Corduroy, Fine Dining at the Convention Center - Chef Tom Power's Magnificent Cooking

I have tentative plans to be there for HH on Wednesday to fete a friend who is returning to Iraq for another month or so.  We will not be testing the corkage policy, prefering to give Corduroy's by-the-glass suggestions a go.  :lol:

The Iraq-bound friend was sold on the idea of spring rolls and wine, so I think she'll be bowled over by the rest of the offerings once we go.

If you are going to have a few glasses buy a bottle and enjoy!

Finally finally made it to Corduroy tonight! It lived up to all the raves it has gotten here. The mozzarella porcupine was much fun and tasty too. The Red Snapper soup special was rich and flavorful (lots of lobster stock in there!). I had the Halibut with potato and truffle sauce; the fish was perfect, crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth buttery on the inside, and truffle sauce- what can I say?. Another favorite was a friends lamb dish with those amazing little goat cheese raviolis. Dessert was also fabulous; we passed around a cheese plate, crème brulee, chocolate sabayon, and unbelievably flavorful grape and strawberry sorbets (I'd go back just for more of those). Thank you to Rissa and Chef Tom for a meal that left us all with smiles on our faces!

Had lunch at Corduroy for the first time today. Craig and I hit the National Gallery of Art to see several exhibits we've been talking about for weeks, one of which is the Peter Claesz still-lifes. Craig thinks that looking at all that food made me hungry. Whatever. He was feeling a bit sniffly and looking for soup, so we to Tom Power's place to see what was on offer. We both had the red snapper bisque. It was really good. The cauliflower soup sounded tempting, too. And, of course, we split an order of Spring Rolls. So far, I have NEVER been there for any occasion without eating the Spring Rolls. :lol:

Oh yesterday must have been a day for art followed by a meal at Corduroy. After an evening at the Corcoran, a friend and I headed to the bar at Corduroy for what was supposed to be a drink and light bite.... Uh, okay...

First impression: the restaurant is disarming in that you do not expect such a beautiful space in a Four Point branded hotel.

The server seemed to be new as we asked about the wines by the glass and his response was "I know they are all from France." Well, alrighty... luckily I decided that his response was a good reason for me to find Rissa and ask for recommendations. I had never met Rissa but based on the fact that many on this board treat the restaurant like their meal plan, I felt like I already knew her. She was very gracious and recommended two wines for us, I had a Pinot Noir, my friend a Shiraz blend. We both liked them (I don't generally do wine but it was cold last night)

After much time discussing our "light bite," we ended up ordering the goat cheese/potato dish and the oysters on the 1/2 shell as starters and split the seared tuna entree. (I knew I should have taken a menu or written our dishes down!). The goat cheese/potato dish had a fabulous texture as a result of the combination of the fried potato shreds with the soft yet still firm goat cheese. The cheese itself was very favorable in taste. The oysters were fresh and very tasty. I am not sure what the "sauce" was but it had apple in it if I recall correctly.

The tuna... ohhhh. Lately, I have not been a fan of tuna at restaurants after having been burned on quality a few times. I am glad my friend chose the dish. It was a beautiful piece of fish prepared with just enough flair to highlight the quality of the fish.

We ordered dessert. It was my friends birthday so we chose two chocolate desserts! The chocolate tart with bannana and the saybonne (spelling) were our choices. We made our order and then the my friend's phone rang, her husband was on his way to meet us with some friends.

You have to be kidding me.... I love dessert and I love chocolate. Those were probably the two best desserts I have had at a restaurant in a long time. So I asked Rissa who the pastry chef was.... drum roll... the Chef!!! WOW. Kudos Chef.

Oh my friend's husband arrived with his friend. They coveted our dessert. We had to share just a bit... The guys decided that they wanted dinner too... They ordered a cheeseburger with fries and the spring rolls. They reported the spring rolls were great. I can report that the next time I am craving french fries, that Corduroy will be my destination. The guys had the chocolate tart for dessert.

I look forward to returning sooner than later to Corduroy. Thanks for a great evening.

