Seventh Hill Pizza (2009-2020), Wood-Burning Oven Pizza on Southeast Capitol Hill

I like the expanded space with the additional seating. It feels much roomier, and I imagine a window will open it up even more.

In honor of the changes, I ordered a sandwich for the first time, the Spicy Tuna spicy tuna salad, mayo, avocado, tomato, arugula. "Spicy" is an accurate description. As with anything I've ordered here, the combination of ingredients was well-chosen. The spicy tuna and the peppery arugula are balanced by the relative mildness of the other ingredients. The pita-like pizza dough bread is good bread in its own right and has no problem holding up to the ingredients, including the second half of the sandwich that sat in the refrigerator overnight. It's a good value for $7.50.

It's always so tempting to order pizza here that it took me a long time to come around to the sandwiches. While I find it too cumbersome to carry a pizza all the way home, the sandwiches are perfect for carry-out :) .

Just a quick note, even post Anthony the pizza here is really good. I haven't noticed a big change in the crust, and the specials remain top notch. There are few places I'd rather spend time on a Sunday afternoon, sitting at the bar, enjoying a glass of beer and a great pizza.

Just a quick note, even post Anthony the pizza here is really good. I haven't noticed a big change in the crust, and the specials remain top notch. There are few places I'd rather spend time on a Sunday afternoon, sitting at the bar, enjoying a glass of beer and a great pizza.

Good to hear - any word on who's slinging the dough these days?

Stopped in for dinner tonight before the Nats game, my first trip since the remodel and Anthony's departure. The pizza is still as great as I remember it - honestly, if I didn't know Anthony had left, I wouldn't have thought anything had changed with the staffing.

One crucial change: the addition of a Happy Hour from 5 to 6:30 on weekdays (as well as 4:30-6:30 on weekends I believe, but don't quote me on that). $5 8" Garfield Park cheese pizzas and $3.50 draft Yuenglings. And yes, they will let you add toppings to the discounted pie - I had wanted the basic neapolitan (the Capitol Hill), but was encouraged to instead order the happy hour pie and add basil for an extra $1.

I'd have gone back anyways, but the happy hour probably means that Seventh Hill will become a regular stop on game days for me.

I don't know about the pizzaiolo changes, but I think this place is great. Elegantly simple. I've made a couple stops here post-museums with kids. Highlight for me was a soup (though the pizza is very good). Big bowl of chorizo, tomato and pepper all pureed and a huge piece of pizza dough to go with it. Good beer selection as well in bottles, and they just added a tap. The tap I regret to report is Yuengling. Oh well.

It's nice to load up on pizza and then stop next door to Peregrine for a coffee. Takes the edge off of fighting the tourists at the Smithsonian.

They gave me good advice on what beer to get while I waited for my pizza to go, but the pizza was very disappointing.  They were being hammered by an endless stream of families out for dinner, but, really, this was bad. The crust on the one side was mostly raw.  I should know better than to go here on a Friday night.

I guess the good news is that the pizza improved by being thrown on a hot stone in my home oven, but geez.  This was the special for $19.95:  olive oil, beech mushroom, fontina, fennel, sausage, parmesan, tomatoes.  It was, however, not special in any other sense of the word.

I'll be testing out the tuna sandwich tomorrow.  I've never had any problem with that at all, and I hope that continues.

[Edited to be a little more diplomatic and precise.]

I went once after Anthony left and I can't see myself going back unless there is a significant change at the oven.

Speaking of, since it sounds like Anthony is kind of (and has been for a while) in between jobs, why not rekindle the relationship?  I always thought this was the perfect place for someone like him, a guy who wanted to be near the oven to oversee everything but interact with the customers at the same time, which is exactly what that counter allows for. More than likely not to happen, but one can hope for the type of quality that he was putting out there 2-3 years ago to resurface....

Anthony isn't in between jobs, as far as I know; he's a business developer and culinary director for an importer of pizza ovens. He told me awhile back that he wanted to get more into the business side of things, and he left Seventh Hill in part because there was no way he would be given any sort of partnership. (And the last I saw him, he looked much healthier than he did toward the end of his run at Seventh Hill.)

