eatdrinkmore

Shake Shack, A New York Hamburger Chain In Multiple Area Locations

Sorry, but Shake Shack's burgers are not overcooked; they're cooked medium to well-done, and lightly smashed on the griddle, which is obviously not a style that everyone loves. Nothing is par-cooked, by the way, as it is in some other well-know places.

Don't go expecting a half-pound behemoth that you can order medium- rare - ain't gonna happen. Shack burgers are 4 oz.., topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato and sauce on a griddled potato roll that is the proper size for a burger like this. In NYC at least, the blend contains chuck, brisket and short rib. This certainly isn't gonna knock the high-end burgers off their game, but it would be a nice alternative to the Five Guys, Good Food and their ilk.

There are also some very good Chicago-style hot dogs and the aforementioned fries as well. Beer and wine, too.

And the "concrete" is Danny Meyers' ode to St. Louis' Ted Drewes, frozen custard spun with add-ins of your choice. I prefer gelato.

Sorry, but Shake Shack's burgers are not overcooked; they're cooked medium to well-done, and lightly smashed on the griddle, which is obviously not a style that everyone loves.

I'm not sure there's a better word in the English language to describe burgers ordered medium that come out well-done. :(

My friends in Miami have been completely underwhelmed by the Shake Shack on Lincoln Road. It's doing well with the tourists, though. Maybe DC will be better.

My friends in Miami have been completely underwhelmed by the Shake Shack on Lincoln Road. It's doing well with the tourists, though. Maybe DC will be better.

Not that hard to understand, as I've seen and tasted what many Miamians hold in high regard.

Not that hard to understand, as I've seen and tasted what many Miamians hold in high regard.

Wow.*

Could it be possible that the offshoots are not as good as the original? That's usually the way it works with chains. To give a local example, the burgers I've had at Ray's The Classics have not been as good the at the original Hell Burger.

*(I will add that these friends almost never go to the Beach, because the parking is terrible and expensive, the drinks are overpriced, and the food is generally not worth the hype. YMMV)

Started a new topic because other topic locked for some reason. Anyway... I think this is fantastic. Shake Shack is better than Five Guys, BGR, Z Burger, or any place in DC. That said, I do worry whether the DC branch will be as good as NYC version but if they can pull it off, it is a red letter day for D.C. burgers. And finally some good shakes in Dupont!

I was told it opened, yesterday, but from what I see on the web it apparently opened today. Line at 1:30 wrapped around the 18th Street block almost to the entrance to Nando's. I happened to be going to Nando's, and asked if they were getting a lot of spillover from people who couldn't wait in line....yep!

My lunch wasn't long enough to wait on line, so someone else will have to be the guinea pig!

I guess it will be me then. Stopped by quickly at 11:15 because I had to head out to NoVa for a meeting. It was about a 30 min wait in line, 5 min wait for my food. My friend from NYC alerted me that its basically Five Guys, and honestly I'm inclined to agree. Its of that same style thin burger. I got the double shackburger which is two patties, american cheese, lettuce, tomato and special sauce. I asked for onions as well. I like the bun, and the veggie toppings were crisp and fresh. The burger itself was oversalted. The fries were crinkle cut yukon golds that I thought I would hate but were not bad. Crispier than I thought they would be. I still have a general dislike yukon gold fries in general.

Overall, I would call it a fancy Five Guys. Actually I like Five Guys better, more topping choices, better fries. I give Shake Shack the nod on the quality of the toppings they had, which are only raw onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and on the bun. It's more similar to In-N-Out burger, but In-N-Out is superior, from just having it in Las Vegas. Good burger, but I wouldn't wait in line for them again.

I'm looking forward to trying the DC version. I love the NY Shake Shack. It doesn't remind me of Five Guys at all. It reminds me of old school, midwestern Steak and Shake with a little Ted Drewes thrown in for good measure.

Waiting for the hype to blow over before venturing over...

Shake Shack is always described as a "roadside joint." I don't know. Does Madison Square Park in NY pop into your mind when you hear the term "roadside"? Strange marketing gimmick. Might as well call it a drive-in.

Shake Shack is always described as a "roadside joint." I don't know. Does Madison Square Park in NY pop into your mind when you hear the term "roadside"? Strange marketing gimmick. Might as well call it a drive-in.

Refer to Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Tackle Box, Surfside, Clare and Don's Beach Shack, Burger Joint, Red Hot and Blue, Hard Times Cafe, Silver Diner, Red Hook Lobster Pound, Buck's Fishing and Camping, Taqueria Nacional, Bayou Bakery, etc. B)

I was there on Tuesday night about an hour before closing since I was in the neighborhood. It was still packed and a full line. However since I was only ordering a black and white shake, really appreciated the "Cold Items" roped line which let me bypass the regular line. Still from waiting on my order and observing the counter and kitchen, things moved pretty quickly.

The Shack looks modern and the design fits well within that section of town. It felt like a slightly more upscale joint that Good Stuff eatery and Five Guys and is much more cleaner visually as there were no photographs of people on the wall. Even after 10 pm on a weeknight, the tables in the back room were all full.

