Hill Country Barbecue and The Boot Bar (Downstairs) - 7th Street and Indiana Avenue in Penn Quarter

I just got back from Hills and I am about to slip into a food coma. i had the moist brisket and thought it was too fatty, I couldn't finish my 1/4 sized portion, My cousin got beef barbecue which I liked a little better. My group also ordered the ribs (too salty) My whole group each ordered two sides. The potato salad, collard greens and coleslaw were especially tasty. The corn pudding, texas caviar and cornbread were good but not amazing. Anyway out of all the sides we couldn't finish a single one. I wish they offered a smaller portion than their 8oz offerings. Fortunately they gave us caps for each of the sides to take home.

Moist is merely fatty brisket. Probably New York speak for those who don't want to hear "fatty."

I've been once, couple weeks ago, and got the "moist brisket", and it was my -- growing up on the east coast -- "aha" moment about why people would prefer beef barbeque to pork. Moist, delicious, and perfect. Then I had a pulled pork sandwich at Chubby's in Emmitsburg on my way to NY this weekend and realized that I'm still firmly in the prok camp (parts of it were dry, but most of the -- mostly still intact -- 1 pound plus shoulder sandwich were ridiculously good). But if I wanted meat for meat's sake I would hit Hill Country. It delivers on it's promises.

They're inaugurating their live music series tomorrow night, so I hope they have their system running a little more efficiently by now. You have to make table reservations by phone and buy the tickets online. While this isn't a terribly cumbersome process, knowing what's been said about their ordering/payment system makes me a little apprehensive about going to the inaugural night of this. I like Heybale, the band that's playing, so I'm giving it a shot. Tickets still available!

ETA: If I'd read my link all the way through B) , I would have seen that they've been doing free/cheap shows since mid-March, so perhaps my concerns are unfounded.

Well, my concerns about organization at Hill Country were not completely unfounded, though things sorted themselves out eventually and we had an overall enjoyable evening.

"The personnel are the highlight of this place," my husband remarked as he finished his food. He eats rather slowly and has frequent problem with plates being cleared away before he's done eating. Several times employees stopped to see if he was done, but they were nonintrusive and didn't try to take anything away before asking. The waitress we had was very good and got a better tip than I would normally leave in a place that's largely self-service. I agree with the comment upthread that the hybrid ordering/payment model they've got is the worst possible combination. We were able to pay our waitress directly, though, at the end of the night, which made things run a little smoother.

I intended to order 1/4 lb. moist brisket and 2 pork spare ribs from the meat counter. My turn came and...I asked for the Smoked Cowboy Steak Burger with house cured bacon ($11), which is a Thursday special. I have no idea why I did this, as I'd been thinking about brisket all day. I was sent to someone set up in a corner between the meat and sides counters and he assembled my burger. My husband got the brisket special ($14?), with 1/3 lb. lean brisket, a side (he got mac and cheese), and cornbread with ancho butter.

Our attempt to get back downstairs to our table with our trays of food was fairly comic, as we had to wait in a long line of people waiting for admission to the downstairs. That's definitely a piece of the system that needs work, though with the current ordering system, I'm not sure how they can prevent this kind of traffic jam. The bathrooms are also down there, adding to the crowding on the stairs at busy times.

My burger was smoky and spicy in a pleasing way but almost unbearably salty. It was also pretty rare, beyond what I would call medium rare. No one had asked how I wanted it cooked and I didn't think to ask how they would cook it. The thought of going back upstairs through the crowd to ask for it to be cooked a little more was not appealing, so I tried to eat the burger as it was. I managed about half of it. My husband ate another quarter and the rest went uneaten. The meat seemed like a good quality. I think I liked the thin fried onion rings on it best of all the "fixins." I had also gotten a small mac and cheese and found that overly salty as well, so my husband ate that in addition to his own order. He thought the brisket was too dry but liked the cornbread. The cornbread was his favorite part of the meal. He thought it seemed to have a custard center to it.

The music was wonderful and it was fun watching all the couples dance. Our table was in a good spot and I had a close view of the stage. We were seated at a communal table with a couple who had driven down from Pennsylvania to hear the band. Overall, it was a good night.

Last month I finally went to Hill Country to celebrate my 41st birthday. I went early on a Thursday to avoid the crowds and that tactic worked very well--I was virtually the only one there.

