Galileo III, Downtown in the old Butterfield 9 Space - Closed

Ok done, I will extend it to next Saturday the 16 of October. But just for the DonRockwellians. Mention that you're a MEMBER OF DON ROCKWELL when reserving your table - and if you're not, then please JOIN before reserving.

Chef Donna, your promotion has led me to come out of my longtime status as a passive (yet daily) observer of this wonderful forum and to join and participate. I had the pleasure of speaking to your lovely wife when I called for reservations yesterday (Wed.) and my wife and I are greatly looking forward to a special dinner Saturday night. Congrats on the opening and we are looking forward to joining you this weekend.

To everyone else in this thread and throughout the site, thank you for keeping me and others apprised of the dining scene here in the DC area and I look forward to contributing to this community.

- Don

For anyone that has been around long enough to remember when the last incarnation of Galileo was a single concept restaurant -- no laboratorio, no osteria, and no grill, and the dining room was the sole focus -- you should be excited about Galileo III. The current incarnation of Galileo evokes what originally made that a special restaurant, though this is definitely an updated version.

My dining companion and I took advantage of the DR.com deal tonight at the bar, which we split, and can honestly say that every dish was exceptional. From what we selected, it seems like they've opened with a heavier fall menu with a lot of hearty flavors. We started with the Budino Di Parmigiano, which is a gooey pot of cheese with deep mushroom flavor and a healthy slice of truffle. As appetizers, we had the Porcini, which is basically a fritter with sauteed porcini and a black truffle sauce, and the Capesante, which is scallops with smears of yellow and black polenta. For our "mains" we had the Mezzelune pasta, a dumpling-like pasta filled with eggplant and crab in a rather striking orange sauce, and the lamb with celery root pure, artichokes, and an equally intriguing coffee sauce.

As for beverages, the cocktail menu features several of Chris' "greatest hits," including the El Diablo Magarita from Andale, and the amazing Manhattan from Dino, both of which may be even better than I remember. My companion got a trully great pear sidecar that I would also recommend. The wine list is fairly small right now, but the "Bliss" Sauvignon Blanc that my companion had, which is one of about ten whites available by the glass, was very good. And the bar menu, which is not yet in place, sounds like it will feature about ten items and be priced a bit more gently.

I should also mention the staff, all of whom could not have been nicer or more professional.

In short, go get the deal that Chef Donna has offered. This is the rare restaurant opening that lives up to the hype. Congratulations to everyone involved and thanks to Chris for the hospitality.

I made a reservation for this coming Saturday. The staff and maitre D couldn't have been more gracious and helpful. I am looking forward to Sat's meal. Great to hear an early review!

Sounds like I will see everyone Saturday night. I assume the dress code is business casual (no jeans).

Been around long enough to remember the opening of Galileo and was a frequent diner. Looking forward to our dinner Saturday.

You guys now make feel like I should extend this to next week, because my family of staff and my self have loved having you warm my new restaurant.Should I ? What do you think?

Ciao Roberto

Please do as I have a reservation for Friday night!

You guys now make feel like I should extend this to next week, because my family of staff and my self have loved having you warm my new restaurant.Should I ? What do you think?

Ciao Roberto

That would be very generous and appreciated I am sure - however not taking my chances. Managed to book a reservation a little while ago, be there early Saturday!! Thanks in advice, looking forward to what sounds like some amazing food!

My wife and I are good friends of Roberto and his wife Nancy. We're very happy to see that he's open again.

We've eaten in the restaurant twice last week during the "soft open."

I was at the bar last night with some friends and met a couple of DonRockwell posters. I didn't know about the $55.00 special until Chris mentioned it to us. Fantastic food for that price!

My wife and I have reservations for tonight at 8:00.

We went last night. I believe Galileo III is a return to the excellence Roberto founded in the '80's and raised to the national level at Laboratorio in the early 2000's.

The room itself does not feel like a room in Washington. Or in America for that matter. With the mostly Italian dining and kitchen staff it could as easily be in Milano or Roma or Torino. The softly lit dining room with private rooms on a balcony encircling it has a large, signature Murano glass crystal chandelier in the center of it. The open kitchen is in the rear of one dining room. Tables #22 and #23 are DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF IT similar to the old and legendary table #7 at Laboratorio. These are the two tables that everyone should ask to sit in when they reserve. You are no more than five or six feet from the kitchen counter; they are special.

Galileo III is a smart, comfortable restaurant which feels celebratorial at the right table; it also feels like a room where a jacket may be an appropriate choice. Chris, Nancy, the Ligurian maitre d' (forgive me for forgetting his name) and a number of dark suited staff are warm, welcoming and considerate. Every diner seemed to be a focus of theirs'. A wonderful receptive ambience.

Budino. Budino di Parmigiano. This is a Reggiano Parmgiano cheese pudding topped with a thick layer of Burrata cheese, cream of porcini mushrooms and a generous slice of black truffle. Simply, one of the besh dishes in the D. C. area right now; this is Roberto's "duck stew" of 2010. Anyone eating at Galileo III should not leave without trying it.

It is not the only outstanding dish that we tried. We were able to work our way through a total of twelve courses over three and a half hours and left feeling that we had a Laboratorio experience. Zuppa di Castagne is an espresso size cup of extraordinary chestnut soup "tartra timbale, rabbit sausage, Mascarpone cheese, pancetta and duck gizzard." Delicious as was Taglierini Neri Ali' Aragosta which is black squid ink taglierini served in a lobster cream sauce with large chunks of butter poached lobster tail. A fourth memorable dish was "Ravioli Verdi Alla Fonduta"-green ravioli filled with Fonduta cheese served in a sage and butter sauce. (This was also a staple at Laboratorio.)

Roberto excels with pasta and risotto: Raviolini Del Plin are small "pinched" ravioli filled with "three meats & served in veal jus." Excellent risotto was "carneroli cooked with chicken broth, quail, porcini mushrooms, pork, sausage topped with sauteed quail breast and quail jus." Each individual kernal of arborio could be tasted from the hand stirred risotto. Agnolotti are round pillow shaped pasta filled with ricotta and spinach in a creamy mascarpone sauce.

