Pool Boy   

Rehoboth

Porcini House - Went for brunch. Eggs Benedict 2 ways and really quite good Bloody Marys.
3492954788_f0809af695.jpg
3492954744_c76cef3ec4.jpg

Espuma -- Still the best of the lot out there. We were going for interesting and got lobster night. Butter poached ad grilled with 8 accompaniments that were all good and some outstanding.
3492136367_0057f49191.jpg
3492136327_266459dbe9.jpg
3492136279_7ca25a46e1.jpg
3492954016_d6757d5d19.jpg

Pool Boy   

Rehoboth

Just FYI, when we were there a few weeks ago, it looks like Fusion has been closed and being re-invented as Salt Air. A new restaurant by Jonathan Spivak and others. Read on about it here.

To me, the menu looks like a dumbing down of what is offered (plus an awful lot of non-seafood, for a place called Salt Air) and an appeal to 'families' (kids menu????!).

It'll be worth a try just to see how it goes when I am there next....

Pool Boy   

Rehoboth

Another year and another trip to Espuma. Tried a different preparation of lobster this year...butter boached on top of some really excellent cous cous and some drizzled sauces of fennel, harissa and a tiny bit of balsamic. It worked and was delicious. Starters included a bacon tart (wow) and also a dish involving crispy mussels (delicious). Desserts involved a muffin/biscuit (somewhat savory) paired with nice strawberries and a little salt and basil ice cream as well as a napoleon involving chocolate, banana and I think peanut butter. A very good meal (the Patz & Hall chardonnay was way too oaky for me).

Gus & Gus also delivered for great boardwalk food, as always. Made for a nice lunch.

Of note it seems that the Greene Turtle is moving in to space right on or above the boardwalk.

Also, Nicola Pizza has massively expanded on to their existing space by taking what I think is a connected behind the scenes connection to a large two story building right on Rehoboth Avenue. It's huge.

Lewes

The Surfing Crab at 16723 Coastal Highway, just north of Lewes, is a friendly place worth checking out. I ate at the bar there last weekend and had a good $15 grilled tuna caesar salad. Good sized portion, fresh ingredients, I'd go back. They also were offering Smith Island cake which was chocolate cake with white frosting and that was a winner also. The big draw seems to be their all you can eat crab dinner. Its a casual place with picnic tables in a very clean air conditioned space.

Lewes

I enjoyed a large sandwich of homemade bread, fresh mozzarela and imported italian meats at Touch of Italy Salumeria & Pasticceria (33A Baltimore Ave). When you walk in it looks like they just sell deli meats, cheeses, pasta, and Italian cookes to go, but they actually make several sandwiches. As you walk in the door there's a narrow sign advertising the sandwiches right in front ofand above you. Don't just look there though. Turn around and look above the door and you'll see about 8 more sandwich options. I didn't notice this sign until I was walking out. There were at least 3 more sandwiches I would have tried from that list. They have a paper takeout menu that lists all these sandwiches, too. I talked to one of the owners on the way outside and he said the family is from New York and is trying to create a authentic Italian experience. I'll definitely be back there.

Another "secret" that locals seem to mostly know about is that Grub Grocery (owned by the Cultured Pearl owners) does daily lunch specials like Roast leg of lamb and 2 heaping sides for around 7 bucks. easily worth the price.

sheldman   

Rehoboth

Tuesday afternoons in the park behind the Rehoboth Visitors Center (just west of the traffic circle) - a nice farmers market with sandwiches, ice cream, etc, along with good-looking produce. I had never been to this market until today. Check it out if you are in town for a few days.

brr   

Does anyone know a good source of live crabs in the Rehoboth beach area?

TedE   

Rehoboth

Does anyone know a good source of live crabs in the Rehoboth beach area?

Hope this isn't too late. I think Jimmie Lynn's up Rte 1 towards the Lewes turn off sells live by the bushel. I know for a fact that Rehoboth Seafood market at the 1/1A split does, but I've been less impressed with their product in the last few years. You could also try Ed's in Dewey and see if they will sell them unsteamed. Aside from that most of the places I know are a decent drive away (mostly down towards OC where there are lots of options).

Rehoboth

Don't know if it is still there but there used to be a wing place a few doors down from Nicolas. Of course, a nic-o-boli is the best absorbent there is. Also the take away fish and chips place on Rehoboth Ave half a block or so below the beach.

There's always Hooters on Rehoboth Ave but I know you would never go there.

Fenwick; Bethany

We are in DE regularly and like to try new places. We just tried the Lobster Shanty in Fenwick which is owned by the folks at Nantucket, also in Fenwick Island. Also recently tried Off the
Hook, a new seafood restaurant in Bethany Beach. Both are recommended, but unfortunately neither take reservations so you have to time it right.