I went with the $24 special with 1/4 lb moist brisket. They wouldn't let me upgrade from the lean brisket in the special so I had to buy it extra. The sides were baked beans with burnt ends and collard greens. The beef ribs and the moist brisket were excellent and I enjoyed them thoroughly--smoke and fat and meat combining in a most pleasing fashion. Unfortunately the lean brisket is just dull. The restaurant is really missing a beat by not allowing an upgrade to moist for a fee. The sides were okay though I was definitely disappointed in the beans. The burnt ends didn't really seem to contribute anything.

I would definitely go back if I was feeling flush. In most cases though, I'd probably end up hitting Nando's instead to reduce wallet damage.

Rob

We work in the neighborhood, so we have visited a number of times for lunch. Yes, it is on the expensive end of the spectrum, but I have no problem spending a few extra bucks to get the best Texas BBQ in the DC area. We've tried the brisket, both moist and lean. Moist (fattier cut) is the better choice. The pork ribs are good, not great. Have had the chicken a couple of times and it has been moist and tasty each time. Of the sides, the cucumber salad was best. Never have had room for desert. They offer a number of specials at lunch, so you can save a buck or two. The card system is odd, but its been works better as the staff gets more experience. Definitely a destination restaurant for DC area residents.

Can someone explain why the brisket with fat is more expensive than the defatted choice?

As an owner of a Barbeque, I guess I'm missing something, as I would save a ton of $, if I charged for the fatty part of the brisket. Why is their lean, less expensive than the cut with fat?

Tried almost everything tonight, moist brisket, prime rib, beef ribs, pork spare ribs, original sausage, and beer can game hen, with sides or green bean casserole and mac 'n cheese. I don't purport to know BBQ or even like it. I made a reservation because I thought my brother in law was gonna be in town on his way to Hilton Head. Instead, he won't be here until tomorrow.

Once we were seated, I went to get the BBQ. After I came back to the table (it was a fairly busy Saturday early evening), my wife tells me that no server has come by yet. We waited a little longer, and still no one so my wife went to get drinks at the bar. The bartender couldn't charge our meal ticket so he finally got a server to come to our table. My wife expressed her displeasure and I ended up with a free pint of Shiner Bock.

So the red meats were all overly salty (and plenty smoky), while the chicken was bland (after I removed the skin - but the skin is plenty salty). The only thing I liked was the sausage - which is made by Kreuz. So Texas style BBQ does nothing for me.

We had around a half pound of each red meat, 1 sausage and 1 whole game hen (had to be purchased whole), 2 good eatin' sides, 1 ice cream, and 2 beers (1 was free) for $64 before tip.

Count me baffled. Went in last night with two people, hoping to eat bbq, drink beer, and see the music. I had never been in the place before and it was jammed. There was a guy giving out wristbands, a rapidly rotating group of people behind the cash register, and no sign of a stage. I got bounced between three people in two minutes, none of whom could explain the system to my comprehension. Finally I got a carefully-numbered card. Then the guy decided not to give me a wristband after all. Someone seated us downstairs where the stage is; someone else took my drink order and had to take my credit card with her to "guarantee it!" What, that I would pay for my drinks? Christ.

Peering at the little card in the dim light, I made out eight-point type indicating various food by the pound. No sandwiches or platters or meals. Strange... So I went back upstairs, where there were at least three different queues to different counters. I saw people marking up their cards, so I tried to check off what we wanted so I could remember it when I got through the long line. When I finally got to what I assumed to be the main counter, the clerk said "You're doing something wrong! I do the marking. Now they're gonna charge you for all that." Well, yes, I assumed I would pay for my food... But he wouldn't take the card. OK what? I offered to get a blank one for him to mark. But heavens no, there was a sacred number on my card that would somehow wreck the system. He didn't offer me any solution but just kept repeating that "they" would have to charge me.

At this point we had been at the restaurant for over twenty minutes, stood in two lines, gotten one round of drinks delivered very slowly with an insulting pre-authorization of my credit card, and had our quite expensive food order refused. I tipped the bartender a buck and we walked out.

No BBQ could be that good. What am I missing?

No BBQ could be that good. What am I missing?

