The Green Pig Bistro, Modern-American Gastropub on N Fillmore St, Clarendon

I stopped in here last night for a very quick bite before heading over to Artisan Confections for the demo.  I had about 35 minutes and the bar was full, so I talked to the host and explained that I needed something very quick.  I sat outside, the waiter showed up within a minute, got my drink order, came back with my beer and took my order for the Kung Pao sweetbreads -- I asked which was faster between that and another appetizer, and went with the speedier dish -- and within 5 minutes, I had a cold beer and a hot dish, so I actually could relax and eat my dinner at a reasonable pace.  The waiter checked on me a couple of times, brought the bill as soon as I asked for it, and I was out of there and heading down the street with about 3 minutes to spare.  The sweetbreads were good, expertly fried, perfectly creamy inside and crunchy outside.  It's just a preparation that doesnt' allow for a lot of the flavor of the sweetbreads to come through.  The beer I ordered was the Port City Monumental IPA; too hoppy for my tastes to drink alone, but a good pairing for the fried food.    Kudos to the FOH staff for being so on their game for me.

• Like 1

Had a late brunch at Green Pig this past weekend.  Had the huevos rancheros, very meat heavy, which I am not complaining about, the meat was tender and nicely shredded with good seasoning.  It was a big portion, but I managed to polish it off.  The eggs were perfectly runny which I really enjoy.  The sauce was flavorful, but I liked it a little better with some of their hot sauce added.

Hubby ordered poutine for me since I had never had it, this was a miss for me.  For one it is non-traditional.  The gravy was on the bottom so you didn't get much on the top part, two it didn't pair as well with the cheese they use, there was also foie gras perhaps?  not sure, but it just wasn't the best flavor profile ever.

This is turning into our go to Clarendon spot.  The shrimp appetizer is totally addicting and the beat/ricotta/honey combo is excellent too.  We have tried many of the main dishes and all are quite good, including the pork chop and the bacon cheeseburger.  The steak frites dish was a bit salty last time I ordered that, but I don't generally like salt at all so am a little hypersensitive to it.  The only miss so far was the pumpkin ravioli, which was a bit flat.  The only dessert we have tried is the apple tart with ginger ice cream (or maybe it was sorbet).  Holy crap, it was delicious.

Sit at the bar with Andrew and you will enjoy good food AND great conversation.  Really nice guy and extremely knowledgeable.

• Like 1

The bacon cheeseburger is really good.  Now I am not going to say it's better than a certain other well regarded award winning burger place nearby, but I would say there is a tight competition.  It is just all around good.  I love Green Pig Bistro.  My Mom had shrimp and grits and really enjoyed that too.  

This place hasn't gotten much attention recently, so I figure I'd add my update.  It attracts a good crowd on a Monday night and for good reason.  The food is good as ever, in fact more consistent than my past experiences.  The appetizer portions seem bigger than before (most notable in the snail mushroom toast), which more than make up for the increase in price.  We really enjoyed our meal here and should come back more often. 

Does anyone know how Scot is doing?

I haven't been in nearly a year, so I only know from public reports that that Scot's family suffered a loss.  I do happen to know the long-standing beverage director Andrew moved on, and he is currently at Dino's. (Ask him about his ginger beer efforts--he used to make an incredible dark and stormy with it at GPB)

Truthfully, I'm not surprised the place continues to put out great food. I need to plan a return visit.

Went here last night for the first time (I work in Arlington but live in Frederick so rarely eat at sit-down restos in Arlington that re only opening in the evening). I've meant to go for years. I had a wahoo special with a sort of gazpacho sauce, and my brother had the miso black cod on the regular menu. My wahoo was excellent, and there was no issue with the food being too-salty as Tom Sietsema remarked when GP first opened. We also had cornbread on the side--it was sweet and more corn muffin than cornbread but not bad. I was glad to see it so busy in an area that is otherwise off the main drag of Clarendon, but it proves people will come if the food is good. 

36 minutes ago, astrid said:

Green Pig Bistro is as good as it's ever been.  We really liked our recent meals there.  

Thanks for the update. I was wondering myself. My gang used to be regulars there for about the first year or so after opening, and were pretty friendly with Scott and the staff. Then we all either moved out of the neighborhood or had kids and whatnot so, absence by attrition. Always really appreciated what they were doing and Scott definitely worked himself ragged getting the place up and running. I'm overdue for a reunion.

