Lunch - The Mid-Day, Polyphonic Food Blog

Anna Blume

Yesterday's lunch was baguette slices and fontina cheese plus baked penne rigate in tomato sauce with Parmesan. I had a small amount of a box of the penne hanging around and decided it would be a good way to use some spaghetti sauce and extra canned tomato sauce I had in the fridge. I made a Le Creuset individual gratin dish of this for my husband, topped with shredded mozzarella (bottomless Costco bag) and grated Parmesan. I had my fair share of bread and cheese.

Today was a chimichurri pasta and grain salad using the remaining cooked penne and leftover chimichurri I had in the fridge plus leftover roasted carrots, peas, farro, and pine nuts. It made an excellent pasta salad. We also had grilled cheese sandwiches on whole wheat (Swiss and more Costco shredded mozzarella) and Cape Cod potato chips.

Chimichurri pasta salad is going into the files. Will definitely try that one again.

• Like 2

Like others here, lunch is often leftovers - either as is or combined to make something slightly different. Today I took the extra plain lahgman noodles we got with last night's dinner from Dolan Ughyur, stir-fried them with the bit of leftover garlic string beans, added some sauteed scallions, then mixed in some leftover homemade dumpling soy-based sauce along with some crushed chili peppers from leftover chili oil, finally a nice squirt of srirahcha. Turned out very tasty - helps when you have great noodles. 

• Like 4

We're trying out the Misfits Market produce box subscription service and had a couple of Roma tomatoes to use up.  Decided to make nachos for lunch.  Ground beef w/ taco seasoning, blue corn chips, pickled jalapeno slices and cheddar cheese.  My husband had the remains of a bag of ghost pepper chips, so he added that to his side of the tray.  Once hot and crispy, I added some salsa to mine and he went for the sour cream.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katya4me said:

nachos for lunch

Sounds good. We've got nachos on the dinner menu. It's been there for days and I've been looking forward to it. Given that I'll mostly eat nachos, I'm probably making too much other food:D

• Like 1

The past three days lunch has been everything bagels from Bullfrog Bagels, with smoked salmon spread from Cold Country Salmon with either roasted beets or some grape tomatoes from the garden.  Or leftover hot dogs.  Lunch is kind of a reoccurring theme: leftovers. 

• Like 3

I managed to get use out of the leftover nachos in a couple extra lunches as well. The reheating isn't totally smooth, but it works.

Yesterday's lunch was a chicken sandwich with lemon caper sauce, lettuce, and tomato on half a sub roll; blue corn tortilla chips to supplement the last of the leftover nachos; cauliflower - dill salad; sliced tomatoes; and, leftover potato salad. The chicken and caper sauce was the last remaining bit from Little Pearl takeout.

Today my husband's lunch was brie brioche toast with dill; leftover chilled cream of broccoli soup; and cauliflower salad. I had the last half of last night's meatball sandwich.

Leftover cold broccoli soup
Egg salad with mango chutney yogurt sauce and baby arugula on brioche hotdog buns
Baked beans

My husband had 3 courses. I just had the sandwich. It was really good. I added a small spoonful of mayo to the mango chutney yogurt sauce and it made an excellent dressing for egg salad. The peppery arugula was a nice contrast to the rich bun and the creamy spicy salad.

• Like 1

Yesterday:
Lentil sausage soup
Leftover tofu, brown rice, broccoli, and corn
Shirataki noodles

The soup was in the freezer, the last bit of a batch I made last month.

Today was leftover brown rice to go with a casserole I made from aging mushrooms and leftover broccoli and salmon. I needed to use up the remainder of a quart of milk so made a cream sauce and combined with the other ingredients. I sauteed the mushrooms with some chopped onion and garlic before I started the sauce. I also mixed in some homemade bread crumbs and added more of them and some grated Parmesan to the top about 5 minutes before the end of the oven time. If there hadn't been salmon involved, I probably would have gone more cheesy, but this was pretty balanced.

The casserole was quite good, an odd choice for a steamy July lunch, but that's the way it goes. I won't have the oven on again today!

