Pearl Dive Oyster Palace, 14th and Q Streets - Black Pearls Gawn Wild

Let me add another voice to those that found Don's response far more disturbing than the post in question. If you want to maintain an honest discourse, the only posts that should be considered unacceptable are those that contain inaccuracies/mistakes, personal attacks, or are obviously written by shills/plants. I know that Don values his relationships with restauranteurs, but trying to cement those relationships by throwing a member of this site under the bus isn't the way to go.

I agree that the post should stand. As to anonymity, anyone can gather my real name, but I understand why people have handles, considering the employment issues that could arise. I know many of the members and anyone who takes the time to come to events can, as well. This is not really an anonymous site- you have a reputation, you have a history here.

I think this is a really valuable community, and am very proud to be apart of it, whether or not Mr. Black, whose restaurants I like and frequent, chooses to be a member or not. We are not Yelp, nor are we anything close to it. But frank and open discussions with assenting or dissenting views are essential to the conversation. I think it is well moderated and that the call Don previously made to let the discussion continue without removing the post was fair.

agree with using real names. Comments tend to be more responsible when your name is on a post. I've been using my name in my signature for several years here with no issues.

How does anyone know "Elizabeth Miller" is my real name? And if it is, which of the many Elizabeth Millers am I? (there are lots) It's easy to post under a perfectly credible looking pseudonym. I don't accept the argument that a post is more credible when the name appears to be legit.

So we're not boycotting PDOP?

P.s. I'm on top, I'm on top !

I've been boycotting Pearl Dive ever since December when I (and the rest of my party) was completely blown off by the staff and management, while seated in the dining room. And I've made it a bit of a mission to tell everyone I know of my experience. And I've learned that friends of mine, and others on this board shared similar encounters with the unbelievably (mind-blowingly) rude & inept staff and management.

Just so we're clear on not hiding behind pseudonyms, my name is Jason Mandel, I live in Arlington, and while I've been out of the hospitality industry for 6+ years now, I used to be an AGM and GM of a couple restaurants in a previous life.

Mr. Black's rant earlier is just another blaring example of their "we don't care" attitude. In my experience, if a guest of your establishment voices a complaint or an issue, it's for good reason (unless the guest is a serial complainer.) A responsible professional would resolve the issue, satisfy the guest, and become a better restaurant as a result in the future.

Hanks Oyster Bar is right down the street, and they're happy to have my business, and I'm delighted to patronize them, over & over & over.

I meant to write this earlier before the "piling on," but feel like I should add my brief comment to the crowd, if only because I was a poster on this thread around the same time as Nova, and had a similar complaint.

I went to Pearl Dive for lunch one day and was literally ignored by our waiter for probably 15+ minutes. Luckily (for them) we were with two out of town friends we hadn't seen in a while so we stuck it out and chatted for the duration, but all of us were uncomfortable with the lapse. If it had just been me and my +1, I think we would have probably left. I did flag down a manager and I did make our issue known. He barely apologized, and he still took 5+ minutes to send someone over to our table. I eat out a lot, and I consider myself fairly tolerant, and this was a very long wait.

I don't disagree that a comment on the food without trying it is a bit unfair, but I have, in the past, also commented on food brought to other tables, and I think sometimes you can tell a fair bit about a restaurant by what and how much others eat.

Bottom line is that I respect Don and have always loved and appreciated this website, but I was not a fan of his response above.

I don't disagree that a comment on the food without trying it is a bit unfair, but I have, in the past, also commented on food brought to other tables, and I think sometimes you can tell a fair bit about a restaurant by what and how much others eat.

I don't recall anybody on this board being upset that someone saw the Veal Chop at Fiola passing by his/her table and being impressed enough to change his/her order. Face it: we all look at the food coming out of the kitchen and make note of it. If that's OK to mention, then why is it unacceptable to mention what doesn't look so good?

As a fairly outspoken critic of Pearl Dive, I'll speak up to Don's defense in this matter.

I'm constantly impressed with Rocks' diplomacy in maintaining a civil conversation throughout this website. I've been edited a few times myself when I let emotions & rushed judgement take priority over reason & patience. With my sometimes rash judgement, I probably would have renamed this thread " Horrendous Service, "F" them " by now. But DonRocks, to his credit, thinks "big picture over the long run", and in my opinion, strives to maintain relationships with all participants of this board.

I remember that Rocks himself wrote a non-favorable review of Pearl Dive a few months ago, I think he just tells it as it is: Click!

How does anyone know "Elizabeth Miller" is my real name? And if it is, which of the many Elizabeth Millers am I? (there are lots) It's easy to post under a perfectly credible looking pseudonym. I don't accept the argument that a post is more credible when the name appears to be legit.

You do have a point but I guess my name is less common (absolutely no offence intended) than yours. Don and I have pmed and I use my name on other boards (wine beserker). Certainly, Dean Gold knows my name is legit, right Dean? DR and I have pmed a few times though we have yet to meet even though we've been in the same venue on the same night a few times!

You're the one driving fast!

One thing I find amusing is that Jeff Black actually started this thread with this message...I'll re-post it here so you don't have to go back to Page 1 and scroll up:

"Jeff Black here. My new Restaurant is now open. Downstairs is a Gulf Coast inspired Oyster Bar (Pearl Dive), upstairs we have bocce ball and a bar named Black Jack. Let me know what you think. JB"

For me, if you start a thread on a discussion board in an obvious effort to drum up business, you shouldn't be criticizing someone that does exactly what you asked them to do.

