Freddy's Lobster and Clams, Bethesda - Seafood Shack From the Owners of Grapeseed - Closed

ATTENTION!!!!!!! SELF PROMOTING PLUG TO FOLLOW ;)

Since we cannot shut down for 5 months like they do up North for the winter, we have added some new menu items and specials:

Monday- Trivia 7-9

Tuesday- 1/2 priced Burgers

Wednesday- 2 lobsters for $30

Thursday- Fried CHicken plus 2 sides $10

Friday- Happy Hour all day long

Sat/Sun- 2 for 1 Hot Dogs

We have added our own house ground Short rib and Sirloin Hamburgers,

3 different Steamed Niman Ranch Hot dogs with various toppings including Chutney/Onions, Meat sauce,

The CHicken has been revamped and is better than ever....It is available full time on the menu and it is made to order...so allow 20 mins per order...You get 1/2 a chicken: leg, thigh, wing and breast plus choice of any 2 sides (lobster roll not considered a side ;) ) All for $15 except Thursday when its $10...call the cops cause its a steal

Mussels and Poutine are now available

I currently have 128 beers and the taps change up to 4 times a week...and we are also offering flights of draft beers as well

Thanks for allowing me to shill :P

atttention: new fried chicken recipe for those who were not in love with the batter dipped version that was served on thursdays when they first opened. this one is rolled in shaggy crumbs and has a shatteringly crisp crust. the meat is juicy and highly seasoned. and tonight they were serving 1/2 of a large chicken (4 pieces) with two sides for TEN DOLLARS. don't know if this price will be repeated on future thursdays, but this has to be the best deal around. really delicious. also, the calamari were crazy good, as was the indian pudding dessert. props to our own Arcturus, who is now the chef. and I loved Chris' "cucumber cooler"--the only cucumber in it is in the Hendrick's Gin formula, but it also has St. Germain, lime and mint.

So glad you all enjoyed everything.....to answer your question...Yes, the chicken has been added full time to the menu for $15, Every Thursday it is $10 all day long :o

Meant to post that my Sister in Law and I had lunch here the other day. I loved the warm lobster roll and fries, very authentic, I felt it was a good deal and very good lobster proportion and taste. But there was so much more I wanted to order that just wouldn't have fit in my stomach. I wish I lived closer to Bethesda...

For anyone who cares.

Since we have never done New Year's Eve at Freddy's before, I figured I would let folks know.

We will be doing an all the lobster you can eat extravaganza (all the fried chicken as well)

$45 (kids under 12 half price)

Comes with Salad, Chowder, French Fries, Chips, and the dreaded slaw. Limited a la carte will also be available (Rolls and clams and such, plus kids menu)

All you can drink draft beers are $25.

Please limit yourselves to two hours so that others may partake.

Starts at 4, call to make resos. 240.743.4257.

no more plugging this year

Or maybe, you can plug more next year? Like ... up to twice a month? (People want to know.)

With Jeff being the "Quiet one", I shall gladly make the last plug of the year, one in which I am quite excited by.....I am proud to announce that we are the only game in town to have the Dogfish 120 IPA available on TAP :o Only the Brewery has this gem available...and at 12 % alcohol, it makes for the perfect "DATE" beer ;)

Once tapped we will only have roughly 55 glasses available since its only a 1/6 Keg.....so please join our Freddys Lobsterpage on Facebook so you'll know when its being tapped. I will announce it here on DR and online.....please no calls as I'm getting about 10 a day now from the ones that already know I have it......Jeff however will be available day and night to answer your phone calls about cooking, cole slaw, parenting, hot yoga and curling :D

Reservation made for 6pm, but you probably need to give your staff more details, because the first two people I talked to weren't sure what I was talking about...

For anyone who cares.

Since we have never done New Year's Eve at Freddy's before, I figured I would let folks know.

We will be doing an all the lobster you can eat extravaganza (all the fried chicken as well)

Comes with Salad, Chowder, French Fries, Chips, and the dreaded slaw. Limited a la carte will also be available (Rolls and clams and such, plus kids menu)

For anyone who cares.

