating at home but do not want to cook, Perry’s wants to make your Thanksgiving less tense and more leisurely and is offering meals to go. We are offering main dishes, side dishes, and desserts. Order a la carte.

Orders should be sent through Sunday, November 21st, to 202.234.6218 or emailed to hello@perrysadamsmorgan.com. We accept payment when you order and ask you to pick up your orders on Wednesday, November 24th between 8 am and 5 pm.

First courses

Oyster Stew -Plump oysters with a little potato and onion in a rich fish stock and a bit of cream. We’ll give it to you in a little kit. You’ll heat the soup, pour in the oysters, top with butter, and chopped chives. Everything except the butter. $21 quart (Serves 4)

Butternut Squash Soup - Pureed local butternut topped with bacon scented breadcrumbs.

$16 quart (Serves 4)

Main course

Roasted turkey - hormone-free turkey, $8 pound.

Side dishes

Gravy - natural, thick and rich with giblets $7 pint/$12 quart

Braised Path Valley greens with ham hock $10 pint/$18 quart

Brussel sprouts – roasted, sprinkled with chopped pecans $7 pint/$12 quart

Mashed potatoes - rich with cream, $6 pint/$11 quart

Sweet potato with marshmallow - $7 pint/$12 quart

Stuffing – local mushrooms, leeks, celery and shallots $6 pint/$10 quart

Cranberry sauce - Lightly sweetened, flavored with orange. $8 pint/$14 quart

Desserts (9’’ pie)

Pumpkin pie - You must have this, a rich pumpkin pie in our flaky pie crust. $12

Apple pie - Tart apples flavored with a little cinnamon and clove. $15

Pecan pie - Very rich but not as sweet as others you have tasted. $16

Bread (From Baguette Republic)

Baguettes $3

Double baguettes (twice as thick) $5.75

Country bread (mixed grains) 3 lbs $11.50

You aren't the only one! Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal, bar none. And while I love my Thanksgiving with my brother, cooked by his chef buddies, this year they're not even serving turkey. They're roasting a pig. Now, people, I have NO complaints about a whole roast pig, but I need my turkey and stuffing and various other starches on Thanksgiving, which is why, for the second year in a row, I'm hosting Pre-Thanksgiving. The weekend before, I'm making the entire meal with all the fixins for my friends so we (I) can have the traditional day that we (I) need to make our (my) holiday season right. It's a ton of work, but if last year was any indication, it is totally worth it and loved by all (me). It's also an awesome reason for a party. Try it!

2013 edition.

I realize part of the problem is my family.

2007--Corduroy. Perfect but too far.

2008 and 2009--Tower Oak Lodge. Okay but crowded and hot. Service issues.

2010--Normandie Farm. Lovely food, decent service. The road was "too curvey."

2011 and 2012--Founding Farmers Potomac. Decent food, train wreck service last year.

For 2013 the inlaws requested a return to Tower Oak Lodge.

At this point I don't care about the food. I just want decent service. That is no farther than Exit 4 on 270 to the South or Exit 16 to the North. And isn't on a curving road.

This is the problem with not being a regular anywhere, as highlighted by the recent piece by Frank Bruni.

Is there anything out there that works? Thanks!

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/462985 was our Thanksgiving dinner at L'auberge Chez Francois.  Alternatively, I had considered 1789.  Both, along with the Ashby Inn, "feel" like a restaurant for Thanksgiving.

We've had Thanksgiving at the Ashby Inn for the past 3 years and every year it was just fabulous.  The ambiance at the Ashby is absolutely perfect for Thanksgiving.  And, of course, Tarver was the chef during those years, so the food was incredible.  Haven't been out there since the new chef started, so I can't say how it might be now.  Four years ago, we had Thanksgiving at 1789.  Again, the ambiance is perfect for the holiday and the food was quite good.  This year, we've decided to have Thanksgiving at Corduroy.  The décor won't evoke an early-American atmosphere, but the food will be outstanding, and we can walk there.