Waitman   

Rehoboth

Wanted to like Espuma -- the people were so nice, we were so tired of chicken wings and pizza. But the food felt uninspired, and at beach prices I wish I'd saved my money for a decent night out back in town. Decent deckle, OK lamb and cous cous and a dry "Three Day Pork."

Alas.

​Bethany, Rehoboth

We really liked our dinner at Salt Air in Rehoboth. Both appetizers that we had were only average, but the entrees were great across the board, especially the roast chicken and any simply prepared fish that we got. The cocktail list was fine, although it was tough to find a non-sweet drink on it, but the wine list needed some work. Our server was nice, but flustered at times, he really didn't know the menu very well. I figure that he was new or just not personally any good, the rest of the wait staff seemed to be on top of their game.

We also enjoyed dinner at Patsy's in Bethany. Again, fish preparations were great, portions were large and the service was fantastic. We didn't even look at the wine list, it was our last night there and we were done drinking, so I can't speak to that. Prices were pretty high - they must make a killing because it was packed - but I didn't feel like it was a bad value for the money.

Fenwick; Rehoboth

I was down at Fenwick Island last weekend for my annual boys trip with friends from grad school.

We went to Touch of Italy in Rehoboth for lunch before going on the Dogfish Head Brewery tour. Their sandwiches were delicious- had the No. 2 - hot capicolla, handmade mozzarella and sun dried peppers. They also bake their own Italian bread.
pics

We had crabs at Fenwick Crab house- decent, good beer selection. Their crabcake was something to be desired. To make up for it, we had the delicious crabcakes from the Crabcake Factory in OC.

Another evening, after drinks at the House of Welsh (very old school place), we had the fantastic Quahog Chowdah at Nantuckets as well as some delicious PEI mussels with basil pesto garlic and white wine sauce.
pics

brr   

Rehoboth

That was exactly our experience. Some decent cocktails and pleasant quirky staff. But the entrees were very mediocre with the 3 day pork and the paella in particular featuring borderline toxic levels of salt. We beat it before dessrt and it was still $150 per couple.....

By contrast we had a very pleasant lunch at the Summer House one day - nothing fancy, just decent food prepared well

Decent crabs from Jimmy Lynns (thanks TedE)

lots and lots of great beer from Dogfish

Wanted to like Espuma -- the people were so nice, we were so tired of chicken wings and pizza. But the food felt uninspired, and at beach prices I wish I'd saved my money for a decent night out back in town. Decent deckle, OK lamb and cous cous and a dry "Three Day Pork."

Alas.

Mrs. B   

Rehoboth

That was exactly our experience. Some decent cocktails and pleasant quirky staff. But the entrees were very mediocre with the 3 day pork and the paella in particular featuring borderline toxic levels of salt.

I had the same experience with the salt level in the paella, next time I should man-up and say something I suppose. huh.gif The staff was lovely.

Rehoboth

We just returned from a wonderful Columbus day weekend at Rehoboth. Can’t beat wall-to-wall sun and 80F weather in October!
We always like to take our dog – so we like the patio at DogfishHead – for the beer, and the friendly staff who welcome our Border Collie. The food is less inspiring but passable for lunch. Saturday night we attempted to get into Salt Air but they were jammed by 7PM and already had a 90 minute wait (they don’t do reservations). We wound up at Cultured Pearl for Sushi and had a wonderful appetizer of Hamachi collar. We returned to Salt Air on Sunday and we were able to get a table with minimum wait. But that is not all – Sunday evening is $19 for any 3 courses off their menu !!!! Even on a 3 day weekend! Food was good and service was good and a reasonable wine list to boot.
The stand out of the weekend was the new place next to Salt Air – Henlopen City Oyster House. Great selection of fresh and briny Oysters, steamed clams and shrimp, and a fantastic selection of beers. They had an impeccably kept CASK Hop Devil, a dark, wood-aged beer from the new, local brewery Evolution as well as the DogfishHead “Bitches Brew” that even the DFH pub had run out of. The friendly and knowledgeable staff great oysters and beer make this a place to which we will definitely return. Soon.

