Galileo III, Downtown in the old Butterfield 9 Space - Closed

your examples were non specific what if's, not concrete examples. So unless the folks running it are known to be good upstanding citizens, we should just assume that everywhere is shady and avoid them all and anything short of that would be hypocritical?

No, I'm saying that what may be hypocritical here is dumping all over this particular individual whose problems have been well publicized, while simply ignoring other situations which most everybody knows, in his heart and as a factual matter, are also bad.

Not the same thing.

Put another way, anybody can and should do what feels correct to him. But to advise others, and particularly to think ill of others who reach a different judgement, is going a step beyond. JMHO.

[i've been sitting back and letting this discussion unfold on its own - I haven't deleted or edited a thing (except to remove triple spaces). Several people have written me privately and said how fascinating the discourse is. From my point of view, the severity of the "personal attacks" (i.e., the posters harshly judging one another) has been a bit overstated - I think it's remarkable how civil this conversation has been. But with the last few posts, this thread has become a bit bogged down, and is in danger of tilting. John, all I'd ask is that before you question whether people should jump into the discussion here, you read your own words above. Everyone please try and keep the discussion focused on Galileo III (the restaurant, or the issues surrounding it), rather than discussing the discussion itself (which (even though it has its own interestingly recursive component) seems likely to spiral into insignificance). :mellow: Cheers, DR]

You can add the well-known chef asking their kitchen staff to work 50 or 60 hours and clock only 40 hours!!!

There are quite a lot of those.

I was not easy in the kitchen but I always paid my employees what they worked for.

Thank you, Chef, for weighing in here and for your kind words on my site. I have heard of local chefs who do this, and who mistreat their employees in other ways. I can think of at least two high-end restaurants that I don't patronize because I have heard from former employees and other in the business that they treat their staff like crap.

xdcx said:

What better place would there be to talk about the morality and ethics of the restaurant business than a food board full of people who eat out a a lot and restaurateurs? Who better to talk about it than people who care enough to post on message boards about their meals?

I completely agree. As for the question of why focus on just this one place...our days form a mosaic of small value judgments that, with luck, add up to an ethical whole that lets us sleep at night. I read specific information about this place, and these people, that crossed a line. It's my opinion and by expressing it, I hoped to influence my community to make different decisions for themselves. I fail to see anything wrong with that.

From B.A.R.: "The reincarnation of G3 seems to be nothing less than one last sting, preceded by 15 years worth of fraud with wine companies, wine distributors, investors, payroll shenanigans, tax evasion, etc. etc. etc."

That is "it" precisely! This oiled operation hollowed out the business like termites. M.O.: obtain fine wines and expensive liquors, stiff vendors and staff, pay de minimis taxes, dodge rent, funnel cash to...Say, wait a sec! Where did all that cash wind its way to? Since the cash was skimmed, a fork is now stuck in the business, the only issue that matters is the adequacy of the CUT.

May I suggest Corrado is not now enjoying la dolce vita? Might well be sweating bullets in bella Roma. Such widespread adverse publicity can not be welcome by the "Italian" ownership. Rome offers numerous examples of well-known crime families hollowing out celebrity restaurants, laundering illicit gains, sucking them bone dry into insolvency. Google "George's" on Via Veneto for a particularly craven debauch by organized cutie pies.

Might we also hypothecate an East Coast family-owned loan outfit is in contact with ownership about the books of account presented to justify the CUT?

After all, based on WaPo articles, "Italian ownership" now knows it's not dealing with paradigms of veracity.

May I suggest Corrado is not now enjoying la dolce vita? Might well be sweating bullets in bella Roma. Such widespread adverse publicity can not be welcome by the "Italian" ownership. Rome offers numerous examples of well-known crime families hollowing out celebrity restaurants, laundering illicit gains, sucking them bone dry into insolvency. Google "George's" on Via Veneto for a particularly craven debauch by organized cutie pies.

Now THIS is where the situation gets interesting! How fascinating would it be if G3 was simply a shell to allow the mafia to get some money back that Donna owed them? Could RD be the poor soul who didn't have a choice in the matter or else he'd wake up dead? Was he made the offer he couldn't refuse? How cool!!

Now THIS is where the situation gets interesting! How fascinating would it be if G3 was simply a shell to allow the mafia to get some money back that Donna owed them? Could RD be the poor soul who didn't have a choice in the matter or else he'd wake up dead? Was he made the offer he couldn't refuse? How cool!!

