There are several fish markets along Route 1 in Rehoboth. I grilled some delicious Mexican grouper from Big Fish Market this past weekend. Best deal might be the seafood at Giant-the guy knows his fish. 

7 minutes ago, mr food said:

There are several fish markets along Route 1 in Rehoboth. I grilled some delicious Mexican grouper from Big Fish Market this past weekend. Best deal might be the seafood at Giant-the guy knows his fish. 

We prefer Rehoboth Seafood Market, the little shack in the parking lot right next to Big Fish. They seem to have a better eye on truly local product than Big Fish.  

We'll have to check out the Giant this summer, thanks for the tip!

RSM changed ownership recently and I haven't been in there since to check it out. RSM had good seafood but priced at the top end of the spectrum. 

Any newer favorites? Anyone been to 208 Social, Bramble & Brine or Pig and Fish or Salt Air or a(Muse) lately? Planning on going to Rehoboth maybe next month.... thanks!

Any newer favorites? Anyone been to 208 Social, Bramble & Brine or Pig and Fish or Salt Air or a(Muse) lately? Planning on going to Rehoboth maybe next month.... thanks!

I can only say about Salt Air that if you don't get into Henlopen Oyster, it's not a bad spot. It's huge and they usually can seat you. Nothing to write home about but above the level of most of the joints in the area.

Henlopen is seemingly desirable, but man I hate not being able to make a reservation. It's still under consideration though. Thanks to you both for the updated info.

Henlopen gets crowded early (like at 5).  The locals hit it for happy hour and then it stays packed for the dinner crowd (and that's during the offseason, I don't go to the beach until after Labor Day).  Henlopen is great for sucking down oysters.  Their selection is better than any DC area restaurant that I know of. 

The other restaurant that I like in downtown Rehoboth is Lupo. 

Lupo remains our all around favorite and a dinner there this week confirmed it. Pasta now made all in house and it shows. Try the lobster bucatini; pasta is half price on Wednesday so $13 for this tasty dish. Unfortunately, the wine list while broad has crept up in price so I stuck to beer. I need to get back to Henlopen, last couple of visits I enjoyed the oysters but wasn't particularly impressed otherwise. I like Salt Air. The best crab cake in the immediate area resides at Woodys in Dewey. Typical DB loud  bar so always carryout for moi. $29 for two large cakes with basically no filler and two sides.

Any notable places in Dewey that are also dog-friendly?  We will be going in a few weeks, and on the day we arrive, we will have the pup in the car but can't get into our rental until 3 pm.  Would be nice to have a leisurely lunch somewhere close to Dewey town hall (where I have to get the doggie's beach license).

• Like 1

I'll report back with pictures and stuff later, but here is a short report - 

Bramble & Brine - really great. While away from the beach a goodly bit, it is worth the easy walk down the main drag. Really good cocktails, nice wine list. Very nice space. We opted for two starters each, then an entree each, and dessert. Honestly, the entrees, while good, were not up to the quality of the starters or desserts, but I am not really complaining - I just might order differently next time. Only other minor nit was the pacing was a smidge off as they got busy and the three FOH staff tried to keep up. In the end, this was a great meal and I will gladly go back.

a(muse) - We accidentally ate here (more on that below). What good luck we had though! A great waiter (who really knows his cheese, by the way) and a pretty eclectic and adventurous menu that wishes I had two stomachs. Cocktails were good enough, but they could use help there. Other than that (and a minor faux pas on the wine service), there was only a minor pacing issue when we got to the mains. But the cheese course more than made up for these minor bits. a jar of pickled good bits with grilled bread, dehydrated mustard and other stuff was good, but really meant to share for two IMHO. The sardines dressed up and presented in a can was wonderful. The tartare with house made potato chips was great. The smoked beef tongue on bread with plum and pickled shallots was super. The lobster 'risotto' could have used a little editing of the greens that came out on top but was really delicious and perfectly cooked. The cheicken came out with perfectly crispy skin and was underpinned by corn, hierloom tomatoes, and (too many) charred jalapeno peppers (again, that should have been edited down a bit), was quite good. And the waiter was quite knowledgeable about the cheese selections (they had maybe 15-18 choices, too) - and it made for a fantastic finish to the dinner. I'll be back.

