DonRocks   
16 minutes ago, Dr. Delicious said:

Cafe des Abattoirs: A small restaurant near the Opera area, where we stayed. They specialize in beef, and we had a good steak, tho seeing what others got, we could have had a great steak (which, to us, means a leaner cut) if we ordered better.

Great post, Doc - you probably already know this, but abattoir means "slaughterhouse" in French. (I'll delete my post in a day or two, because yours was the last on the previous page, and I want yours to get the attention because it was exceptional - I promise to safeguard it, so if you want to refer to it in the future, it will be here.)

Pool Boy   

I cannot believe I have not written up our trip to Paris from this past October, I will have to fix that soon. Pirouette was one of our favorite meals of a trip FULL OF great meals. It set the bar really, really high because we dined there our first night. So.Damn.Good.

On 1/21/2016 at 9:17 AM, Dr. Delicious said:

This is all well and good, but where should I eat?

:P

More seriously, I will add that these places from earlier posts strike me as most promising:

Sola

Septime

Pirouette

Restaurant David Toutain

Frenchie

Le Bistro Paul Bert

Juveniles

Though, I'm concerned that I will not be able to get reservations at most of them, given their popularity. Also, it seems that most only accept reservations a few weeks out, which is unfortunate.

"‹ETA: Another thing that struck me as odd was that many of these places are closed on Saturday.

I'd add Kitchen Galerie Bis - bistro of Ze Kitchen Galerie, wonderful food, much easier to get into.

I liked Pirouette but didn't love it.

Rieux   

Any suggestions on where I should spend New Year's eve in Paris?  Headed for about a week over New Year's.  Happy for other recent suggestions too.  Is lunch at Jules Verne worth it???

Keithstg   
On 10/22/2016 at 8:31 AM, Rieux said:

Any suggestions on where I should spend New Year's eve in Paris?  Headed for about a week over New Year's.  Happy for other recent suggestions too.  Is lunch at Jules Verne worth it???

I've had lunch at Jules Verne a few times - most recently about 5 years ago, so take this with a grain of salt...the views are obviously incredible and food and wine list are very good. That said, if you want a michelin starred lunch and not just the view, I'd try one of the other classic one/ two stars - like Tour d'Argent (which also has its detractors) or Taillevent.

• Like 1

Rieux   

Anyone with recommendations for what to do on New Year's eve and New Year's Day?  Open to anything from restaurants to cabaret to a classical concert, etc. on NYE.  I assume many places will be closed on the 1st so we may just walk around, or go to the few museums open, or even day trip to Chartres.

I've traveled a lot, but have very very very little experience in France, so really hoping some France experts come through here!  Also, still looking for gems in Normandy.  

Rieux   

Any thoughts on the following places?

Benoit (Worth it?  Lunch or splurge for dinner?)

La Coupole (I have heard it has gone way, way downhill from the glory days)

La Cordonnerie

Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie?

Paul Bert

Pierrot

Le Richer

3 hours ago, Rieux said:

La Cordonnerie

Paul Bert

Pierrot

Le Richer

La Coupole has been awful for quite a while. I had a terrible dinner there 10 or so years ago. Surly, inattentive service. Blah food. Lovely, historic setting. The weirdest part was them blinking the dining room lights while a gang of waiters went to a table to sing happy birthday to a customer. Also hilarious, when you walk in, the maitre d' doesn't ask your name for the waiting list, he gives you a card with a composer's name on it. All night he was yelling "Scarlatti, BEE-thoven, Mozart". It was silly and expensive.

Pool Boy   
On 11/2/2016 at 11:51 AM, Rieux said:

La Cordonnerie

Paul Bert

Pierrot

Le Richer

We went to Benoit for dinner a year ago. Good, but slightly brusque service. Really great food all around. I'd splurge. But honestly, have you considered Pirouette? If not, you should.

Rieux   

I never wrote up our Paris trip in January.  I got around to writing about Normandy in the France thread, but left out Paris!

It's been a while, but here are my reflections:

La Bourse et la Vie:  Daniel Rose's casual bistro.  Small, excellent service.  I recall loving a scallop appetizer, having better than average steak frite, and really knowledgeable wine/beverage service.  Fun, would go if nearby, but not a "must eat".