This doesn't explain why he lives in a huge chateau but I agree, that story would be very interesting. maybe a CSI about G3

Sorry, MIke. My comment was mostly (but not completely) tongue-in-cheek.

I was referring to wristband's post, which was what started the ridiculous Mafia allegations.

Full disclosure - my wife and I are good friends of the Donnas. My wife was Roberto's pastry chef at the first Galileo on P Street circa 1988. We've visited his mother, sister, bro-in-law, famil and friends in his hometown of San Sebastiano da Po, near Torino.

I've heard his side of the story, but I don't feel it's my place to share it here. Suffice it to say that there are two sides to every story, and all we've really heard is what's come from his detractors. I won't namedrop, but there are a lot of chefs who would not have their careers today if they had not gotten their start working with Roberto.

Kicking a man when he's down is pretty classless, at least IMO

And I'm really looking forward to dinner at G3 tonight.

[Despite the potentially explosive content of this thread, please remember that gentleness and kindness are two important virtues. There is no reason, for example, that people couldn't have a substantive, passionate debate about even the most controversial and divisive topic while still being considerate, one to the other.

This begs the issue of whether we should be gentle and kind to Roberto himself. Personally, I choose to be because I feel that when someone is at their lowest moment, that is precisely the time that they need friends. Others may feel differently, and that's okay too. But please remember that, in general, personal attacks are not allowed on this board, and Roberto is a person.

Yes, debate, argue about, and flat-out condemn the facts, by all means. But please avoid drawing conclusions such as, "Convicted Felon + Bogus Italian Business Interest + Mansion in McLean + Assets in Wife's Name = Scum of the Earth" because we have no proof that this (the scum of the earth aspect) is true. If my son's life were at risk, I'd happily lie, cheat, steal, and perhaps even kill to save his - does this make me scum of the earth? Maybe, and If so, then so be it. Please think before you post and remember that, at all levels, real people are interplaying here, and that life is not always as simple as it looks.

My goal here is not to absolve anyone of anything; merely to keep the level of discourse, vigorous as it has been, at an extremely high level. Facts always speak louder than emotional accusations, yes, but I think everyone here should be quite proud of themselves for having been model citizens when it comes to this debate, truly.

Roberto, if you're reading this, you can call upon me any time if you find yourself in trouble (flat tire on the side of the beltway? I'd be there in 20 minutes); I cannot promise you I could do anything that would help you with your alleged legal problems even though my humanity cares for your humanity.

Geez, this is a poorly written post, but it's too long for me to go back and edit, so here it goes as is ....

Cheers,

Rocks]

Fine. Allegations of connections to organized crime are completely over the top.

I think at this point, it's what happens when people look at this situation and try and rationalize how this could happen repeatedly. The mafia makes way more sense than just bad luck and bad management 4 times.

[Despite the potentially explosive content of this thread, please remember that gentleness and kindness are two important virtues. There is no reason, for example, that people couldn't have a substantive, passionate debate about even the most controversial and divisive topic while still being considerate, one to the other.

This begs the issue of whether we should be gentle and kind to Roberto himself. Personally, I choose to be because I feel that when someone is at their lowest moment, that is precisely the time that they need friends. Others may feel differently, and that's okay too. But please remember that, in general, personal attacks are not allowed on this board, and Roberto is a person.

Yes, debate, argue about, and flat-out condemn the facts, by all means. But please avoid drawing conclusions such as, "Convicted Felon + Bogus Italian Business Interest + Mansion in McLean + Assets in Wife's Name = Scum of the Earth" because we have no proof that this (the scum of the earth aspect) is true. If my son's life were at risk, I'd happily lie, cheat, steal, and perhaps even kill to save his - does this make me scum of the earth? Maybe, and If so, then so be it. Please think before you post and remember that, at all levels, real people are interplaying here, and that life is not always as simple as it looks.

My goal here is not to absolve anyone of anything; merely to keep the level of discourse, vigorous as it has been, at an extremely high level. Facts always speak louder than emotional accusations, yes, but I think everyone here should be quite proud of themselves for having been model citizens when it comes to this debate, truly.

Roberto, if you're reading this, you can call upon me any time if you find yourself in trouble (flat tire on the side of the beltway? I'd be there in 20 minutes); I cannot promise you I could do anything that would help you with your alleged legal problems even though my humanity cares for your humanity.