Perhaps approaching the Budino was "Porcini" which the menu describes as "porcini mushrooms two ways: stuffed legs with Fonduta cheese, breaded and sauteed. Roasted head with garlic and parsley, black truffle sauce." This was our seventh or eighth course but it was a showstopper. First courses, pasta, risotto are exemplery at Galileo III. Seated at table 22 (or 23) this really did feel and taste exactly like Laboratorio.

But there was more: an excellent fresh sea scallop served atop black polenta, sauteed lobster mushrooms and cream sauce; "Rombo" which was potato dusted and sauteed turbot with caponatina and green olive sauce; also a very good lamb dish which truly stuffed, I forgot to take notes on!

Then dessert.

Roberto's interpretation of a dark chocolate torta with pistachio, lime, basil and coconut. However, I thought the standout, possible signature dessert may have been the "Gianduja Semi Freddo" featuring coffee, cinnamon, hazelnut, banana and rum.

Welcome home, Chef!

Joe, thank you for saying all that. I was flubbing up mightily trying to write about it on Wednesday night, so that's why we let the pictures do the talking. (A Manhattan cocktail plus a half bottle of wine may have been a contributing factor.)

I'm really glad that there will be a bar menu and a bar price for items from the dinner menu.

Grover and I had a simply amazing dinner last night (and you're right about tables 22 and 23, Joe H). We were seated at 22 and were greeted warmly by everyone from inside the front door all the way to our table. It was great seeing Chris again (who came to make sure the wines he selected for us were "okay"...(hah! f*ing wonderful is more like it)). I won't even begin to describe the food, we each had separate dishes which we shared (with the exception of the Aragosta which she wouldn't share). This is an amazing offer and one you should take advantage of. The food is an unbelievable combination of flavors and textures, the service is old-world excellent (Antonio, our server, explained every dish, every wine.) and the price is unbelievable for the quality and amount of food.

PS: if Chef Donna offers you a taste of risotto, even if you think you can't eat another thing ever, take it. Every grain bursts with flavor and every grain is cooked to perfection.

Ciao Roberto

You would get at least one customer to give it a try. :(

Longer review of a great meal when I'm at a keyboard and not a phone. For now, though, I leave you with this: get the Branzino. Period. The best fish I've ever had. Prepared en papillote and then fileted at tableside so no worries about bones or anything.

Remember: Branzino.

Made a dinner reservation for Friday earlier today. After seeing the photographs, looking forward to it even more.

Staff was very nice and gracious over the telephone. I know there is a lot riding on it for everyone,

but liked the tone set so far of simply being nice.

I had the same experience. Those pictures and the menu totally sold me. I can't wait until Saturday night!!!

I arrived at Galileo III (unfashionably) on-time as usual at the old man hour of 5 and was quickly greeted and seated as Customer Uno (I had the place to myself until Mr Due came in about 10 minutes later.) After perusing the menu, I made my choices...

First, the budino di Parmigiano. As has been said many times here, this Parmigiano Reggiano cheese pudding topped with Burrata cheese is quite amazing. Dense, creamy...mmm. Unless you are lactose intolerant, get this; at least one for the table is required.

Around this time, the accompanying bread and basil(?) butter arrived was quite good, though the grissini stole the show here. I almost had to ask for seconds.

Next, the ravioli verdi alla fonduta. Green ravioli filled with fonduta cheese and finished with a sage and butter sauce. I am a big big fan of sage and butter sauces on pasta (one of my few specialties) so I knew I had to get this...and was glad. It was also accented by a breaded and fried sage leaf. Chef Donna, if you want a new appetizer, please, oh please, offer a dish of these. I could have eaten 20 of them just on their own.

Third was the risotto con le qualgie, the quail risotto. This wasn't quite as creamy a risotto as I've had at other places, and I think it was better for it. The notes of the quail were allowed to shine since it wasn't overpowered by tons of butter or cheese. Very good.

But, then came the pièce de résistance: the branzino. As I said before, get this. Branzino cooked en papillote with potatoes, pearl onions, garlic, capers, olives...mmm. The fish was brought out still in the pouch which was opened up tableside, all removed and transferred to a platter and then a light drizzle of olive oil on top of the fish. And, oh, what a fish. Probably the best fish I've ever had. Moist, succulent, flavorful and cooked to per-fec-tion. If you are trying to decide between the veal and the lobster, get the branzino. It is just that good. Chef Donna, I salute you.

Finally, on the recommendation of my waitron, I had the gianduja for dessert. Wonderful flavor and a perfect texture somewhere between gelato, mousse, sorbet...just right. In truth, I could have done without the coffee foam on it, but that's mainly because I just don't get foams.

All in all, a great experience. The service was just right. Not hovering, but not distant. Bravo Chef Donna and staff!

First, the budino di Parmigiano....

Next, the ravioli verdi alla fonduta....

Third was the risotto con le qualgie, the quail risotto....

But, then came the pièce de résistance: the branzino.

Not to quibble, this sounds wonderful -- but previous posts (especially the pix here) made it sound as though this donrockwell-special was ending up being many many courses, an almost unbelievable deal -- not so, or variable, or...?

Four courses plus dessert. Excellent so far - dessert still to come. This has been a wonderful meal to this point. At the special price @chef Donna is offering, this is way too good to pass up. Make reservations now. Don't wait.

I imagine other posts seem to have many dishes because 2 or 3 people are dining leading to descriptions of 8 or 12 dishes. Bring solo, it's "just" the 4 and dessert.

That is definitely part of the reason, but I think Joe H had the 8-10 course tasting menu, which was described to us and is obviously a non-DR-deal option. For the record, the 4+dessert option stuffed 3 of us healthy eaters, who ate breakfast around 10, had a light snack around 3, and then ate at 6:45. BTW, the chestnut soup is amazing and incredibly filling, so if you get it, make sure your other courses are light. The pancetta-wrapped monkfish was moist and flavorful. I enjoyed the veal medallions, although now I wish I had tried the branzino, but I have no real regrets - I think it's difficult to go completely wrong right now. They're obviously trying very hard. As others have noted, the service was quite gracious, and an error on the check was quickly fixed. Roberto's wife walking around chatting with the tables in her gorgeous Italian boots was also a highlight. :(

Not to quibble, this sounds wonderful -- but previous posts (especially the pix here) made it sound as though this donrockwell-special was ending up being many many courses, an almost unbelievable deal -- not so, or variable, or...?

