Dinner near FedEx Field - Landover, on the Outskirts of Raljon

I'm sure this is probably covered somewhere else, but I couldn't locate it. I will be attending the PSU game at FedEx field on Saturday, November 20th! (Go State!) I would like to have diner afterwards with several other couples. We are all going to be in separate cars. Since most of these folks are not from the area, it would be nice to pick somethign that's within a 10-minute drive. These are old friends I haven't seen in a while, so I'm looking for someplace with a noise level that allows for conversation where we would be welcome to occupy the table for a while on a Saturday night. Any ideas?

I'm sure this is probably covered somewhere else, but I couldn't locate it. I will be attending the PSU game at FedEx field on Saturday, November 20th! (Go State!) I would like to have diner afterwards with several other couples. We are all going to be in separate cars. Since most of these folks are not from the area, it would be nice to pick somethign that's within a 10-minute drive. These are old friends I haven't seen in a while, so I'm looking for someplace with a noise level that allows for conversation where we would be welcome to occupy the table for a while on a Saturday night. Any ideas?

The thread on it is here. There's a topic in the Restaurants forum called "Where Do I Find It?" that indexes all the geographical topics, in case you're curious (of course, if an area isn't covered anywhere on the board, it won't be in that list). :)

Thanks Leleboo. I did find that thread AFTER I posted my question.

But, since there's only one actual suggestion on that thread and lots of traffic laments, I'll still ask for additional recommendations...

Rays at East River may or may not meet your relatively quiet and able to linger criteria, but I think that's where I'd go before or after a trip to FedEx. Not a lot in terms of dining around there, which is one of the major disadvantages of the decision to locate the stadium there.

[Bumping this thread]

It's been quite a few years since this anyone added on to this convo. I'm going to be at and around FedEx fairly often over the next several months, so hoping folks have some updated food options!

Any improvement to the area's dining? I noticed, unfortunately, KBQ and Ray's at East River are closed. Jerry's Seafood still open but a little further out. There's a Wegman's very nearby now: is takeout from there my best option? I'd be okay with that. Ideally there's some other fast-casual/moderately-paced service places, but honestly I'd take anything promising.

On 5/9/2018 at 4:37 PM, saxdrop said:

[Bumping this thread]

It's been quite a few years since this anyone added on to this convo. I'm going to be at and around FedEx fairly often over the next several months, so hoping folks have some updated food options!

Any improvement to the area's dining? I noticed, unfortunately, KBQ and Ray's at East River are closed. Jerry's Seafood still open but a little further out. There's a Wegman's very nearby now: is takeout from there my best option? I'd be okay with that. Ideally there's some other fast-casual/moderately-paced service places, but honestly I'd take anything promising.

Mr. Mayor,

This is for you - dining at Fed Ex field.

As my momma used to say, Rotsa Ruck.

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Mr. Mayor,

This is for you - dining at Fed Ex field.

As my momma used to say, Rotsa Ruck.

Appreciate the gesture Don, but, uh.... The closest restaurant on this list of dining "near" FedEx is 11 miles away, easily over 30 mins drive. The furthest is over 20 miles! (in Bethesda). This isn't so much a list of dining around FedEx, by a "Washington local expert,"  as it's a grab bag of general "greater Washington area" spots.

I'd say Wegman's might be your best bet, unless you stop off in Greenbelt (Gus's sounds like a good suggestion) or Laurel (Pasta Plus seems to still be going strong, but I haven't been there in ages; thread here.  They have carryout and a market as well as the sit down restaurant.)

57 minutes ago, saxdrop said:

Appreciate the gesture Don, but, uh.... The closest restaurant on this list of dining "near" FedEx is 11 miles away, easily over 30 mins drive. The furthest is over 20 miles! (in Bethesda). This isn't so much a list of dining around FedEx, by a "Washington local expert,"  as it's a grab bag of general "greater Washington area" spots.

Where are you traveling from? Are you parking on site or trying to take Metro or something else? How much time do you have pre-event? 

FedEx isn't Cap One Arena or Nats Park or The Anthem or other spots where you just pop in somewhere for a meal before an event. FedEx consumes your life for hours before and after the show/game. If you're parking in the FedEx lots grab Gus's or Popeyes fried chicken on the way and tailgate. Or maybe the Carolina Kitchen in Largo is passable? 

Other options further afield depending on travel and route -- stopping in Hyattsville (Pizzeria Paradiso, etc) then 410 over to Landover or even something on Capitol Hill if going via Metro (leave a lot of time for train and the mile walk to FedEx property from Morgan Blvd station). 

7 minutes ago, Kev29 said:

Where are you traveling from? 

You know, for some reason I was assuming this was for someone coming from the North. Coming from the southern side, in addition to all of Capitol Hill, there's there's that 3 Brothers on Kenilworth/295.

Thanks guys for all the recs! Haven't had a chance to swing by Gus's but I definitely will in the next few weeks.

I guess I should clarify the circumstances of my visits. I have a standing Wednesday evening and occasional Saturday midday/afternoon comitment at the stadium - in other words, NON game day whatnot. I'm familiar with the "FedEx consumes your life for hours before and after the show/game"  scenario but fortunately that's not this. I'm typically coming from the Capitol Hill area and return to Arlington by car. Basically I generally have up to one hour (though often less) around the 630-730pm-ish window to kill for dinner. once/week in that area. 

Also about 5-miles away (north/west of FedEx) is location #2 of Taqueria 3 Reyes, 8500 Annapolis Rd, New Carrollton, MD 20784 - DR Thread here. It's located just inside the Beltway in a curved row of shops between Annapolis Road and the Metro Points Hotel. It's one of the better real-Mex mini-chains and easier to hit than others in Riverdale/Hyattsville. Maybe calling in your order ahead (301-918-4848) will make this option fit within your time window.  First page of the menu here: http://taqueriatresreyes.com/menu1.html

7 hours ago, saxdrop said:

It wasn't too helpful, was it. 😕

It isn't close, but I went to Yia-Yia's on Route 1 in Beltsville on Tuesday - I can't say I recommend it, although there were a *lot* of people there, and it took forever to get my food. The skewer of pork looked homemade; the two skewers of lamb looked like mush (which doesn't mean they weren't homemade; it just means they looked like mush, but then again so does most kibbee nayeh).

I had the "life-changing pork gyro," which is served Primanti Bros.-style, and the only thing it changed about my life is that it made me thirsty and reek of garlic.

Been able to try a couple of the recs on this thread (thanks again gang!):

• Taqueria 3 Reyes -- I need to revisit to sample more of the menu, but of what I've tried so far the tacos (natch) are far superior to the tortas (which are nonetheless a big part of the menu, seemingly a feature) and the beef (ground, lengua, et al) better than other proteins. Great value; can make a very filling meal (or two) for less than $10.  They seem to fire as much as possible to order but one can still get in and out fairy quickly if you don't hit a rush.
  • Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken - The two piece dark plate (thigh/leg + 2 sides; I did baked beans and slaw) is $8.45. It's a fair price for what you get - portions aren't skimpy nor plentiful. Chicken clearly being fried on-the-go. It came out at a perfect temp to eat, and as others have noted incredibly crispy, not an ounce of excess grease, and seemingly light. Excellent southern fried chicken. But....several folks noted it's a spicy chicken, so what did I miss? It wasn't the least bit spicy, and I don't mean in the "you call that HOT? That's not HOT!" one-upping way, I mean in that if someone had handed me the plate blind, I would have never thought to describe any spice. Which is not to say it wasn't flavorful bc it was. They even threw in packets of Crystal Hot Sauce. Am I crazy?

Just Jerk is next on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1