Lunch - The Mid-Day, Polyphonic Food Blog

Anna Blume

Today was a lavash wrap with: hummus, refried black beans, feta, roasted sweet potato, quick pickled radish and onion, leftover mint chutney from my Indian food, lettuce, cucumber and a little hot sauce.  Next time more potato, feta and a little more sauce of some sort.

Snack: more malted milk balls than I want to admit.

5 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

What and where is garner? 

Garner Produce. You can preorder from them for pickup at Dupont Farmer's Market or their farm stand. I am not certain of the status of other markets. Click on the what we grow button to see and then you order by email. 

They have superb greens and usually great veggies. Right now, their turnips and carrots are a little tire as they are from storage. Their beets are good and they have some with greens. Their asparagus stat this wek and they are one of the best asparagus growers at the farmer's markets. 

For lunch I made some brown rice - millet ramen for my husband. I added some rehydrated porcinis and their liquid, dehydrated onion flakes, and the last of the kale. Following Dean's advice, I also splashed in a tiny bit of San-J Tamari, which I had in the refrigerator.

It must have been good. He ate a bowl and a half. There's still enough left for his lunch tomorrow.

We also had baked sweet potatoes topped with Yellow Indian Woman beans and shredded sharp cheddar. It's the second time I've made this NYT recipe and we really like it. We each had two halves of the potatoes and there are two left for tomorrow.

I ate the leftover ham and pea pasta cold with pickled beets added to it, and that was very good.  I also had plain greek yogurt with canned peaches in syrup (my friends can these and they are soo good). 

Trying to decide what lunch today is...

My husband finished the fettuccine and leftover salad and the second half of an apple. I ate the very last of the cooked Yellow Indian Woman beans. For some reason, I mixed them with some cottage cheese, which might not have been so weird if I hadn't heated the beans with what was left of their liquid beforehand. Very...curd-y. I added some sriracha and it was perfectly edible. It just looked strange.

Brunch of Japanese fried rice w/spring onion from Garner's, soeme kind of cabbage/greens from H Mart that looked like romaine but tastes quite cabbagy, king mushrooms, egg, leftover Japanese rice w/a splash of soy. And lots of olive oil.

must go to sleep!

• Like 2

On Saturday my husband baked some bread and made a chicken salad from some breasts he'd smoked over hickory a few days earlier. He included some Craisins and diced apple in the chicken salad. He went a little heavy on the Dijon (mixed with mayo), but on the bread it tasted less strong. Quite delicious and more elaborate than we usually eat for lunch!

• Like 2

Eco Friendly farms chorizo. Home made fermented mustard, Homemade sauerkraut.

I would say I prefer Stachowski's chorizo but both are good. I'd use ecofriendly in the future for a crumbled ingredient like chorizo tacos instead of cooking it as links. 

• Like 1

I had more blueberries and yogurt for lunch. I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch or I have one sort of random bit of food late morning or early afternoon, but I've been trying to stick to a schedule of having lunch with my husband on his half hour lunch break. He had leftover rigatoni with vodka sauce from our Rose's delivery, a couple Brazilian cheese rolls (still have those!), half an apple, and a sandwich cookie created from two Carr's whole wheat crackers (which are effectively digestive biscuits) and Nutella for a filling. (I had an openfaced version of said cookie.)

Neither one of us loves Nutella. I had some left from a recipe and it was languishing in the pantry until I discovered this creation a few weeks ago. Digestive biscuits and nutella complement each other really well.

16 hours ago, naxos said:

My favorites!

I picked them up on my very last time inside a store, March 17, when I stopped at the gourmet corner store. The smoked salmon and wine are gone but the crackers are still plentiful.

Lunch today was more French Toast Casserole from the freezer plus bacon. My husband had a clementine and we split a warmed chocolate chip cookie that came with our Rose's order over the weekend.

Lunch today was tomato basil soup and more Bread Furst whole wheat bread and homemade ricotta.

There's still half a cup of ricotta left and I need to find a way to preserve it just a little longer so we can finish it while it's still good. I'm planning to search around online to see if I can figure that out.

I used coconut cream diluted with some water for the soup. Making this quick soup I usually use lite coconut milk but the cream was expired so I wanted to use that first. Now that's open and I still have half a can left. Have to figure out what to do with that too. (Maybe freeze?)

2 hours ago, Pat said:

Lunch today was tomato basil soup and more Bread Furst whole wheat bread and homemade ricotta.

There's still half a cup of ricotta left and I need to find a way to preserve it just a little longer so we can finish it while it's still good. I'm planning to search around online to see if I can figure that out.

I used coconut cream diluted with some water for the soup. Making this quick soup I usually use lite coconut milk but the cream was expired so I wanted to use that first. Now that's open and I still have half a can left. Have to figure out what to do with that too. (Maybe freeze?)

Make a Painkiller with the coconut cream.  All you need is Rum(Pussers) and some citrus juice.  Painkillers are always good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smithhemb said:

Re coconut cream. Licuados?  Milk, ice, and a tablespoon or two of the coconut cream in the blender makes a nice one.  Especially good with freshly grated nutmeg on top. 

After making the ricotta I'm now almost completely out of dairy milk. I wonder how coconut cream is in coffee. This idea might make good iced coffee. A beverage does look like a good way to go.