• Like 1

Yesterday's lunch:
Macaroni with lamb and eggplant in tomato sauce
Leftover steamed broccoli

The macaroni was excess from what I cooked for the recent cold broccoli soup, which uses macaroni as the thickener. I coated it with some jarred spaghetti sauce and left it in the fridge until I had a use for it. That use was mixed with some of the leftover ground lamb and eggplant mixture from the other night. It made a good pasta sauce. The yogurt wasn't evident. I think some olives would have been good in this too.

Today:
Make your own soft chicken tacos (shredded chicken breast, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, shredded cheddar, sour cream, homemade-by-someone-else hot sauce, and flour tortillas).

My husband bought a rotisserie chicken at Costco this week and this made the beginning of a dent in it. I forgot how big those are. I had been buying ones from Whole Foods for a while and they are much smaller, less pumped up.

• Like 1

Fig, brie, bacon, walnut, and baby arugula salad
Leftover salmon, mushroom, and broccoli casserole
Crackers

Whoa, was that salad good. Hit all the right notes. The figs were from Costco. I toasted the walnuts.

• Like 1

We had chicken sandwiches on potato buns for lunch, with mayo or dill yogurt + BLT. To accompany, Trader Joe's ode to the classic potato chips and strawberries. The chicken was more of the rotisserie chicken from Costco.

• Like 1

Leftover roast chicken
Succotash
Yogurt and blueberries
Crackers and manchego cheese

I had not a lot of cooked fava beans left and decided to cut the kernels off the smallest ear of corn I'd bought at TJ's on Friday and make some succotash.

I simmered the corn in heavy cream, a little more than I intended, but it cooked down beautifully. I also added some very thinly shaved shallot and  seasoned the mixture with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Once it was about ready, I tossed the leftover spiced favas from last night into the pan to warm everything through. Super creamy and wonderful. I was quite pleased with myself:rolleyes:.

• Like 2

We had a hefty lunch today, bbq-themed: leftover spare ribs, leftover mac and cheese, chili beans, and cheddar - jalapeno bread. The last was from Souk, which just starting selling bread very recently. It's delicious! I picked this loaf up not too long before lunch, so it was still warm, laced with spicy jalapenos and cheesy cheese.

Because it seemed like it would round out the meal, I made quick chili beans out of canned pintos, with some tomato sauce, a glug of bbq sauce, ground chipotle and Penzey's hot chili powder (which is no longer that fresh, so more medium than high heat at this point).

• Like 2

Two obsessions: Charlie Trotter's citrus smoked salmon (available at WF) and Jose Andres mayo-jar dressing.

I've been hooked on the CT smoked salmon for quite a while. I usually throw it into an arugula salad with various add-ons. Today I only added a few small "Wild Wonders" tomatoes.

About that dressing: Have you seen JA's recipes for the people videos? An episode of the "chicken experience" includes a vignette about what to do with a mayonnaise jar that has only the dregs remaining. He adds mustard and olive oil (lots of olive oil) an shakes it up to make a dressing. That's what I put on my salmon/arugula salad for lunch today -- perfect.

http://www.joseandres.com/en_us/recipesforthepeople

• Like 2

Got 2 nice big eggplants in the CSA this week, so Sunday and Monday lunch was Sabich - great Iraqi israeli sandwich of fried/baked eggplant, hardboiled eggs, chopped Israeli salad, zhug, amba, and tahini sauces with some extra leftover pickled chile garlic relish. Lots of recipes out there but really great details in the Solomonov Israeli Soul cookbook (great one for so many home-made vs. restaurant recipes (I love the Zahav cookbook too but it is more fussy).

Today was eggplant with anchovies and oregano from the Ottolenghi Simple cookbook. First time making this dish and it was a hit. Very simple to bake the eggplant on high heat for 35 minutes then make an anchovy garlic and oil dressing to spoon over and a bunch of fresh chopped herbs. I didn't have the called for parsley so just extra fresh oregano - very nice.

• Like 1

Today's lunch was fancified ramen.  I boiled up 2 packets of spicy ramen noodles, and added a cut up leftover chicken breast that had been cooked in red Thai paste.  I sliced up 3 mushrooms and tossed them in the pot as well.  While that was finishing, I cut 1 ear of corn into my bowl, and then put 1 cut up green onion and bean sprouts into both of our bowls before adding the hot soup.  I was very happy with this lunch.