The system is somewhat confusing but not impossible to comprehend. You order drinks at the table (provided that you have a server) and then you go stand in line for your food. You hand your card to the guys behind the food counters and tell them what you want. The guy gives you the food and then mark on your card. Do not mark your card personally or lose your card, they don't want to make a fuss but they would charge you $50 per missing card. Which made me wonder what if I had lost my card intentionally (after I order more than $50 worth of food)?

At this point we had been at the restaurant for over twenty minutes, stood in two lines, gotten one round of drinks delivered very slowly with an insulting pre-authorization of my credit card, and had our quite expensive food order refused. I tipped the bartender a buck and we walked out.

The credit card preauthorization seems stranger than it probably is because of the confusing ordering/payment system. If you're opening a tab at a bar, especially a crowded bar at night, you're often asked for a credit card upfront. Here, you're being trusted to order what could be a very expensive amount of food at the various stations upstairs and to pay when you leave, but they also want a credit card if you want to order alcohol, even if that would constitute a tiny portion of your total bill. It struck me as odd too. If you order alcohol at a restaurant with table service, they don't need your credit card upfront, though you could conceivably walk out on the bill.

This is a time when talking to a manager would have been a really good idea. (I'm concluding you didn't from the wording.) If they have your credit card linked to your ordering card and you walked out, they have no way of knowing if you received and consumed any or all of the food items possible on the ordering card. I wonder how their system handles this. If you say you lost your numbered card(s), they charge you $50. What happens if the card is never turned in? At some point, someone tracking purchases may realize it's unaccounted for.

It might be a good idea to contact management now, at least to alert them to a problem in their system (if someone mistakenly checks boxes on his numbered card, no one will give him food).

In the end, if you're downstairs for the music, you can pay the server for everything at the end (the two systems merge), either with the card they have, another card, or cash.

I have really liked the food in my 3 visits but I'm not going back until I hear consistent reports of staffing improvements.

They can't explain the system. The servers who are supposed to bring drinks were non-existent. I've complained each time and been assured that things are improving.

I'll pass.

I have really liked the food in my 3 visits but I'm not going back until I hear consistent reports of staffing improvements.

They can't explain the system. The servers who are supposed to bring drinks were non-existent. I've complained each time and been assured that things are improving.

I'll pass.

It appears that the bar in front functions differently. They have a separate bar menu, but I was allowed to go into the restaurant and get whatever I wanted. After I got my food, I simply walked back to the bar. The bartender took my card at the end and settled everything there.

Thanks for the responses.

Of course, I run tabs at bars all the time, and if the server had said the magic words "Open a tab" instead of "Guarantee it," I might have gone along with better grace. Still, at the bar, I'm dealing directly with the bartender and he doesn't want to come out from behind the counter to find drunks who wander off and leave their bills. At a table, I'm paying with tips for the waiter to act on my behalf with the establishment and vice versa. I've never been asked to open a tab when sitting at a table before. Even moreso, when I close a bar tab, they give me the option of putting the charge on the credit card or paying in another way. In this case, when I went to pay up with cash in hand, the card had already been charged, apparently at the moment of ordering. That would explain why it took so long to pull a couple drinks.

In the end, if you're downstairs for the music, you can pay the server for everything at the end (the two systems merge), either with the card they have, another card, or cash.

Interesting! That may well be true, but none of the staff I talked to knew it. I asked several employees, quite neutrally, how the unusual setup was working for them. Each grimaced in pain before trying to put on a boss-pleasing "everything is great!" smile. Another person I dealt with was downright hostile, probably from a long, frustrating string of customers "doing something wrong." People probably get upset when you hand them a little paper card which, if not handled correctly the first time, can cost them $50 for no food.

Maybe Hill Country deserves another chance when less busy. If I do go back, I'll mention my previous experience to management. Still, I don't think I'm the only one who wanted to try the place and was prevented by, not only an unfamiliar system, but employees who can't explain it.

