Garden District (formerly Standard), 14th and S Streets - Barbecue Meets Bavaria in 14 UP

I couldn't find a thread on Standard, the new "BBQ" place on 14th in the former garden store. I put BBQ in quotes because even though pulled pork and brisket sandwiches are served, it comes across more as a sandwich place than a true BBQ place. That's not a bad thing. There's a tiny indoor space with the kitchen, a few bar stools and the bathroom. The real action is outside, with picnic tables and table service. The brisket sandwich was pretty decent - the meat was juicy and salty and tender, but I don't know if BBQ purists will really rank it highly as BBQ.

No worries. This is an excellent place to spend an hour or so on a sunny day. The beer list is interesting enough, the sandwiches are tasty, the onion rings are crisp and the servers were friendly. The price is right, too. $8 for a big sandwich, which is great for that neighborhood. The vibe is relaxed, like hanging out in a good friend's back yard. I think it's a great addition to the area.

I couldn't find a thread on Standard, the new "BBQ" place on 14th in the former garden store. I put BBQ in quotes because even though pulled pork and brisket sandwiches are served, it comes across more as a sandwich place than a true BBQ place. That's not a bad thing. There's a tiny indoor space with the kitchen, a few bar stools and the bathroom. The real action is outside, with picnic tables and table service. The brisket sandwich was pretty decent - the meat was juicy and salty and tender, but I don't know if BBQ purists will really rank it highly as BBQ.

No worries. This is an excellent place to spend an hour or so on a sunny day. The beer list is interesting enough, the sandwiches are tasty, the onion rings are crisp and the servers were friendly. The price is right, too. $8 for a big sandwich, which is great for that neighborhood. The vibe is relaxed, like hanging out in a good friend's back yard. I think it's a great addition to the area.

I'll reply.

Yeah. A great, targeted, niche-type spot. Of the neighborhood, for sure. I think today qualifies as our first 'gimme a pils' kinda hot day. Standard was a perfect spot for spending a couple hours with my best friends (wife and kid). NC-style pulled pork was tart and puckery with vinegar. Maybe not as much brown sugar and hot pepper flake as I'd like, but still my preferred style. Bun and slaw stood up to the pork.

Mexican-style (forget the specific region) roasted corn was aptly refreshing...despite incorporating cheese and mayo. Corn was already sweet. (It is only late-April, right???) Two or three roasted and ground chile varieties clinging to the mayo are roasted and ground in-house. I coated the ear liberally with lime juice and this was a big hit. The salty hard cheese also added a counterpoint to the corn's sweetness. Seasonal, so get it now.

I like the onion rings a lot. The Black Squirrel sets the bar, but these are a really solid competitor. Definitely buttermilk battered. Good pepper. Good crunch. Certainly not 'strings' or 'straws,' these are hefty enough to be two-biters, but don't require you to put them down between bites. It's a really solid onion ring.

Scrimshaw Pils and Spaten were perfect pours for today. We'll be back soon. Welcome, Standard.

I am completely, totally infatuated with this place.

The Shake Shack-ish burger is cooked pink in the middle.

The onion rings are great.

They print new menus every day.

The pork ribs are excellent.

The pulled pork sandwich is good.

The price is right.

The only downside is that it's packed to the gills from open 'til close, every day. Still, it's try to make it happen. If you can't get a seat, well, you'll just have to wander over to Bar Pilar.

Alex

Spent a wonderfully enjoyable evening here last night with a couple of friends. Just a great place to spend a sunny and pleasant couple of hours. The beers are interesting and good, the service is great, and the barbecue (last night the brisket sandwich) is actually quite fantastic. I always enjoy myself when I'm there.

The only downside to this place is that it, like Little Serow, is impossible to get a seat at unless you are there right when they open or near when they close (stop serving food). It is the place to be right now in 14 UP, for sure.

If you're just passing by, the doughnuts that the guy is frying out front ($1 apiece) are worth trying.

The only downside to this place is that it, like Little Serow, is impossible to get a seat at unless you are there right when they open or near when they close (stop serving food). It is the place to be right now in 14 UP, for sure.

If you're just passing by, the doughnuts that the guy is frying out front ($1 apiece) are worth trying.

More than Cork? Your first paragraph is a very strong one. The problem is: I respect you, and your opinion alone is likely to get me to commit an evening somewhere. So take your responsibilities seriously! Not a single negative post in this thread, and even though I haven't yet been to Standard, I've upgraded it in the Dining Guide based on all the recommendations here. It is now on my short list.

