jandres374

Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Bethesda - Seafood Shack From the Owners of Grapeseed - Closed

The place next to Cesco, that used to be Tel Aviv Cafe, I think it became a Mediteranean place called Cafe Preeze or something. It's closed and some weird sounding chainy sort of place has a thing up. I think it is 'Somebody's Name's Lobster and Crabs'. The sign looked tacky.

Also, the Ben & Jerry's closed. I never went there, but it's gone.

The chainy sort of place is going to be Freddie's Lobster and Clams from the owners of Grapeseed.

Bethesda Magazine Article

Many thanks for that link. It seems Freddie's could actually work -- I love a good lobster roll (as well as good fish & chips).

It's closed and some weird sounding chainy sort of place has a thing up. I think it is 'Somebody's Name's Lobster and Crabs'. The sign looked tacky.

Not a Chain. Freddy's is named after my Grandfather. I dug clams with him. He's dead. I made the sign myself.

Stop by I can show you around

Jeff

Not a Chain. Freddy's is named after my Grandfather. I dug clams with him. He's dead. I made the sign myself.

Jeff

I'm actually pretty excited about the possibilities here, especially now that Bobby's isn't around any more to satisfy my whole-belly clam cravings.

It'd probably turn off other Bethesda diners, but if you can figure out how to build in a chunk of live rocky tidepool and that salt-spray smell of the New England coast, I'm camping out and never leaving.

Jeff

A great seafood option a block from my office is a very good thing. Do you have an approximate opening day?

I'm actually pretty excited about the possibilities here, especially now that Bobby's isn't around any more to satisfy my whole-belly clam cravings.

If there's a properly made clam roll on the menu then I will be there once a week, at least.

It'd probably turn off other Bethesda diners, but if you can figure out how to build in a chunk of live rocky tidepool and that salt-spray smell of the New England coast, I'm camping out and never leaving.

I actually got ahold of a pier from a friend of mine in St Michaels that I was going to use for the deck. Unfortunately, the powers that be in the permitting office didn't seem so excited about the salt-spray smell I was going to bring to Bethesda

A great seafood option a block from my office is a very good thing. Do you have an approximate opening day?

I will have a good idea of opening date after our plans get through the "Instant" permitting process in Rockville. It supposedly only takes 10 working days. Go figure

Jeff

The description I've read about what you're going for is awesome. I can't wait until you open.

If there's a properly made clam roll on the menu then I will be there once a week, at least.

Ditto. Maybe not every week but at least every other week for me. Defining "properly made:" Neptune in Boston is the best I've had in a few years. Kinkeads is the best I've had here in the DC area. Can it be? Consistently whole-bellied Ipswich clams with light seasoned breading that complements the clam...and not the other way around...with toasted bun? A great clam roll in Bethesda would be a huge deal.

The description I've read about what you're going for is awesome. I can't wait until you open.

Ditto again.

I agree with you! Will be great having a place close-by where I can get whole-belly clams. Sure hope they cook them the way my Mom used to with the fresh clams we dug summers at Great Hammock Beach! Love the idea of a tidal pool.

Yes Chris, best of luck...

Buried in Tim Carman's concise bit of reporting (congrats to Chris and Jeff, btw) is this important update: "Heineman is expected to open Freddy’s next Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on the final inspection and other contigencies."

Before or after the Glen Manor tasting dinner at Dino? Decisions...decisions...

What is a clam cake? Is it like a fish cake made with clams or is it more like a stuffed clam? BTW, where can I get a good stuffed quahog around here?

When my mom made them out of canned clams, the term "clam fritter" probably would have been a better descriptor.

Rob

We are putting the finishing touches on this place. The punch list should be done soon and the lobster tank is being installed, starting tomorrow.

We hope to do friends and family dinners next week and then open to the public soon after.

Chris Cunningham is indeed coming up with some great cocktails to compliment our Craft beer selections.

And we have scheduled some lady named Gillian Clark to come in and make fried chicken on Wednesdays until she gets too busy with her own place. B. Flay recommended her to me.

Thanks to everyone who has stopped by to offer support as we have struggled with the permitting/inspection process. It has truely helped.

www.freddyslobster.com

Jeff

Wow--are you looking for people to adopt into the family? Or new friend? I'm friendly. Sign me up for any night clams/lobster and Weds chicken with that random "lady" you found somewhere B)

Or..a DR night next week...maybe...possibly? Two more weeks for this is cruel and inhuman IMHO.

Wow--are you looking for people to adopt into the family? Or new friend? I'm friendly. Sign me up for any night clams/lobster and Weds chicken with that random "lady" you found somewhere :D

Or..a DR night next week...maybe...possibly? Two more weeks for this is cruel and inhuman IMHO.

Actually Jeff and I were discussing that the other day so your ears must have been burning B) Will do

I wandered by the other day after having lunch around the corner at Uptown Deli. Lots of activity going on inside.

Can't wait!

Actually Jeff and I were discussing that the other day so your ears must have been burning B) Will do

does that "will do" mean your considering the DR night, or adding darkstar to the friends and family list? (Add another vote for the potential DR night! :D)

does that "will do" mean your considering the DR night, or adding darkstar to the friends and family list? (Add another vote for the potential DR night! :D)

Ha ha. Register two vigorous votes on both. Add darkstar to the ff list and a DR night. B)

But, whatever you do, please do it as soon as you can. Must have great clam rolls. gspot fried chicken resurrected. All hail Freddy's!

Ha ha. Register two vigorous votes on both. Add darkstar to the ff list and a DR night. :D

But, whatever you do, please do it as soon as you can. Must have great clam rolls. gspot fried chicken resurrected. All hail Freddy's!

Yes, we will have a DR night B)