Discount Coupons

clayrae

$25 for $45 at Food Matters

This is the second time a Specialicious coupon has made it unclear whether or not alcohol is included (the first being Present) - it matters to me because it's the difference of dining solo, or needing to go with someone else (I'm not trying to be cheap; I'm just trying to plan.)

I've started to use some of these coupons (I'd be a fool not to), and I love this thread. I've recently written reviews for Ristorante Murali and Toscana Green, for example - two places where I wouldn't necessarily rush off to. Hopefully, the reviews have gotten them a bit of publicity.

Cheers,

Rocks

This is the second time a Specialicious coupon has made it unclear whether or not alcohol is included (the first being Present) - it matters to me because it's the difference of dining solo, or needing to go with someone else (I'm not trying to be cheap; I'm just trying to plan.)

I've started to use some of these coupons (I'd be a fool not to), and I love this thread. I've recently written reviews for Ristorante Murali and Toscana Green, for example - two places where I wouldn't necessarily rush off to. Hopefully, the reviews have gotten them a bit of publicity.

Cheers,

Rocks

We were instructed, because of VA ABC law, that we could not include the alcohol in the deal.

Restaurant.com is having an 80% off sale right now with the code DEAL. I don't know if this is a new feature or not, but you can use this deal toward gift certificates for the site as well. That is, instead of buying certificates for a specific restaurant, you buy them for restaurant.com and then use those funds to purchase restaurants' gift certificates whenever you like. The practical upshot is that you don't have to wait for another sale to come along if you want to buy a certificate to a specific restaurant on the cheap.

If the above is confusing, you can still buy certificates to specific restaurants right now for 80% off. (That's 80% off an already discounted cost, not 80% off the value.) For example, PS7's is one of the places you can buy certificates for, and I just used one there a few weeks ago. A number of denominations are available. You can get a $75 certificate for $6 using the coupon code, for example. You have to spend $150 at the restaurant to make the coupon work, but it's not hard to reach that bill total if, say, three people go and get an app, entree, dessert, and cocktail.

Bloomspot

Note: Offer expires at midnight tonight.

Redwood Restaurant and Bar

$38 for 3-course chefs tasting menu with wine pairings ($68 value)

Offer Details

* Expires September 1, 2011. Reservations required.

* Limit one per person. May purchase multiples as gifts.

* Entire table must participate in tasting menu.

* Must redeem in one visit; no cash or credit back.

* Gratuity not included; please tip on full value.

* Valid during dinner, Sunday–Thursday only.

* Cannot be used with other offers.

* Refunds allowed up to 24 hours after close of bloomspot sale.

FYI to anyone who has expired Restaurant.com certificates:

I just logged into my account to print out a newly purchased certificate, and found that the ones that I thought were expired (usually a year after you purchase them) were still listed in my account and now state "This Restaurant Gift Certificate does not expire"!

Living Social's new instant lunch coupons are kind of insane. Its an interesting idea. It looks like they only live during the days lunch hour or dinner hour and they are only $1. https://livingsocial.com/instant?preferred_city=1&ref=nav

Some pretty awesome ones in there for today are: Ba Bay, Blacksalt, and Equinox (all lunch).

Note that the ones mentioned specifically have a catch that only 1 can be used per table.

Living Social's new instant lunch coupons are kind of insane. Its an interesting idea. It looks like they only live during the days lunch hour or dinner hour and they are only $1.

The Express said this was only going on through the 18. Not sure if true or not.

Living Social's new instant lunch coupons are kind of insane. Its an interesting idea. It looks like they only live during the days lunch hour or dinner hour and they are only $1. https://livingsocial.com/instant?preferred_city=1&ref=nav

Some pretty awesome ones in there for today are: Ba Bay, Blacksalt, and Equinox (all lunch).

I believe this concept is similar to Venga which is having their launch party next week.

Just to clarify - they were only $1 yesterday as part of a media blitz to bring attention to the service (and it would appear they did a damn good job at it). That being said, as I understand it all the businesses that took part yesterday agreed to deals with LS to continue offering Instant Deals over a period of time. The idea is that you check the website or phone ap when you're about to grab a bite or a drink, see that a place is offering you $5-10 off, and steer yourself in that direction. Will these deals steer me to places I'd otherwise never go to? Of course not - sorry McFaddens. But seeing how they've brought in places like Ba Bay, Cajun Experience, Blacksalt, and Vinoteca, I can see being swayed to go back to places I already like and have neglected, or places I have heard good things about but haven't gotten around to visiting.