Another wonderful dinner at Corduroy last night (Friday). Although we have eaten there before, this was the first time that we mentioned on the OpenTable reservation that we were DonRockwell.com members. The mozarella porcupine, cauliflower-parmesan soup, scallops, braised pork belly (you gotta try it!), and apple tart, along with a bottle of ZD Pinot Noir, were all excellent. Our server, Pamela, was among the best we have experienced anywhere--extremely welcoming and friendly without pretense; obviously proud of the restaurant, its food, and her colleagues; knowledgeable and right-on with her advice; and there when you needed her and not there when you didn't. A special thanks to Rissa for coming over to introduce herself to us and chatting for awhile. She is a delightful, gracious lady who we hope to meet again.

Ate at Corduroy last Friday for my birthday. Everything was great. I had buffalo mozzarella porcupine and the halibut, my wife had the squash soup and the scallops. Everything was cooked to perfection. I also got to meet and chat with Rissa. Truly a delightful evening.

Edited by wineitup

How often does Corduroy change its menu? If there's a downside to being a fan of Tom Power's food, it's that the menu is relatively static. At least from what I've observed since I found the place. So once you've worked your way through the menu and then tried the only recent entree addition that I've noticed - the chicken ballotine - well....then what? Will chef make off-menu dishes if you ask him to just cook something for you? Not something specific; just, you know, something that strikes his fancy.

A man can only eat so much pork belly, you know. :lol: [Was the pork belly also a recent addition? I can't remember.]

Just wanted to get myself going.

And what better way, than to sing the praises of my favorite spot.

Thanks to Tom and his crew for a mgnificent evening of food and drink for our Rocks roast.

That mushroom and crab(?) soup just added to my assertion that Chef Tom has the magic touch when it comes to that course.

The steak was out of this world good. Someone mentioned elsewhere that it was in the same league as Ray's, and I agree.

Spring rolls, Kit Kat bars and ice cream -- all excellent.

But of course the piece de resistance was the company.

I was back again; the tuna was delicious and preppared to perfection, the lamb was also wonderful with beautiful raviolini. The main courses were paired elegantly with all the right "go withs" to make for a very well thought out menu. It is painfully close to Alexandria too.

We took one of my very favorite people to Corduroy for Thanksgiving yesterday. Both she and Craig had the scallops as a first and the Beef Tenderloin as mains. I had the squash soup and the halibut. What is there left to say? All of it was cooked and sauced to perfection. No unnecessary, confusing bits of anything to mar the sheer "simplicity" of the food. We were all pretty full even before dessert showed up. (Rissa insisted that "somebody" eat the turkey, so she brought us a plate of the turkey with accoutrements for us to taste. The cranberry sauce was just about as good as it gets. Craig particularly like the dressing and wanted to know how much Tom Power would charge for a bowl of the stuff to go. :) For myself, I'm wondering what he would charge for a cup of the sauce he puts on the lamb sirloin. It would go great with home-cooked rack of lamb. Nevermind that it would make me appear to be a better cook than I am. I don't mind cheating. :) )

For dessert, our friend had the creme brulee, I had the pistachio bread pudding, and Craig had the Alsatian apple tart. All of it was very, very good; but that tart was everything the apple tart at La Fourchette was not. Wonderful. I hope he will keep this on the menu until the seasons change.

Ferhat had arranged to have the day off. He's gotten himself engaged, you know, and we speculated that he may be spending his first Thanksgiving with the In-Laws-To-Be. So, we were served by Dishy Derek's even dishier brother Tom. Tom was also required to perform some tailoring duties, but I'll save that story for a DR.com gathering. Clue: Remember Minnie Pearl? Now you'll all be sorry we won't be at the Ray's dinner. :lol::P:(

Edited by Barbara

I recently heard Corduroy has imposed a 3 bottle BYOW limit per party. Can anyone confirm this to be the case?

Hopefully this is not a joke, but check with the restaurant.

Edited: Better safe than sorry...

Edited by mdt

Hopefully this is not a joke, but I believe the limit is 3 bottles per table.

