Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Bethesda - Seafood Shack From the Owners of Grapeseed - Closed

Missed out on DR night but I've eaten here a few times and I am happy to have Freddy's in the area. The first time I thought the lobster roll was great (although my companion did get a bit of shell). The second time I thought it was a little lemony, and the most recent time I thought it could use still a little less lemon and also less pepper. All of them were good, but the seasoning has been notably different. Also, personally I think a classic cold lobster roll comes with a piece of lettuce, but maybe I am in the minority there.

We've tried the steamers and fried clams as well and they have both been good enough to allow me to pretend I am in New England, which is all I ask. I am slowly but happily trying to make my way through the beer list. (Is the cans and clams happy hour special ever coming back? I'm guessing not but I can always hope.)

Saw Jeff going from Grapeseed into Freddys last time but didn't interrupt him to admire my lobster dance or head of cabbage.

Missed out on DR night but I've eaten here a few times and I am happy to have Freddy's in the area. The first time I thought the lobster roll was great (although my companion did get a bit of shell). The second time I thought it was a little lemony, and the most recent time I thought it could use still a little less lemon and also less pepper. All of them were good, but the seasoning has been notably different. Also, personally I think a classic cold lobster roll comes with a piece of lettuce, but maybe I am in the minority there.

We've tried the steamers and fried clams as well and they have both been good enough to allow me to pretend I am in New England, which is all I ask. I am slowly but happily trying to make my way through the beer list. (Is the cans and clams happy hour special ever coming back? I'm guessing not but I can always hope.)

Saw Jeff going from Grapeseed into Freddys last time but didn't interrupt him to admire my lobster dance or head of cabbage.

Can and CLams happy hour is everyday, 7 days a week from 4-7pm....it never went away, so I apologize if you heard or experienced anything contrary to that. You get a box of whole bellys with your choice of any can beer for $10.00. I also just added 6 new beers to the list...3 of them are cans B)

Can and CLams happy hour is everyday, 7 days a week from 4-7pm....it never went away, so I apologize if you heard or experienced anything contrary to that. You get a box of whole bellys with your choice of any can beer for $10.00. I also just added 6 new beers to the list...3 of them are cans B)

Really? that's great! (We asked a server about early on and she didn't seem to have any idea what we were talking about and suggested it might have been dropped as the menu changed). Is it only at the bar, or would it be kosher to do it as part of an early dinner too?

Really? that's great! (We asked a server about early on and she didn't seem to have any idea what we were talking about and suggested it might have been dropped as the menu changed). Is it only at the bar, or would it be kosher to do it as part of an early dinner too?

Moving over from the bar to a table isn't going to make eating those clams any more kosher, DavidO. (sorry, couldn't resist...)

It looks like we're doing the $10 'Cans&Clams' as well $1 off all drafts from 5-7 daily, even Sat & Sun so come on in! I'll be bartending all day today - Gabe.

A great day for lunch on the patio at Freddy's. My friend had the clam roll and I tried the fried fish platter. The batter was a little too thick & greasy for me, but the fish inside was very fresh and moist. My friend also got a lobster egg and generously shared a bite. Very rich!

***Special Fried Chicken Thursday Alert***

This Thursday will be Battle fried Chicken as I will take on Gillian and her Featured Dish.

2 Pieces of Hers and 2 of Mine for $15 (comes with Fries, Slaw and Gravy) to determine Freddy's Chicken Champion.

I have been watching and stealing her techniques. Then improving on them in a secret, secure location.

Come join our Royal Rumble and Vote for Me, the eventual Winner.

See you Thursday

***Special Fried Chicken Thursday Alert***

This Thursday will be Battle fried Chicken as I will take on Gillian and her Featured Dish.

2 Pieces of Hers and 2 of Mine for $15 (comes with Fries, Slaw and Gravy) to determine Freddy's Chicken Champion.

I have been watching and stealing her techniques. Then improving on them in a secret, secure location.

See you Thursday

Battle rages, until we run out

3 of us went for the chicken battle at lunch today. Shared the chicken plate, an order of steamers, and a fried belly clams platter. Steamers were very good and came with extra broth and butter for dipping (broth please). The fried whole belly clams aren't my thing I don't think (I know, for shame) - I enjoyed the smaller ones, but the larger ones get a bit squishy for me. Fries were good, but I wished the slaw had less celery seed. Portions all seemed good. Now on to the chicken!

Both were delicious, Gillian's wins points for extra juicy meat, particularly the breast and I really like the seasoning of her breading, but I am not a fan of battered fried food to start with and the batter here is just too thick and puffy. Jeff's was a nice crispy bread coating that had a kick of something (cayenne?) that we all really enjoyed. I know Gillian has been working out how to modify her chicken to work in a deep fryer rather than pan frying, but for now, because of the batter, I had to pick Jeff's as the winner. Oh, and Jeff gets bonus points for serving his up with fried pickle slices on top. He said no to making them a regular side dish (too southern), but maybe if we all harass him enough he'll change his mind? :mellow:

Done, and if the results follow what I saw/heard/tasted, you will indeed win in a clash of delicious chicken styles. But in my opinion, steamers are the real winner; I was elated when I saw them on the specials list.