Speaking of which, way back when, he kept telling us they were taking over the place next door and opening a full-service butcher/charcuterie. Doesn't seemed to have happened, but anyone have info intel on why?

Never heard about the expansion plans though that would be a wonderful addition to upper Arlington.

GPB may no longer get the buzz but they are still very popular with the locals.  They would have nearly fully packed houses for Sunday and Monday dinners.

As a local, I've been here many times with my wife.  Since she was out with friends, I took my 10 year old son here tonight.  Glad to see a good crowd in August.  Split crab arancini and had the bacon cheeseburger, which hit the spot.  My diminutive partner had the "plat du jour", lasagna, which he declared the best he's ever had.  What they do well they do better than any of the competition in the surrounding area.  Whoever is lamenting the downfall of Clarendon dining needs to remember this little stretch with Artisan Confections and Screwtop as well.

• Like 3

When I lived in Courthouse a couple of years ago, GPB was my "local". I returned last night with a couple of friends who wanted to check out the recent expansion. They recently extended the bar area--it's probably at least doubled in size. The new space looks great, and it's a vast improvement over the original area, since it became overcrowded quite quickly.

While the menu has certainly changed, the executive chef Pierre Saussy has remained, and the food was as good as I remember it. The "buffalo" ribs, now offered on the happy hour menu, were as delicious as before. My friend enjoyed his porterhouse pork chop, and I think the bacon cheeseburger is still the benchmark for DC/NOVA. 

If Mo is working the bar, he's usually happy to make something unique/off-menu if you ask. Last night, he made an old-fashioned with muddled oranges that was quite different--in a positive way--from any version I've had before. 

I also learned GPB is now open for lunch. Sadly, my office is too far for a lunch trip, but I look forward to a return trip. 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2016 at 11:49 AM, astrid said:

Green Pig Bistro is as good as it's ever been.  We really liked our recent meals there.  

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I remember loving the eclectic menu when GPB first opened, with those lovely ox heart reubens and the different take on fried chicken along with things like rabbit cake and poutine.  I went with a few friends the other night and the menu was timid by comparison, replacing those reubens with fried chicken biscuits, the rabbit cake with meatballs, and the overall theme of the menu shifting towards familiar American with several dishes moving to $30+ (I don't remember anything over $20-22 a few years ago, but again my memory might be failing me).  I got the Bacon Cheeseburger after reading some of the praise on here and being informed that the special that night, a hearty sounding meatloaf, was sold out for the night at 7:15.  As a quick aside, what's the deal with this?  We went to the Riggsby when they were running their Sunday night duck special and were informed at 7:30 that they had run out and, if we wanted to partake, that we should get in before 6:30.  I understand that restaurants don't want to over-order components of a dish that they'll have for only 1 night, but running out before 8pm? A bit frustrating.  Anyway, my burger didn't hold a candle to what The Riggsby is currently putting out, as I learned when I was told that I was not getting any duck. It wasn't bad, but I found it to be really greasy and cooked a couple minutes past the requested medium rare, which gave it an overly charred flavor that was a bit offputting.

• Like 2

Had dinner with a group of five friends here on Friday and left underwhelmed. While I ordered the lasagna special, everyone else at the table ordered a burger (four cheeseburgers, one bacon cheeseburger). We also put in orders for side salads, brussels sprouts, cornbread, and fried pimento cheese. Of the items I tried, the cornbread with maple butter was outstanding and I would have eaten the whole order myself if I could. The fried pimento cheese was also good though I would have liked it a bit spicier. I had a second bite of the cheese before our entrees were cleared and it was no longer piping hot. Needless to say, not very good at room temperature. Not the restaurant's fault that no one wanted the last pimento cheese though. I had, and still have, mixed feelings about the lasagna. On one hand, I love lasagna, it was cooked well, ratio of meat:cheese:noodles:sauce was about right, and it was a very filling portion. On the other hand, the sauce was very sweet and that nearly overpowered the dish. I didn't dislike it that much as I ate half and took the rest home for lunch on Monday, but I was still a bit disappointed. 

For dessert, we all shared the caramel pots de creme, chocolate mousse, warm chocolate cake, and the bread pudding. They were all very good with the caramel pots de creme being the favorite of the bunch. I also really liked the chocolate mousse but it was very rich and I couldn't have more than two bites. 