I'd check with Rissa first. After all that trouble, it wouldn't surprise me if they did away with BYO and corkage altogether. They would hardly be the first in this town to go that route.

I'd check with Rissa first.  After all that trouble, it wouldn't surprise me if they did away with BYO and corkage altogether.  They would hardly be the first in this town to go that route.

My recollection from Chef Power's one post was that they had cut it back to 2 bottles per table from an unlimited policy after people were abusing the privilege. The 3 bottles a table was a special arrangement worked out for an egullet dinner, which they extended to the infamous party in question as a courtesy since another table there at the same time was permitted three. Checking with the restaurant would seem to be a wise idea.

Corduroy has such a great wine list with really reasonable prices. In some ways, I think you might be cheating yourself to bring a bottle at all. Part of the excitement in dining is putting yourself in the hands of a capable staff and allowing them to do what they're trained to do. Corduroy has that.

The grocery-store mentality of some diners, far from enriching their experience, often leads them to further and further frustration. You can never get everything you want precisely because you do not always know exactly what you want. With no discovery there can be no wonder, no "A ha!" Sit back, relax. Tell the waiter "No, wine list for me." Or just browse. Tell them what you like: "Something white, full bodied." (Give them a dollar range, of course.) Dining shouldn't be a chore. If it sucks, then tell them and I'm sure they'll take notes.

I have a pretty good idea of what I like. Whenever I go to Corduroy I start to choose between two wines, throw my hands in the air and ask my brother or the chef to choose. Everytime it's an excellent choice.

I understand bringing a bottle when it is precious--a birth-year vintage, etc. Any first growth. DRC. Otherwise, c'mon?

My secretary just booked a dinner for my department mid-December on the day before a long series of meetings (this is not the result of my earlier query for a holiday party).

So far, I have to say I'm excited to share this place with my colleagues. Raisa has been very accomodating to us. We've gotten, what we feel, is an excellent deal for food in a private dining area with flexibility on a menu that includes a great number of choices for my colleagues. This was my task for this dinner event - work with my secretary to find a restaurant.

We all know how they are for small parties, but I wanted to say that Corduroy has thoroughly impressed us on flexibility and price as other restaurants were not at all. One restaurant wanted to only give us one choice each for appetizer, entree, and dessert. One isn't really a choice, now is it?

I was the aforementioned organized of the "e-gullet" wine dinner the night of the "incident" and I can confirm that we arranged with Rissa to bring three bottles (there were 8 of us) of Oregon Pinot and she was even nice enough to let us open a 4th (A California ringer) that one of our party brought that night after I went over and asked if okay. Think the thing is to see what they can do and be flexible, bring your bottles but also buy a wine or two off the list I agree with Derek they have a nice, well-priced list, but also nice to bring wines if you want to stay within a particular theme, varietal or whatnot. Our experience with Corduroy confirms that most restaurants, even those that have been burned, are flexible and accomodating if you respect what they are trying to do.

...in a private dining area...

I remember a lot of holiday bookings recently. And though we very much try to be flexible and accommodating, we don't want to misinform about having a private dining room. No surprises but we always inform those who ask that we only have assigned reserved sections in the back of the dining room.

I remember a lot of holiday bookings recently.  And though we very much try to be flexible and accommodating, we don't want to misinform about having a private dining room.  No surprises but we always inform those who ask that we only have assigned reserved sections in the back of the dining room.

Rissa,

The back sections will be perfect for us. It's not a holiday party or anything. I'll call the restaurant tomorrow to discuss the details.

Welcome to the two new "industry" members. dirtymartini-where do you work?

The fact of the matter is,I feel I can say this as a resturant professional,almost no one goes into the buisiness for the money.Very few independently owed resturants make thier owners rich.Most of the owners I've worked for had a passion for food and wine(fine dinning being most of my experiance).If you really wanted to make a ton of cash there are better ways to do it.Now, if your goal was to do something you are passionate about.......

