Hill Country Barbecue and The Boot Bar (Downstairs) - 7th Street and Indiana Avenue in Penn Quarter

On 1/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, JimCo said:

Again, everyone on the team could not have been nicer so this post is not a complaint --just a sad acknowledgement of what I imagine is happening at a lot of restaurants right now. I'm glad they're still there, but given their size and menu, I wonder how much longer they can last.

I hope they can last. My brother loves this place. I have found it reliable for food when doing the museum thing. And my friend Krishna, who came from Texas, LOVES the food here.

I was walking by about 4 PM on Friday and hadn't quite figured out what I was making for dinner, so I went in and got carryout: wings, smoked turkey breast, and brisket (I asked if they could add a couple slices of moist to my lean order and they obliged).

The chile chicken wings were fantastic, I mean, really really good. They were supposed to come with ranch and it turned out they didn't, but I didn't check at the checkout when they asked if I wanted bbq sauce to see if ranch would have already been included or if I needed to get it from them. We have ranch at home, so no harm, no foul. Both the other meats were pretty good but not as notable as the wings.

I didn't get sides because I had plenty of things at home to accompany. Half a pound of each plus tax, etc., was about $42.

FWIW, there were plenty of tables occupied at this between lunch and dinner time, which seemed encouraging.

• Like 2