Bell's Beers

vinist

Had a Bells Two Hearted Ale someplace recently with dinner and still like it a lot. Certainly better than the Hopslam I bought this year for a significant premium. Had a glass of Green Flash IPA at the lost dog Friday (spent the day in the Westover library as it had heat and wireless internet and we had no power at home). Really like that beer as well.

Don't know for sure, but there's a reason that places like the Lost Dog and Westover Market can sell hundreds of different beers and I assume that means not everyone likes the same thing. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is certainly top tier for me.

ChurchKey is tapping what they claim is the only cask of HopSlam on the East Coast tonight (2/1) at 4:00.

I'm having a glass right now. The bartender says he expects it to last for about another hour, so come on down quickly if you want a taste. This is the first time I've has it this year, but it's less intensely hoppy than I remember it being (from bottle) last year (though still delicious).

I'm having a glass right now. The bartender says he expects it to last for about another hour, so come on down quickly if you want a taste. This is the first time I've has it this year, but it's less intensely hoppy than I remember it being (from bottle) last year (though still delicious).

AND...it's gone.

By and large, I think the beers suffer from "Dogfish Disease"--a little extra weight/extract for the stated style. But Oarsmen is delicious (and there's not a lot of light sour beer out there at any price), Cherry Stout is well done in the style, and Two Hearted holds its alcohol pretty well.

Dogfish head disease to me is looking for obscure ingredients and then plopping them on top of some mediocre protobeer. Next time somebody tells you Palo Santo Marron is good ask them how many times they've had it and if they would order it tonight (at a bar with a large selection of other brews). DFH still makes good beers; aka why the fuck can't I get 75 minute IPA anywhere??

Bells is all about Oberon and their stouts for me, Kalamazoo and Expedition. Expedition is more to my style but it is a beast. I also love the mini-keg of Oberon, it really does taste like summer.

Dogfish head disease to me is looking for obscure ingredients and then plopping them on top of some mediocre protobeer.

Dogfish's other disease, I agree.

Next time somebody tells you Palo Santo Marron is good ask them how many times they've had it and if they would order it tonight (at a bar with a large selection of other brews).

About ten. Would order it if I could order a small pour. I don't like to drink 12oz of any beer that strong.

DFH still makes good beers; aka why the fuck can't I get 75 minute IPA anywhere??

Except for one-offs, this is only offered at their brewhouses--it's half draft 60-minute and half draft 90-minute. Not many other bars stock both. I agree it is my favorite thing to drink at a DFH brewhouse.

Bells is all about Oberon and their stouts for me, Kalamazoo and Expedition. Expedition is more to my style but it is a beast. I also love the mini-keg of Oberon, it really does taste like summer.

I think Oberon is the best example of Bell's issue. It's not a summer beer to me--too thick, not refreshing enough.

I think Oberon is the best example of Bell's issue. It's not a summer beer to me--too thick, not refreshing enough.

Funny. I think it's the inconsistency of either tapping or temperature that has caused the thickness. I feel like I've had glasses where it was perfectly light and refreshing on a hot summer's day and others where I felt like I just drank a carb smoothie.

This thread was started in 2006, over four years ago - does anyone really believe Bell's is still a phenomenal brewery?

I don't know about phenomenal, but I think Bell's is a top tier brewery for "everyday brews". I always have some of their product in my fridge and rarely does a day go by when I don't grab a bottle to enjoy while cooking, watching TV, etc. Oberon, Two Hearted Ale, Best Brown, and Winter White are my favorites (I don't get the hate for the latter - it's damn hard to find a good tasting low alcohol beer).

Has the quality of Bell's beers really suffered in the past several years? (not a rhetorical question since I'm a Johnny-come-lately to Bell's). Or is it possible that the increased media exposure and overall availability has turned a cool discovery into something that every Tom Dick and Harry is drinking? Sort of like when the hipster music freaks abandoned The Arcade Fire for being too popular and getting Grammy noms?

Funny. I think it's the inconsistency of either tapping or temperature that has caused the thickness. I feel like I've had glasses where it was perfectly light and refreshing on a hot summer's day and others where I felt like I just drank a carb smoothie.

I do occasionally get a weird broccoli aftertaste so maybe that's part of the inconsistency too.

Except for one-offs, this is only offered at their brewhouses--it's half draft 60-minute and half draft 90-minute. Not many other bars stock both. I agree it is my favorite thing to drink at a DFH brewhouse.

Weren't you the one that suggested they make pint glasses with markings so you could make your own 75 minute, or 65 minute, or 80 minute, based off proportion? I still love that idea.

(For what it's worth, when I lived with my brother we had 24 ounce beer mugs, so I'd make my own 75s at home, usually while smoking a cigar. It helped that we usually had 60 minute IPA in the kegerator.)

Back to the topic:

and Winter White are my favorites (I don't get the hate for the latter - it's damn hard to find a good tasting low alcohol beer).

My hate for the Winter White comes not from the fact that it's low alcohol, but rather I've never had a good tasting pint of it!

It didn't help getting it at Galaxy Hut last winter and having it look exactly...like...milk in the glass. It was actually kind of disgusting.

That's the only beer of Bell's that I just won't bother with after last winter and this winter. Ahhh, what am I saying? I'll probably try it again next winter just in case it stops sucking or something.

(PS - I love the Palo Santo Marron!)

I had friends visiting SF last weekend, and a couple of them asked me if I wanted them to bring anything in their checked baggage.

The answer: Bell's Two-Hearted.

The result: 12 bottles of pure gold. I have missed this beer so much.

I had friends visiting SF last weekend, and a couple of them asked me if I wanted them to bring anything in their checked baggage.

The answer: Bell's Two-Hearted.

The result: 12 bottles of pure gold. I have missed this beer so much.

Agreed. In my humble opinion, it's their best beer, by far. I like some of their other offerings, but the Two-hearted is "pure gold."

I have a case of Hopslam if anyone is interested. Would prefer to sell the entire case, as opposed to 6 packs. I bought 2 cases in Ohio this past weekend (because I could) and don't need it. Paid $19 a six pack, so the total is $75

Pick-up in Downtown Dc or Fairfax (by George Mason). PM me.

Randomly stumbled upon Hopslam twice this year - once at a random Giant in Leesburg - cans for $20.  Again at the Whole Foods in Ashburn on draft.

These were weeks apart so take the reaction with a grain of salt, but I preferred the cans.  The beer was well balanced - the honey flavor that shone through at the finish may have been just a bit too much for some, but I really enjoyed it.  The draft tasted like any other IPA - granted, a good IPA, but nothing noteworthy.

22 hours ago, Kev29 said:

Two-Hearted is a national treasure. 

Thank you for your time. 

20 hours ago, B.A.R. said:

#FakeNews

K & B,

I know your messages were written in good humor, but since I respect both of your palates, I'm hoping you can evaluate the finish of Two Hearted Ale.

It has a nice golden color, a pine-and-citrus nose, an aggressively hopped mid-palate, and then ... ?

(I understand you'll need to have one and ponder it before answering, so no rush.)

Cheers,
Rocks

I've never had a problem with the finish. Obviously serving conditions are important but I've enjoyed pretty much every one I've had. 

Related: Churchkey had Two-Hearted on cask once and I honestly think it was the best glass of beer I've ever had. I love hoppy American ales on cask if they're well made. You get the hop notes without the C02 upping the sting. A mellower finish. Don if I ever see it on cask there again, I'll alert you. 

• Thanks 1