So I looked in the Everything Else Index and could not find a post on Nachos. I have a bad bad craving for nachos. I almost swear that I read a thread recently about good nachos, but it could be my mind creating that because I want them. So I want to know where your favorite nachos are, and why those are your favorite. Important factors to consider would be type of chip and how it holds up, toppings and type of meat and cheese. And I am not looking for chips with yellow goo.

---

Spider Kelly's (goodeats)
The Big Hunt (qwertyy)

I've been on a quest for good nachos for a long time and have mostly given up in favor of making them at home. I have liked the nachos at The Ugly Mug on Barracks Row and also the nachos at the Champps sports bar at Pentagon Row. [Caveat: I haven't tried either of these places in a while.] The latter is an enormous size and requires ordering with (beef) chili or chicken, whereas the ones at the Ugly Mug can be ordered without the additional protein. I prefer mine meatless.

A few years ago, I asked Todd Kliman during his chat about places to get nachos, and he suggested Rio Grande in Bethesda and Old Glory in Georgetown, but that's not exactly recent information and I never tried either place.

I'll be happy to glean suggestions from this thread.

So I looked in the Everything Else forum and could not find a post on Nachos. I have a bad bad craving for nachos. I almost swear that I read a thread recently about good nachos, but it could be my mind creating that because I want them. So I want to know where your favorite nachos are, and why those are your favorite. Important factors to consider would be type of chip and how it holds up, toppings and type of meat and cheese. And I am not looking for chips with yellow goo.

Road trip? Deberah Sutter of Nourish in Rehoboth has the best homemade nacho chips I've ever tasted -- golden light and crisp, but sturdy enough to hold up to a big scoop of her homemade guacamole. Not sure what oil she uses to fry those chips, but they are delicious. I'm sure she could recommend a cheese too, but they are really great all by themselves.

Nourish Specialty Foods & Catering -- http://www.nourishingidea.com/

christine

Although it has been a few years, I used to be a fan of the nachos at Austin Grill. My favorite was the kind with grilled vegetables. Now I'm craving them, too.

Unfortunately, if you go to Austin Grill and get nachos, you'll still be craving the nachos from Austin Grill of old. The past few years have not been kind to them.

I think there are two types of nachos: the first is a pile of chips with toppings, the other individual chips loaded and served in a single layer. Both are good, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Each have many many variations from type of chip, type and amount of toppings and where they are served as is, or run under the broiler for a while. I like mine hot, spicy and with some sort of smoked meat on them. Put them under the broiler to toast them up. That being said, Rio Grande in Bethesda is pretty good as is the Tortilla Factory in Herdon made with beans, Macha meat and cheese. I think Hard times had a good version as well, but it has been a long time since I have ordered them anywhere.

damn it, now I'm craving nachos!

Honestly, I prefer mine light on toppings, too much and they get weighed down, soggy etc. Give me some good chips, melted cheese and jalapenos, maybe a scattering of black beans...sour cream, salsa, and guac in ramekins on the side.

that said, the nachos at Rock Bottom Brewery in Denver looked darn tasty...so maybe check out Rock Bottom in the DC area.

I went to 3 Bar and Grill the other night, and while they don't have nachos, they do have potato chips with blue cheese and bacon that really hit the same note as nachos and were really good. Homemade potato chips, good blue cheese and big chunks of house smoked bacon. It really hit all the right nacho notes.

Still need to try the above suggestions, have been busy and traveling all over the place so I haven't been around a lot.

I'd love to find nachos that were great, but to be honest most specimens I've encountered absolutely suck. I'm a fan of the individually decorated chip as I think it provides consistency and avoids the "pile problem" When you get to the bottom of a pile you almost always encounter one of two things. Either a bunch of chips with hardly any condiments, or a puddle of oil, cheese and soggy cornmeal that has to be eaten with a fork. I think the best version I've had recently that tops each chip individually is at Los Tios in Del ray. They employ tortillas cut in half (full semi-circle) that are then topped with cheese, beans, and pickled jalapenos. Lettuce sour cream, salsa fresca, and guacamole are on the side. And yet even here the nachos are often soggy and flaccid.

I'm going out on a limb, and saying this thread is only a few lines deep after two months becuase in general, nachos have a tendency to stink. Which is a shame considering all the wonderful flavors they have the potential to bring together.

I know of exactly one plate of nachos that I would be willing to leave the house for. Unfortunately, these nachos live in Pikesville. However, if you're up that way, and you're looking for some great, casual mexican food, I recommend you try out Mari Luna Mexican Grill. The grilled chicken nachos here are of the "pile" variety, but the cheesey/chickeny goodness is layerd in the pile. To Scott's point, there's still kind of a greasy soggy mess when you get to the bottom of the plate...but this plate is so huge, few folks actually get to the bottom.

More info here

Hard Times Cafe's Nachos are a greasy mess, but I like them. Topped with Chili, Cheddar Cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, onions, and something else I can't recall.

I kind of like them too, and you can get them in a half order.

In my view, nachos suck inherently, rendering any quest for good ones a sadly futile undertaking.