Those pix are from 3 people dining. Three people x 4 courses=12 dishes and if everyone orders something different, that's a good bit of the menu (and some great dining). There were two of us for dinner on Friday night and we had 8 different courses plus two different desserts. Don't worry, you will get way more than your money's worth. Chef Donna and Galileo III would be worth it if it were only two courses.

Dinner was wonderful last night. Chef Donna is definitely back and on top of his game.

Service was excellent and Nancy was an extrememly charming hostess. We were two seated at table 22 so we were right down in front. Joe is right these are the tables to be requested when you are looking for an experience reminiscent of the lab (you are that close). Chef Donna came up to the front several times during dinner and we had the opportunity to chat with him.

A glass of persecco is the perfect way to start off a meal here; not too sweet, not too too tart. There was not one bad course and each bult upon the other. Chef Donna's strength has always been pasta and risotto. Tonight seafood elevated that to a higher level.

Just a mention of my favorite dishes last night

Scallops were excellent both in flavor and doneness.

Black Taglierini with lobster tail - This is setting the bar of excellence. I always worry about lobster tail coming out overdone this tail was done exactly as it should be.

Budino - I really had no idea what to expect, but I ordered this through recommendation - Parmigiano Reggiano cheese pudding - JUST DO IT!!!

Chestnut soup - Very rich and flavorful

Thank You to Chef Donna for offering the special and his hospitality.

Just a reminder to members using the discount offered - Please be sure to tip before discount, the staff really worked hard last night and definitely deserves our appreciation.

We had the privilege of dining at Galileo III last night. The last time I dined at Galileo was November 11th, 1989. I remember the EXACT date, do you think I’ve missed it?! Obviously, I was eagerly anticipating the return of Galileo, and the offer they made to DR members was impossible to resist. Our experience last night was very good, but not spectacular.

Highlights of the night: Nancy, Roberto’s wife, is a fabulous hostess. She made us feel very welcome. The Gingered Sidecar from Chris: I’d never had a sidecar before, tend to order gin martinis, this was among the best cocktails I’ve ever had. Taglierini Neri All’Aragosta: Black Taglierini served in a lobster cream sauce &butter poached Maine lobster tail. The Ravioli Verdi: Green ravioli filled with Fonduta served in a butter & sage sauce – really delicious. The herb spread served with the house-made bread: possibly the best spread I’ve ever had. This and the house-made kalamata bread were SO good.

Lowlights: Sadly, the Risotto. I love Risotto and tend to order it wherever it appears on a reputable menu. This risotto, however, was way undercooked…Creamy? No. The rice was really chewy, almost hard, and the flavors were underwhelming. Also, the Crostata di Mele (Apple Crostata) on the dessert menu: nothing special at all.

The rest of our meal was good, sometimes very good, but not great:

Budino di Parmigiano: I know this has gotten a lot of love on DR. I found it tasty, but kind of a gelatinous mess. Certainly not transporting.

Capesante: Sautéed sea scallop atop yellow &black polenta, sautéed lobster mushrooms, cream sauce. Just to be clear: this included exactly ONE scallop. The taste: Scallop cooked perfectly; flavors good, not great.

Coda di Rospo: Roasted pancetta wrapped monk fish with rosemary, cannellini beans, red wine sauce, dry kale. Tasty, not fantastic.

Filetto Di Vitello: Porcini powder dusted & sautéed Catelli veal filet medallions, roasted Porcini mushrooms, braised cipollini, Taleggio cheese sauce &veal jus: Very good, not fantastic.

Torta di Cioccolato: dark chocolate torta: pistachio, lime, basil, coconut. Once again, this was good, not great. The basil flavor overwhelmed the rest of the dish.

With regard to service. We have no complaints, although we’ve had far better, more competent service in other high-end restaurants. At this time, Galileo does not have a dedicated Sommelier, and the Manager is serving in that role. A quick look at the wine list left us feeling a bit intimidated as the prices seemed to be starting at well over $100 per bottle and quickly ranging upwards. The manager assured us we could get a bottle far below those prices and, after we described our desire for a medium-bodied red, he brought us a perfect $50 wine (Tenuta Carretta Barbera d’Alba 2005). We did not finish the bottle and we requested to take it with us. Apparently, the restaurant does not yet have the appropriate packaging bags and we were left with the naked bottle to carry out onto the street. I felt a bit awkward standing on the sidewalk waiting for our car to be brought up, holding a half-empty bottle of wine in full view. (I’m not at all sure, but this may even be illegal.

We will certainly return to Galileo and hope for an even better experience.

Three of us had an excellent meal at Galileo III last night. As NQD and I arrived more than 15 minutes early, Chef Donna was at the front door, getting a bit of fresh air. He seemed very happy and enthusiastic about the restaurant, and welcomed us warmly. The staff inside were equally welcoming and gracious, as was his wife. Service was generally quite good, with minor quibbles that can easily be worked out with time - mistakes about who got which dish, unfamiliarity with the cocktail list, etc. Minor stuff, and partially due to having people pitching in who normally don't do service.

I won't bother to repeat descriptions of the food - most of what we had has been talked about already. Nearly uniformly delicious; desserts the only real weak point, and they certainly weren't bad. Someone mentioned undercooked risotto. Ours was not; it was pretty close to perfect. Each grain of rice firm, distinct, slightly al dente, but without a hint of graininess in the center; completely cooked through but not a moment longer. I would have preferred a slightly softer, creamier risotto, but that's personal preference - I believe this was perfect execution of an ideal that's just a tiny bit different from mine.