I guess Old South Mountain Inn is out? The food is sketchy, but it's really a lovely setting in the autumn. Every bit as lovely as Ashby Inn (not including Ashby's patio, of course).

Comus Inn? I know it's outside of your diameter, but it's small enough where the service won't be a problem (and, it's a buffet). If I lived up the I-270 corridor and still had family :(, I would consider going here. Once you get off I-270, however, the road does get a bit curvy.

I would love to go to Comus Inn.  I may drag Mr. BLB there one weekend so he can get a sense of it.  Boonsboro is definitely too far.

The whole thing is an exercise in making me as crazy and unhappy as possible...

Edited to add:  The other problem with Comus is that they only serve until 5 pm.  In-laws plane doesn't get in until 1 pm and they will want to rest for a few hours before we go...

Is the idea of picking up a meal somewhere and doing it at home a completely crazy one?  And when picking up the meal, you could buy ingredients for one simple Thanksgivinakkah dish.  That's some work (plus setting the table, etc.) but maybe would be manageable.

My in-laws loved Tower Oaks Lodge.

I will say our server was bubbly and personable.

But not a single plate came to the table that wasn't wrong in some way.  Some were missing sweet potatoes, others cranberry sauce, two didn't have stuffing or green beans.    And we were crammed into a booth for 4 people instead of the table for 5 we had been promised.

But we were together,  the battery powered menorah worked and I don't have to go back for another year.

• Like 2

It is that time of year again, when I look longingly at menus in the city and then settle for someplace in MoCo.

The criteria is--not too loud, not too crowded, not too far from the Rio Center, ability to order more than just turkey and the service needs to be excellent.

Over the years we have tried:

Normandie Farm--my fave but too far of a drive on a curvy road with family that gets car sick.

Founding Farmers--perfect the first year they were open and then a disaster the next year.

Tower Oaks Lodge--or as my MIL calls it, that place with the animal heads.  Serviceable and too loud. And yet they asked to go back last year.

This year's contenders:

Comus Inn--my first choice but too far and it's a buffet.  I don't see that going over well.

Brasserie Beck in the Kentlands--was surprisingly loud last time we went.

Ruth Chris's Steakhouse in Downtown Crown

Chef Geoff's--too far probably but likely to have consistent food.

Can anyone make a good place for somewhere else?

Thanks!

It's pretty late to be reserving for Thanksgiving, especially considering how many restaurants are closed that day. Have you tried going to Open Table and just seeing what's available for Nov. 27th at a time you'd like to dine? When I put in four people for 7 pm in the District of Columbia (and I have no idea if that's what you need) there are quite a lot of hits, some of them good restaurants. Among those known to me personally, there's Bibiana, Equinox, the Oval Room, Café du Parc, Fiola, Al Dente, Corduroy, Alba Osteria, Casa Luca....surely one of those would suit. The Trio (yes, the Trio now takes reservations through Open Table. Amazing.).

I bet Gypsy Soul would do a great Thanksgiving (they appear to be open and have reservation availability on Opentable); the Southern-inspired menu seems like it would translate well to a hearty holiday meal.  (I'm going to attempt to recreate their delicious honey-orange glazed carrots for my own Thanksgiving!)

I bet Gypsy Soul would do a great Thanksgiving (they appear to be open and have reservation availability on Opentable); the Southern-inspired menu seems like it would translate well to a hearty holiday meal. (I'm going to attempt to recreate their delicious honey-orange glazed carrots for my own Thanksgiving!)

This is a simple recipe. Medium heirloom carrots we peel them. Toss with orange infused oil thyme Rosemary roast at 400 until tender. When the are done. We drizzle with burnt orange infused honey. Simply caramelize oranges that have been cut in half and dipped lightly in honey place onto a hot cast iron skillet or grill. Mince caramel used. Squeeze the juice into the honey and mince the zest to toss on the carrots.

• Like 3