Gf and I went last night for the first time before working our way up my old stomping grounds to see Captain America. At 7pm on a Monday night, it was pretty full and fairly loud...big space and seemed like a mix of Hill peeps and tourists. Bar was empty except for 2 people. We were seated and then kinda just took it all in for a while, watching people, reading the menu boards, drink list and out cards. After about 5 mins a "server" came over to take our drink order and partly explain how to get food. We ordered drinks and then about 4 minutes later another "server" came by to greet us and take our already placed drink order that evidently never made it in communication between the 2 servers :mellow: Anyway....we reordered and then decided to get the Deal for 2 for $49 consisting of Chicken, 2 pork ribs, 2 beef ribs and brisket with 2 16oz sides. I went and stood in the cafeteria style ordering line waiting to order from the meat guys....was looking at all the different offerings and still trying to figure out the sides and other possibilities. Reception from meat guys is what I would expect from an assembly line cast of characters that are in Zombie/worker bee mode....I get there myself from time to time..but try to snap out of it :unsure:

Anyway meat was wrapped and given to me, where I then got a side of pickles, mac and cheese and bourbon mashed sweet pototoes. The green beans with onions looked really good, but I opted for a small collard greens instead. Then with food on tray, grabbed some plates and silverware...which was spotted as can be ;)

Returned to my table whereby we proceeded to try our bounty. It was a lot of food to be honest and while the chicken was tasty, we really didnt do more than try a few bites. Brisket was good, as were the pork and beef ribs. Sides were underwhelming. Our "server" was 1 of about 3 roaming girls that basically arent around often to check on you. Gf went to bar to get another beer as did I for another Margarita. The card thing is what it is and the asking of the fredit card for drinks is plain annoying at a table. Yes I get that anyone or a group of 75 could basically walk out of the superdome cafeteria of BBQ, but I find it annoying that they are so quick to authorize the card before they care about getting you drinks. And lets be honest about servers..you basically serve yourself the food and they clean up the tables and maybe get you a drink. This really causes a tipping dilemma for me because I'm basically serving myself. Our bill was $98.00 special and 2 beers and 2 margs which ironically were presented on a NON ITEMIZED bill...just the amount with no breakdown?????? Thats really odd.

Summary: Glad we tried it and crossed it off the large list of places we wanted to try. Would I go back??....yes, more for carry out or if I was dying for BBQ and couldnt get to THe PIT STOP :blink: But really have no desire to go to a massive WalMart type BBQ place...I wish it were smaller and less faux...but it is DC and trying to give you that yee haw down home feeling....

Yet I would rather go to a real barn with just great BBQ and coolers full of soda and beer and really serve myself

...We ordered drinks and then about 4 minutes later another "server" came by to greet us and take our already placed drink order that evidently never made it in communication between the 2 servers :mellow: ...Reception from meat guys is what I would expect from an assembly line cast of characters that are in Zombie/worker bee mode....I get there myself from time to time..but try to snap out of it :unsure:

...Then with food on tray, grabbed some plates and silverware...which was spotted as can be ;)

Summary: Glad we tried it and crossed it off the large list of places we wanted to try. Would I go back??....yes, more for carry out or if I was dying for BBQ and couldnt get to THe PIT STOP :blink: But really have no desire to go to a massive WalMart type BBQ place...I wish it were smaller and less faux...but it is DC and trying to give you that yee haw down home feeling....

Yet I would rather go to a real barn with just great BBQ and coolers full of soda and beer and really serve myself

Reading stuff like this about new and hyped DC 'Q spots brings tears to my eyes--the remorseful and sad kind. Especially when I'm reminded what could be as discovered this past weekend just 90 or so minutes away. Sigh...

Tried first to find this Hill County thread via the dining guide and, only after not seeing it there, reverted to google. Probably a sign.

Not. A. Fan.

Went today at a friend's suggestion for lunch. He loves it. I don't.

Tried the moist brisket since I'd read and heard that was a standout. Not bad but, while indeed moist, I found the flavor lacking. A single pork rib was really disappointing; dry, flavorless, leather-like, too easily converted to shreds upon biting or tearing. Neither tasted of any smoke. Sides were ordinary (mac & cheese; corn bread) at best or not good (cucumber salad--cloyingly sweet) at worst. Service was fine but, of course, much of the experience from ordering to table settings is DIY. A bit too much cutesy in the ordering process in my view: scorecards, ordering by the pound, etc. Some people care most about food. Others really value service or venue. But I don't anyone who frequents restaurants does so due to an ordering process. So best to be simple and efficient there methinks. I can understand why this might be a problem when they're slammed.