Rehoboth

We've been going to Rehoboth for 30+ years; for the last 2 of those our absolute favorite restaurant there is Lupo di Mare in the Hotel Rehoboth, on Rehoboth Ave not far from Lingo's Realty but on the opposite side of the street. The chef here has magic in his fingers... everything just comes out great, even standard Italian fare is raised to a higher level. Prices are typical for Rehoboth but seem less because of the quantity and quality of what you get. I always have enough for lunch the next day. My favorite app is the fresh figs stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped in prosciutto, grilled and drizzled with a good balsamico... Ab-Fab! Also the grilled octopus is delicious. Very authentic, typical food that you would find in Italy, where we spent this past summer. We also like the Back Porch, Eden, and Pig & Fish. Not wild about Dogfish, we have found the food to be dull and the wait to be long. Also underwhelmed by Espuma, thought it was overpriced every time we've gone although we liked the food (not loved). Can't wait to go to Henlopen City Oyster House based on the recommendation above, we'll try it this weekend!

lmnop   

Rehoboth

We've been going to Rehoboth for 30+ years; for the last 2 of those our absolute favorite restaurant there is Lupo di Mare in the Hotel Rehoboth, on Rehoboth Ave not far from Lingo's Realty but on the opposite side of the street. The chef here has magic in his fingers... everything just comes out great, even standard Italian fare is raised to a higher level. Prices are typical for Rehoboth but seem less because of the quantity and quality of what you get. I always have enough for lunch the next day. My favorite app is the fresh figs stuffed with gorgonzola, wrapped in prosciutto, grilled and drizzled with a good balsamico... Ab-Fab! Also the grilled octopus is delicious. Very authentic, typical food that you would find in Italy, where we spent this past summer. We also like the Back Porch, Eden, and Pig & Fish. Not wild about Dogfish, we have found the food to be dull and the wait to be long. Also underwhelmed by Espuma, thought it was overpriced every time we've gone although we liked the food (not loved). Can't wait to go to Henlopen City Oyster House based on the recommendation above, we'll try it this weekend!

We also love Lupo di Mare. We eat there almost every time we're at the beach. Last weekend we decided to check out a few places in Lewes for the first time and really enjoyed Kindle and Fish On. Fish On is owned by the same group that owns Lupo di Mare. It was definitely worth the short drive to Lewes from Rehoboth. My husband loves mussels and orders them nearly everywhere we go and their version was especially enjoyable due to the spicy broth. I tried the steamed shrimp and scallop dumplings and while the flavor was good, I found the wrappers to be a bit limp and slimy for my taste. I had a crab pasta special for my main and my husband had the night's biggest winner with the pan roasted salmon. It has a sherry maple glaze that seemed like it would be too sweet, but it wasn't at all and the salmon was perfectly cooked. I would definitely order that the next time we're there.

Rehoboth

Had a very nice dinner at Lupo di Mare. BTW, what does Lupo di Mare mean? Wolf of the sea or catfish? I was a tad disappointed that they didn't have razor clams or lobster bruschetta. Instead, we had some excellent grilled artichoke and some interesting shaved Brussels sprouts drizzled with truffle oil. My spaghetti with clam sauce was pretty good as was my wife's sausage and red pepper linguine. The side of boccoli rabe; however, was a mess of overcooked greens without much other flavors.

Pool Boy   

Rehoboth

Went last weekend, hit up Espuma again -- great meal.

Wanted to get to Cultured Pearl also this year, but decided to head out early to head back home.

I'd heard rumors that Porcini House had closed, but it was clearly open when we walked on by.

stilgar   

Dewey

Just back from a long weekend in Dewey. I will have to say that The Cultured Pearl is a must for anyone going to the Rehoboth area.

Rehoboth

Kliman's quick rundown from his chat:

* Salt Air Kitchen. I think this is the best place at the beach, right now, for a good and relaxing dinner out. The dishes are built with local produce and, often, local fishes and meats, and the kitchen is smart to get out of the way and not fuss too much with the bounty.

* Espuma. More creative cooking, with hits and misses. I've had terrific dishes here, and some not-so, but I don't think I've ever left here feeling disappointed. And sometimes, I've left quietly elated.

* Nage. Better than the DC location. A vast array of wines available in small pours, and the cooking, when it's on, can be very good. Creative comfort food.

* Eden. I like it best for composing a meal of small plates. Good grilled things. The wine list isn't gouging, and there are some interesting picks.

* Northeast Seafood Kitchen, in Bethany. Focus on the top half of the menu, like the fried Ipswich clams. The rewards aren't as great when it comes to the bigger plates. And save room for the chocolate cake with a pitcher of chocolate sauce.

* Cafe Azafran, Lewes, for tapas. Cozy setting, very inviting, and the cooking, while not exacting as you might like, is generally very satisfying.

* Kindle, in Lewes. I like that it doesn't try too hard. Uncomplicated, uncluttered plates, and it generally pulls off what it attempts. Steak tartare, steak frites. At lunch, an excellent BLT with avocado.