It was a fun dinner for a group with varying tastes, but I am not likely to rush back, especially since I don't live in the area. 

• Like 1

Since my wife and I dine out significantly less than we used to due to the kiddos (dragging 14 month old twins and a 3.5 year old out isn't my idea of relaxing) - we chose Green Pig on Saturday evening due to its proximity to our home in Ballston, ability to walk around and grab a drink somewhere after dinner and just general disinterest in heading downtown.  We walked in around 730 without reservations and were able to easily grab 2 seats that had recently opened up at the bar.  

Its been a couple years since I've dined here - and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the meal.  Nothing was earth shattering, but everything we ordered was executed well and delicious...and the bartender (whose name I regrettably missed) despite taking care of a relatively full bar didn't miss a beat and was just genuinely very nice.  

We ordered:

- Charcuterie and Cheese plate - pretty standard but did the trick as we enjoyed a glass of wine and a cocktail (mulled wine with apple cider that my wife very much enjoyed)

- Filet for her and Scallops and Pork Belly for me - both were really well done, cooked as they should be, and very satisfying on a chilly winter evening.  I would order the Scallops and Pork Belly again in a heart beat (my wife cleaned her plate so I didn't snag a taste of hers)

- Pistacio creme brulee - a very good rendition that really leaned heavy on the pistacio (which I liked).

We enjoyed a simple but ideal for balancing across the meal bottle of Beaujolais and walked out satisfied with the overall quality, general relaxed vibe of the place and price of the experience.  We'll put this up higher on whatever amounts for our "regular" rotation after Saturday night. 

• Like 5

Tracy O’Grady is now the Executive chef at Green Pig.

As executive chef, O’Grady intends to put her personal stamp on the menu while respecting its roots. “It’s called Green Pig for a reason,” she says, alluding to the Clarendon bistro’s Southern-influenced concept, in which pork has long played a starring role. Signature dishes such as chicken & biscuits, buffalo pork ribs and burgers will remain, as will the cornbread (“It’s some of the best I’ve ever had,” she says).  But diners can also expect a few tweaks, including a some vegetarian options and more seafood dishes.

The chef also plans to resurrect a few fan favorites from Willow, such as gazpacho and flatbreads.

• Like 4

As big fans of Tracy O'Grady, we've ordered carryout from here twice during this pandemic (like other restaurants in VA, they're now open for table seating outside and, to some extent, inside) and the food was terrific both times.  Tonight, we got:

The Perfectly Porked Panini (it comes with a basil mayo.  I am a mayo h8er, asked to hold the basil mayo and, btw, could I get a small container of the chimichurri that goes with the hanger steak?  Why yes, and it actually went really well with the sandwich.)  I got the side salad with it - lovely baby lettuces, with carrot and fennel, and a balsamic dressing).

Hanger steak - cooked perfectly.  Accompanied by a black bean and bacon cake, plus a grilled ear of corn with elote.

Desserts - salted toffee cookie (awesome, and it went surprisingly well with some (EDIT: black raspberry, not blackberry, as I typed last night in a food coma) chip ice cream from Toby's in Westover) and a cherry pie for "at least" 2.  We haven't had the pie yet.

I'll add photos in the morning. 

Support GPB if you can.  Is it $$$?  Yes.  Worth every penny in deliciousness?  Also yes.  

Edited by captcourt
black raspberry v different from blackberry!!!
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, captcourt said:

As big fans of Tracy O'Grady, we've ordered carryout from here twice during this pandemic (like other restaurants in VA, they're now open for table seating outside and, to some extent, inside) and the food was terrific both times. 

Tracy O'Grady is no longer listed as Executive Chef on the Green Pig website.  Anybody know what happened here?

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

She is now.

(If I knew Ramberto’s last name, I’d be happy to put him in the title.)

IMG_1745.png

That is totally weird. What got me looking at this was this recent article at Eater DC which says it was last updated February 26, 2024.  In the blurb about Green Pig it says:

The menu’s currently undergoing a transition, though, courtesy of new ownership and a new chef, Laurence Cohen.

Then I checked the Green Pig website and it listed Laurence Cohen as Executive Chef with no mention of Tracy O'Grady or Brian Wolken.  

Strange.