I think there's significant daylight between Hill Country and Rocklands for the DC title. Rocklands still DC's best IMHO, particularly for their ribs. And, there's a universe of difference between Hill and spots outside the city like KBQ. Hill, with it's huge footprint, cute ordering process, mediocre food and very high volume expectations* seems a spot more for tourists not really enamored with BBQ than for people who really appreciate and lust after the cuisine.

* Interestingly, today at high noon, the place was pretty empty despite it being lunchtime on a non-holiday and thousands of protestors and marchers surrounding the area.

The system is stupid. Stop trying to be a unique snowflake. Our waitress was extremely slow with the beers and it looked like there were not nearly enough of them for the hours just before a Caps game. The food was a mixed bag but I liked it slightly better than urban, which I don't care for much at all. The sides were the stars: Texas caviar and mac and cheese were tops. Pintos were the only bad side, they tasted like burnt coffee. The chicken was suprisingly the highlight of the meats I tried.

I can't imagine going back there, I can get mediocre BBQ at cheaper places.

Well, I really appreciated their system. This was for carry out, though. At least when I went one late night when my mom and I were tired and she was craving BBQ, it was nice this place was open and friendly. Many props to service for the following:

1. Explanation of their system to a first-timer.

2. Patience to the carvers for being conscious for my allergy. Not only did the carver wipe down the knife used to carve the ribs, both he and the weighing server changed out their gloves to avoid cross-contamination.

Needless to say, I am grateful. We ordered to go: 2 beef ribs, 2 pork ribs and 1 bourbon pecan pie. Please avoid the pie. It was not worth the $6 and sadly, it tastes like something from an average grocery store bakery--gooey, lump mess with the minimal number of pecans to qualify it as a "pecan pie."

Mom liked the beef ribs, but thought it paled in comparison to Blue Smoke in NYC. It was tender but not as flavorful. The pork ribs were moist compared to Blue Smoke, but lacked flavor as many commented above; however, it made a nicely shredded pork sandwich for the next day.

I really appreciated their service on that late night (it's so late I can't even recall what night it was anymore!).

They've altered the service so that if you're eating in servers will offer to collect your meal tickets and present you with a check at your table - no more pile up at the front register unless you choose to check out that way or you're doing take out.

They've altered the service so that if you're eating in servers will offer to collect your meal tickets and present you with a check at your table - no more pile up at the front register unless you choose to check out that way or you're doing take out.

Also saw this at lunch today. When ordering drinks, a far more convenient way of doing things.

The moist brisket today was outstanding: smoky, rich, and delicious. Wanted to try the "red eye rubbed pork belly" listed as one of today's specials, but didn't want to mix my meats so I settled for a single beef rib alongside the brisket instead. I wouldn't ever order more than one of these -- the best bites of it mix well-done exterior with a juicy interior, but the meat on much of the length isn't thick enough to supply more than the well-done exterior bits. Still, a single rib makes a much better complement to the brisket than the mediocre sides or overpriced cornbread.

Having to wait in the whole side dishes line just to get a few slices of raw onion or a handful of pickles is obnoxious. And the pricing, at 50 cents for each of those, is ticky-tack. I'd pay another fifty cents per pound on the meats for a little side stand or vats on the tables with pickles and onions.

The Boot Bar is another great addition to the live music scene in the DC area. Granted, it's small, but that's the main reason it's so good. It was the perfect spot to see the Holmes Brothers for an early Sunday evening show.

Unfortunately, food service and payment turned out to be a total cluster, both seemingly due to under-staffing, lack of preparedness for the 5:30 'doors open', and an inexperienced server. Food was ordered at the table, as were drinks. Both took quite a long time to come out. The food orders were hopelessly screwed up - missing items, cold food, replacement for unavailable item arriving long after everything else had been finished. If this is the norm, I think I would prefer to go up and order my own food and bring it back downstairs. At least that way I know it would be i) what I ordered and ii) hot. While we had asked for two checks when we sat down, only one card was taken and the checks that came out were not correctly broken up between our parties, with items that never arrived included. It took three tries to get it sorted out, which was another 20 minutes of frustration (added to the initial 20 it took to get our first round of drinks).