Geez, this is a poorly written post, but it's too long for me to go back and edit, so here it goes as is ....

Cheers,

Rocks]

Very well said, and you've expressed exactly how I feel about this situation far more eloquently than I could have.

Thank you!

[And again, we're discussing the merits of the discussion itself. Please let's not get bogged down. I don't mean to be a sniveling ninny, but the chief end of literature is to instruct and delight, and in the past few hours, this thread has done precious little of either. Let's get it back, okay?]

Again, for those interested in factual discourse, do Google "George's" on Via Veneto in Roma. Read & ponder the delights. Then google many other Rome restuarants hollowed out by family gangster termites, a practice molto notorioso in the Eternal city. But here in DC? Huh? Dig and consider the interesting circumstances which are repeated, uh yup, ad nauseum documented in WaPo. Golly gosh, what does this mean?

Could this simply be a folk tale about SKIM & THE CUT? Fear not! Up here in the peanut gallery reading WaPo articles detailing a well coiled operation, same folks nailed over & over, coughs up obvious clues. Namely, where precisely did all of that damn cash wander off to? Linen suppliers? Radio ads? Limos? Party favors?

To "ownership"? Goodness gracious, I am amnesiac. Exactly who are the mysterioso Italian "owners"? Mr. Chapman please provide names. Corrado, might now you cheerfully spill where the cash went? If G3 is indeed kaput (how would I know?) after this article, why then certified cash flow statements a DC accounting firm will pinpoint the flow of G3 cash easily. Pray tell, which accounting firm handles G3 biz and will those CPAs now attest to the accuracy of the numbers? Thought not.

Off the books cash activity is a fascinating forensic subject. Especially of interest to those who claim a piece of a cash flowing business. Caveat emptor and all that.

And let's not forget the steady stream of emails from the chef offering cooking classes in his home - cash only, of course - throughout the break between Bebo and G3, while tax obligations and employees remained unpaid.

Those emails have become spam for me. I've written 3 or 4 pleading emails to be removed from their mailing list with no response, and the emails keep coming.

Totally appreciate Rock's posts and the fact-based, disagree-without-being disagreeable stuff coming out more here now. Have been offline the past 24 hours trying to skirt Irene (and make a trip North :-)).

To that end--of good, fact-based discussion that doesn't vilify people where facts aren't fully known--I wish we had more perspective and views here from the under-represented side that still supports G3 and would dine there. I understand Mike isn't comfortable sharing what he may know from his friendship with Roberto Donna but maybe he can share something or someone else might also? I'm personally currently in the camp of avoid based on what I know. But I'd value knowing more since I fully realize there may be a bigger story here to which I'm oblivious. The legal facts (whether decisions, pending cases or filings) are facts and do seem to be a trend but what fact-based counter to that might there be?

Those emails have become spam for me. I've written 3 or 4 pleading emails to be removed from their mailing list with no response, and the emails keep coming.

A bit off topic and apologies if blindingly obvious but most any email program allows you to block or filter specific sender addresses or domains. That's what I always do if 2 attempts to be removed from a list don't work.

It seems to me that, for folks like us who are interested in food and dining and who dine out a lot, to plunge into questions of morality and ethics related to the restaurant business is treacherous at best. How many don't eat at Chinese restaurants, for example, because the help in the kitchen, imported from rural China, is likely working 15 hour days and being paid slave wages, as is often the case? Or for that matter have "boycotted" that little French place on the corner because the kitchen help is mostly illegals who would be overjoyed to get minimum wage? Piling into Roberto may be justified, but if it is it would seem there are many other opportunities out there for similar outrage that get a pass.

For me it is neither morality or ethics.

I have just read your post. I've spent a big chunk of my life in Hong Kong, Taiwan and PRC, so I rarely eat in Chinese restaurants in DC area, I can't comment on how they are run and how the employees are paid. There is no little French restaurant on the corner that I go to in Arlington, VA, so I can't comment on that either, although I know from NYT reports that staff has had complains about Daniel Boulud whose recipes I treasure and whose food I hope to taste one day.

