Wine Shipping, Moving and Storage

bigpinot

As a Wine Rack client, I can tell you that they are pretty much the only game in town (DC proper, anyway). As to pricing, compared to equivalent space in NYC, or CA, expect to pay more per case for less access, and no delivery support functionality. Worse where there is none, however.

Ended up packing the wine myself and hiring a local moving company to move it to my parent's basement for the next 3 years. Except for the breakage of a double magnum of Bourdeaux and a long argument with the moving guys that 200% over the estimated quote is not acceptable everything is now set. I found out there are no restrictions on taking wine to Germany so I ended up packing 6 cases in boxes with foam inserts for packing with my household goods. Hopefully they'll make it over there. Finally, I have to give a big shout out to Joe Riley who sold me 60 wine boxes and inserts at cost. It was a tremendous help.

Ended up packing the wine myself and hiring a local moving company to move it to my parent's basement for the next 3 years. Except for the breakage of a double magnum of Bourdeaux and a long argument with the moving guys that 200% over the estimated quote is not acceptable everything is now set. I found out there are no restrictions on taking wine to Germany so I ended up packing 6 cases in boxes with foam inserts for packing with my household goods. Hopefully they'll make it over there. Finally, I have to give a big shout out to Joe Riley who sold me 60 wine boxes and inserts at cost. It was a tremendous help.

California and Washington state wine have poor distribution in Europe relative to what you might expect here. Almost everything from here is ridiculously expensive, too. Yet, there are very competitive prices on European wine (and South African) if you shop. Similar to here the differences in price from one shop to another can be staggering. Take a look at www.winesearcher.com and type in a particular wine and then type in Germany. For Italian, Spanish and German with a bit of patience and, if you are in the right city (Garibaldi in Munich is very good-four stores) you'll find prices better, perhaps much better than here. Within Italy there is a huge variation on price for the exact same bottle. Generally, an enoteca in a small town (i.e. Al Gambero in Soave as an example) will be much cheaper than a larger city. I've actually been buying wine for years in each of these two stores (paying for it over the telephone) and asking them to hold it for me until I can pick it up in person when I'll bring it back in my luggage. The problem is that today I can pack 7 or 8 bottles total in my two checked bags when years ago I could bring back 15 or 16 including 7 or 8 in a strong leather carry on.

I've been in outstanding wine shops in Munich, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Bremen-all over Germany. Again, if you shop you'll find good deals; if you don't for some wines Costco here will be cheaper.

Germany has the best reisling in the world, often at remarkable prices. I think a very sophisticated wine drinking public, too.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2009 at 1:58 PM, Keithstg said:

As a Wine Rack client, I can tell you that they are pretty much the only game in town (DC proper, anyway). As to pricing, compared to equivalent space in NYC, or CA, expect to pay more per case for less access, and no delivery support functionality. Worse where there is none, however.

New entrant to the market since then (Domaine Wine Storage):  300,000 Bottles Of Wine Live In This Old, Underground Rolls Royce Dealership, by Travis Mitchell, Jul 31, 2017 11:55 am, dcist.com.

1 hour ago, dcs said:

New entrant to the market since then (Domaine Wine Storage):  300,000 Bottles Of Wine Live In This Old, Underground Rolls Royce Dealership, by Travis Mitchell, Jul 31, 2017 11:55 am, dcist.com.

Competition for this market is terrific - I was a Wine Rack customer something like *25 years ago*. In fact, that's where I met Joe Riley.

That said, at nearly $3 per bottle, per year, that is one heck of a lot of money.

1 hour ago, dcs said:

DCist is late to the party - Domaine has been in business for years now. Those considering storing wine at Domaine may want to read this first - unsurprisingly Lazar didn't get into this in his interview: Lazar charged with two felony counts

2 hours ago, Keithstg said:

DCist is late to the party - Domaine has been in business for years now. Those considering storing wine at Domaine may want to read this first - unsurprisingly Lazar didn't get into this in his interview: Lazar charged with two felony counts

This is as ridiculous as it would be if Anthony Scaramucci had already lost his job as White House Communications Director.