It's been awhile since I had a pizza there, but the last one I had showed little if any drop-off in quality, so perhaps the issue is more consistency, particularly when the place is slammed, or who's in charge of the oven on any given night. And I suppose it's a business calculation as to whether they need a pizziaolo like Pilla at this point if they feel they have the basics right. Your post suggests perhaps they don't have them together as much as they should.

It's been awhile since I had a pizza there, but the last one I had showed little if any drop-off in quality, so perhaps the issue is more consistency, particularly when the place is slammed, or who's in charge of the oven on any given night. And I suppose it's a business calculation as to whether they need a pizziaolo like Pilla at this point if they feel they have the basics right. Your post suggests perhaps they don't have them together as much as they should.

This is the first time I've had any complaint about a pizza from here.  In fact, people I've mentioned it to were surprised.  One even said that the specials are usually especially good.  (I don't think I've ordered a special before.)

Even the part of the pizza that appeared to have a decent char still did not have the right cooked consistency after being reheated the next day on a hot pizza stone. It was flabby and just...not right.  The piece I ate cold that day was worse. Maybe it was a bad batch of dough?

The tuna sandwich, eaten a day after purchase, was as good as or better than any I've had from there.  No drop off in quality and the bread/crust on that was fine, just like it normally is.

All I'd eaten all day was the last of the Chinese food from our Sunday Peking Duck meal.  I was starving and went to the original 7th Hill to get pizza.  I ordered the Garfield Park 8" pizza they've been advertising for happy hour at $5.  Tomato and mozzarella on that nice thin crust.  I can't believe how quickly I ate the entire thing.  I still can't believe I ate the whole thing, though no need for Alka-Seltzer ;) .

Also, having taken note of Don's approach, I ordered a spicy tuna sandwich to go, to have for tomorrow.  My very favorite sandwich.

I was a bit confused about the beers.  They've had signs outside about $3.50 Yuengling drafts, which they apparently ran out of.  They had a Shock Top draft for $3.50 and $4.50 cans, described as being on the wooden shelf behind the bar.  The cans are all clustered together over two shelves, and I didn't notice that the shelf I ordered the DC Brau Public from was non-wooden, so it was $6.50.  The beer was great, but caveat emptor on the wooden shelf thing

I stopped in to get one of the tuna sandwiches I love and was taken by the pizza listed on the specials board. What grabbed me was the meatballs, but the beech mushrooms, baby arugula, and tallegio looked good.  I think there's also mozzarella.  I ate a slice (or two) at the restaurant and brought the rest home.  At about $20, it was kind of pricey.  It was good.

But there were no meatballs.  I was thinking of the Matchbox pizzas that have half meatballs on them.  This had smushed up meat stuff that may have originally been meatballs.  I was somewhat disappointed. Why call it meatballs if it's little meat bits?

• Like 2

Back to the tried and true last night. I really, really did not feel like making dinner. I almost ordered from Doordash, but there were so many options, I couldn't figure out what I wanted. Instead I headed over to 7th Hill and got 2 sandwiches for our dinner, one of the tuna and one of the turkey. That way we could each have half of each. I ate my turkey half last night and kept the tuna for today. 

I had never ordered the soup of the day here, but my husband is getting over a cold and I thought he'd like some soup. It was smoked paprika tomato  soup. Several people sampled and then ordered it while I was there. I hadn't known to ask for a sample, so I never did taste any. My husband enjoyed it.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, jandres374 said:

The Palisades location has been sold. Drove by last night and saw a new name on windows but couldn't make it out completely.

"Seventh Hill Pizza in the Palisades Has New Owners" on popville.com

Jan 22, 2020 - "Wood-Fired Pizza Joint Del Popolo Replaces Seventh Hill Pizza on the Vern" by Lia DeGroot on gwhatchet.com

At this date, Del Popolo is closed for in-house dining, but remains open for carryout.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 22.50.38.png

[I'll split this into another thread.]

On 5/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, Pat said:

Might as well post it here too. Closing permanently, along with Montmartre.

Such a shame.  Great people, excellent pizza, and the veggie sandwich was probably our favorite sandwich in the neighborhood.  I'm sure they'd be doing a lot of business with so many folks needing takeout while at home on the Hill during the pandemic too, but can see where they might feel like this is the right time to stop.