Done, and if the results follow what I saw/heard/tasted, you will indeed win in a clash of delicious chicken styles. But in my opinion, steamers are the real winner; I was elated when I saw them on the specials list.

It appears that this is not really a contest at all and that Gilian's reign at the top of the fried chicken world is indeed over.

I hope she can show some moxie in the dinner hours.

WE NOW HAVE WHOLE BOILED LOBSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $19 for a 1 1/4 pound, fresh from our tank to your plate lobster. We provide you with all the tools- bib, butter, pick and claw cracker.

Jeff will be giving instructions on how to eat a whole lobster, while wearing his ultra slimming and sexy lobster suit :o:P:unsure::mellow:

We also have wonderful, bi kernel Eastern shore corn on the cob at $1.50 an ear

There will be no chicken this Thursday.....why you may ask?????.....because we are a LOBSTER and CLam SHack and we need a week break from the BIRD :P ....or until another surrounding business goes under (BUBBY's) and we can expand our growing empire.

My bloody Mary: THE CLAW, was written up in the Gazette as the Best Bloody Mary South of the Mason Dixon Line....The author deserves a James Beard award IMHO ;) ......anyway, the article came out today and I was wondering why the hell I was making over 25 of them on a Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and then someone gave me a copy of the review, thus explaining why suddenly, eveyone had a hankering for a Bloody Mary tonight. I serve this drink without pretense, a vest, a porkpie hat, a mustache or a history lesson.... I do however use Unicorn tears and Panda sperm in the making of the cocktail :blink:

So come on in for a Claw and a whole Lobster, or beer, or clams, or anything fried, or just to swim in the lobster tank B)

I'm working my way through a box of the fried belly clam platter and I don't know if it is just my luck with trying Freddy's out for the first time today, but I'm dealing with a pretty gritty batch of clams. I did take out, and the batter has held up reasonably well on my walk back to work (although I'm sure it would have been perfect had I eaten there - my fault for being busy at the office). The fries are a good portion, but the slaw is on the small side. But for the $2 additional for the fries and slaw, I'm not really complaining. The clams do have a good flavor, and there is a good amount here, but the grit is a big distraction. Hopefully this is an aberration.

I knew I should have gotten the lobster roll.

I'm working my way through a box of the fried belly clam platter and I don't know if it is just my luck with trying Freddy's out for the first time today, but I'm dealing with a pretty gritty batch of clams. I did take out, and the batter has held up reasonably well on my walk back to work (although I'm sure it would have been perfect had I eaten there - my fault for being busy at the office). The fries are a good portion, but the slaw is on the small side. But for the $2 additional for the fries and slaw, I'm not really complaining. The clams do have a good flavor, and there is a good amount here, but the grit is a big distraction. Hopefully this is an aberration.

I knew I should have gotten the lobster roll.

Grit Happens.

Sorry , had to say that. But sorry about the clams, I just cooked up some to check if there is a problem, and they seem fine now. They are all purged before shucking, but I guess all clams do not behave the same while they are being purged. I would probably be a little miffed if someone tore me out of bed and purged me, so I understand.

Next time say Hi and eat in, so I can make sure we replace any gritty clams.

Jeff

It appears that this is not really a contest at all and that Gilian's reign at the top of the fried chicken world is indeed over.

I hope she can show some moxie in the dinner hours.

We slightly preferred yours as well, as a result of the seasoning. I think my kid was a little disappointed he didn't actually get to register his vote so I promised him I'd let you know. I was a little disappointed that the neither the server nor the specials sheet mentioned that the chicken came with fries, so we had a side order that went uneaten.

I also was able to get "cans and clams" which was great, except the word came back that Summer Solstice is in a bottle not a can, so I'm not sure if the beer menu needs to be corrected on that.

A quick mini rave for Freddy's. We went tonight. Ordered lobster stew, lobster roll (1st time for the conn/warm after a bunch of times the Maine/cold), salad, corn, portuguese steak (first time--maybe the best "non core" thing we've had--"non core" meaning not lobster or clam related) and a Titan IPA.

Not a lot to say about the food that hasn't already been said. I'm a Freddy's fan and know to stick with the core stuff for the best results (lobster tonight but all things clam are great too; the steamers were in!).

The mini rave then?

The place was PACKED! Maybe it has always been packed on Friday and Saturday nights--not sure we've been before on a Fri/Sat. There was a team of young women passing out samples of rum drinks and a menu of three related drink options priced at $5/each. Sample was good but I was beer bound. The "cans and clams" promo clearly is bringing in people. Lots of activity. Dare I say this place is going to make it and maybe even end up dwarfing Grapeseed's annual take?