We had reservations at Daniel Rose's Spring for New Year's Eve, but, unfortunately, a week before they had a water leak and had to close the restaurant.  They happily transferred us to his other restaurant Chez La Vieille, nearby, giving us table and time preference.  This very small, very old, very storied restaurant has a first floor bar and counter out of a painting. We were greeted with excellent champagne, and eventually made our way up the apartment staircase (you go through the apartment staircase and hall to get upstairs, the kitchen is a small cubby off the hallway) to the jewel box of the second floor, with 5 tables, purple walls, and a retro 60's mod French feel.  Dinner was several courses.  I remember excellent foie, briny oysters, a delightful blaquette du veau, good desserts, great pairings.  The star of the show was the cheese course with truffles, which I am still dreaming about.  It was a good meal, not very expensive ($130 total including wines pp), and fun.  Afterward we walked over to Notre Dame to hear the bells toll midnight.

Another highlight was dinner at Rimal, a large, bright Lebanese restaurant.  It is sophisticated inside, we went on New Year's day so it was full of local Lebanese and Syrian families.  The huge assortment of mezze we ordered were fantastic, as was the bread, and the wine.  I really enjoyed this restaurant.

The best meal of our trip, and one of the best of my life, was at Frenchie.  We were lucky enough 1) to get a reservation, and 2) to get there first, so we had our pick of tables.  We chose to sit at the two stools next to the kitchen, the only seats with a view of the cooking.  I can't recall all the courses or wines, but, seriously, everything was amazing, the service spectacular, informal, and fun, and the wine pairings superb.  I thought it a bargain for $150 pp including wine pairings.  The hype is true.  If you can get a reservation, go.  

• Like 3

Pool Boy   
On 6/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, Pool Boy said:

I cannot believe I have not written up our trip to Paris from this past October, I will have to fix that soon. Pirouette was one of our favorite meals of a trip FULL OF great meals. It set the bar really, really high because we dined there our first night. So.Damn.Good.

I still haven't posted about our trip, but the NYC Buvette thread had me looking at our photos and here's a tease for one of the best things we had in Paris. OK, here's two.

25943431760_d3c961e9aa_k.jpg

25594826873_ac4889fbc0_k.jpg

Pool Boy   
On 6/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, Pool Boy said:

Pirouette was the place we had dinner our first night in paris now almost two years ago. It did indeed set the bar very, very high. They brought us the chalkboard menu (in English) and we had a great meal here - pretty casual place and glad we got in - it helped that it was our first night because we dined somewhat early (maybe 6:30 or 7pm - i know, horrors!) as we were getting close to crashing and burning. Pictures included over two posts because of the 2MB limit and I can't figure out how to make them even smaller - sorry DR!

The salumi sampler was kicked up with the addition of extra pepper and spice. Nice.
The beef tongue tartlet was magnificent, but the autumn truffle over black rice and smoked duck beat it and everything else we had here that evening. So good!

The trout was excellent and beautiful and delicious. The partridge with the foie gras was rich and exceptional, if not visually amazing. If you like this sort of thing as much as I do, you'd love this.

The figs (next post) with white chocolate and ice cream was wonderful, but the ossau iraty cheese, cut to look like a cheesecake, top shellacked with black cherry jam and a small termite pile of spice to experiment with was stunning. I dream of it.

If you are in Paris and you want an excellent meal for a not too shabby price I might add, go here - you will not be disappointed.

22481558069_5f6d538b43_k.jpg

22455409388_10cb469634_k.jpg

22481578269_f72ab6b833_k.jpg

22685742590_2bae5a9dd0_k.jpg

22481578859_a6abc1941f_k.jpg

Pool Boy   

We had a late lunch the next day at a local joint (Le Rubis) that was not really prepared for a proper lunch for us anymore, but they dropped down this wonderful board of goodness. He asked if we were American and after confirming he says 'Now you are French!'. Fun!

22880073395_a68a8b66b1_k.jpg

Pool Boy   

We also went to Benoit. Great meal. Service appropriately brusque but professional and exceptional food. Tiny tables!

Beef tongue 'terrine'

Foie gras with fig and roasted lettuce

Sole over barely creamed spinach and an amazing sauce

Sweetbreads, kidneys, cockscombs, tiny mushrooms, lardons, and a bit of pasta. And the sauce! (Me in a dish.)

Iced citrus soufflee. With grand marnier drizzled in it. (I mean this had a tiny core of soufflee and surrounded by citrus ice cream and the soufflee topped with zest. A triumph.)

A classic vanilla millefeuille

25584737284_1befec97f5_z.jpg

25586831283_8405e5fe91_z.jpg

26123174671_91c72248fb_k.jpg

26123173541_b7fef5bbf1_k.jpg

25916631850_5eee3e6ecd_k.jpg

26123171521_ef8fb12eda_k.jpg