And yesterday I was pretty much their ideal user - I got a $1 lunch at Merzi and was pleasantly surprised with the lamb rice bowl. I'd been curious to check out the place and will now definitely go back if I need a bite during the lunch hour or for a quick bite before something at Verizon. So thank you Merzi.

I can't take it anymore.

Here is an excerpt from today's Groupon offer to Dante restaurant in Great Falls:

"Baked lasagna ($18) and homemade veal- and spinach-stuffed ravioli ($18) calm the nerves of noodle addicts. Those who opt to pop in for a midday meal can commence lunch by marching vegetarian risotto ($10) and sautéed salmon ($14) into their oral cavities or into face-facing catapults."

Okay, while this is a particularly egregious example, the descriptions of these deals, in general, constitute THE WORST FOOD WRITING I'VE EVER READ.

I can't take it anymore.

Here is an excerpt from today's Groupon offer to Dante restaurant in Great Falls:

"Baked lasagna ($18) and homemade veal- and spinach-stuffed ravioli ($18) calm the nerves of noodle addicts. Those who opt to pop in for a midday meal can commence lunch by marching vegetarian risotto ($10) and sautéed salmon ($14) into their oral cavities or into face-facing catapults."

Okay, while this is a particularly egregious example, the descriptions of these deals, in general, constitute THE WORST FOOD WRITING I'VE EVER READ.

Wait wait. I get it. "oral cavities or into face-facing catapults" - the guy was writing to a demographic that has long been ignored: Coneheads!

$4 for a Burger at BGR on Groupon

Note that this is only good for "The Burger" and not "a Burger." The difference is that it doesn't include the veggie, turkey or southwestern, etc...

There is a long discussion on the groupon forum on this, and of course, many complaining that a veggie option wasn't offered.

Valid 1 groupon per table or per order.

Not much savings, tickets for adults are $3 instead of $6. I've never heard of this event before, but it sounds interesting - combining farmers market with Renaissance Fair.

Not really a farmers market and very little variety when it comes to food BUT the food that I tried were pretty good. They roast whole chicken on a open fire and seasoned it very well. I haven't had the roast chicken at Palena so I can't do a comparison but I think it would be pretty hard to top the chicken at the market fair. I also had some sausage and meat pie. They were pretty good (although I did get a little heartburn afterwords - fat seems to be the trigger). There are various forms of adult beverages, including lager, ale, stout, cider, etc. (none are homebrewed though, IIRC). Lots of families with small children.

i'm not sure i like these coupons. the only one i ever purchased expired before i had a chance to use it (my bad). but i am blaming coupons for the onslaught on sushi ko on an early tuesday evening, unless there is something else to explain why a small crowd was spilling out onto the street and the only room for dining inside was on someone's lap (like the establishment next door), with a two hour wait for a table and the chefs up front cutting like mad.

we ended up at ris, the second night there within a few weeks, and we still didn't find our way, wandering through an expensive menu, to anything to get excited about. vichyssoise was about as creamy as soup can get, without much flavor. a cheesburger ($11) was good, a flattened ball, about medium rare on one half as requested and well done on the other, the meat crumbly, cheddar scant, served with a few thin slices of nice pickles and a sweet sauce on the side, along with fries ($6) that had would have been better had they not travelled through a salt storm in the kitchen. the fries in a steak frites didn't have this problem, and the meat was a better cut than you normally would expect to see with this dish. it was really good, but you pay for what you get ($35). from the earlier meal, what i most remember about a turbot entree was its underseasoning. the fish itself was expertly cooked, saving the flesh from the custard it seemed to want to turn into. this was followed by a small, strawberry shortcake that was inventive -- with a few smears of strawberry ice cream and a few good strawberries up against angel food cake -- but still ended up being run of the mill. hendricks martins here are $14.50, and not consistently served cold. with a reservation and a half empty dining room on a sunday night we were relegated to the far back of the restaurant., where nobody else was sitting for most of the meal. on a tuesday night, with the dining room two-thirds full, walk-ins are eventually seated in a lonely lounge area upfront by the lonely bar. i know the chef here really knows how to cook, but i started to wonder if maybe the high-end real estate in which the restaurant is located isn't the best place for this talent.