One of my biggest annoyances with restaurants is lack of focus. Too many open not knowing who they are, how they're different, or promising exciting X but then doing disappointing Y.

Freddy's knows who they are. An authentically inspired lobster and clam shack with some necessary tailoring for this market with no compromises on ingredients for the core offerings. The right lobsters. The right clams. The right pricing. Loved seeing it so packed. Though may now stick to weekdays/nights when a bit less busy.

Sacrifice a lobster to help the U.S.A. Women's Soccer team win a third World Cup!

This is crazy! When France tied the game last week at one each, my buddy James ordered a lobster (@ $19 for a 1 1/4lb lobster, we're crazy!). After the lobster was served, U.S.A. Women scored two more goals sending them to the finals. Come out and sacrifice a lobster for another World Cup title for our women. Lobby the lobster laid down his life so that we could roll over France. If ten people order lobster tomorrow afternoon we'll have a steam-roller! Game starts at 2pm, I'll be there all day! And I even make drinks!!!

Come check it out,

Gabe.

Freddy's knows who they are. An authentically inspired lobster and clam shack with some necessary tailoring for this market with no compromises on ingredients for the core offerings. The right lobsters. The right clams. The right pricing. Loved seeing it so packed. Though may now stick to weekdays/nights when a bit less busy.

Completely agree with all of your sentiments. We were there on Wednesday night for lobster stew, steamed clams, fried clams and beer. It wasn't crowded at all.

Anyone know what the restaurant week lunch deal is here? Thinking about lunch here tomorrow.

Just had the RW lunch special here a couple of days ago. $15 for a lobster roll and chowder (Rhode Island, New England..). On a related point, Grapeseed next door has a pretty interesing $30 RW dinner menu posted; so much so I made a reservation and haven't been in a couple of years.

Went back to Freddy's for happy hour tonight - it was the first time I've eaten there since they first opened (been a few times just for drinks). First off, the Clams and Can happy hour special is an exceptional deal. Loved the whole belly clams, and you certainly get your money's worth as my box was full to the brim.

The wife and I also split the RW special for dinner. The lobster roll was excellent and was overflowing with meat. It was a vast improvement from when we first went, and it easily knocks Mussel Bar's out of the park. It had just a hint of lemon which was a nice touch while the bun was lightly toasted. $15 for this PLUS a clam chowder? Helluva deal.

Also, I cannot overstate how great the beer selection is. It truly is the best in Bethesda and the prices are very, very fair. Then you throw in the dollar off bottles and cans during happy hour and it's an absolute steal. Sad to learn that Racer 5 was out of stock, but no matter, Boulder Beer's Hazed and Confused was more than adequate (and only four bucks!).

Freddy's is easily becoming our favorite happy hour spot. Next time we'll have to get Gillian's fried chicken or the whole lobster. Keep up the great work!

We have been here a few times now and is quickly becoming a family favorite. Our quick take on the food:

Lobster Roll - must have every time we go. We always go for the cold version and have not been disappointed.

Whole Belly Clams - again always perfectly fried and a healthy portion size.

Steamers - great when they have them but last two times we have gone they were out.

Whole Steamed Lobster - wife had it once and raved about it, nice 1-1/4 lb lobster fresh from the tank - does not get much better.

Calamari - oddly every time (3 times) we have tried to order the spicy version we have been told they are out. Strange.

Clam Chowder - Tried the Rhode Island style last weekend as it was part of the restaurant week meal. Very disappointing, don't think I saw a hint of clam in it.

Lobster Deviled Eggs - Did not sound appealing to me but the table ordered 3 last weekend and the opinion was not good. Just not a good combination.

Fries - Average, nothing special.

Cole Slaw - Portion size seems to have increased from previous visits

As others have noted the beer list is the best in Bethesda, wife also tried and loved the Bloody Mary.

One and a half stars from Sietsema this week....that, plus the reported noise level, won't draw me here anytime soon.

I agree. I'm going to go ahead and ignore all these reviews, and also my own experiences, and go with that 1.5-star rating. So long, Freddie's.

I mean, do we even need this website? Is this really what it all comes down to?

Same here on finding the review very odd. The story (which I'd argue Tom missed) on Freddy's is the focus, quality and consistency with the two things on which they most focus (decoder ring: their name). The only possible exceptions to the "anything made with or from lobster or clam" approach I take is the warm lobster roll which can be a bit inconsistent and the lobster eggs which don't do it as much for me but think Tom liked. Anything not made with lobster or clam depends more on personal preference and the item. The place is a great lobster and clam shack...with other stuff that probably wouldn't even be on menu were it in New England. My favorite comment was about the "70s era salad" or something like that. The place is supposed to be a lobster and clam shack for chrissakes--what kind of salad is he looking for? I get that salad all the time for balance with whatever fried or rich goodness I've ordered. Lettuce, tomato, onion, maybe one other thing. Italian dressing is fine. Also yet another ding on the small slaw containers. Know Jeff is working through a boatload of those small containers he bought at the outset but maybe good to get some bigger containers and repurpose the smaller ones for drawn butter or whatever...just so people won't keep complaining about that.