Side note - We originally were slated to go back to Espuma, Jay Caputo's place that we had been to several times ofver the past 10 years, always with good results. It had been about 3 years since we had been back and we were looking forward to go again and got reservations. We show up and the place was not open. On the first Saturday night after Labor Day. No sign on the door. Website is still up. Open Table shows them still open and taking reservations. But you call the number and nothing. We found our way that evening, to a(muse) instead, and were happy that happened. Still this bugged me. So here I am googling around to see WTF is going on. I knew Caputo, the chef/owner, took over the old Chez La Mer space after it closed to create Porcini House. We had a memorable brunch on the roof deck there maybe 6 years ago. That must have closed as some Fenwick Island place called Papa Grande's is there now (to decidedly sub par reviews). ANYway, Caputo got involved with another Rehoboth Beach place called Beachside Bar & Grill (opened a bit over a year ago, and he left almost exactly a year later (about 2 months ago), which is still there, but he is no longer involved with it. Caputo has apparently moved to another restaurant instead, no longer having any interest in any still operating restaurant in Rehoboth Beach (since yes, Espuma is permanently closed (happened sometime between September 4 and yesterday from what my sleuthing tells me)). He now heads a place called Pilot Town Fish Company in nearby Milton, DE. 

Honestly, I know restaurants come and go. They even close without warning. But if you shut down, do the courtesy to your pending reservation holders to cancel their reservations and otherwise eliminate other elements of appearing OPEN. <sigh>

I'm not going to repeat gossip but there's more to the story behind espuma closing. I like a(muse) but overly foodie for moi. Too many ingredients that don't meld well in some dishes. We had a lovely dinner Saturday at Lupo in the Rehoboth Hotel. This remains my overall favorite in RB.

Prior to Lupo, we had cocktails at Bramble and Vine. Palma took excellent care of us despite being somewhat slammed and new to the establishment. She (and I agree) does not like their policy of measured pours for all drinks. Slows things down and my old fashioned while well made needed more bourbon.

Rehoboth

3 promising new restaurants to check out.  La Fable (from the Bramble & Brine folks - not sure which), Blue Hen (from the Henlopen Oyster folks), and Chesapeake and Maine (from Dogfish Head folks).

We dined at Blue Hen recently-liked not loved it. Service was off but friendly.  First time I've seen rabbit on a beach menu. Charcuterie platter was pretty good. Very loud space-I hate yelling at my dinner companions. We'll probably get back at some point but not a top priority. We did have at good meal at Dewey Beer Company in Dewey-duh. Short menu but all dishes well prepared. Team service well done and there are a few parking spots on the side. My niece and nephew enjoyed the beer brewed in house. Wine list not overly priced-Cline rose a bit sweet but refreshing on a hot day. 

We hit up Amuse early this year when we went for an overnight. Still good, but not *as* good as before. I'd still go.

Just noticed this thread. Some quick hits from our August beach visit:

1. Po Boys in Milton: Should be a must for everyone who spends more than a day or so at the beach.

2. Vanderwende Farm, Route 404: Consensus was the ice cream not as good as Hopkins Farm. The cows were great, though.

3. Palate, Route 1: Nice adult setting and clientele. Food on the adventurous side and very good. Crab bruschetta was a standout.

4. Lupo: Excellent as always

5. FINS: Solid seafood joint. Good if you want that beachy vibe.

6. Jimmy's Grille, Bridgeville: Still a great spot for a meal on way to or from the beach. Love the fried chicken, baked goods, and wide array of sides such as corn pudding. Can't speak to the other locations (And have seen pretty mediocre reviews of them).

• Like 1