Sur La Table

rmhoppe

For those of you who have shopped at the Sur la Table store on Wisconsin Avenue in Friendship Heights, the long-time store manager, Lana, has been unceremoniously dismissed after 10 years as the only manager that store has ever had. All she did was make money for the company year after year. All she did was build a customer base that included the White House, national recognized chefs and restaurant owners, dozens of foreign embassies, and loyal core of regular customers, all of whom were treated equally well. Her store this past year was the 20th largest in sales in an 80-plus store group. For that and 10 years of sometimes 60-70 hour weeks her reward was to be kicked to the curb by some cowardly and insecure middle managers who simply did not like her. She refused to play their stupid political games. If you want to register a complaint and or protest on behalf of Lana, by all means please consider emailing the company president, Jack Schwefel, at jack.schwefel@surlatable.com, or the architect of this shameful act, phillip stevenson at phillip.stevenson@surlatable.com, Or call them at 206-613-6064 for Jack or 312-787-5111 for Phillip.

For those of you who have shopped at the Sur la Table store on Wisconsin Avenue in Friendship Heights, the long-time store manager, Lana, has been unceremoniously dismissed after 10 years as the only manager that store has ever had. All she did was make money for the company year after year. All she did was build a customer base that included the White House, national recognized chefs and restaurant owners, dozens of foreign embassies, and loyal core of regular customers, all of whom were treated equally well. Her store this past year was the 20th largest in sales in an 80-plus store group. For that and 10 years of sometimes 60-70 hour weeks her reward was to be kicked to the curb by some cowardly and insecure middle managers who simply did not like her. She refused to play their stupid political games. If you want to register a complaint and or protest on behalf of Lana, by all means please consider emailing the company president, Jack Schwefel, at jack.schwefel@surlatable.com, or the architect of this shameful act, phillip stevenson at phillip.stevenson@surlatable.com, Or call them at 206-613-6064 for Jack or 312-787-5111 for Phillip.

Not to get into a flame war, but I'd guess there are two sides to this story. I've fired people who's friends would certainly not know what my full reasoning is for letting him/her go. Emails from friends of the fired would not get me to re-hire that person.

SLT has opened a store in Old Town, in the old CVS space across from the town square on King St.

La Cuisine and WS have some competition now.

SLT is open until 9 most weeknights, which is later than WS.

I'd say Old Town is a home cook's shopping destination now, with the Crate and Barrel outlet, WS, SLT and La Cuisine all within a small radius.

SLT is generally overpriced but they have some great sales.  My favorite at the 25% discount offers.  The discounts have brand exclusions and last February the disclaimer said:

The following brands have chosen not to participate in this promotion: Bob Kramer by Zwilling, Breville, Coravin, Demeyere, Emile Henry, Global, Instant Pot, Joule by ChefSteps, Jura, Kalamazoo, KitchenAid Pro Line, Le Creuset, Mauviel, Miyabi, Riedel, Scanpan, Shun, Staub, Technivorm, Thermapen, Vitamix, Wolf Gourmet, Wüsthof and Zwilling J.A. Henckels. 

No problem, I wanted a new food processor and Cuisinart is not on that list.  Not seeing PolyScience listed I decided to press my luck and order a chamber vacuum sealer.  They didn't process my purchase for several days but finally it shipped. The following week another offer came out this time it said the brand list ended with "brand exclusions subject to change."

I love my chamber vacuum sealer and that I got it for $250 off makes it even better.