On the plus side, happy hour is every day (3-7pm and 10pm-close) and the $5 margaritas are just about as good as the ones at Taqueria Poblano. The turkey breast was fantastic (once it arrived), tender, juicy, and full of flavor. The moist brisket was as good as always. I'd like to have some pepper vinegar to put on my greens, but they're still good without. My friends ordered off the bar menu and were very happy with their brisket tacos and barbecue beef sandwiches. I do like the food, the ambiance, and the music, so I'm willing to overlook the occasional service problems.

I paid a visit for a Meetup with some internet strangers and had a good time.

The six of us showed up on a Friday at around 7. The place was busy but there was plenty of room available so we didn't have to wait to get seats.

Since everyone here raved about the moist brisket, I got a half pound of that along with a side of green bean casserole, mac n cheese, and some corn bread.

First off, my BBQ experiences are sorely lacking. I've been to Stubbs in Austin (not very good) and Urban BBQ here in Rockville (decent but not really memorable). But the brisket I had at Hill Country was definitely the best. The slices I got were meaty and well marbled, but still had some texture so it wasn't like biting into mush. There were bits that were a little burnt and crispy. They had a great smoky flavor although I enjoyed them better doused with the BBQ sauce. There's a sweet version and a vinegary spicy one. Both enhanced the brisket without overpowering it.

I gobbled up the green bean casserole. I eat a pound of this stuff every Thanksgiving and the version served at Hill Country is solid. I was less impressed by the mac n cheese which lacked any sort of punch compared to all the other strongly flavored food I was eating. The corn bread was dry and I didn't eat much of it.

For dessert I had the banana cream pudding, which was decent.

For all of this I paid $25 (only drank water).

Overall I enjoyed my experience here. The main reason to come here is the meat, and the meat delivered. Our waitress was attentive and friendly, although I felt a little bad for her wearing such a tight low cut blouse. The location is convenient, and it's right across from Oyamel! I'll have to check it out before the Day of the Dead stuff expires.

We were there Friday night to see Radio Romance a band my friend knows from Nashville (they were good kind of rock with a little splash of country).  We ate upstairs first.  As a note when I first walked in they told me it would be an hour wait, five minutes later we were called.  Now I know wait times are hard to gauge I used to have to do such things, but there is a huge difference between and hour and five minutes.  We had friends who were delayed a little bit, but would be there in about 20 minutes.  When our table was called I let them know our whole party wasn't there to see if they wanted to delay seating, us but no they wanted to seat us.  Anyway it was fine, just a bit strange.  There were people outside that were choosing not to eat there based on the long wait time, they could have kept that business.

We got turkey, moist brisket a kruez sausage.  The turkey was actually my favorite, it was really good.  The sausage was fine, but next time I would skip it.  I liked the flavor of the moist brisket, but again I liked the turkey better.  For sides we had cornbread which was fine, but with their ordering system you don't really order in groups, so I would prefer one piece to an order.  The cool cucumber salad was refreshing and really good, almost like a palate cleanser between bites in a good way.  I also liked the greens, pretty standard, but good.  The beans were a little thick to me, they were ok in flavor, just not my favorite texture I would skip them next time.  I didn't try the mac and cheese.  I found the beer selection a little limited, so I had some cocktails.  None were really outstanding.  When we went downstairs they gave you everything in a plastic cup which dimished the cocktails further as they weren't very cold.  Anyway the band was great.  I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here again, but it wasn't bad.  Next time I would get turkey and cucumbers and save room for the banana pudding which looked good.

Thanks to Uber Eats and Hill Country, I avoided the oppressive heat that I would have encountered  today while making my usual journey to the nearest set of food trucks. 

30 minutes after ordering, the driver appeared with my order of 1/4 chicken, a pork rib, and a side of barbecued beans with burnt ends. Also included were two corn muffins, white bread, crackers, sauce, and honey butter. 

The ribs and chicken were perfectly cooked, and while the smoke was evident, it was not overpowering. The pork was tender but featured a good chew, while the chicken was moist with a crisp skin. Both were 10/10 on my highly subjective scale. The beans were very good, but could have benefited from a bit more seasoning.

Thanks to a promo code, the price of my $16 (plus tax and delivery fees) was quite reasonable, even by DC standards. (If you've never used Uber eats, send me a message and I can share a code with you.)