Man, I would totally go to this but we already have plans that evening. Sounds like an incredible deal. Keep up the good work, Jeff. We're huge fans of your beer list. Btw, any plans to put Lagunitas Sucks on tap anytime soon?

Well, I got my money's worth.

1 bowl NE chowder

several bites of my date's salad

A few fries and a few bites of slaw

1 piece fried chicken

FOUR lobsters

Still full...

post-2127-0-96626500-1325613837_thumb.jp

(Daniel forgot to add the pictorial evidence.)

Thanks for saying "hi!" Also MANY thanks to Chef and Chris for being uber spectacular.

PS. They also have lobster poutine on the menu (though it's not as awesome as the lobster mac n' cheese.)

PPS. Happy 2012 everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know the following going-ons at Freddy's:

This Saturday at 6 PM we will be tapping the ONLY keg of Dogfish Head 120 MIN IPA available in the area!!!!!!! This wont last long, so please come in and get yours if you're a fan...at 15-20% ABV...it makes for a great "DATE" Beer ;) It will be a 10oz pour.

Starting Monday is Bethesda Restaurant Week and we will be offering the following for 2 weeks:

Lunch 11:30-4pm....$15 for a cup of chowda and a Lobster roll

Dinner 4pm-Close...$33 for 2 whole Lobsters and 2 cups of chowda

Come get your Lobster on!!!!!!!!!

Had lunch there on Saturday with my husband. A perfect place on a snowy day in January to bring back memories of summer. I throughouly enjoyed my cold lobstah roll and chowdah. Hubby had 2 hot dogs and the fishermans stew (which looked delish). Would go back.....

I went for lunch with a friend on Friday. Had the Portuguese stew because I had heard good things, but mostly because I was cold. Not long after ordering I regretted it when I noticed there was lobster poutine on the menu (I'm not one to typically order soup or stew as a meal so that wasn't helping). Well thank goodness I did because that is one bowl of deliciousness! A tomato broth with the perfect amount of heat overflowing with calamari, shrimp, fish, chunks of potato, some slices of the portugese sausage and 4 mussels. It was really good. I only wish I could have had more broth and bread to soak it up with.

My friend had the fried whole belly clam platter. This was the second time I had tried them and I liked them much better this time. I find the really large ones a bit on the skeevy side (the consistency throws me off), but after discussing we also think last time they may have sat a bit before they came out. These ones were perfectly crispy and well-seasoned. Slaw wasn't as celery-y as I remember it :P and fries were the same as usual, both good.

Had a great coffee stout on tap from Flying Dog and my friend had the Racer 5, also on tap (a personal favorite of mine).

The only disappointment was the lobster deviled eggs. We each got our own order and were sorely disappointed. At $4/egg (one order is 2 halves) I was expecting a pretty stunning deviled egg, but even if I could forget the price, I wouldn't have anything good to say about them. The filling was runny and didn't taste particularly of lobster. Mostly I tasted the little pool of mustard they sat in. I think they may have made the baby jesus cry (sorry Jeff ;) ).

All in all though, a great meal. With the beers, pretty darn pricey for lunch, but worth it.

Had the RW 2 lobster special with fried belly clams and both were excellent. the Manhattan chowder was meh and the NE good.

The lobsters were done perfectly. The tommaley on the lobsters perfectly creamy, i was trying to get every last bit! Lots os little juicy bits of meat to pick and great sweet juice. No butter was necessary.

And the clams fried so they were juicy AND crisp. We forgot the last couple and didn't see them till the end of the meal and stone cold they were still crisp. They turned me from a belly clam non believer to a fan. Better then the ones I used to get visiting WFM stores in New England.

The two lobster deal every Wednesday could easily bring us back... 2 lobsters for $30. Chris is still Chris and his beers on tap were great, 4 small pours for $10. Racer 5, Kona dark something and Kujo from Flying Dog were stunningly good.

Not cheap but good.

I skipped out of a webinar yesterday and walked over to Freddy's for a leisurely lunch. Clam strip platter, Yankee iced tea, and some 90's grunge rock comprised the menu. Clams were crisp and sweet. Fries were good - I like their matchstick much better than thicker cut frites - and the slaw was tart and not drowning in mayo. Portions appear to have grown since the last time I was there, even the cole slaw. ;) $15, including tip.