Cocktails were delicious; a bottle of wine (I don't remember the name) was recommended and thoroughly enjoyed. Overall, a very, very good dinner. No, it wasn't at the same level as our one meal at Laboratorio, but it was probably the best Italian meal I've had since Maestro closed. At $55, a great deal (with alcohol and tax it was a little over $100/person). At the normal price of $89, it would be expensive but absolutely worth it. Two courses (at the normal price of $55) might not be enough food for normal appetites on a normal night; I would recommend three courses at $72 (plus dessert) and a full four courses for big eaters or special occasions.

Experience was very nice, really enjoyed the early evening dinner before the rush. Interesting selection of Italian pop songs filled the room! We found the staff to be gracious, attentive and enthusiastic. The design of the dining room created a bridge between DC and Italy. When you visit, don't forget to look up. There are exquisite Murano glass sculptures. Definitely sit near the kitchen as others have noted, it's a grand view watching the entire restaurant, staff, and kitchen moving in concert.

Budino, budino, budino.

(I think I need to go back and order just that at the bar, frequently, except GF says only on special occasions.)

Capesante. Scallops on top of yellow and black polenta. The polenta was creamy and delicious with the scallops and sauteed lobster mushrooms was a perfect combination.

Porcini. Had to clean the plate get every little bit.

Gianduja Semi Freddo is a hit for sure.

Overall, I think the evening's food was very good and if this is where Chef Donna is starting after the past few years of troubles, it's a good place to be. I hope the management team can keep everything running smoothly and let him shine in the kitchen.

Also, Galileo III without the Lab is good, because I think getting to that level again will take some time as the restaurant works and settles into a rhythm that only comes from time.

Congratulations on the success!

Enough has been said about how good the food is, but enough cannot be said about how gracious the service was on Saturday night. Opening month hiccups and jitters are a part of opening a restaurant, but handling them with the grace and professionalism that the staff at Galileo does is quite special. My wife and I have not been out for a meal in which we were so pampered in a very long time.

Congrats to everyone involved in this venture, I hope that it is a great success for many years to come.

It's no insult to Roberto Donna's powers as a chef to say that, with the opening of Galileo III, for once his cooking is trumped by his business savvy (or at least that of his partners). Offering the $55 four-course dinner special to DonRockwell.com members was a brilliant move to get buzz going about his new venture. After all the bad publicity about his financial dealings and legal troubles, Chef Donna needed to get the attention back on his food. How better to do that than to lure in some of the most knowledgeable eaters in the area who are more than happy to recount their (hopefully positive) experiences to their fellow Rockwellians?

Of course, this shrewd move might come across as cynical or foolish if his kitchen wasn't backing him up. But the utter sincerity of his effort, his overwhelming desire to feed Washingtonians well, shows through in this latest iteration of Galileo. That's not to say that it is yet a perfect effort--the service is still rough in spots, not every dish sings--but it's still a wonderful reminder that we have been much the poorer for his absence.

My SO and I started off with well-made cocktails--he the Cin Cyn, I the Negroni flight. I hope they put the cocktail menu up on the Web site; I want to remind myself what went into each of these three takes on the classic drink. Even served on the rocks, this was a substantial amount of liquor to take in at the beginning of the meal, and after a while, it was hard to distinguish them. But I appreciated that they are offering a style of this drink for different tastes.

From there, the litany of dishes reflects much of what others have reported: my Budino was awesome, but I was less taken with Bob's porcini two-ways (though he suggested it was his favorite dish of the night). The pastas (he the raviolini, I the mezzelune) were stand-outs. The tomato-orange sauce on the mezzelune was simply outstanding--rich with tomato flavor, but the orange notes gave it a distinction I can't recall having in a sauce before. Indeed, I think that perhaps the sauces are Galileo's greatest strength right now; they certainly were what stood out in the fish and meat dishes.

About those main dishes (I had the Filetto di Vitello and Rombo [turbot], Bob the lamb chop and monkfish). These were by no means bad dishes; my bite of Bob's lamb revealed one of the most flavorful--almost sweet--pieces of that meat I have ever tasted. But where the appetizers and the pastas revealed the soul that Donna can bring to his dishes, these courses did not have the same ability to inspire wonder. I think that is because the small portions in this tasting menu are not the right platform to bring out the strengths in each dish. For instance, the caponatina and green olive sauce accompanying the turbot were outstanding, overshadowing the small piece of fish, which came across almost as a slightly overcooked afterthought. My bite of the monkfish came across as similarly attenuated. But I can imagine how much better these dishes could come across in full-sized portions, where the diner could linger over the interplay of components and flavors. They aren't devoid of soul, but these tastings can't quite deliver what the love and commitment the chef clearly intends for them.

But the desserts--particularly the gianduja semi-freddo--reminded us once again of the heights to which Donna can soar. I literally gasped when I tasted the utter silkiness of the semi-freddo--it was possibly the best dessert I have ever had. If Bob's apple crostata was not its equal, the gelato on the side neared the lovely texture of my dish.

They were also extremely smart to put the chef's wife in the front of the house to greet diners and to talk with folks throughout the evening. This was a night of celebrity dining--Michel Richard showed up not long after we were seated to take a place near the kitchen (and to get his dear friend's attention); Antonin Scalia arrived between our third and fourth course and was escorted to a private table upstairs. But despite the presence of these (literal) heavyweights, she helped us feel that we were as important to them as the celebrities. And this helped offset the slightly awkward interplay of waiters, who seemed a bit lost at sea during the early, less busy part of the evening (we arrived at 6 PM), and were not always the best communicators. (Oddly, only the meat dishes were delivered without a brief description of each by the servers).

At this point, Galileo III strikes me as one of the most formidable reentries of a major chef--and a legendary name--into DC dining that I can recall. I hope that as they settle into their new space that they not only iron out some of the kinks and, but also keep up the warmth at the front of the house, and give those main courses the space they need within their "prefix" (!) menus to sing out--and to find continuing shrewd moves like this offer to keep people talking about the food. Truth be told, the only Donna restaurant I ever ate at before this was one of his short-lived ventures on 17th Street, where Il Radicchio used to be (and Komi is now), whose name escapes me. Nevertheless, I had the odd feeling during last night's meal that I--and maybe the DC dining scene--had truly missed having Roberto Donna working near the top of his game. Welcome back.