I have a theory that I call the "Swingers paradox". Now before everyone starts getting too excited I'm talking about the movie Swingers w/ John Favreau and Vince Vaughan. When it came out in 96 all my friends immediately pronounced it the greatest movie they had ever seen. When I finally got around to seeing it a few months later, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about - while it was a good, funny movie, my expectations had been elevated so much by others that I was expecting some genre-shattering occurrence, which didn't happen.

Corduroy defied the Swingers paradox last night. For a good 18 months I've read reports on this and other boards giving testament to the quality of the dishes Tom Power was creating, and while I did spend one Chimay-fueled, slightly rowdy evening in the bar area back in March with 15 or 20 colleagues and snacked on the lumpia, I had never really eaten there. We've been planning on going for ages but one thing or another always cropped up - once we made a reservation close to a major holiday, only to discover that they were offering a set menue that night and I wanted to be able to order from the whole menu so we passed, another night a sick child intervened etc etc.

Well last night we finally made it with our daughter and my parents in tow. Quite simply the food was divine. We started with some lumpia, which managed to be faithful to my mother-in-law's (and Rissa's moms) versions while also being different. We all had soups, my wife and I had the red snapper bisque (at first I did not see it on the menu and was worried but it was available as a special) and my folks the cauliflower parmesan soup.

Both were excellent. The bisque in particular was sublime, wonderfully rich and packing an intense flavor. The taste I had of the cauliflower soup was also good.

For entrees I had the pork belly, my wife had the scallops, my mom had halibut and my dad had the wagyu beef.

The pork belly........OH MY GOD.....words literally fail me. After the first unctuous little parcel of fat and flesh slid down my throat I think my eyes rolled into the back of my head. Its THAT good. It was served on some cabbage but I didn't care, it was all about getting the pork belly in MAH BELLY. The next 10 minutes were all about trying to savor every molecule of taste from this amazing dish.

Although I was feeling quite full by now I took one for the team and bravely accepted one of my wifes scallops. Each scallop is served atop a mushroom on a bed of mashed potatoes with a chardonnay sauce. The scallops were nicely seared, and the mushrooms, potatoes and scuae all combined to give each mouthful a delicate truffly flavor.

My moms halibut was also pronounced as delicious by a notoriously fussy eater. My Dads loved his steak. Based on the mouthful I had I would probably prefer the steak at Bucks but that is neither here nor there.

We opted for dessert to go as our daughter was getting a little tired. The desserts were not only tasty but also withstood a 30 minute drive back to our house - I was particularly fond of the Kit Kat dessert.

Thanks to Rissa, Ferhat (nice wine suggestion), Pamela, and of course Tom for a lovely early dinner. I hope everyone has fun at the happy hour tonight.

This posting is long overdue, but I do want to sing the praises again (not that it needs it) for Corduroy. Another great meal was had the day after Thanksgiving. However, permit me to rant for a minute. I feel sorry for Tom Power. His food deserves to be showcased on a nicer stage than the Sheraton Four Points. I wonder how many of the hotel guests realize how special the restaurant in their hotel is and, as others have hypothesized, I wonder if being in a restaurant limits the flexibility in changing the menu. Not that I mind, since I am still working me way through most of it. At one point during our meal, I heard someone at the table next to us ask if the restaurant served hot dogs (the youngest child at the table could not have been younger than 10 years old). Shortly thereafter, I overheard someone else order the lamb sirloin "extra well-done" (whatever that means). The jeans (and the $5 Washington DC t-shirt that one of the children was wearing) left no doubt that they were hotel guests. I felt like smashing a plate over the father's head and yelling "You idiot! Don't you know how lucky you are?" However, since my mother taught me good manners at an early age, and since she was at the table with me, I kept my plate firmly on the table.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system smile.gif . Anyway, as we were not in too much of a drinking mood, my wife and I each ordered a glass of wine. One touch that I like about Corduroy's wine service is that, even if you only order wine by the glass, they bring out the bottle and give you a taste before pouring the full glass. I wish more places treated "by the glass" wine service like Corduroy. If my memory is correct, I had a wonderful Cote Du Rhone. For appetizers, I started with the Mozzarella Porcupine, which was a beautiful combination of smooth mozzarella and crunch "porcupine" topping. My entrée consisted of the lamb with goat cheese raviolini, which was as wonderful as others have described. My wife had the scallops with the chardonnay sauce, and the two bites that I was allowed to have were wonderful. My mother's salmon must have been terrific, since she cleaned her plate, which is something she rarely does. It was nice to get a chance to talk with Rissa, who made all of us feel welcome (by the way, I think she is getting tired of the "I'm only planning on bringing 1 bottle of wine" jokes cool.gif ). She brought us the wonderful Kit Kat bars, which was the perfect ending to our meal. Thanks again to Rissa and Chef Tom for a wonderful meal.