We went tonight for dinner and the experience reminded me how much I value honesty and value because it seems more the exception than the rule in so many restaurants. Of course, I've been to Freddy's many times for lunch and dinner so none of this surprised me.

Two of us had the '2 whole steamed lobsters with two chowders for $33 RW' special. We added one of the newer big salads, a box of clams and an iced tea. We asked if we could switch one of the chowders for a side salad (my SO doesn't do lactose and they are both priced at $5). No problem.

For the first time in however many visits I've made, something wasn't right and it was the clams. I know the Freddy's whole bellies and these were just undercooked. The place was busy but not packed. So, I got up and took the box to the register where our waitress, Mary, was. I asked nicely whether we could get a new order more done. She couldn't have been more gracious and accommodating. Maybe 7 minutes later, a perfect box of golden crisp clams was at our table. The lobsters were perfectly cooked and generously sized. The salad had orange slices and maybe some olives; perfect with the lobster.

I always find it so refreshing to eat here. Refreshing because Jeff, Chris & Co are true to what they're doing. The lobster tank at the back eliminates the constant uncertainty with lobsters everywhere else about age and freshness. The daily specials and other deals ensure great value. If you have a problem, they're happy to fix it as they did for us tonight.

All that food inclusive of the two delicious fresh lobsters and great service from Mary: $57.

Long live Freddy's--really a special place that knows who they are, executes well and is honest about how they cook and treat their customers. If only even half of the restaurants around town could say all that...oh, well.

Two of us had the '2 whole steamed lobsters with two chowders for $33 RW' special. We added one of the newer big salads, a box of clams and an iced tea. We asked if we could switch one of the chowders for a side salad (my SO doesn't do lactose and they are both priced at $5). No problem.

We went for lunch on Saturday and sat at a table in the bar area. Remembering your post, I asked if I could sub the chowder for a side salad (lunch deal) and was told that they couldn't do it. Since I didn't want the chowder, we asked if my husband could have both cups (he also ordered the lunch RW special) and we were also told no. I ended up paying for a side of fries (2.50). I should have just taken the cup of chowder and given it to my husband, but I was a little surprised when they wouldn't let him have mine. Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily the lobster roll was delicious. My husband grew up in Maine and Massachusetts and said the lobster roll was pretty authentic, so he was happy although still hungry after his meal.

We went for lunch on Saturday and sat at a table in the bar area. Remembering your post, I asked if I could sub the chowder for a side salad (lunch deal) and was told that they couldn't do it. Since I didn't want the chowder, we asked if my husband could have both cups (he also ordered the lunch RW special) and we were also told no. I ended up paying for a side of fries (2.50). I should have just taken the cup of chowder and given it to my husband, but I was a little surprised when they wouldn't let him have mine. Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily the lobster roll was delicious. My husband grew up in Maine and Massachusetts and said the lobster roll was pretty authentic, so he was happy although still hungry after his meal.

This sounds like dumb/misinformed waiter syndrome, not bad restaurant policy. Too bad either way.

Due to a wonderful coincidence, divine act, perfect storm, kismet or whatever today represents two very important Holidays for Freddy's. It is both

National Cabbage Day and National Indian Pudding Day

National Indian Pudding Day is, of course, also celebrated November 13th. Some things are so important to our national psyche they require two celebrations.

National Cabbage Day was established, probably in the mid 18th century, to honor the proud cabbages that gave their lives in the production of slaws, krauts, bubbles and squeaks, golumpkis, and kim chees throughout history. Truly, few foods can measure up to the importance of the humble cabbage. Having sprung from the tears of Lycurgus, King of the Edonians, cabbage has always been held in high regard since Emporer Claudius had the Roman senate debate whether there was a better dish than Corned Beef and Cabbage ( of course they voted No). Captain Cook even had his doctors use it as a compress to ward off gangrene. Its hangover reducing qualities are legendary, and we all know babies come from cabbage patches. So, let's honor this tasty vegetable, Hoist a red or green beauty, enjoy a Napa or savoy, wolf down the Choy of your choice. Rejoice it's Cabbage Day.