I love Standard. DPop is right that the only problem I have with it is that they're *too* successful. And I do wish it was open at night in the offseason (Dec 1-Mar 1) even if just for carryout or delivery. I had many a night this winter when I craved their brisket sandwich. It's good, honest, well-priced food. It won't be a mindblowing culinary experience, but I don't think they're trying to be at those price points.

I am excited to try Curtz's Italian place he's opening down the street in 2013 (the old Well Built space). He used to be a line cook at Two Amy's, I believe, so perhaps he'll draw his inspiration from his time there.

We have been twice at opening on weekends. The good news is that tables are plentiful. The bad news is that the donut frying machine "donot robot," was not ready. Last visit we watched a multi-stage cleaning process, hoping for eventual donut frying, but alas, had to leave before tasting the donuts. Hamburger was excellent and pulled pork is good. The beef brisket is better. Superb onion rings. This is a wonderful spot and I only wish it was closer to my home.

Don they're very different genres. Standard is about atmosphere, good beer, sandwiches and BBQ. Not going to blow your socks off in terms of creativity but the execution is solid and it is one of my 2 favorite hangouts right now along with American Ice Co.

Cork is finer dining, older crowd, not nearly as focused on atmosphere.

Standard is simpler, much younger crowd, great atmosphere.

Make your dining decision between the 2 based on that and what you're in the mood for and you will be good to go.

Was just about to post this very link. I definitely see this in my future. Hopefully my very near future.

I was at Standard on Friday and there was a pig's head on the menu for $18.18... but we got beat to the punch by another table. So get that order in quick! The place pretty much came to a standstill when Tad walked out with an enormous pig's head. It looked totally awesome and I can't wait to eat one.

Finally went there for the first time and . . . wow. The uniform rave notices are right -- as far as one can tell from a single visit, this place is great, even in the rain. Great vibe; great beer; great brisket; better-than-great onion rings. (And there were two pig's heads on sale today, but I didn't order one.)

In other threads here and on Chowhound, I've recently complained that Stachowski and Corned Beef King have a tendency to bury their excellent meats beneath way too much slaw and sauce, respectively, on their sandwiches. (Or they did in my visits, anyway.) No such problem here -- this is how you do it.

Why doesn't Standard get more attention? (not that we should be eager for more crowds and harder-to-come-by seats)

Stumbling across this thread made me wonder if people realize that the "Barbecue-Bavaria" juxtaposition is not not a hipster/trendy fusion but a reflection of the actual ethnic make-up of the barbecue country around Austin and San Antonio (and Lockhardt) . Which in turn reminded me of this song intro by Steve Earle, who grew up outside of San Antonio.

“I grew up in Schertz, Texas and attended OG Nederstein Junior High
school and I lived on Kirche St., K-I-R-C-H-E - Kirche Street. The
original white settlers in this particular part of south Texas were
probably of German descent. I know this for a fact because I used to get
the shit kicked out of me on a fairly regular basis by great big huge
cowboys called “Otto.” They were all called Otto. Otto Bob, Otto Sue…..I
didn’t know you could get from Texas to Tennessee any other way but to
hitchhike until I was 27 years old.... First time I attempted that, I was pretty
good and I got a ride all the way from Jackson Tennessee all the way to
Texas and they dropped me off at Interstate 35 at the Schertz, Texas
exit. Now, my parents no longer lived in Schertz, Texas by that time, we
were renters and we moved around a lot. But, one time they moved and
didn’t tell me…it was like…not on purpose or anything, I just didn’t go
home enough. I went home, knocked on the door and this guy came to the
door I didn’t know, a great big square-headed cowboy named Otto... Very quickly, nobody in Schertz,
Texas remembered me except the police….they were in the Christmas
spirit, however, they gave me a place to stay…."

People who know more about these things than I do say that Texas Swing has a Polka rhythm to it, as well.

• Like 1

Anyone know the heat lamp situation here during the colder months? I didn't see them out in the Fall when it started to cool down but maybe it was just the times I was there.

Heating update: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2013/02/27/standard-reopens-on-friday-with-lobster-rolls-barbecue-and-german-beer/

Seven new heat lamps have been installed on the patio. With temperatures dipping below freezing this weekend, you might need them.