* Bethany Blues BBQ. Pretty prefab, and service is scattered, but I like the ribs. And I like the long list of bourbons.

* Casapulla South. Superlative hoagies. Even the tuna fish hoagie is fantastic.

* Louie's. For pizza by the slice only. Make it pepperoni.

Rehoboth

Based on this thread, we booked a table at Salt Air Kitchen last night. I was a little worried because they've been getting a lot of disappointed reviews on Yelp and CH, but we figured we'd give them a chance. I started worrying when we showed up for our 6:30 reservation. Henlopen Oyster next door had a line out the door, and Salt Air was only 30% full. Right away they told us that they were a little behind and we ought to wait at the bar. We thought this was odd as they seemed slow. We enjoyed some drinks at the bar, and after 15 min we were seated.
We decided to get a bunch of appetizers first to share. These came out shortly and they were pretty good: pinchos with chorizo, figs, house canned sardines, quail with sunchokes, watermelon salas, and a great lump crab dip.
At this point it was a good experience, but then the night then turned sour.
First, our wait time between starters and entrees was about an hour. We had three different people come by saying it was going to be just a few minutes. They all asked if they could bring anything for us. We just wanted our food.
When the entrees arrived, I had ordered a half roasted chicken. It looked beautiful on the plate, but I was a little worried when it did not come apart easily with my knife. Right away, I pulled the leg, and noticed redness and red blood in between muscle fibers. I'm comfortable with a little pink or blood stains in my chicken, and so was one of my dining companions who is a great cook, so I asked the waiter to come check on this plate. Immediately he was very defensive, and he said that because the bird was brined this was normal. He then walked away. I had to get him a second time, and I asked him to send the chicken back. He did so, but then he returned and told me to speak with the chef-owner on my way out so he could explain the blood. He said we were still wrong about the chicken.
My tablemates all enjoyed their food, but everyone was frustrated with the service. The swordfish was good, the crab cakes were mostly backfin but were ok. When they all finished, I did not have my chicken, so I asked the waiter, after having to get up to find him to just cancel the chicken.
This then started an odyssey with the bill which had to be corrected three times to remove the chicken and then fix the 20% gratuity that was tacked on for our group of 7 which was still calculated pre-chicken. We eventually got the manager to remove the mandatory gratuity.
Salt Air may have promising food, but the service, where all the complaints online address was just awful, I would not return and I would in fact discourage people from going.

Fenwick

Took the lads to Catch 54 in Fenwick Island, right on DE Rt. 54 west of Ocean Highway. It's operated by Matt Haley's SoDel Concepts, a local operator with restaurants all over coastal Delaware. They tout farm and ocean to table, so I was looking forward to it. Tough to get a good piece of fish at home, for some reason.

We went a few years ago and it was nice; crowded but friendly, and the food and service would have cut it in most places. Apparently, they suffered a fire in the Spring, so when we went upstairs I thought something didn't jive with my recollection of the layout.

Anyway. I started out with as nice grapefruit cooler and Blue Point and PEI oysters. Oysters were fresh and briny, although I admit to bring utterly spoiled by BlackSalt. I got some nice sea salt topped Parker House rolls to keep the boys occupied; they even tried the herbed sweet cream butter that came along.

Dinner was a generous piece of buttermilk fried catfish (a special) served over a zingy potato salad with a side of cucumber & red onion salad. Really nice; fish wasn't great at all, the potatoes had body without being heavy (hey - they're potatoes) and the cucumber salad was slightly sweet and refreshing. The little one went with cavatappi with butter, and the big one didn't see anything in the kids menu interested him, so he opted for a medium rare bacon cheeseburger - a man-sized half pounder with white cheddar and tomato relish. He proclaimed it "spectacular" and made a pretty good go at it. Quality burger, served on a burred grilled brioche.

Can't beat the view; right on Little Assawoman Bay overlooking a
inlet. I really enjoyed it, with two observations:

a) I don't purport to understand restaurant economics at all, but couldn't you serve slightly smaller portions, charge a dollar less, and still make the same money? This isn't a knock on the prices at all; they were eminently fair. I could have eaten 75 percent of that meal, paid one dollar less, and felt full and like the meal was still reasonably prices.

B) the restaurant had a lot of open tables. Maybe it's the economy, or maybe we just picked a quiet weeknight, but the last time we went, we waited for easily 45 minutes. Same part of the season. I hope they make it because the food and location are totally worth the trip.

I got to get text to speech working on my phone. My thumb hurts.

Cheers!

post-4177-0-80284100-1340287519_thumb.jp