Similarly, National Indian Pudding Day was established to honor the Native Americans who died in the perfection of pudding. Long simmered with molasses, cornmeal and spices Indian Pudding soothes and satisfies like no other contempory pudding. Generally considered by the pudding cognocenti to be one of the preeminent puddings available to the public. (PM me for a current list of permission only puddings). Ever since molasses rose from being a sweetener for cattle silage on the farm to a sweetener fit for human consumption, Indain Pudding has been a staple in every true American's diet, if not a center of the plate star. On this Highest of holy days make it your star. I do however, HATE it when people put raisins in it!

Please join us at Freddys today as we celebrate this most special of days.

Today only...mention National Cabbage day and we will Super Size your Cole Slaw order...Mention National Indian Pudding Day and we will upgrade you from Whipped Cream to Ice Cream on top. Servers with authentic Durgin Park attitude available, please call in advance.

Or live large and do both.

If you want some good laughs check out the Yelp thread on Freddy's - truly comical.

"The lobster roll is disgusting. Its a hot dog bun dripping with butter and a little bit of lobster (not fresh) and totally over-priced." - I guess they missed the huge tank in the back with live lobsters in it.

"Find a DC food truck if you want a better lobster roll!" - Where exactly do they keep and cook the fresh lobsters on that truck?

If you want some good laughs check out the Yelp thread on Freddy's - truly comical.

Exhibit A supporting Yelp abstinence. Comical in a sad way to be sure.

"Find a DC food truck if you want a better lobster roll!" - Where exactly do they keep and cook the fresh lobsters on that truck?

Hmmm. Good question. The radiator maybe? Very small lobsters, er, langostines, er, shrimps. :D

Stopped in last night for an early family dinner. Spicy calamari ($6), whole belly clams ($12), warm lobster rolls ($15) and shrimp boat ($5) for the kids. Everything was perfect from the food to the service. Plus the kids love the ice cream ($3) here. Total bill after using a Scoutmob 50% discount was a reasonable $56, including two mixed drinks for the wife.

Only downside was the beer list but that was of my own making - decided to give up drinking for lent. Luckily I made it through the temptation of Freddy's without partaking. I did notice that some prices appear to be creeping up a bit on both the food and beer list. I think whole lobsters used to be $19 and are now $21 but I could be wrong.

Also, I did see a sign on each table mentioning some upcoming construction on the outside - anyone know that they are up to?

Just to add - I happened to be working from home on Friday and I saw that the Red Hook lobster truck was in Bethesda. I know we were going to Freddy's for dinner so I thought no time like the present for a taste test. I ordered a simple Maine Lobster Roll from the truck ($15 same price as Freddy's), while it was decent the lobster did not seem as fresh and the bread was not as good. It also appeared to me to have less lobster than Freddy's and the roll was smaller. Not bad for a food truck but definitely a few major steps below my go to at Freddy's.

I think whole lobsters used to be $19 and are now $21 but I could be wrong.

Also, I did see a sign on each table mentioning some upcoming construction on the outside - anyone know that they are up to?

Thanks for the kind words. We started fixing up the outside of the space to make it better represent what goes on inside. This was planned from the beginning, but got put off due to some county permitting crapola. We are just putting up cedar shakes up by the roof and siding the rest of the front. Also fixing up the deck and a few more cosmetic details. I was trying to put a kick ass tin roof over the deck, the county wouldn't allow it. Apparently, everyone would burst into flames or something if they ate in the shade on our deck. Go Figure. This should be done by March 15th and we are open for business throughout.

Our prices have moved around a bit as the products have. Craft beer never seems to get cheaper. Lobster price goes up and down, and will get cheaper when Maine reopens very, very soon. Right now it is mostly Canada for lobster and apparently the Canadians know they don't have much competition from the south. Their prices show that.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Lunch today. Lobster roll and Salad.

Pros - lobster was very good. Tasted recently cooked and had just the right amount of mayo.

Cons - tiny amount of lobster. Maybe two or three ounces. I wouldn't expect a half pound, but for 15 bucks be a little more generous. Salad had a bunch of old brown lettuce and was minus the promised hazelnuts. Also, amazingly, they said they had no oil for the salad (I'm allergic to vinegar).

Lunch today. Lobster roll and Salad.

