hmmboy

Red Apron, Neighborhood Restaurant Group's Butcher and Charcuterie in Several Area Locations

I just finished an awesome sandwich of Red Apron's (Nathan Anda) pastrami.This salty, fatty, spicy beef is the best pastrami I have tasted outside of New York City. It is sold in chunks that approximate 6 ounces for $6 at the Dupont Farmers Market (and probably elsewhere). Sliced and heated, with the fat freely flowing - its great stuff. Also a shout out to the Pain de Campagne bread from Crest Hill (Upper Crust) bakery in Silver Spring on which the marbly meat was placed (with some Batampte Jewish deli mustard). This bread, which is par baked and sold at the local Whole Foods markets, is my favorite local bread and is especially superb for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Has anyone tried their hotdogs?

Pastrami has got to go with either pumpernickel, rye or swirl. No caraway seeds, thank you B) .

Pastrami has got to go with either pumpernickel, rye or swirl. No caraway seeds, thank you B) .

Their pastrami is to die for. The hot dogs don't do it for me, though I understand they are popular.

Their pastrami is to die for. The hot dogs don't do it for me, though I understand they are popular.

Must get the pastrami then. Any recs for mustard?

good Jewish rye with seeds is preferred, but I've tasted no such animal in these parts.

Brooklyn's Deli in Potomac/Rockville has fantastic rye bread.

Hot dogs are quite good but pricey. I like to split and pan fry in butter.

Must get the pastrami then. Any recs for mustard?

I hesitate to say this because they usually are in short supply, but their guanciale is fantastic with pasta (e.g., in this recipe).

Yes, I thought that too when the Red Apron sales person told me a rotisserie chicken costs $18.00 last weekend.

Yes, I thought that too when the Red Apron sales person told me a rotisserie chicken costs $18.00 last weekend.

Well, I always questioned how a rotisserie chicken in a grocery store can cost less than what I can buy it for uncooked (or something close to that). I think I'd pay more if for no other reason than to feel like I'm getting some sort of a service. Is Red Apron open now?

Well, I always questioned how a rotisserie chicken in a grocery store can cost less than what I can buy it for uncooked (or something close to that). I think I'd pay more if for no other reason than to feel like I'm getting some sort of a service. Is Red Apron open now?

Red Apron is open now and the few times I've been to Mom's next door, it looks like good volume going thru the doors.

Interesting. I actually think the opposite. If I'm buying a chicken from a grocery store, I would expect to pay more. At a 'takeout place' I would expect to pay a little less since the volume of buying would get them better prices.

My expectation may be incorrect to make in the first place but perhaps it is a result of confusion on the purpose of these kind of hybrid places. Is it really a butcher, fast food place or a restaurant?

My sincere apologies, I posted at work and I've noticed lately the IT gremlins have gotten better at screwing with my participation in forums. What I intended to say was that last Friday I picked up lunch for a friend and myself at Red Apron.

Our choices were from the hot sandwich selection; the Meatball and Muffaletta, which we split back at her house. Both were delicious. I knew I was not getting a Central Grocery muffaletta, but I really liked it anyway, it was the tenderest Ciabatta style bun I've ever had, usually when I get those they are tough as a shoe.

The Meatball was delish, very messy, like a debris po-boy but...meatballs, and well seasoned ones at that. While waiting for my 'wiches, I gazed lovingly at the butcher case. The gent behind it asked if he could help me, and I told him I was just picking up lunch, but I would be back! Everyone who works there was really nice, and I look forward to exploring it further.

It reminds me a bit of a German butcher store in my hometown, called "Schneller's" ("The Wurst Place in Town"). I went there with mom when very young, and Bob Schneller would throw me a slice of baloney. My parents later changed their shopping habits to supermarkets, but I returned to Schneller's later in life when I was discovering good food, and fondly remember their smoked chicken breasts, liverwurst with mushrooms, teawursts and levercase (especially when still hot from the oven!!) Sadly, my hometown butcher closed after decades of business, but Red Apron strikes me as a modern version of that.

Our choices were from the hot sandwich selection; the Meatball and Muffaletta, which we split back at her house. Both were delicious. I knew I was not getting a Central Grocery muffaletta, but I really liked it anyway, it was the tenderest Ciabatta style bun I've ever had, usually when I get those they are tough as a shoe.