• Like 3

Usually I make a big lunch for friends to enjoy on Rosh Hashana. I was sad about not having the lunch this year due to Covid, so I made the lunch anyways and then spent Sunday delivering food to friends. This year was some of the greatest hits: Smitten Kitchen's roasted eggplant with tahini-yogurt sauce with crispy spiced chickpeas, and from same cookbook - Honey Harissa Farro grain salad with feta and mint, Persian Jeweled Rice, Zahav's kale, apple, walnut, and sumac onion salad, potato knishes, homemade whole grain mustard, and lots of pickles.

• Like 2

Lunch today was excellent, very fall-like. We had the remaining pumpkin banana mini-muffins that didn't go into the freezer; baby arugula salad (toasted pecans; shaved Parmesan or blue cheese; coarsely ground black pepper; evoo & balsamic drizzle); and leftover pumpkin mac and cheese. Any day I get blue cheese is almost guaranteed to be a good one. (My husband got the Parm.)

• Like 1

Another satisfying fall lunch: Soft pretzels from The Pretzel Bakery (plus Gulden's mustard for mine); cream of mushroom and vegetable soup; and leftover brown rice with green beans, broccoli, and roasted carrot.

The leftover rice was for my husband. He says he eats much better lunches since he's been at home all these months, instead of reheating leftovers in an office kitchen and eating at his desk. He's also eating bigger lunches, since he's not packing containers that have to fit into limited backpack space.

I made the soup using farmers market shiitakes from a couple of weeks ago. I kept them in a paper bag in the fridge where they began to dry a little bit, but that just concentrates the flavor more. The flavor came through clearly and was delicious. I pureed the soup with an immersion blender until smoothish with texture and a few small chunks. A little cream in after that. The base liquid was boxed chicken broth.

Other vegetables: onion, garlic, celery, leftover roasted carrots, yukon gold potato, and roasted corn kernels (corn from the bottomless meal delivery containers). The corn went in after the soup was pureed since they were already such small bits. Herbs: fresh thyme and parsley in the soup; fresh dill, garnish. (Whole Foods brought me two bunches of dill but I could swear I only ordered one. It's so fragile, I have to find a variety of uses pretty quickly.)

• Like 3

This afternoon was clean out the fridge/ cook lots of stuff time. I made okonomiyaki for a late lunch and put the leftovers in the fridge. That used up the Chinese cabbage and beet greens. I made up a Sriracha mayo to drizzle on top and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

• Like 2

Thursday's lunch was one of the best ones recently. We had meatloaf sandwiches with provolone and bacon on toast. My husband's had banana peppers and mine had French's yellow mustard. Meatloaf sandwiches are not something I make much or particularly crave, but these came out great. 

I had some leftover Punjabi turnips to accompany and he had some leftover potatoes. I also put some cottage cheese out, which was nice mixed in with the turnips.

Today I made tacos utilizing leftover eggy brown rice and spinach souffle from last night's dinner. I also -- for the first time ever, I'm pretty sure -- successfully made beans with the quick soak method. This morning I decided some pinto beans would be good with tacos for lunch, so I tried the quick soak, and this time it worked. Yay.

• Like 2

We made tahini noodles for lunch.  I prepped them in advance so we could have them cold for a picnic lunch.  I think I sliced the sweet potatoes thinner than called for as they were very crisp and on the edge of being burnt.  Also not overly sweet, which I was quite happy with.  However, the sauce was a bit saltier than I expected, so it may have been a better balance if they had been sweeter.  I did like the contrast of textures and the kale went well with the noodles.

• Like 2

I had a little more time to make lunch today so did some baking. We had cornbread (Edna Lewis recipe via Epicurious) and a broccoli and mushroom frittata (with anaheim chile and shallot, topped with swiss and mozzarella).

The cornbread came about because I was looking for a quick way to use soured milk. Some times the milk from South Mountain Creamery lasts longer than others (though this had been in the fridge for a while). This also used the last of my aging Anson Mills white cornmeal, which was perfect.