Pros - lobster was very good. Tasted recently cooked and had just the right amount of mayo.

Cons - tiny amount of lobster. Maybe two or three ounces. I wouldn't expect a half pound, but for 15 bucks be a little more generous. Salad had a bunch of old brown lettuce and was minus the promised hazelnuts. Also, amazingly, they said they had no oil for the salad (I'm allergic to vinegar).

Sorry you had a mixed bag experience...... our rolls should contain 4 oz of that yummy lobster, yes we have oil, and i will have the kitchen staff reacquainted with what a hazelnut looks like by having them count them one by one each morning :)

If you didn't already mention these issues with my manager on duty, please let me know the next time you're in so that I can make it right and give you the proper Freddy's experience

Recipe for a perfect St. Patricks' Day dinner with mom:

• Walk past all the drunken revelers at Harp & Fiddle and settle into a booth at Freddy's.
  • Don't forget to say hi to Chris on the way in, and find out what's special on tap that night.
  • Pick out a 4-beer sampler from the fabulous tap list for only $10.
  • Share a bowl of steamer clams while waiting for the main dishes. Grab em by the neck, dip in the "broth", then butter, and pull the neck membranes off as you eat.
  • Save the accompanying salad for later, since the hot food will arrive before you can start it.
  • Work your way through a fried whole belly clams platter with fries and slaw, a cold lobster roll, and a side of perfectly cooked asparagus. Don't forget to groan contentedly every few bites.
  • Now go back and eat that salad.
  • Spot Jeff wandering around in his special occasion green Freddy's t-shirt, and chat about NY, NE, kids, and, well, just about everything (except for the food, this seems to be a tradition for us) for about 20 minutes.
  • Contemplate dessert, but realize that follow-on pint to the sampler made a fine liquid dessert.
  • Walk past the same drunken(er) revelers, thankful that the only thing green that you consumed was the salad and asparagus, and not the beer.

The 4 beer sampler for $10 (4 4 oz pours that come in appropriately sized glasses) is my new favorite thing (thanks DanielK for mentioning it). Although not the best idea when you're on your lunch break, unless you don't care about being productive at your job (no comment). I made myself a little pale ale/IPA sampler. :)

Friend and I shared the whole belly clam platter, the lobster nachos (a special today), and a cup of NE clam chowder. Everything was very good, the clams were again perfectly fried, fries were salty and delicious, chowder and slaw both tasty. The nachos weren't what I was expecting - the chips were fried wonton I believe, each one topped with a lump of lobster and a fresh salsa. I found the lobster bits the teeniest bit chewy, but it was very flavorful and overall they were tasty. For someone who doesn't care for raw tomatoes unless they come from her CSA this is actually saying something.

Never a cheap lunch, but worth it. Still, every time I go I tell myself I will get down there for happy hour to take better advantage of the beer selection. Some day.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, one thing was very upsetting. I was told that the St. Patty's day celebration involved Plinko and we here on Rockwell were not informed. How is this possible? I want to play Plinko! :angry:

I was in for linner and rather enjoyed it. Eye surgery an hour before meant I couldn't see the menu selections or pricing but knew I wanted a hot lobster roll and that I had a credit card in my pocket.

Enjoyed it all - I found the slaw to be different in a way I haven't tasted before. Daughters NE chowder was good with a thin base. Wife enjoyed her lobstermac. Even my son's kids meal cheezburg was better than most kids cheezburgs. I look forward to going back, trying other things and reading the menu for the first time!

I'm at Freddy's pretty regularly so don't post all the time lest I be thought a shill but...

...I was in a few days ago and tried a new smoked fish item about to go on the menu. Served with ritz crackers; have to love the nostalgia of that. It was good. It's basically a chopped and scooped ball of white fish with some good seasonings perfect for spreading. Also a new chicken stew whose name and specifics I've forgotten but which I'll be trying next time I'm in for dinner.

My (cold) lobster roll was as good as ever. And, my other go-to, a small lobster stew, had even more lobster than the usual good amount.

Long live Freddy's.

We met some friends (one of whom was from Rhode Island) at Freddy's on Saturday night. The fried calamari Rhode Island style was very good. The steamers were tasty but very gritty. The lobster roll was well made but the lobster had a slightly fishy taste and didn't have any sweetness to it. I wasn't a fan of the coleslaw but that may just be personal preference.