Since I had eaten dinner earlier in the night, this was a shake trip only. I was a little surprised by the size of the shake, basically it's the same cup size as Potbelly's and perhaps that coloured my impression of the taste in a negative way. Still, the shake just tasted rather bland.

The comparison to Steak and Shake is a good one, as is the poor man's version of In-N-Out (another place I find terribly overrated). I wasn't excited when I heard the news that this place was opening in DC, and I wasn't excited by my double shackburger a couple nights ago. Fast food, thin patty burgers that aren't Good-Stuff-greasy but knocking on that door. Terrible fries, very good milkshake (although I'm not sure I've ever met a milkshake I didn't like).

Meh. Another place where you will have to wait 30-45 minutes in line for a mediocre product while restaurants like Mark & Orlando's right down the street go out of business for offering the same main food item for a few dollars more and a few hundred times the quality but inferior marketing. I don't get it.

Just had lunch there today.

I'd say the burgers were on par with Five Guys. Same style certainly, a little saltier, but juicy and tasty.

The shake was good, but nothing exciting.

The fries were dull and underwhelming.

Not much else to say really...it's better than the Fuddruckers that it replaced, but all in all I'd go to Five Guys instead if given the choice.

The comparison to Steak and Shake is a good one, as is the poor man's version of In-N-Out (another place I find terribly overrated). I wasn't excited when I heard the news that this place was opening in DC, and I wasn't excited by my double shackburger a couple nights ago. Fast food, thin patty burgers that aren't Good-Stuff-greasy but knocking on that door. Terrible fries, very good milkshake (although I'm not sure I've ever met a milkshake I didn't like).

Meh. Another place where you will have to wait 30-45 minutes in line for a mediocre product while restaurants like Mark & Orlando's right down the street go out of business for offering the same main food item for a few dollars more and a few hundred times the quality but inferior marketing. I don't get it.

I was walking nearby and noticed the line wasn't as long today at about 12:20, so I decided to give it a try, as I've heard that the line moves pretty quickly. Not sure when you went that you waited 30-45 minutes, but at prime lunchtime I was on line for maybe 15 minutes max, with a short wait for the food once ordered. Even after sitting to eat outside, I was back at my office before the hour was up. I was really impressed by how quickly they get people in and out, especially when you have a lot of individuals asking questions because they are new to the restaurant.

I ordered a plain burger with lettuce and tomato, and topped it with ketchup. I would not classify my burger in any way as a "fast food thin patty." I noted that it was thicker than Five Guys with more grill flavor, and quite juicy to boot. My only complaint was that it was a bit too salty once I got to the end where the edges were a bit thinner. I agree with other posters that the potato bun was quite good as well. All in all, if I'm in the area and there is not a wait and I'm hankering for a burger, I might go here to get it. It's certainly difficult to beat the price.

The fries: I confess that I am a crinkle fry lover. These were nice and crispy with pretty good flavor, even after sitting about a bit as I brought half of them back to my office to share with a coworker; the coworker was more impressed with them than was I. But now that I've had them once, I probably won't waste the calories on them as I'd much rather order what I had for dessert.. And in comparison with Five Guys, the advantage here is that they are not fried in Peanut Oil, for those who are sensitive or allergic to peanuts. Point Shake Shack.

Let me point out that while waiting in line, they brought samples of the custard in vanilla and chocolate flavors. I was able to taste both, and was not impressed. Both left a sweet odd aftertaste that was not desirable in the least. I had noted that the special custard of the day was the "thin mint" custard, modeled after the Girl Scout cookie of the same name. This is my weakness. So even though I wasn't enamored with the samples, I decided to try it out.. This flavor was exceptional, and worth going back for. Seriously.

So all in all, if one is allergic to peanuts, it's nice to have an alternate place to get a quick tasty burger. And if you like thin mints, it's worth it to find out what day they'll be dishing the flavor as it's only once a week. B)

ETA one more thing...I know people who wait on line for the lobster truck longer than it took to get my burger today.

I guess I'm in a small minority on this board, but I LOVE the Shake Shack burgers. At the burger bash at the South Beach Food and Wine fest this past February, there were 29 restaurants offering burgers. I tasted 26 of them, and while Shake Shack's did not approach those offered by Michael White or Michael Symon or Marc Murphy (my 3 faves), they were certainly in my next favorite grouping. They are infinitely better than Five Guys or In and Out. They will not make you forsake Ray's, Palena, and the like, but they are, for me, the very best of their genre. The crinkle cut fries, though not as much to my liking as the fries at Five Guys or Central, were good. I did not expect to like them much, but they were crispy and tasty. And I also enjoyed the Chicago dog - no, its not Wieners Circle, Flukys, Hot Dougs, etc., but it was as good as any Chicago style dog I have tasted in DC. The space is lovely - great workmanship, materials and attention to detail. Hey, I won't wait 10 minutes for a Red Hook lobster roll, which is as good as any I have ever had, so I won't stand on line at Shake Shack for any extended period. But there will be times when there is no long line and at those times I will be grateful to have it as an option.