I wasn't going to do this--was going to resist. But the deal is too good, and the menu too impressive. I have reservations for this Saturday at 5:30. I'm told that they offer "non-gluten pasta" as well. We'll see. I know that in Italian restaurants of this caliber there is no or next-to-no "hidden" gluten in food.

Anyone have comments on their wine program? Details appreciated.

Unfortunately, the only time our NoVA group could all get together and get into DC was Thursday, but due to some large groups at Galileo, we were unable to get a reservation that made sense for us (before 6 or after 8:30). It's really too bad. We were psyched about the great special Chef Donna was offering. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll extend just one more week:-)

Four of us dined at Galileo III on Friday, the 8th. (Apologies for the delay in the post; we've been a little too busy.) Like so many others, we have terrific memories of Galileo I and were filled with, perhaps too much, anticipation. I hesitate to quibble when so many others have obviously had truly great experiences, but our experience was a little more mixed.

To begin, the service was excellent; as friendly as could be. Kudos especially to Nancy for her friendliness throughout the evening and to Giovanni, our waiter, for his knowledge, unfailing cheer, and eagerness to be of assistance.

Some other highlights: The Taglierini Neri All’Aragosta (black taglierini in a lobster cream sauce with a butter poached Maine lobster tail) was excellent; I could eat a lot of that. The Raviolini Del Plin (small ravioli filled with three meats & served in veal jus, butter, and sage) were very good - delicate and flavorful. The Budino di Parmigiano was tasty. We weren't quite transported by it, as others have been, but it was unusual and very good. The Tonno Delle Isole (a lovely mound of chopped tuna, smoked tuna, Bottargaof tuna, and fregola (a couscous like pasta), with a blood orange dressing) earned a "this is very good; wow!" from its primary eater.

More mixed: The house-made breads were very good, if a little short of excellent, as was the herb spread served with them. But the breadsticks were underdone, not at all crispy, and flat-tasting.

The Mezzeluna (small half-moon shaped pasta filled with roasted eggplant and jumbo lump crab with an orange-tomato sauce) was, for me, less than the sum of its parts. The sauce was interesting on first taste, but morphed over time into chopped tomato with a fuzzy citrus overlay. More importantly, the flavors of the eggplant and crab somehow got lost. It sounded like a great combination, but turned out to be bland, or perhaps a little overwhelmed by the sauce. The Capesante (sea scallop with yellow &black polenta) was very, although I think you can get better scallops. The black polenta was very tasty; the yellow polenta was good, but did not quite match up.

The medallions of veal were very good, not fantastic, perhaps, but very enjoyable. (I gather I should have tried the Branzino.) We had a slight glitch when the first delivery of the beef ribeye was dramatically overcooked to the point of mushiness. But a second attempt was excellent. The Aragosta e Calamari (butter poached lobster tail and squid stuffed with cabbage) did not work. It did not help that the lobster was overcooked and rubbery. The cabbage did nothing for the squid, and without help the squid was not at all tasty.

The Panna Cotta was very good, though not better than other good Italian restaurants. The Torta di Cioccolato was also very good, but not great. The apple crostata was a little disappointing, the crust a little soggy, and the flavor a little muddled, although the sorbet was excellent.

One last note: One of our diners was disappointed that there were no leafy type salads on the menu and the kitchen was apparently unable to put one together.

Despite the somewhat mixed review, we'll be back. Many of the dishes were very good to excellent. One of us works around the corner and we'll all be curious to see how it evolves. It was after all, just the first week.

Coming up on a week since we visited and all memories are not as vivid as they were immediately after. But I'll simply echo much of what folks have reported since the restaurant opened. The DonRockwell.com deal was an excellent value. Service was much improved over the horrible service we experienced at our one and only Bebo visit. We used to frequent the Osteria many moons ago and I remember service there being acceptable. Last Friday, the employees at Galileo III were gracious and kind and helpful. No question, there was some fumbling and confusion. But my wife's fear that the service would distract from great food ended up unfounded. Phew.

Some random thoughts on the food...

Started with the Carne Cruda All' Albese. This was a very nice dish. Nor surprisingly, it was very lean meat. The meat flavor was delicate. I jump on most opportunities to eat tartare and most often come across raw beef. The veal was a nice change. Lightly dressed with good acid, it was balanced and earthy. A fine way to start.

I tasted one bite of my wife's Capesante and thought that was the dish of the evening. The scallop was really sweet and tasted like the ideal scallop. I wished I could've eaten more of that dish. Accompaniments didn't stand out as amazing or otherwise, but I remember enjoying the polentas' creaminess and remember just loving this dish.

The Budino was fine. Not as mind blowing as I anticipated. I seize any chance for truffles and the generous shaving was decadent and wonderful. My main complaint is about the dish's temperature. I don't know what temperature it is supposed to be served, but it was just barely warm for us. For some reason, I wanted this dish to be hotter. Maybe I fantasized it would be even 'melty-er' at a higher temp.

I moved on to the Taglierini and thoroughly enjoyed it. The lobster was undercooked, so a little mushier and stringier than I wanted. I wanted the lobster to be springy and firm the whole way through. I lean towards eating most things as raw as someone is willing to cook them, but the lobster needed a little more heat. Flavors, though, were excellent. This was a very rich dish, but portioned correctly for my taste. I also appreciated how the pasta's starch kept the strands touching. That made handling the dish with my fork orderly and easy.

I finished the savories with the Agnello Al Forno. I was looking forward to more near raw meat, as the waiter asked how done I wanted the lamb cooked. He said they usually cook to med-rare and I asked if they wouldn't mind doing closer to rare. Well...the meat came out on the verge of med-well. Thinking that was going to be a strike against the dish, I took my first bite. Turns out, there was enough flavor to the meat and elsewhere on the plate that it didn't matter. Just to be open and honest, I did mention the issue to our waiter and another individual who stopped by after sensing something was amiss. Each wanted to have the dish re-cooked. But I assured each that, though the temp was off, the dish was so darn good I was more than happy to finish it as it was.