The service, on the other hand, was underwhelming. It took awhile for someone to acknowledge us as we waited to be seated. We sat down, a waitress came to take our drink order, we said we wanted to wait for our friends before ordering who sat down just as we were saying that. We then spent at least 15 minutes waiting for someone to come back and actually take the drink order. We ordered a pitcher of beer which showed up as a single glass (they graciously took it back and returned with the pitcher). Finally, after our food had arrived, we ordered a second pitcher of beer which never showed up. Throughout this time we had at least three different members of the waitstaff serving us.

Fried calamari tossed in garlic butter and sliced hot cherry peppers. Surprisingly addictive.

I didn't know that was the name of the style, but I've had calamari that way from other places and it's by far my favorite version of calamari. Thanks for the info!

Fried calamari tossed in garlic butter and sliced hot cherry peppers. Surprisingly addictive.

That's not surprising. I totally get that.

Nice lunch yesterday at the bar - still not sold on the chowdah, but the whole-belly clam roll was nice and hot and crispy, perfect with a grilled buttered white split top.

Decided to work a half day yesterday so I schlepped to Bethesda for a late lunch (my 2nd visit to Freddy's). The fried clams were tasty. I assume it's traditional to serve them in a paper box? Would they actually stay crunchy longer if served on a paper tray lined with some paper-towel to soak up some of the oil? I also tried the kimchi lobster roll (it was a special for $17). I could complain and say the kimchi drowned out the lobster but instead I rather liked the combination. The kimchi added a little heat and sourness to the lobster. Twasn't a cheap lunch though.

Guess I hadn't thought of that. I'll try that next time.

I always tear open the boxes with the fried clams as soon as they hit the table so they stay crunchy long enough to eat them. I agree that if you leave them in the box, they get soggy before you get to the bottom.

Decided to work a half day yesterday so I schlepped to Bethesda for a late lunch (my 2nd visit to Freddy's). The fried clams were tasty. I assume it's traditional to serve them in a paper box? Would they actually stay crunchy longer if served on a paper tray lined with some paper-towel to soak up some of the oil? I also tried the kimchi lobster roll (it was a special for $17). I could complain and say the kimchi drowned out the lobster but instead I rather liked the combination. The kimchi added a little heat and sourness to the lobster. Twasn't a cheap lunch though.

Not to state the obvious, but I suspect that like serving fries in a cone versus a plate, there's a heat-vs-crispness tradeoff, and it all depends on who values what characteristic.

Not to state the obvious, but I suspect that like serving fries in a cone versus a plate, there's a heat-vs-crispness tradeoff, and it all depends on who values what characteristic.

Absolutely true - I almost always share the fried clams with dining companion(s), so they go quickly once they arrive. If I were solo, and tore the box, they would be closer to cold (and thus, no longer crisp as well) by the time I worked my way through.

FWIW, since several of the things on the menu at Freddy's have to be eaten quickly for temperature or crispness concerns, I will occasionally order in waves (if they're not slammed) so the pacing works out without a glut of food at the table at once.

FWIW -

Tomorrow (5/19) we will be having a bit of a one year anniversary party. Yipee.

We are gonna stand out front and Grill stuff and sell it pretty cheap. Oysters, shrimp, Lobster Tails, Burgers, dogs and stuff.

Flying Dogs (beer) on Special

Face painting (intended for kids, adults knock yourself out)

Balloon lady

Music - hopefully live, they are having Bassist troubles however (hard to believe they can't find a dope to pluck a string with an index finger for an hour)

Starts at noon, Chris will be nekkid later but at no set time.

Goes on till closing.

Stop by if you can it should be fun. Have a fried clam in our honor if you can't.

Happy first!

Jeff

FWIW -

Tomorrow (5/19) we will be having a bit of a one year anniversary party. Yipee.

We are gonna stand out front and Grill stuff and sell it pretty cheap. Oysters, shrimp, Lobster Tails, Burgers, dogs and stuff.

Happy first!

Jeff

The BBQ Shrimp ROCKED - Happy Anniversary