However, I know only too well that I am a minority of 1, but I won't eat at Graffiato. I am sure the loss is mine, but I don't care how amazing Mike Isabella's food may be, I won't eat it. I could NOT enjoy a meal prepared by a person who so rudely and crudely harassed a seemingly vulnerable human being. He was rude to a fellow contestant, supposedly his "equal." He did this knowing that cameras were rolling and the exchange would be broadcast urbi et orbi. If he can behave like that infront of a camera, how does he behave when there is no camera and no witnesses and he is dealing with an Asian or Hispanic who speak very little English, know nothing about their rights and desperately need a job? I could not enjoy a meal prepared by some one like that.

Similarly I have driven to Frederick to eat at Volt, and will do so again and again, but I won't patronize Michael Voltaggio's restaurant even if he opens one next door to my house. No matter how well Mike and Michael execute their dishes and how smoothly they run their restaurants their on camera behavior left a permanent bad taste in my mouth and even if they shower me with "all you can eat" complimentary boutargues (I normally would sell my soul for) I won't eat their food.

For me it is neither morality or ethics.

I have just read your post. I've spent a big chunk of my life in Hong Kong, Taiwan and PRC, so I rarely eat in Chinese restaurants in DC area, I can't comment on how they are run and how the employees are paid. There is no little French restaurant on the corner that I go to in Arlington, VA, so I can't comment on that either, although I know from NYT reports that staff has had complains about Daniel Boulud whose recipes I treasure and whose food I hope to taste one day.

However, I know only too well that I am a minority of 1, but I won't eat at Graffiato. I am sure the loss is mine, but I don't care how amazing Mike Isabella's food may be, I won't eat it. I could NOT enjoy a meal prepared by a person who so rudely and crudely harassed a seemingly vulnerable human being. He was rude to a fellow contestant, supposedly his "equal." He did this knowing that cameras were rolling and the exchange would be broadcast urbi et orbi. If he can behave like that infront of a camera, how does he behave when there is no camera and no witnesses and he is dealing with an Asian or Hispanic who speak very little English, know nothing about their rights and desperately need a job? I could not enjoy a meal prepared by some one like that.

Similarly I have driven to Frederick to eat at Volt, and will do so again and again, but I won't patronize Michael Voltaggio's restaurant even if he opens one next door to my house. No matter how well Mike and Michael execute their dishes and how smoothly they run their restaurants their on camera behavior left a permanent bad taste in my mouth and even if they shower me with "all you can eat" complimentary boutargues (I normally would sell my soul for) I won't eat their food.

I would not recommend basing opiinions of personality on a television show. These shows are highly edited, designed to provoke the audience, and the personalities are most often contractually obligated to follow the direction and intent of the production company and director.

I would not recommend basing opiinions of personality on a television show. These shows are highly edited, designed to provoke the audience, and the personalities are most often contractually obligated to follow the direction and intent of the production company and director.

I had to give up my TV job (producer/reporter/eventually anchor) when my now 23 year old turned 7. One day out of the blue, she smiled rather shyly, looked me in the eye and asked if there was any way that I could pick her up from school every day. She said there were so many things she had to share and it could not wait till the next day because everyday I came home after she was asleep.

What I am trying to say is that I have a first hand knowledge of how TV works, what TV can and can't do. For example, I can write a fairly credible article or blog stating that last night Billyy DeLion assaulted me in the parking lot. I can broadcast it on the radio and post it on the internet describing in colorful detail how Billy DeLion assaulted me last night in the parking lot. I can photoshop a picture showing Bllly DeLion assaulting me in the parking lot, but if it has never taken place and Billy DeLion is not willing to cooperate with the camera crew there is no way I can get a film of Billy DeLion assaulting me.

It is immaterial to me whether Mike & Michael displayed what I consider despicable behavior towards another vulnerable human being on their own "initiative" or due to their "contractual obligations" ( that other Top Chef contestants did not seem to have) I won't eat or pay for their food.

Your post reminded me that I had to deal with an issue in similar *category* in my youth. While living in Europe on US $$$ I fell in love with Veuve Clicquot Champagne. In those days I was not much of a drinker and all of my friends knew that if I were to have a drink it wold be a glass or two of Veuve-Clicquot. Years later I learned that widow Clicquot's brew was Hitler's favorite drink. I had a very hard time accepting that . I no longer enjoy chanpagne.

"“It’s the end of the Jean-Louis era as well,” said Pastan, invoking the late Jean-Louis Palladin, the famous French chef at the Watergate who mentored many young chefs in the District, including Donna."

So say Woodward and Bernstein. :mellow:

I'm going to hell.