Very pleased Hill Country continues to put out barbecue that makes this native Texan proud!

• Like 2

I've been a pretty consistent booster/defender of Hill Country since it opened.  But the quality shown in roughly bi-monthly visits over the last year or so have inexorably sloped down. But I don't mean to bury HC - just to explicitly and officially (to myself) declare that it ranges from adequate to good, but no longer within spitting distance of sublime. The moist brisket is rarely as moist and smoky as it used to be. And on my last visit on Sunday (June 11) the specials board listed sausage for $6.75. I should've asked how much/many that gave you but I took the fact that it implied a single link the way it was written as a sign that I'm no longer the target audience (if I ever was).

I have a friend who travels to town every couple months, and insist on a visit to this place. Its not so bad I'll try to talk him out of it, but it's no longer the treat I used to look forward to.

• Like 1

Tim Carman ranks Hill Country #1.   He even claims Hill Country is better than Franklins, which ticked off the entire state of Texas.  In retaliation, the 'boys promises to wipe the floors with the 'skins.

I had some moist brisket just now and they are delicious, as are the pork ribs, even the shoulder clod (flat iron).  3 meats and 2 sides plus cornbread is now $25.  That's enough good for 2.

• Like 4

I went yesterday, and it is daaaaaaaarn fine. "Better than Texas" is not for me to decide, but ... well, let's put it this way. I have had brisket that makes me happy: La Barbecue, La Condesa, Mueller's. Then I've had brisket at multiple places around here, none of which distinguished itself from shoes. This brisket made me undeniably happy.

Although: great as the brisket was, the pork belly and the turkey didn't stand a chance. Well done.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 11:12 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Tim Carman ranks Hill Country #1.   He even claims Hill Country is better than Franklins, which ticked off the entire state of Texas.  In retaliation, the 'boys promises to wipe the floors with the 'skins.

I had some moist brisket just now and they are delicious, as are the pork ribs, even the shoulder clod (flat iron).  3 meats and 2 sides plus cornbread is now $25.  That's enough good for 2.

I haven't eaten at Franklin's (and probably won't anytime soon due to the ever-present line), but the calling card of a "great" barbecue joint is consistency.  That ability to pump out excellent stuff day in and day out (without the use of a "gas assist") is what sets apart the best Texas places from their peers.  DC places have always suffered from inconsistency, not helped by the frequent chef/pitmaster shuffles.  We'll see if these joints can stand the test of time.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2017 at 2:31 PM, rockcreek said:

I went yesterday, and it is daaaaaaaarn fine. "Better than Texas" is not for me to decide, but ... well, let's put it this way. I have had brisket that makes me happy: La Barbecue, La Condesa, Mueller's. Then I've had brisket at multiple places around here, none of which distinguished itself from shoes. This brisket made me undeniably happy.

Although: great as the brisket was, the pork belly and the turkey didn't stand a chance. Well done.

I wish to clarify this remark: I meant, "me and a 12 year old ate the whole damn thing with gusto, and we loved every second of its brief lifespan on our tray."

Thanks, everybody!

R

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 2:59 PM, Josh said:

I haven't eaten at Franklin's (and probably won't anytime soon due to the ever-present line), but the calling card of a "great" barbecue joint is consistency. 

Pretty sure that's applicable for all notable restaurants of any type, but point taken.

On 7/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, mtureck said:

Pretty sure that's applicable for all notable restaurants of any type, but point taken.

Absolutely. I do think, though, that it's harder to hide variations in quality in Central Texas-style barbecue than other types of cuisine.

• Like 2

After a trip to Hill Country on Saturday, I agree with Tim Carman that their moist brisket makes them the #1 barbecue restaurant in the DC-area by a wide margin. This was truly great brisket -- juicy, infused with smoke that provided a mild tang, and a robust beefy flavor. My brother was in town from Houston, and he has sampled several of the places on the Texas Monthly Top 50. He was impressed and said that the brisket that day would be worthy of being on the Texas Monthly list.

He and I also ate at Franklin's last year, and we agreed that Hill Country was not quite at Franklin's level. But it was still close enough for DC barbecue enthusiasts to be excited about. Where Frankin's bests everyone (in my opinion) is texture. Franklin's brisket has a melt-in-the-mouth quality akin to kobe beef that I haven't noticed elsewhere.

