Discount Coupons

clayrae

I just bought a Groupon for the first time for a restaurant. I'm curious, are you supposed to show your groupon to the server before your order is taken, or do you wait until the check is presented? I admit to being a little reluctant to identify myself as a groupon customer up front, for fear of receiving inferior food and service. Of course, like sacrilicious, I would tip on the whole amount.

I just bought a Groupon for the first time for a restaurant. I'm curious, are you supposed to show your groupon to the server before your order is taken, or do you wait until the check is presented? I admit to being a little reluctant to identify myself as a groupon customer up front, for fear of receiving inferior food and service. Of course, like sacrilicious, I would tip on the whole amount.

While your fear is common, I am not sure of the reasoning behind your fear.

In general, a group on means that the half price coupon you recieve from restaurant x nets the restaurant about half the purchase price. In other words therestaurant recieves $.25 on the dollar. Why would they give you an inferior experience when they are discounting you 75%. If the program is to have any payoff for the restaurant, they need to buff out your experience so much that you want to come back at full price. The only way I kow if to do this is either have servers with Svengalian hypnotic powers or to give you a grat wime!

If the restaurant blows you off because of the coupon, then they may as well have charge you fulll price and then tossed 75% of the reciepts in the trash!

While your fear is common, I am not sure of the reasoning behind your fear.

In general, a group on means that the half price coupon you recieve from restaurant x nets the restaurant about half the purchase price. In other words therestaurant recieves $.25 on the dollar. Why would they give you an inferior experience when they are discounting you 75%. If the program is to have any payoff for the restaurant, they need to buff out your experience so much that you want to come back at full price. The only way I kow if to do this is either have servers with Svengalian hypnotic powers or to give you a grat wime!

If the restaurant blows you off because of the coupon, then they may as well have charge you fulll price and then tossed 75% of the reciepts in the trash!

Very rational, Dean. Perhaps you, or someone else, could explain the rationale behind being expected to tip on the full-price before the discount?

Very rational, Dean. Perhaps you, or someone else, could explain the rationale behind being expected to tip on the full-price before the discount?

Because the servers are still doing the same amount of work.

The cooks still get paid the same, so do the managers, (and so should the servers). The only people who should get "paid" less with these coupons are the restaurant owners, who presumably will reap various benefits from them, such as future business, additional alcohol revenue, the appearance of a full restaurant, etc.

Now, I happen to think that servers should be salaried employees, and that this society should completely do away with the tipping system, but that's a whole 'nother matter entirely.

Because the servers are still doing the same amount of work.

The cooks still get paid the same, so do the managers, (and so should the servers). The only people who should get "paid" less with these coupons are the restaurant owners, who presumably will reap various benefits from them, such as future business, additional alcohol revenue, the appearance of a full restaurant, etc.

Now, I happen to think that servers should be salaried employees, and that this society should completely do away with the tipping system, but that's a whole 'nother matter entirely.

The servers are doing the same amount of work whether they fetch you a $40 bottle or an $80 bottle; a pasta dish, or the steak. Tips are base on your tab, no? If one's tab is $50, why should one tip on $75? Is one expected to tip 'full-price' for half-price drinks at Happy Hour? Or tip 'full price' for discounted meals during Restaurant Week or some other promotion? Tuesday is half-price burger night-should I tip full-price? Why should coupons be any different?

The servers are doing the same amount of work whether they fetch you a $40 bottle or an $80 bottle; a pasta dish, or the steak. Tips are base on your tab, no? If one's tab is $50, why should one tip on $75? Is one expected to tip 'full-price' for half-price drinks at Happy Hour? Or tip 'full price' for discounted meals during Restaurant Week or some other promotion? Tuesday is half-price burger night-should I tip full-price? Why should coupons be any different?

You make good points.

I tip based on the full price of discounted drinks, RW meals, half-price burgers, and, yes, coupons.

So, the answer to your questions are, in order: based on your full-price tab, because it's fair, yes, yes, yes, and they aren't.

So, if your meal was comped for some reason other than service, you wouldn't leave a tip? If the bartender pours you a free one, you don't throw an extra couple of bucks?

Just checked the fine print on my as-yet unused Entertainment Book (PTA fundraiser :angry: ) and the fine print below the dining coupons says "Tipping should be 15-20% of the total bill before discount."

I agree with Don about wait staff being salaried, but until they are, they are the ones getting screwed if you tip on the discounted total. I'll continue to tip on the full amount.

(Dan, I'm bringing you the $5 off Mamma Lucia coupon on Thursday. :lol: )

I admit to being a little reluctant to identify myself as a groupon customer up front, for fear of receiving inferior food and service.

Is one expected to tip 'full-price' for half-price drinks at Happy Hour? Or tip 'full price' for discounted meals during Restaurant Week or some other promotion? Tuesday is half-price burger night-should I tip full-price? Why should coupons be any different?

Debout, les damnes de la terre! Debout, les forcats de la faim!...Foules esclaves: Debout! Debout!

C'est la lutte finale!!!

Debout, les damnes de la terre! Debout, les forcats de la faim!...Foules esclaves: Debout! Debout!