I did not, for the record, make my own baking powder, though it's good to know exactly to check for a recipe for it.

• Like 2

Lunch today was a good mix of leftovers. My husband had a bowl of the pork chili and a plate of brown rice, broccoli, and black pepper tofu, pumped up with a little hot pepper sesame oil and soy sauce and topped with some broken toasted  cashews. I had the same ingredients -- plus some NRG braised kale and onions -- as a bowl.

The chili is almost gone, and there's not too much liquid left, so I had several chunks of pork and some peppers with a little of the liquid mixed into my bowl. Really nice heat with it mixed all together.

• Like 1

Today's lunch was peanut sauced noodles.  I ended up using a box of regular angel hair noodles, swapped in 3 cut-up roma tomatoes for the cherry tomatoes and and tossed in a bell pepper.  I also had some pork chops that needed to be cooked, so I tossed the cooked veggies and noodles into a bowl, then cut them into thin strips and cooked them in the same skillet before tossing it all with the sauce. Very good meal and looking forward to it as leftovers.

• Like 3

I made cottage pie for lunch today. The very bottom was defrosted frozen mixed veggies I keep on hand for soup; then a layer of leftover cauliflower and ground beef; next, leftover spinach mashed potatoes plus excess sauteed mushrooms from the balsamic chicken; and then shredded colby jack to finish it off the top. I put it in the oven for about 25 minutes. Pumpernickel bagel from the freezer + cream cheese as well.

• Like 2

We had soup and sandwiches today. The soup was mushroom and the sandwiches ham and swiss with banana peppers. (Mine also had hot mustard.)

I hadn't made that soup recipe before. I often wing it on mushroom soup but mostly followed this one, except for halving it. I also added a splash of sherry early on and one of sherry vinegar right near the end. I think the recipe was either halved or doubled at some point because the version on the website calls for 16 oz./1 cup water, kind of an oops. (I used the latter.)

It's a good hearty soup. I used mostly cremini for the fresh mushrooms and the last few from a package of plain button.

We also had Utz potato chips and my husband had grapes and one of our dwindling supply of Costco chocolate chip cookies. I'm hoping to start some holiday baking soon.

Sort of breakfast for lunch today. I had a bowl of oatmeal with sliced banana mixed in, a little milk, and a light sprinkling each of cinnamon and vanilla sugar. We both had toast and split an omelette that was filled with the excess sausage cheese stuffing that I had from making stuffed mushrooms. It made a great filling for the eggs. My husband also had the last bit of the leftover orzo, which isn't so breakfasty-y but went nicely with the omelette.

• Like 1

For my husband's lunch, I repurposed the excess liquid (seasoned coconut milk and turkey broth) from making the curry chard into a Thai chicken soup. I simmered a skinless chicken thigh in the liquid (with a little additional water) until it was cooked through. I removed it and shredded the meat and added back in with some of the green beans and pieces of chard leaves and stems from the original dish. At the time I had stored the liquid, I put a bunch of chopped cilantro stems in with it, so that also contributed to the mix (which started with ginger, garlic, hot peppers, and green curry paste). I finished the soup off with some freshly squeezed lime and chopped cilantro leaves. My sampling of it was quite tasty.

He also got the last of the squash salad with cider vinaigrette, boosted with some more baby arugula.

I wasn't that hungry and had a variation on what has become my staple lunch: yogurt with a generous pinch of rolled oats and blueberries, plus whole berry cranberry relish from Thanksgiving. The cranberries are fabulous in the yogurt and the mix of the red and blue berries makes the whole bowl look like abstract art-_-.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pat said:

For my husband's lunch, I repurposed the excess liquid (seasoned coconut milk and turkey broth) from making the curry chard into a Thai chicken soup. I simmered a skinless chicken thigh in the liquid (with a little additional water) until it was cooked through. I removed it and shredded the meat and added back in with some of the green beans and pieces of chard leaves and stems from the original dish. At the time I had stored the liquid, I put a bunch of chopped cilantro stems in with it, so that also contributed to the mix (which started with ginger, garlic, hot peppers, and green curry paste). I finished the soup off with some freshly squeezed lime and chopped cilantro leaves. My sampling of it was quite tasty.