My expectation may be incorrect to make in the first place but perhaps it is a result of confusion on the purpose of these kind of hybrid places. Is it really a butcher, fast food place or a restaurant?

Interesting. I just assumed it'd be a butcher with raw/cured/cooked meats to purchase by the pound, not a take-out joint, too. Surprisingly, Mosaic's Facebook page hasn't publicized Red Apron's opening like it has (almost to a fault) the other storefronts.

Lunch here today w/ a friend-I got the muffuletta & a Victory saison (too hoppy for lunch for me) & a meatball sub for her. I love it when you're comfortable enough around friends to share, we cut off pieces of sandwich to swap. I liked them both, maybe slightly preferred her meatball, only because I've decided that I think I prefer a muffuletta that's not heated (the only mufs I have to compare it to are the one from Cochon Butcher in NO, which is also heated, & my homemade concoction of Italian meats & olive salad on a baguette).

Attractive shop, everyone was uniformly nice, asking how we liked our food, & gave me a bag for the remains of the sandwich, my friend's verdict, 'yuppy sandwich shop' (do people still use the term yuppy?), I liked it, but wanted more cold sandwich choices (thought about getting the turkey, but was hesitant on the mostarda), thought about, but didn't pickup a bottle of Bittermens grapefruit bitters, & would return, if I were over in that area again....

I got carded at the Merrifield Mosaic location for my six pack of ale! *happy youthful dance*

Other than the ego boost, service was friendly and helpful in a store empty of patrons scared away by morning rain. A few shaved ounces of Finocchiona ($20/lb) did not last the drive home---tasty, but needed a punch of more fennel and spice before wowing on it's own. I'm searing two beef shanks now (can't remember the price), creating a stew, cheating with Red Apron's beef suet ($5) and stock ($6) for maximum flavor boost. We'll see if the smoked Maldon salt ($6) can further work magic.

(note to future self)

(grocery shopping during rain)

(is the stuff peace is made of)

Red Apron made a fan out of me today. The chick pea and chorizo salad is wonderful, and would be a worthy appetizer or side at any number of good restaurants. The barbecued pork rillette is addictive, and I say this after consuming nearly half a pound of it....also bought the parmesan sausages for the grill but haven't cooked them yet....

Loving this place....!

• Like 1

As a note, they stop serving at Mosaic at 8:00 pm, 7:00 pm on Sunday.  Hubby and I were running an errand to Target and I wanted to go to Red Apron, so we went to the Target at Mosaic, but didn't catch it in time, 8:10 pm.  I guess since Mosaic is new places have limited hours, but to stop serving at 8:00 pm on a Friday night just seemed odd to me. I hope they expand the hours, if Mosaic wants to be a destination people need to be able to go out there in the evening and not have everything closed up.  

We've been very impressed by the sandwiches and Nate's fries (cooked in aged beef fat) on offer at the Mosaic District location.  The only other sandwich joint (so excluding fine dining establishments that charge a much higher price) that is comparable would be SunDeVich.  They're also selling an excellent bolognese sauce that has the rich taste of a good restaurant bolognese sauce. 

2013 Best Burgers per Burger Days Website.

Need to try the Red Apron version.

To me the distinguishing feature of the Red Apron burger is the grind.  Very coarse, almost (but not quite) better described as chopped rather than ground.  The flavor is good, but the 5oz patty feels just a bit small for the volume of bread and toppings that accompanies it.  I'm nitpicking for the most part, though.  It's a good burger.  And their fries, apparently cooked in beef fat, are remarkably flavorful.

We ate there after a fairly long break a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, we went for the turkey sandwich for my white-meat-poultry-vore wife, but it was off the menu. Instead, the only non-beef or pork item was a chicken salad sandwich which used white and dark meat. The helpful counter guy said it wasn't much dark, but oh, was he wrong!! I enjoyed the muffaletta I ordered. I doubt if we'll be going back together unless they add some other options. It's too bad; I like the idea of Red Apron more than the execution and price, I have to say. For two sandwiches, two bags of chips and two drinks (bottles of tea and root beer) the total was $25!!

As an aside, I tried the meatball sandwich because of the hype and did not like it at all! I thought the texture was off-putting and the flavor was not was I expected for a meatball sandwich.