Sad to report that the 89 Beaucastel is now off the list.

Happy to report, however, that the last bottle was fantastic. :lol:

As was the Niman Ranch pork belly (no surprise there) and the leg portion of tonight's Muscovy duck special. I love, by the way, that the cabbage that accompanies the pork belly is cooked with, among other things, little bits of bacon. No such thing as too much swine!

Sad to report that the 89 Beaucastel is now off the list.

Happy to report, however, that the last bottle was fantastic. :lol:

As was the Niman Ranch pork belly (no surprise there) and the leg portion of tonight's Muscovy duck special. I love, by the way, that the cabbage that accompanies the pork belly is cooked with, among other things, little bits of bacon. No such thing as too much swine!

I was there tonight too! The duck was amazing. The leg portion was like butter. I tell you, butter... and the sauce with bits of fig... yum....

Our meal consisted of:

the buffalo porcupine

the spring rolls

muscovy duck

the roast chicken

blackberry sorbet

the saboynne (sp?)

Happy. Very... This place is a gem. We got a lot of work done and had a great meal. And I now understand the Slow Food movement!

Well, I convinced my boss to take me and her two other underlings to Coruduroy tomorrow (Tuesday) for our holiday lunch.

I've never been other than dinner, so I thought I'd ask what's good these days. Are scallops still in season? I haven't tried them yet there.

Just look at the menu, figure out what you are in the mood for, and order it. Honestly, everything is good, so its really just a mood thing.

Saturday night took me to Corduroy for what was another great meal on my own a bientô tour of DC. I've posted something longer with a few asides on my personal blog, but I want to put a word in for the seared ahi tuna on sushi rice, which was one of the best dishes I've had this year.

I've had rice before. Tons of it. At least four times a week growing up, in dozens of different cuisines. But the sushi rice I enjoyed at Corduroy was the best rice I think I've ever had. It was presented as a base, but despite the deliciousness of the tuna (seared perfectly, delicious pepper crust, absolutely excellent on its own) it was the highlight of the plate. The spicing -- a spike of soy, it seemed, seaweed, shiso, and something I couldn't put my finger on -- was superb. The texture rivalled any rice I've had at finer Japanese restaurants. Paired with the tuna, the dish was out of this world. I've woken up many mornings thinking of something I'd eaten the night before -- but rice has never been the primary thought.

I could go on and on, but Doctor, if the seared tuna is on the menu I could not recommend it more highly. I thought I'd be upset, what with the pork belly not on the bar menu. I was wrong, and quite happily so!

Thanks, btw, to Ferhat and Rissa for saying hello. It was nice to see you both again -- I hope to return for the pork belly before I leave town!

(edited to add: here's a link to my blog entry if anyone is interested)

K

Edited by RWBooneJr.

sssssugar

Rocks is right again. The seaweed(Hijiki) is cured with sugar before it arrives at the restaurant. The rice is made with ginger, basil, lemongrass, thai chilli, grated fresh coconut, salt and a little bit of butter.

Edited by Tom Power

Tonight we had a dinner at Corduroy after a day of intensive meetings that started at 7:30 am. We had a few cancellations, but they are the ones that are really out of the loop tomorrow.

Oh, my God. I've had lunch here before, but our dinner was sublime. I admit I was a bit nervous when I walked into the restaurant with 14 bottles of wine. I told Rissa it was our appreciation gifts. In stride, she played along and told me we could open 3 with a sly smile.