Carman says Hill Country is now cooking with 100% wood, and it is noticeable. I think I'm going to become a weekend regular there this summer and enjoy it while it lasts.

I'll also put in a plug for Hill Country's pork belly which they seem to have as a special on most weekends. They put a very salty rub on it and slice into 1/8 inch slices. It is now a must-order for me.  

• Like 3

It is a shame that Hill Country blew it when the Texas Monthly BBQ Editor was in town.  Yesterday, the brisket was on point... (Get it? Because 'point' is a cut of brisket? I'll pause 'til you're done laughing...)

...seriously though. I had two slices of 'moist' cut right off the end. A load of peppery bark on each morsel with tender beef fat that just melted in mouth. The jalapeno sausage from Kreuz' Market in Lockhart is also a must-order anytime I'm there. Unfortunately, the corn pudding is not available. The server said it would be back by November. In its place is "ATX Risotto" which was basically red beans and rice, minus the beans. It was good, but not as good as the corn pudding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We stopped by here before the Caps game last week.  About a third of our "moist brisket" order was pretty good, the rest was disappointingly dry and excessively charred.  I liked the sides (corn pudding and beet/kale salad) though.  In terms of places within reasonable driving distance of the DC area, ZZQ is best and it's not really close IMO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

My BIL who lives in Richmond swears it only takes 90 minutes to get there, or here, I have yet to make the trip down or back in less than 2 hours, and often 3, with completely stopped traffic around Fredericksburg.  I must perennially chose the wrong times.

Clearly you're traveling between 12 and 12 on a day that ends in Y.  How many speeding violations does your BIL have?

• Like 1

my meal reports from our recent dc trip continue with our first lunch which was at hill country. thanks to ericandblueboy for the rec. it was a big hit with the family--our boys love grilled and smoked meats of any kind. we got the moist brisket (good), the pork ribs (very good), the kreuz sausage (excellent) and a special of smoked chicken wings (excellent). for sides we got the cole slaw, the potato salad, sweet potato bourbon mash, the collards with bacon and the baked beans with burnt ends. all were good but i particularly enjoyed the latter three. prices were reasonable as well--just about $100 for three adults and two kids who ate a lot. i'm sure there are a lot of comparable places in dc but coming from minnesota, this was a big highlight for us.

the full review with more pictures than anyone probably needs is at the blog.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mongo jones said:

i'm sure there are a lot of comparable places in dc...

Actually, there are not many comparable places in DC.  Possibly Federalist Pig in Adams Morgan and Texas Jacks in Arlington (but they're both pretty inconsistent).  I'm glad you had an excellent meal at Hill Country.

• Like 3

Dinner at Hill Country earlier this week left me sad for the restaurant and its workers, and depressed about the future for many restaurants.

The servers, bartender, and manager couldn't have been friendlier. But the place was practically deserted at 7pm on a weeknight while a Wizards game was happening just a block away. If you've been to Hill Country, you know it's a big place. But there were probably only five tables occupied giving the place an empty and funereal feeling. Also, bbq is a business that requires healthy streams of customers to keep the product fresh -- and this food had been clearly sitting around a long time. The ribs had turned to the texture of pulled pork. The hot link was so dry and acrid from smoke that I couldn't eat more than one bite. The brisket was still pretty good however. 

The draft list at the bar is down to just a few options. They didn't have Shiner on draft anymore, and it didn't sound like it was being replaced any time soon.

Their once hefty side dish bar is now down to just four or five dishes -- probably the ones that can hold up the best over time like green bean casserole and mac n cheese. Their dessert menu is down to just three items (two of which are a pecan tart and a cookie that are clearly brought in). They don't serve ice cream any more because they said they can't go through it fast enough.

Again, everyone on the team could not have been nicer so this post is not a complaint --just a sad acknowledgement of what I imagine is happening at a lot of restaurants right now. I'm glad they're still there, but given their size and menu, I wonder how much longer they can last.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I walk past there sometimes and smell the food cooking. Smells wonderful. I'm never going by at a time of day when they're open and I can get something, and it's a little too far to head back there easily at prime time. I know they were closed for several days around the holidays. I hope they can bounce back.