"The end of the star system" might simply mean differentiation such as

a. A half star which many papers and guides use, i.e. **1/2, ***1/2 with ****

representing the top.

b. Numerical scores such as Gayot and Gault Millau use within their system of

1 to 4 toques. Although this is in German it expresses it very well:

http://all.gmserver.de/ar/rs/kriterien_6FC...8C889069FCF.htm

Just a guess on my part. Using this Charleston may have rated a strong three, i.e. ***1/2 or 17 points (out of 20).

Man, complainers are out in force today! RE: the Hank's Chairgate:

I am not a "whining diner" that complains about every aspect of a meal

This opening statement is the most surefire predictor that what follows will be in complete contradiction

We were two people at a four top, with my purse on one chair and expecting a friend to join us for coffee maybe later.

You are sitting outside on a beautiful night in a restaurant that hasn't stopped jumpin' since they opened, lucky to get a 4 top for a deuce, and you have chairs reserved for you hypothetical future coffee drinker and your handbag?!? (And just for fun I'm trying to picture this poster in my mind's eye and am imagining that this bag costs more than my monthly rent)

Am I being too thin-skinned (a bit thin skinned, I'll admit)

Tissue paper thin. Butterfly wing thin. Film-on-a-soap-bubble thin.

And I apologize it this was any of you fine Rockwellians, but I'm having a crappy start to the day and knowing that people like this are out there makes me feel better about myself ...

I also thought the Hanks "chairgate" complainer was way over the top. And her comments to the waiter were so obnoxious!!! Plus, her plans for the extra chair demonstrated serious inconsideration for her fellow diners.

I'm all for customer service, but this "transgression" didn't rise to the level that she took it to.

I also thought the Hanks "chairgate" complainer was way over the top.  And her comments to the waiter were so obnoxious!!!  Plus, her plans for the extra chair demonstrated serious inconsideration for her fellow diners.

I'm all for customer service, but this "transgression" didn't rise to the level that she took it to.

As I read it, I was expecting the purse to go flying off the chair and spill all over the sidewalk. Apparently that didn't happen. I guess the purse was on a different chair. As it was, he probably should have made eye contact of some sort before taking the chair, but I don't see why that's important enough to merit the mention.

Washington, D.C.: Tom,

I'm in a bind. I have to take a group of clients who are hopeless lotharios out for happy hour this afternoon. I'm crazy busy at work today and won't have time for lunch. So I need a strip club that has decent food. Any suggestions? Must be all nude.

Thanks in advance.

I particularly like the last caveat.

Rosslyn, Va.: Tom, this is the fourth week in a row that I am submitting in a row but you are not posting my question. If you don't have the answer, please throw this one to the readers. I am looking for a store called "Pain Quotidien". It's a Belgian place with many chains in New York city. Is there one in the DC area? Please answer my question ... I am desperate.

Although not desperate enough to figure out how to type "pain quotidien" into Google or even the not-all-that-unlikely www.painquotidien.com into my browser window, despite the month I have had to mull these options. My reconnaissance on foot has also so far been unsuccessful as I keep walking into lamp posts and tripping over my untied shoelaces. Perhaps you can assist me there, too?

Although not desperate enough to figure out how to type "pain quotidien" into Google or even the not-all-that-unlikely www.painquotidien.com into my browser window, despite the month I have had to mull these options. My reconnaissance on foot has also so far been unsuccessful as I keep walking into lamp posts and tripping over my untied shoelaces. Perhaps you can assist me there, too?

My thought exactly, but somebody else beat me to the punch in pointing that out in the chat. I mean, fer real? I'm wondering how many of these "why won't you answer my question, Tom?" queries are people who are truly helpless/dense/ignorant vs. those whose egos are so fragile that they get some perverse pleasure in the thought that Tom personally answered their question out of the hundreds he receives. And that they are personally offended when that doesn't happen! :lol:

There are certain people who just shouldn't be allowed out on the Internet - my guess is that the Pain Quotidien person is one of those.

As far as Pain Quotidien goes, we had some good pastries and a truly wonderful Montmorency cherry cider at one of the Soho branches Sunday. Their web address was on the menu, and, IIRC, on the window of the store as well. If I had been looking to find if there were a branch in DC, that would've seemed the obvious place to look. Or, gosh, I could even have asked one of the staff. :lol:

The Pain Quotidien poster had to be a ruse. I mean, seriously, you can remember how to spell Pain Quotidien, but now are miffed Tom won't tell you if there is one in the area.

And you've been trying for four weeks.

Just like mr. "all nude". These posts actually make me chuckle, and I like the fact that Tom posts these comments, it makes for a much more lively chat (and post chat discussion)

I don't like that he posts the "I DEMAND AN ANSWER" people, largely because I think it encourages other people to get snippy in their questions. He ignores me on a regular basis and I don't take it personally.