C'est la lutte finale!!!

Is there no one brave enough to answer my cri de coeur?

I would have thought that this timeless cri de guerre would be answered with a thousand resounding voices.

Does no one on this board recognize those immortal words and feel a burning irresistible passion aroused within?

Shame, shame, shame!

Is there no one brave enough to answer my cri de coeur?

I would have thought that this timeless cri de guerre would be answered with a thousand resounding voices.

Does no one on this board recognize those immortal words and feel a burning irresistible passion aroused within?

Shame, shame, shame!

C'est la lutte finale / Groupons-nous et demain / L'Internationale / Sera le genre humain.

Long way to go for a pun, n'est-ce pas?

Does anyone see a difference between living social, groupn etc?

Not too much so far, from my consumer experiences with What's the deal (a non-food service cert. in my case) and Groupon. The nice thing with Groupon is that they credited my account when I had a family conflict with a groupon purchased - their customer service is pleasant to deal with. I don't know about the others' customer services because I have not purchased from Living Social and I have not had issues with my WTD purchase. Don't know from the restaurant's prospective...

I don't want to put words in Dean's mouth, but the fine print says "Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion," which may mean no Wine Madness, etc.

(I was tempted to buy one of these myself which is why I noticed.)

Correct but 50% off is a bttter deal than the 3 course or Menu della Sera for 23 or 4. Wine madness is 33% so it depends on the bottle you try.

Correct but 50% off is a bttter deal than the 3 course or Menu della Sera for 23 or 4. Wine madness is 33% so it depends on the bottle you try.

and almost 1,000 have been sold! you are going to be deluged with customers. Still, this amounts to a $25 savings per table, and i can imagine many occasions, even for two diners, when the specials are a better deal.

i have one groupon coupon where i can save maybe $20 at policy, if i use it in time, if it hasn't already expired, so i will probably avoid these in the future. let's assume that a certain small percentage of the certificate holders never use it. how does this work for the restaurant? what's the deal between the restaurant and groupon, or living social?

i have one groupon coupon where i can save maybe $20 at policy, if i use it in time, if it hasn't already expired, so i will probably avoid these in the future. let's assume that a certain small percentage of the certificate holders never use it. how does this work for the restaurant? what's the deal between the restaurant and groupon, or living social?

Ooooh, I've been wanting to know about these coupons, as well as the Restaurant.com certificates. How does it work to the restaurant's advantage, if at all? Please do tell, Dean!

Ooooh, I've been wanting to know about these coupons, as well as the Restaurant.com certificates. How does it work to the restaurant's advantage, if at all? Please do tell, Dean!

I would think the advantage is to get more folks in the door with the hope that they become repeat customers.

Our typical customer comes in and has a meal with wines by the glass or a $30 average bottle. For folk like this, the living social deal is better for them. If you are going to come in on a wine madness night and get spendy, it is better to pay the deal price.

Living Social sell the coupon for $25 and I get a percentage of that amount.

I bought the American Flatbread groupon. The instructions say to make a reservation. Do they really mean that?

Nope. I just walked in on a Wednesday evening, was seated, used my Groupon and no issues.

I recently got a Living Social coupon and was wondering the same thing? Can you just walk-in and use it?

Yep. Unless there is a date-time restriction. For example, the Flatbread Groupon said if use Thursday through Saturday, the party must be seated by 7:00pm.

Nope. I just walked in on a Wednesday evening, was seated, used my Groupon and no issues.

Yep. Unless there is a date-time restriction. For example, the Flatbread Groupon said if use Thursday through Saturday, the party must be seated by 7:00pm.

Depends on your server. Our Groupon was turned down once because of the lack of reservation, even though we were within the time constraints. Didn't bother us, as we weren't following the rules!

Is it possible to spend $40 at Cereal Bowl?!

The deal may be used over multiple visits.

I think if you smoke enough pot you can spend $40 on Funyons, so why not cereal?

They also serve smoothies, breakfast pastries, fair trade coffee and more. They are trying to create a neighborhood feel to the place unlike the former Starbucks or the former Foster's Brother Coffee which really did not. They seem to be nice guys and they are trying hard.

I have a $50 LivingSocial coupon for PS7 that I bought for $25 that expires on Thursday that I can't use.

hillvalley's post caused me to wonder if anyone has ever used an expired coupon successfully? I am wondering because I had let a Groupon Sushi-ko coupon expire from last year and Groupon insists that I can still use it there and that they should honor it. But I am dubious. (Except, of course, I can't let it go that I let good money and sushi go to waste. Sigh.)

hillvalley's post caused me to wonder if anyone has ever used an expired coupon successfully? I am wondering because I had let a Groupon Sushi-ko coupon expire from last year and Groupon insists that I can still use it there and that they should honor it. But I am dubious. (Except, of course, I can't let it go that I let good money and sushi go to waste. Sigh.)

It's entirely up to the establishment I believe. The most sophisticated system for tracking Groupon's I have witnessed has been a sheet with all of the individual coupon codes printed out that are crossed out when they are redeemed.