Exceptional corn in the chips + Outstanding quality components on top at the right temperature = Futility Fading

Just kinda hard to find both in one place, hence this thread.

are you sure you don't work for them?? :(

I know! I hesitated to add this because y'all are going to think I live there. I'm a sucker for a bargain, and their HH specials are delicious and cheap.

Besides, Mr. MV always takes me to the best places :)

that's what I tell him when we dine at Costco

I will make a valiant plug for homemades, baked on a platter and topped with a cut up bird from SUPER POLLO. Mix of pepper jack and cheddar cheese with jalapenos, pintos, cilantro and fresh guac.. Better yet if you are able to score some of Guajillo's fiery salsa. Seriously some of the best nachos.

Any current favorites for nachos?

In my view, nachos suck inherently, rendering any quest for good ones a sadly futile undertaking.

damn it, now I'm craving nachos!

All three of the above.

What would it take to make great nachos? Homemade chips, quality cheese and toppings ... I'd love to know where they are. I've seen nachos quite a bit recently (most recently, *vegan* nachos in Falls Church at Native Foods Cafe (and boy oh boy, what a risky opening *this* is!)), but I haven't had any nachos that knocked my socks off (translation: "are worth the calories") in years, and would love to know where to find some. It can be done, but there's such a limited market for this that I wonder if it ever will exist, except as a cutesy part of a tasting menu.

• Like 2

Do not get the pulled pork nachos at Boxcar Tavern at Eastern Market.  I met a friend who pre-ordered them for me, knowing I love nachos and...ick.  Not good. There were a few pieces that might have been pulled something, but most of the discernible meat items were chunks of either chicken or pork.  These had multi-colored chips in a big pile with a bunch of other stuff, but I would go down the street either to Hawk 'n' Dove, which I don't care for anymore, or Ugly Mug, which I have a fondness for, and order the nachos there.  Either one. Even the Hawk, which is probably still the same ownership group as Boxcar (though I'm not sure).

• Like 1

Had the "cowboy nachos" at Capitol Lounge yesterday with a group.  Friends liked them more than I did, especially the seasoning, which seemed to involve cinnamon but also maybe cumin.  They were $9; menu description: "chili, cheddar-jack, tomatoes & fried onions with guacamole."  Multi-colored chips.

• Like 1

The nachos at The Brig on lower Barracks Row are not good.  Actually, they're more like bad.  Even if the too thick cardboard-y chips hadn't been cold/tepid, they would have struggled to get a passing grade. (Still, I loved the vibe of the space, even though I made someone's day worse by asking if the nachos could be heated up a bit.)

The ones I used to love at Ugly Mug were terrible last I got them--but that was late-ish last year after the renovation started, and I have no idea what they were using for a kitchen, as everything was very bare bones on that visit. I will try them again at some point . (I saw they had a sign out advertising them yesterday, but the renovation is still ongoing, so I'm wary.)

The nachos at the spruced up/revamped Mr. Henry's are the best I've had recently. I can't recall the specifics, as it was a few months ago, but they were a definite notch above any I'd had in a while and still hold that title months later.

The nachos at Buffalo Wild Wings (Half Street) are okay. The jalapeños are heavily applied and extremely hot. A tiny thimble of sour cream to help with the heat is 50 cents extra. These have the processed nacho cheese sauce instead of relying on melted cheese, but they are overall okay. I have discovered that I much prefer ordering their hot chile queso and chips.  It's like deconstructed nachos but without the searing heat of the pepper slices. And the ratio of chips to sauce is more reasonable that way, not to mention their chips are thin and crisp, wherever they source them from.

The nachos at The Big Stick (Half and M Streets, SE) are pretty good and $2 off at Happy Hour.  I got them without added meat. Bicolor chips with ranchero sauce, pico de gallo, pepper jack + mozzarella, sour cream, and guacamole.  Good balance of chips and toppings. Not a crazy huge amount of food but enough to be filling.  I hate ordering nachos by myself and either having to stuff myself senseless or leave a lot of food to go to waste, and this amount is just right.

Giving a shout-out to the dangerously awesome Totchos at Spacebar in Falls Church. They are cheese covered tater tots and you can add any toppings from the sandwich menu. Bacon is the bomb.

Cardiac paddles may be needed due to the fat content - but it's an ok way to go out.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to post in this thread about the amazing nachos I had at Mother's Cantina in Ocean City, in case any nacho lovers find themselves out that way. Here's what I wrote in the Ocean City thread:

The culinary highlight was probably Mother's Cantina..., where we had the best nachos I've had in recent memory and possibly ever. A huge portion of fresh chips appropriately covered in toppings (nary an untopped chip!), nicely melted and in places delightfully crispy cheese, chorizo admirably lacking in grease, and flavorful chicken. Somehow I also managed to eat the burrito combo (consisting of a burrito and an enchilada plus rice and beans). I really appreciated the deep flavors and their herb garden hanging in pouches against their outdoor back wall. My husband enjoyed his margarita, and I enjoyed my not too sweet sangria -- I could have drank a whole pitcher.

More cooking related, but I've found making your own nacho chips is super easy and makes for better nacho experience. Just get those corn tortillas from the Mexican store and then fry em in vegetable oil for about a minute. Better than store bought, hot and fresh... Most nachos here seriously suck. In Detroit, we have botanas... that's how you make nachos!!