He also got the last of the squash salad with cider vinaigrette, boosted with some more baby arugula.

I wasn't that hungry and had a variation on what has become my staple lunch: yogurt with a generous pinch of rolled oats and blueberries, plus whole berry cranberry relish from Thanksgiving. The cranberries are fabulous in the yogurt and the mix of the red and blue berries makes the whole bowl look like abstract art-_-.

Thinking about trying to recreate Black Salt’s Thai Coconut seafood stew- which might be mor like Tom kha goong- but the green or red chili paste might be good to add

Today’s lunch was from Bon Appétit turkey leftover recipe- but I subbed poached chicken thighs for the turkey.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mouthwatering-turkey-with-glass-noodles

image.jpeg.16881ce421035a22945691bad84c1452.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday's lunch was ramen.  In the pantry, I found 2 packets of Purple Potato & Brown Rice Ramen Turmeric Curry Soup.  I had a sad bunch of chard in the fridge, half an onion and some frozen corn.  While the noodles boiled, I sautéed the veggies and made a sauce of miso, sweet soy sauce and sesame oil.  Added that to the veggies, then poured the veggies into the broth and topped with a sliced jalapeno.  Really good meal and quite filling.   

• Like 2

We've had some interesting lunches recently. The last NRG order brought us par-baked everything bagels and we had them several days. A couple of the days that was with a platter of capers, cream cheese, red onion, and Ivy City Smokehouse smoked salmon to accompany leftovers of various sorts.

I experimented with reheating solidified polenta and topping it with sauteed mushrooms and the leftover sauce from when I baked chicken topped with enchilada sauce and cheese. That worked great. More recently, I discovered that overly sweet pureed sweet potatoes could be tamed by mixing with a quick whole berry cranberry sauce (no sugar) flavored with clementine peel. It also makes gorgeous abstract art.

The most recent creation was curried turkey soup with carrots, celery, onion, sweet potato, and carrot greens. I made a pretty basic vegetable soup using not-all-that-far-past-its-date (really!) turkey stock and the remaining turkey that wasn't consumed with the roulade (chopped, about a cup). This was a great way to use the greens from a delivery that included carrots. The combination really neutralized the bitterness of the carrot greens. They were perfectly palatable.

From the freezer, I pulled out the excess filling from when I made Ina Garten's chicken enchiladas a couple months back - chicken and black beans, primarily, in the sauce. I heated some flour tortillas and turned these into chicken enchilada burritos, brightened with the last of cilantro that hung on impressively long and creme fraiche.

• Like 1

Spicy turkey patty melts and Utz potato chips today. The "spicy" was some Cava harissa I put into the ground meat. Used the dwindling supply of sourdough from Whole Foods since it was what I had. Very filling but good.

• Like 2

This was for lunch today and it was fantastic, kind of like a spicy Welsh Rarebit topped with a fried egg. The bread was a quick white sandwich bread from a recent edition of The Joy of Cooking.

We also had salads: baby arugula, baby beets, walnuts, pomegranate arils, and feta or blue cheese. I had plain red wine vinegar as a dressing and my husband had ranch. Lots of bright colors in this meal.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Korean fried chicken and I had a head of cauliflower in the fridge, so I decided to make baked spicy cauliflower.   I liked how it came out but my husband is not a fan of cauliflower, so so he liked the outside, but not the inside.  Definitely will keep the technique and sauce to try with chicken breasts but in the meantime, I have leftovers to have for lunch today.      

• Like 1

I've made a couple new things for lunches this week, as in, the very first servings of them appeared at lunch. One was a spiced butternut squash and apple soup I improvised that came out great. Another was today's veggie and cheese calzones. In a completely counterintuitive move (that'll throw 'em off the trail-_-), I made fresh ricotta for this and then used expiring premade piecrusts from Giant for the dough. Filling was provolone, mozzarella, ricotta, and sauteed orange and yellow pepper, onion, garlic, and broccoli. Woot!

• Like 2