Sangria

My wife is making a batch of sangria for a party this weekend. She found a recipe that is supposedly from Jaleo.

What type of red wine does one typically use for sangria. Also, I am a little skeptical of the recipe. If anyone has a go to sangria recipe please send my way.

I made 3 gallons for a party a few weeks ago and opted for Charles Shaw Cab from Trader Joes. I know and usually abide by the "get something cheap but drinkable" rule for sangria (or cooking with wine) but the financial implications of buying three gallons worth of good wine drowned out the voice in my head that was telling me to get something better. I thought with the sugar, brandy, triple sec, splash of oj, fruit and cinnamon sticks that you wouldn't notice it. The final product did taste like sangria but there was very little "wine" flavor coming through the punch flavors in the final product, if that makes any sense. All in all not nearly as good as my usual sangria made with superior wine but once I am using 6 or more bottles I think the cost difference starts outweighing the benefit of more expensive wine.

This time of year, when pollen is wreaking havoc on so many people’s sinuses, I opt for a white-wine based Sangria. I made the recipe below for an event last week with great success. It's based on the Cook's Illustrated version.

Instead of a Pint Grigio or another “usual suspect” white wine, opt for a Vinho Verde from Portugal. As of last week, Curious Grape in Shirlington had a stellar, just-on-the-edge-of-effervescence bottle for $10.99 a pop. You could go with even less expensive wine, of course, especially if you let the mixture mellow for a half day or more before serving. Since the rinds are going straight into the mix, aim for organically grown fruit if you can.

Barely more alcoholic than regular wine, no teeth staining, and less histamine reaction. Light, bright, fruity, and refreshing.

Plan on doubling the recipe, this one disappears quickly.

White Wine Sangria

2 large oranges (I choose blood orange for dramatic color)

1 large lemon (could use lime instead, but lemon will offer brighter flavor)

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons Grand Mariner (or Triple Sec)

1 (750-ml.) bottle chilled, medium-bodied, fruity white wine

Slice one of the oranges into quarter-inch slices. Juice the other orange, discard the rind, keep the juice. Slice the lemon into quarter inch slices.

Put orange slices, lemon slices, and sugar into a large pitcher. Muddle with a wooden spoon, mashing a bit until sugar dissolves and fruit releases some juice and pulp, but is not pulverized, about one minute or so. Stir in the juice from the orange, the Grand Mariner, and wine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to a full day. Letting the flavors meld like this is important for the juiciest flavor.

Before serving, add ice cubes to the pitcher, and stir thoroughly to redistribute the fruit. You could also add chopped mango, apple, or other fruit as a final garnish just before serving.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Classic-Spani...ria/Detail.aspx

This is my family's go-to sangria, never had a complaint, with most people clamoring for more. We usually add other fruits not listed as well. Trsut me, you can't go wrong here, and with 1.5 cups of rum to boot, you'll tie on a nice one :rolleyes:

Thanks. This is the version we went with and it was a big hit. We also added some additional fruit. Not really my thing but my wife wanted to make it and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks again to all who provided suggestions.

Happened to be eating lunch at a bar that sells a lot of sangria.  In fact combined the red and white sangria's are either their best selling single item, or second.  The sangria is popular and has been for years.  Frankly I've enjoyed both the red and white versions. 

The wines, red or white?   Boxed versions or as @Mark Slater said many years ago  up thread with regard to which red  "cheap but drinkable".  The white also includes an inexpensive light flavored brandy.

Sangria's can be very tasty with less expensive ingredients.  (thank goodness).