My dessert was Gianduja Semo Freddo. Flavors were a kaleidoscope of some of my favorite sweet flavors. A little rum, a little banana, a lot of hazelnut, some coffee...it all interplayed very well.

Beverages included a negroni (quite good), a phenomenal $55 Aglianico that was one of the best wine values I've had in a while, and a grappa Chris recommended.

Final conclusion is that it wasn't a perfect evening, but that it was excellent. Again, the value was certainly there (thanks Don and Roberto) and the kinks we saw seemed easily attributable to the restaurant's new-ness.

Edited by jfw

...You can make reservation at night up to this coming Saturday up to 4 people under the name of DonRockwell and you will be able to order the four courses plus dessert for $ 55.00 a person...

Headed there tonight at 7pm. Question though...does "Four Courses + Dessert" mean four courses including dessert or four savory courses and then dessert? It seems as though people are describing 2 apps, 1 entree and 1 dessert for the most part, but the description on the website and the description from Chef Donna above seems to say otherwise.

Headed there tonight at 7pm. Question though...does "Four Courses + Dessert" mean four courses including dessert or four savory courses and then dessert? It seems as though people are describing 2 apps, 1 entree and 1 dessert for the most part, but the description on the website and the description from Chef Donna above seems to say otherwise.

It's 4 savory courses and a dessert. And technically, if your stomach can handle it, you could get 4 entrees.

-A report from last Saturday night's dinner which was not a great experience. I made a DR phone res on Wednesday or Thursday for 4 and gave my phone

number. I called back on Friday to request table 23 and was told by the receptionist that the tables were not yet assigned but she would put a notation in my reservation for my request. When we arrived on Saturday at 7:30, they could not find a record of my reservation( they are still using a paper and pencil note system) and while the response was quick- apologies made, Proseco proffered and a table set up- not table 23 of course but the table next to the "bus" station. The table was not intended to be used that night with good reason since my husband was constantly bumped by the wait staff all throughout our long dinner. Long story short- the kitchen was totally overwhelmed- restaurant was full and with a private party upstairs and a kitchen not able to handle the orders. We were served about one course an hour with apologies offered every 15 minutes or so by the manager, the wait staff and Roberto's wife. As a result of the bogged down kitchen, the food that was brought to the table was often not hot and we were brought the wrong food more than once. The folks at the next table ( full freighters) were losing patience quickly and complaining-- they were served the wrong main course but in reality asking for the correct plate would have resulted in another hour's wait. On the upside, we got to meet and commiserate with them .

How was the food? Can the dining experience not be colored by the service and kitchen problems? By the way- the four courses can be any 4 items on the menu- 4 desserts- 4 mains or any combination which suits your mood.

Dessert was delicious- the Gianduia semi -freddo and chocolate torte - I found the torte and the accompanying basil and coconut gelati to be wonderful..

The risotto- again barely warm and I love Donnna's risotto- just not last Saturday night.

The veal medallions were wonderful, the lamb was good but lukewarm. and barely a bite of food.

The taglierini with lobster was good but mine was not hot but my friend's dish was piping hot.

The bread was ok- and was all we had to eat for nearly an hour- butt he bread sticks were soft not crispy- maybe a style I do not recognize.

My friend ordered the ravioli with 3 meats but was brought another dish that was lukewarm and cheesy- but not what she had ordered and not very special. The budino was lukewarm and frankly, gloppy. I am not sure what the consistency was supposed to be but from the rave reviews I read, I must conclude that mine was just not served at its best.

The manager came to ask for our "honest" feedback about the food and it was given. Our waiter waived the corkage fee as a gesture of apology. One of the biggest problems of the evening was that although the amount of food in its entirety was plenty to eat, the portions are small and if served at the rate of one dish an hour, one tends to eat the dish rather quickly and then there is the hour wait for the next taste.

I do recognize that I went to a restaurant that was open for less than a week- (although not by some newbie chef ) and there was the complication of a full house, some large tables, plus a private IMF party plus the DR offer which resulted in many more 4 course meals needing to be cooked than would probably be ordered an a regular night. And it was fun to watch the kitchen, although it was clearly in trouble for the entire time we were there. If this were a blind tasting of food- without the "Donna halo", I would rate the food with a 'B or B+ for potential but he whole evening as C for the experience and execution.. If the same meal will be offered for $89, I think that would be a lot to pay.

I would suggest going really early for dinner if folks want to get a good service experience or just wait a bit until the wrinkles are ironed out.

...I do recognize that I went to a restaurant that was open for less than a week- (although not by some newbie chef ) and there was the complication of a full house, some large tables, plus a private IMF party plus the DR offer which resulted in many more 4 course meals needing to be cooked than would probably be ordered an a regular night. ...

That is no excuse. They offered the special deal, took the reservations, and they booked the parties so they should be prepared to handle the load without a problem.

Escoffier and I came here again last night to celebrate our 10th anniversary with friends. The service was impeccable and the dishes were excellent.

We did our usual "Feed us" order that we don't know what is coming for us. Jameson, who joined us first time, was willing to follow our way and enjoyed a lot. We all had Prosecco provided by Nancy and the same amuse bouche (Carne Cruda). The four courses and a dessert after that, wow, I couldn't eat all of them. Chef Donna, please pardon me that I couldn't finish your dishes because of my small-sized stomach. I had a greatest agony between my tongue and stomach last night. Antonio served me Tuna Tartar, Chestnut soup, Branzino, Filetto Di Vitello and gelato(not semi freddo) with paired wines. All of them were excellent.

I loved the blood orange flavour from the Tuna tartar. The earthy flavour from the Chestnut Soup soothed me at the first taste. Branzino was melting in my mouth. Filetto Di Vitelo was very impressive because it is not just a simple steak. It was sauteed so there was no burned mark and the meat with veal jus was melting.

Nancy is the most wonderful and sweetest hostess I've ever seen. I think Chef Donna is a lucky man because he is a one of a most talented chef and has a devoted wife. I truly wish his business flourish.

That is no excuse. They offered the special deal, took the reservations, and they booked the parties so they should be prepared to handle the load without a problem.