A big sigh here for this review from TS but guess that's what makes this all interesting from the Post's or any critic's perspective--we're not supposed to always agree so long as we're talking about it.

Just a note of a few things at Freddys:

I just added another 40 new beers to the list giving us a grand total of 110 beers for your drinking pleasure

tonight is Fried Chicken ( our own version) till it runs out

Happy Hour is from 4-7 every day...

buy a lobster roll and get a draft for $2.50= $17.50 total combo

Can + Clams....box of whole belly clams and any can beer =$10

$1 off any can or bottle beer

All day there is a beer and draft of the day special for $3

WE have DIRECT TV NFL package EVERY GAME for your Sunday Football and Bloody MARY Pleasure

COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will be rolling out our new fall menu with items such as Lobster Pie, Steamed SHrimp, Lobster Dip...and other tasty items :unsure::blink:

FEAR THE SLAW....You commented on it, you asked for it, you loved it, you complained about it....OUR GARGANTUAN, BOTTOMLESS BUCKET O SLAW is coming....GET UR SLAW ON or GO HOME :mellow:

Just a note of a few things at Freddys:

I just added another 40 new beers to the list giving us a grand total of 110 beers for your drinking pleasure

tonight is Fried Chicken ( our own version) till it runs out

FEAR THE SLAW....You commented on it, you asked for it, you loved it, you complained about it....OUR GARGANTUAN, BOTTOMLESS BUCKET O SLAW is coming....GET UR SLAW ON or GO HOME :mellow:

Whoo-hoo! 40 new beers--holy wowza. I think I've only made my way through 5 of 'em so far. At this rate I'll never catch up...a good thing.

Fried chicken ([your] own version]: must. know. more. how different from thurs night fried chicken version 1.0? still deep fried or now pan fried somehow?

Slaw: great news. Personally, I could care less about this but given what a popular topic it has been online (here and elsewhere), love that Freddy's is responding in such a wonderful, over-the-top, any other questions?, way. :unsure:

I posted shortly after they opened, reporting that the frying was a problem. It took me a while to get back there but I'm happy to report that whatever the problem was has been fixed. The clams, the shrimp, the fries were are crisp and not at all greasy. Really good. Also really good was the Portuguese stew, a gumbo-like melange of seafood and sausage that is a nice alternative to the fried and cream-based options. Great to see a place that really listens to its customers and is trying to continually improve. In that vein, as long as the cole slaw is getting larger, a bit creamier would be good thing too.

FWIW - Starting tomorrow we will be honoring the New York Yankees World Series run by replacing our Rhode Island Clear Chowder with Manahattan Clam Chowder.

I realize Boston's collapse had nothing to do with Rhode Island, other than the fact that many of the Sox played for Pawtucket, and that the Yankees play in the Bronx, but this just seems fitting.

I also understand that New York is not part of New England, but people from New England have been called Yankees forever (I saw it on Wikipedia).

Come at lunch we are closed for an event Friday night. Taste of Bethesda Saturday, we aren't participating except by being open and having Happy Hour start at noon.

The mad scientists in the kitchen at Freddy's have stumbled across something truly special and announce the unveiling of:

Lobster Poutine

(Waffle Fries, Lobster Gravy and Fontina)

This new dish tastes great but is certainly Not Recommended by the American Heart Association

You really should share it

The mad scientists in the kitchen at Freddy's have stumbled across something truly special and announce the unveiling of:

Lobster Poutine

This new dish tastes great but is certainly Not Recommended by the American Heart Association

Disclaimer!!!!!!!! There is NO SLAW AT ALL served with this dish...please do not scream online or at your server because of the No slaw/Poutine dish. ;)

Lobster Poutine

Drool

atttention: new fried chicken recipe for those who were not in love with the batter dipped version that was served on thursdays when they first opened. this one is rolled in shaggy crumbs and has a shatteringly crisp crust. the meat is juicy and highly seasoned. and tonight they were serving 1/2 of a large chicken (4 pieces) with two sides for TEN DOLLARS. don't know if this price will be repeated on future thursdays, but this has to be the best deal around. really delicious. also, the calamari were crazy good, as was the indian pudding dessert. props to our own Arcturus, who is now the chef. and I loved Chris' "cucumber cooler"--the only cucumber in it is in the Hendrick's Gin formula, but it also has St. Germain, lime and mint.