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Make a Painkiller with the coconut cream.  All you need is Rum(Pussers) and some citrus juice.  Painkillers are always good.

Ah! A beverage :D.

Lunch today was broccoli salad with crisped country ham and blue cheese, a hot dog and diet coke.

I dehydrated some sweet potatoes in the oven trying to make chips, they seem ok, but next time I will just fry them.  They need some sort of seasoning other than the salt that is on them that I can't put my finger on.

Lunches this week have mainly been vegetarian wraps with assorted fillings.  Another day was greek yogurt with canned peaches from a friend, which are just divine, and lots of pistachios. I have been making cheater chai tea from Priya on BonAppetit and just adding crushed cardamon pods to my black tea to steep, then adding milk and sweetener. 

Tomorrow I might get the Italian Place for lunch, I have kind of been craving an Italian sub. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pat said:

Lunch was the last of the tomato basil soup, 

We too finished off tomato soup today, this one the veggie pot one. Also a cheese plate w/pecorino pepato, pecorino tartufato and pecorino stagionata marchigiano. A local apple from Spring Valley

• Like 2

Lunch today was leftover hot dogs, baked beans, and some slaw.  We have a huge Easter dinner, so we didn't have a huge lunch. 

Lunch yesterday was Popeyes, chicken sandwich- we had waited in line at Mount Vernon to pick up our meal, and dropped off mail at the post, and we were hungry.

Friday I had The Italian Place on my way from home the office. 

I had an appellate deadline today so had to go into the office.  As most of the food is cleared out, I had a pretty sad desk lunch- tuna salad with chow chow, on white bread with a slice of american cheese.  Cheese flavored smart pop, popcorn, a few peanut butter m&ms and a diet coke.  I also ate too much and too fast, because I was hungry.  Oh well.

I need to eat a bit more healthy the next few days.  Will work on that.

Last night's garam masala deviled eggs went into egg salad on whole wheat hotdog buns for lunch. I added a little chopped celery to the eggs and an inner leaf of romaine to line each of the buns. My husband also had some of the leftover spicy tofu sofritas and brown rice. Lots of protein in the lunch. Accompaniments: Cape Cod potato chips; banana.

Spot had water & cat chow for a change. He also look out the window menu planning for his bird dinner. Note: in his 11 year life he has never gone outside, but he will as soon as he figures out front doors!

Leftover matzo ball soup. Bread & tzatziki. We shared Spot's water. not his bowl, mind you, but from the same Britta. Coffee from Beanetics: Bali Blue Moon. At $14 a pound, a screamingly good buy.

• Like 1

Late July sea salt and lime tortilla chips and Frontera roasted tomato salsa. Leftover spicy tofu sofritas and brown rice.

The salsa was opened originally to be used in the sofritas, so salsa two ways in the lunch.

Veggie pan bagnat from the Greens cookbook. Damn, it’s good! Alas, no leftovers.  

Basil and pine nuts were relatively scarce.  Basically, the larger quantities were OOS.  Snagged the last medium-sized container pinenuts (4 oz) and had to buy a live basil plant to get 1 cup.  

We had leftover chicken and shrimp gumbo, chicken sandwiches on whole wheat, and potato chips. Well, my husband had all of those. I had half a chicken sandwich and a few potato chips.

• Like 1

Used left over rice w/yellow pickle and umeboshi & nori to make quick onigiri.

Leftover tofu w/ramp oil.

Israeli tangerine & 2 tiny Trader Joe's Mandarins

Spot puked on the carpet, then went back to get more cat chow. 

Smoked trout salad, made with Trader Joe’s good smoked trout, Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers and celery. The dressing was finally diced capers, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, Salt and pepper. I added a little grated Parmesan cheese and tossed everything together. Yummy. 

• Like 2

Finished off leftovers:

The mushroom pasta which was better today, cold, than originally. The overnight evened out the moisture in the pasta so it was uniform texture wise, and cold the garlic and ginger were more pronounced. 

Leftover spinach, again cold. Quite delicious. Again, the best of the three times we ate the spinach.

Spot puked up his brekkies. 

• Like 2

We had tuna sandwiches for lunch, with a hard-boiled egg chopped in, celery, shallot, and pickle. For the dressing, I used the some of the red pepper mayonnaise left from what I made for the salmon the other night. Probably should have halved that recipe🤨. It's going to last a while.

My husband also had a chicken sausage and a few ravioli left from another dinner. Kind of an odd pairing with a tuna sandwich, but you know...

• Like 1

Got to enjoy the feeling of opening an avocado at perfect ripeness. it is rare. Spread on the last of this week's Atwater Sourdough loaf and some crackers. Quite delicious with pickled red onion in balsamico. This has been marinating for weeks so the flavors are really deep and yet the onion still has some crunch. This is basically the end of the batch, but I plan on reusing the balsmcio for another batch.

• Like 2

Today I had the last of yesterday's tuna and egg salad with crackers, while my husband finished the leftover pork and vegetable stir-fry. It was served over some Thai rice noodles, the medium-sized ones. I managed to get the noodles cooked just right, not gummy at all.

Today was the last of the zucchini fritter batter.  It was my first time using this recipe and it'll be the last.  I thought I drained the zucchini enough, but it was incredibly wet and did not fry well at all.  But it's gone now.