I'd be inclined to give Galileo a pass on this. Within the first 10 days of being open, many things could happen that could cause a system crash. If the IMF party showed up 1/2 early, or late, that could torpedo everything. Now, if we consistently hear about the same issues on day 100, then maybe there should be cause for concern.

This doesn't negate any of Naxos experiences. If it was me, I would be disappointed as well. But the restaurant did offer to make amends (waiving charges), and it's too early to tell if this is an institutional issue, or just a bad night.

My husband and i went for dinner last night and unfortunately I have to echo much of what Naxos reported above about their Saturday night experience. We arrived a few minutes early for our 8:15 reservation and were told with apologies that our table was not yet ready. We moved to the bar and ordered glasses of wine and enjoyed the opportunity to chat with Chris and study the menu. I really didn't want more than one pre-dinner drink so eventually we moved away and waited on the banquette near the door.

We finally were seated at 9:10 and then waited another 10 minutes for our waiter to take our order. Once again, there was a private party going on upstairs and the wait staff seemed harried. When we were brought the wrong wine (other than the one we'd ordered and seemingly challenged about that by the waiter), my husband began to get irritated which cast a pall over the evening. Luckily our first courses of Capesante and Carne Cruda arrived and were delicious. Those were followed by Budino for me and Raviolini del Plin for my husband. This was the highlight of the meal for him. Things went a bit awry then when we were next served our main courses. I had the Rombo which I liked a lot although the Caponitina green olive sauce is almost too strong for the fish. My husband loves Branzino but felt this rendition was over-cooked. At this point, with more apologies, they realized they'd skipped ahead and not served our other starter courses, which were brought in due course. I liked my Agnolotti but my husband's Risotto with Gorgonzola was only lukewarm and overpowered by the cheese. Desserts - Torta di Cioccolatta and Gianduja Semi Freddo - were outstanding.

I do appreciate the fact that this restaurant is still in its opening days and we were taking advantage of a very generous special offer. But, we came away mostly unhappy with the experience. Probably the suggestions to get an early reservation time, or wait a while for the wrinkles to be ironed out, are good ones.

Le nostre belle stelle must have been shining upon us as everything clicked tonight at G3 for our DR special ... we even found a parking space around the corner AND despite the traffic got there exactly on time! We didn't encounter any of the mishaps that befell some of the other commentators. Even with the dreaded "private party upstairs," we were seated immediately, the timing of service from the kitchen was excellent, food temps were spot on, and precision prevailed over chaos in the end. Our only quibble was the noise level was at "must raise your voice to be heard," although that improved after the crowd thinned out (place was nearly full at 8:30).

Onto the food (leaving ingredient breakdowns out as many dishes have been described in previous posts .... the dinner menu can be found at http://www.galileorestaurant.com/downloads%5Cg3_menu_dinner.pdf ). For 2 persons:

Budino di Parmigiano -- A must for those who like truffle-mushroom flavors. The cheese and cream made it pleasingly unctuous (in the savory good sense), though not quite pudding-like. Regarding questions raised above about the intended serving temperature, mine was hot and that seemed like how it was meant to be.

Tonno delle Isole -- Nice tuna flavor, made interestingly complex by the 3 forms of tuna. The fregola (a pasta of Sardinian origin, small couscous-sized balls made from semolina that are coarser and rougher than couscous, usually toasted, though not sure these were) were slightly doughy, which distracted slightly from the tuna.

Porcini -- Though described as "two ways," it's not really two separate preparations. It's more like a disc shaped sauteed cheese & mushroom stem filled large fritter with sliced mushroom cap, garlic, parsley, & truffle sauce on top. The tasty cheese and mushroom flavors are clear and strong.

Ravioli Verdi alla Fonduta -- If you like that butter-sage flavor on your ravioli, this is for you. The cheese has a much more subtle presence than in the Porcini dish. The pasta of the ravioli was tender with mild flavor.

Mezzelune di Melanzane e Granchi -- The tomato orange sauce was the standout in this dish ... we're going to have to (try to) make this sauce at home! The flavors of the pasta and fillings were fairly low key here.

Taglierini Neri All'Aragosta -- All the elements sang in harmony in this one tonight! The pasta was tender with that ineffable flavor the ink brings to it on ocassion, the lobster was cooked just right and luscious, the sauce was nicely balanced in seasoning and flavors.

Branzino -- A showcase for the simplicity of Italian fish cooking ... a whole fresh fish, fresh herbs, a few veggies, dash of good olive oil cooked in its own juices sealed in foil (rather than parchment or paper in this case). You end up with a moist, tender, delicious piece of fish on your plate. And the $8 surcharge (which doesn't appear on the menu on the G3 web site BTW) wasn't applied to the DR special. What could be better?

Aragosta e Calamari -- The lobster was cooked just the right side of being underdone, which worked for us. The squid was tender and the cabbage filling pleasantly surprised. The polenta contributed a nice creaminess just when it was needed.

Gianduja Semifreddo -- As a lover of the gianduja flavor, couldn't pass this up. Wasn't disappointed. Really liked the toasted hazelnuts in it. If you can imagine a gianduja meter measuring strength and purity of the gianduja flavor, with Nutella being a 1 on the low end and a gianduja candy made by a top of the line cioccolataio from Torino being a 10. I'd rate this a 6.

Zuppa di Gorgonzola -- Had a feeling a blue cheese soup (gorgonzola, pepper, celery in a desert??) wouldn't garner many orders (waiter confirmed ... our was 2nd order so far), but feeling lucky we were ready to roll the desert dice ... and it came up a natural 7! Although the menu listed pear and red wine, we think fig and port was in it tonight and it clicked. This one was a revelatory Wow!! If the chocolate tort, panna cotta, and apple crostata seem ho-hum, give this a try.

In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered, liking the taste of everything we had. The service was excellent and we could tell the staff was making an effort to please and make it work (perhaps some of the previous comments put a fire under 'em). Having eaten at G1, G2, and Laboratorio, I'd say this meal was equal to G1 and G2 on their better days, although not quite up to Laboratorio (which I wasn't expecting ... our last time at Laboratorio was one of the best meals we've had in DC).