After we finally got the whole party to sit down and order, we had an incredibly good time. Our table had a pescetarian (my boss) who didn't like snapper, so Tom Power put together a plate of veg and starch that wowed him. I had the pork belly. This dish took the lowly cut to new heights. I hate fat, but this was what could only be called a "creamy fat." I ate every bit and was left looking for more.

The most surreal experience was going to the men's room and heading past the gym...with a belly full of fat.

Colleagues commented that the squash soup was excellent and the chicken what chicken should be - moist and rich.

Sadly I had to skip dessert as I had to run off to get my kid's prescription, but as I was leaving, my VP was eating the dessert I had ordered and proclaimed it the best he'd had in years.

This is truly one of the best kept secrets in this city.

Now with a belly full of belly, I am happy. :)

I've really enjoyed my last two experiences at Corduroy and it is where I'm hoping to take my visiting family this Thursday night. This time I plan on ordering the scallops, which I've previously only had the pleasure of stealing bites of off dining companions' plates.

Only one potential issue -- my brother is a vegetarian (but not vegan). I recall a number of good vegetarian starters but don't recall if there is a vegetarian main course. The menu on Menupix.com looks like it is from the bar and not the main dining room. Research on this thread has generated lots of praise for seafood/meat entrees but not so much for anything vegetarian.

Any frequent Corduroy diners have any reports on vegetarian mains? Should I consider dining elsewhere for the evening and returning only in the company of fellow carnivores? Or tell my brother to load up on spring rolls/mozarella porcupines/those insanely good soups?

I don't know if the squash soup I had there recently is still available or is fully vegetarian, however it was wonderful! Maybe you could call and ask (unless one of the wonderful staff members posts a response) for suggested dishes that are vegetarian friendly?

Maybe you could call and ask (unless one of the wonderful staff members posts a response) for suggested dishes that are vegetarian friendly?

I am confident that with a quick call in advance, they will be able to provide some great vegetarian entree options for you that will be just as delicious as the meaty ones.

I am confident that with a quick call in advance, they will be able to provide some great vegetarian entree options for you that will be just as delicious as the meaty ones.

Ditto that. However, I could happily make a meal out of the squash or cauliflower soup, the beet salad, and a plate of those goat cheese ravioli that are normally served with lamb. I'm sure Power can accomodate vegetarians without blinking an eye :)

Ditto that.  However, I could happily make a meal out of the squash or cauliflower soup, the beet salad, and a plate of those goat cheese ravioli that are normally served with lamb.  I'm sure Power can accomodate vegetarians without blinking an eye  :)

i know from sending an office colleague there last week -- he does, in fact, accommodate vegetarians without blinking an eye.

Chef Power is usually using chicken stock in the soups. Ths squash soup has also foie gras in it (besides the chix stock).

But we`ve been accomodating our vegeterian guests as well. Some of the appetizers are vegeterian and as the main course we serve a great combination of mixed seasonal vegetables. But be careful because other people in your party might try to steal those from your plate.

Some of the appetizers are vegeterian and  as the main course we serve a great combination of mixed seasonal vegetables. But be careful because other people in your party might try to steal those from your plate.

Or, they might try to swipe your rice. I know I would. Man, that stuff is good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, folks. I should have assumed there would be some meat in the spring rolls, and they sound better for it. Are they generally available only on the bar menu or in the dining room as well? I suppose one could always request something off the bar menu...

I'm definitely considering the pork belly considering the raves for it on this board. Is it a starter or an entree? Because it would be hard to pass up the scallops for an entree. I'm also hoping that halibut will be on offer, as I know that will make at least two in the party thrilled. But I've enjoyed all the fish I've tasted at Corduroy, so not too much loss if it isn't around. As for my vegetarian brother, I'll put him in the capable hands of Chef Power. I hope the rice is somehow involved...

Speaking of the scallops at Corduroy - where do those come from? (And please, spare me answers like "the ocean" and "a shell."  :) )

Tom Power told me back in May that he gets them from New Jersey and he assured me that they do not come from the Hudson River. :o