Much.

Actually he did post a question of mine (for a change) this week. I want my Palena lunch back, dammit. Time to make the donuts!!

Jael

Ellicott City, Md.: Submitted many times, but never got a reply. Do we have to extremely flattering to be recognised. Just Plain Doe's will not do looks like it. Love your reviews, but have been lately disppointed in not getting any response without a bling.

This is maybe my single favorite chat question ever.

Edited by brian

Ellicott City, Md.: Submitted many times, but never got a reply. Do we have to extremely flattering to be recognised. Just Plain Doe's will not do looks like it. Love your reviews, but have been lately disppointed in not getting any response without a bling.

This is maybe my single favorite chat question ever.

Yeah, this one brings to mind the line from Blazing Saddles about "authentic frontier gibberish." :lol:

So my question this week is, where should I have her take me for dinner this Friday night for a moderate "masculine" meal (bbq/steak/potatoes) that she can also tolerate (good wine/tablecloths)? I'm reasonably confident the ESPNZone will not fly. ---Love ya, honey!---

So, does this mean that I am somehow less manly because I like good food?

I've always been pretty confident in my manhood, but now... I'm not so sure. :lol:

Edited by bilrus

So, does this mean that I am somehow less manly because I like good food?

I've always been pretty confident in my manhood, but now... I'm not so sure. :lol:

I think you feel intimidated by the guys who measure their "manhood" by the food they eat. More's the pity for them. And, YOU CAN COOK!!! I'll bet Mrs. Bilrus appreciates THAT particular talent. :P

I think you feel intimidated by the guys who measure their "manhood" by the food they eat.  More's the pity for them.  And, YOU CAN COOK!!!  I'll bet Mrs. Bilrus appreciates THAT particular talent.  :lol:

I think it's a reasonable descriptor that doesn't challenge anyone's gender identity. Someone says they want to go to a "masculine restaurant" I know what they mean: steak and martinis and certain clubby decore. I don't think it means "no girlz allowed," these days.

Never heard the phrase "feminine restaurant," though. I'm picturing salad, ladies who lunch, a little white wine, chintz...

I think it's a reasonable descriptor that doesn't challenge anyone's gender identity.  Someone says they want to go to a "masculine restaurant" I know what they mean: steak and martinis and certain clubby decore.  I don't think it means "no girlz allowed," these days.

Never heard the phrase "feminine restaurant," though.  I'm picturing salad, ladies who lunch, a little white wine, chintz...

When I read this, I thought immediately about my all-time favorite skit on "Your Show of Shows"--Sid Caesar and Howie Morris want to go to "The Roaring Lion" to eat red meat, and their wives, Imogene Coca and Pat Carroll want to go to "Dolly Dainty's Tea Shoppe," where they serve peeled grapes and cucumber sandwiches. Howie promises not to make castles of the mashed potatoes if the women will agree to go to "The Roaring Lion"... I remember laughing my ass off.

Washington, D.C.: Tom,

We already know you are out of touch with your readers who have to actually pay for their meals, as you never criticize the frustrating dining situation in Washington where most every good restaurant is priced for the expense account set, other than Jose Andres' restaurants, pizza places and restaurants in the suburbs. You could take the lead on criticizing the number of places with entrees that start at $15 and the paucity of those with entrees less than $15. BUT NOW YOU HAVE FURTHER ALIENATED all of us by ripping the Metro in you column today. The Metro is the safest, cleanest and most efficient subway system in the United States. Many of us rely on it to get us to work and to play. It is veyr important to us and for the most part serves us well. As you probably take cabs to all of your restaurant boondoggles and do not have to pay for the taxi fares (reimbursed) it is no wonder that you would turn up your nose to our Metro. We have to pay for our food and our transportation. The Metro works quite nicely thank you and the good restaurants in DC cost too much. You haven't noticed either and should think a little bit more about your audience and our reality, not your own.

1.  No one has forced you to leave your square cube from D.C. to come down to   

Virginia.

2.  There is a reason behind Paulimoto's opening up at the end of the month.   

3.  If you have such resources and talent, then open one your self, you seem to be up on useing big terminology.   

4.  This is not the Mall of America or nor does it present itself to be.

5. if your so much a "D.C." fan, why talk so much about Reston and Fairfax.

6.  If you feel that you deserve so much better, sit in on a meeting with the McClean city chamber of commerce and express your disappointment because your sad life is ruined because Tyson's did not put the resteraunts that "You feel are to your likeing"...

7. i'm gald to see that your so attentive with the structural detail of the locations...

8. For what its worth, keep your lame comments and stay in Fairfax and Reston...

9. always have to have someone cry'n about something on these boards

Same angry poster?