Budino di Parmigiano -- A must for those who like truffle-mushroom flavors. The cheese and cream made it pleasingly unctuous (in the savory good sense), though not quite pudding-like. Regarding questions raised above about the intended serving temperature, mine was hot and that seemed like how it was meant to be.

Zuppa di Gorgonzola -- Had a feeling a blue cheese soup (gorgonzola, pepper, celery in a desert??) wouldn't garner many orders (waiter confirmed ... our was 2nd order so far), but feeling lucky we were ready to roll the desert dice ... and it came up a natural 7! Although the menu listed pear and red wine, we think fig and port was in it tonight and it clicked. This one was a revelatory Wow!! If the chocolate tort, panna cotta, and apple crostata seem ho-hum, give this a try.

To add comments from our dinner last night, agreed that the Budino is supposed to be hot (ours was, and was thus very good). Also, we wanted to try to Zuppa, but our waiter adamantly recommended the Gianduja Semi Freddo and we felt bad not ordering it. While it was certainly good, I do have a bit of regret not trying the Zuppa. And was not told that the Branzino didn't have the +$8 for the DR special! We would have gotten it if that was the case. Alas.

G3 was very gracious in accommodating our tardiness (+1 had trouble getting away from work, so we were around 7:15 for our 7:00 reservation) and we were seated immediately. Service was certainly slow (a few minutes before getting menus, didn't order food until closer to 7:45 and left around 9:30), but it was more or less a pleasantly paced dinner. Our waiter seemed to struggle slightly with some of his English, but he was very friendly and helpful, and we had managers stop by numerous times throughout the evening to ensure everything was going well.

The great:

Budino Di Parmigiano - just the right serving size for such a rich and creamy dish. There wasn't an overwhelming truffle flavor, but the texture of the pudding with the creaminess of the Burrata were really very good, and I don't think I've had anything like it before.

Capesante - I believe I read someone saying they only got one scallop with this dish, but we had two, which were both seared perfectly and balanced nicely with the creamy polenta.

The very good:

Taglierini Neri All'Aragosta - This is a generous serving of lobster tail, which was well-cooked, and the black taglierini was so fresh and delicate.

Risotto - Different from what is listed on the online menu, the risotto last night was flavored with Gorgonzola and something else I am forgetting. Despite being slightly more al dente than I would prefer, the flavor was spot on.

Filetto di Vitello - It's quite rare that I order veal, but for some reason I was drawn to it last night and it didn't disappoint. Two medallions with mushrooms and a cipollini to accompany. It could have used a bit more sauce, but was quite tasty and tender.

Crostada di Mele - I didn't have high expectations for this dessert, but it ended up being our favorite dessert of the two. The caramel gelato served alongside was amazing, and I wouldn't mind having a whole pint of that in my freezer at home!

The good:

The bread plate - Although I dislike olives and did not love those slices of bread, I enjoyed everything else on the plate. The breadsticks were crispy and flavorful, the herb spread was a nice change from butter (although we were slightly surprised not to be offered olive oil), but my favorite was the nutty multi-grain slices. I was tempted to ask for more of that, but with 5 courses of food looming I thought better.

Coda di Raspo - This pancetta wrapped monkfish was a bit on the dry side, but was still decent. However, my favorite part of the dish was the cannelloni beans that had absorbed much of the delicious red wine sauce on the plate.

Gianduja Semifreddo - After being talked up by our server we ended up with this, and while it was quite good, it wasn't anything special to me.

The somewhat disappointing:

Ravioli Verdi alla Fonduta - This was praised so effusively above, I perhaps had too high of expectations, but I couldn't really taste the cheese or the sage in this dish (unless eating one of the sage leaves). The pasta was obviously very fresh, but the dish tasted primarily of butter.

Mezzelune di Melanzane e Granchi - I think this is mostly a personal preference, but I didn't really care for the orange flavor in the sauce. I also couldn't really taste the eggplant or lobster in the pasta since the citrus was a bit overwhelming. That being said, the +1 enjoyed it more than I did.

Overall we really enjoyed our dinner at the new Galileo, but I can't say we'll rush back. It was certainly great to be able to indulge in such a generous offer from Chef Donna (1 bottle of sparkling wine, 1 bottle of white wine and 2 5-course dinners for around $175 before tax and tip?!), but I think I would have a hard time spending $55 for 3 courses here. I will say that although the wine list isn't extensive, there are very affordable bottles available.

The bread plate - The breadsticks were crispy and flavorful, the herb spread was a nice change from butter (although we were slightly surprised not to be offered olive oil), but my favorite was the nutty multi-grain slices.

Ravioli Verdi alla Fonduta - This was praised so effusively above, I perhaps had too high of expectations, but I couldn't really taste the cheese or the sage in this dish (unless eating one of the sage leaves). The pasta was obviously very fresh, but the dish tasted primarily of butter.

Mezzelune di Melanzane e Granchi - I think this is mostly a personal preference, but I didn't really care for the orange flavor in the sauce. I also couldn't really taste the eggplant or lobster in the pasta since the citrus was a bit overwhelming. That being said, the +1 enjoyed it more than I did.

I liked the nutty bread the most too, but we didn't get any breadsticks! Roberto, dove i miei grissini? Che peccato!

I agree this ravioli dish could be improved by better balancing the sage, butter, cheese flavors.

Also agree the eggplant and lobster in the mezzelune were more mild in comparison to the sauce, however, we really liked the flavor of the sauce so we didn't mind as much. I generally find "luxury" fillings (e.g., lobster, crab, etc.) in ravioli often don't stand out much, so it's not worth the extra cost that usually goes with it.

Those pix are from 3 people dining. Three people x 4 courses=12 dishes and if everyone orders something different, that's a good bit of the menu (and some great dining). There were two of us for dinner on Friday night and we had 8 different courses plus two different desserts. Don't worry, you will get way more than your money's worth. Chef Donna and Galileo III would be worth it if it were only two courses.

Nope, the pictures on my blog are from just two of us dining. We thought the four courses included dessert and partway through our first course, Roberto came out of the kitchen to tell us we still needed to order one more course! So the special was four courses PLUS dessert.