Perhaps next time he'll say "Let me know what you think...as long as it's nice."

More than a year ago, Don wrote a typically substantive but fairly negative review about Pearl Dive Oyster Palace (PD). And, last summer, there was the unfortunate brouhaha prompted by Jeff Black's comments about bloggers (and dr.com) at the RAMMY awards and then Don's response here to that (accounting for nearly half of all posts on this thread!). In his review, Don noted that he was downgrading PD in his Dining Guide to "Good" from "Very Good," "below Cafe St Ex," and that "good isn't bad." That's where PD still sits today, more than a year later and below not only St Ex but also below Posto (!), Masa 14 (!) and Drafting Table (!!).

Along with that stuff, there have been several, well-supported posts critical of the service at Pearl Dive but none in the past year.

Finally, including me, there have been posts made by many others who are fans and particularly about the food.

There hasn't been a Pearl Dive post of any kind since last summer. I don't know when Don was last there (or if he ever went again after the visit supporting his review) but no PearlDive activity from him on DC Dining since late January, 2012 or here on the board. Not ever about the food and not at all since his most recent post (kerfuffle related) last June just above mine.

Not sure how much posts like mine here influence anything but I think PD deserves another look by the power that be. I'd even say I think PD deserves fairer treatment.

The Case for More Pearl Dive Love

We're semi-regular visitors to Pearl Dive. Maybe about once every two months and often for Sunday Brunch, including today. In total, I've been approximately 12 - 15 times since they opened with groups of different sizes, for dinner, brunch, lunch and once for a special event.

- I've never had the kind of service miscues some have unfortunately (though not recently) experienced. In fact, I've usually experienced the opposite. While I wouldn't cite PD for any "Top 10 in DC Restaurant Service" honors, I very much like how their managers circulate regularly checking on things and supporting the staff. I like how the servers and table bussers have clearly defined roles and work as a team. Sometimes when they're slammed, service can slow but, on balance, it's been consistently fine for me. They have almost always been friendly, genuine and flexible responding to our needs.

- It's packed most of the time. Now, one can attribute nothing meaningful to that if you're of the mindset that the masses don't know any better, fast food joints do well, etc, etc. But again here, I have a different view. PD, while not expensive, isn't cheap. And, it sits in a part of the city surrounded by a growing number of excellent restaurants with which it competes. So, maybe fair to say their customers generally know at least a little about good food and fair value.

- Jeff Black, whatever his flaws and mistakes, runs a well-oiled machine with the Black Restaurant Group. And, in full disclosure, I've never even met the man. I find his restaurants and food to be more consistently very good than several other local restaurant groups. This isn't just about smart marketing (which he does; half price oysters--all oysters--on Mondays!!), intelligent and fair pricing (which his spots tend to have) and food that offers just enough to be interesting while using fresh quality ingredients, consistently good execution and nice seasoning and flavors. As much as anything, it's about his approach to staff. Kelly Sault, formerly of Palena and several years in positions of increasing responsibility with the Black Restaurant Group, is a good example of how the business attracts, develops, rewards and tends to retain staff better than the norm. Here's a good WJLA-Channel 7 video of Kelly promoting Pearl Dive's one-year anniversary last September.

We went for brunch today. Service was very good with 3 or 4 different people delivering food, refilling water, clearing dishes and wiping the table. Our main server was a woman we'd had before and she was great. I had dropped off my +1 and had a bit of trouble finding a parking spot. No issue whatsoever from our server or anyone despite the place being packed. Later in the meal, we ordered and cheerfully received just 3 raw oysters despite the table placard indicating a 6-minimum order.

The food was reliably good. We had a pound of the very tasty "Addie's Mussels" in a broth of shallot, fumet, butter and plenty of garlic; the cooked bacon-wrapped "angels on horseback" oysters with balsamic; the delicious "Ponchartrain" well poached farm eggs with blue crab, crawfish, tasso ham and a gently spiced cayenne hollandaise on an english muffin; a side of sweet potato hash and a pot of Mighty Leaf green tea. All well executed. All tasty. All enjoyed. Also got the three "Naked Roy" raw oysters, one of my favorite varieties. Firmer, medium sized with a mild brine.

A final oyster note. I continue to believe this is one of the very best spots in our area for fresh raw oysters on the half shell. They have a regularly changing slate of varieties from the Chesapeake, New England, Canada and West Coast. They partner with Rappahonnock River for some smaller local options like Rappahonnock River and Kegotanks along with Wellfleets, the WA-state Naked Roys and Kumamotos.

Pearl Dive deserves better Dining Guide treatment imho. At minimum, I'd gently suggest it deserves another look for any that had a less-than-excellent experience more than 10 months ago. They're now in their 18th month of operation. I'm glad they're here and believe this board should support them more as deemed worthy.

Hubby and I went to Pearl Dive for brunch/lunch yesterday, as we had to meet some friends at the Westin at 14th and M and I desperately wanted oysters. We sat at the inside bar, which was empty when we arrived and packed when we left. The bartenders, Sam and Enzo, were absolutely delightful - friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable, and completely in control of the [sometimes obnoxiously hung-over and mimosa-guzzling] crowds as they started to pile in. Sam made me a great Aviation to start - Jason had a Fleur 75, which he enjoyed.

I started with oysters - 2 Kumamoto (like old friends, I just can't say no when they are on a menu - they pack such great punch in such a little package), 2 Old Black Salt (slightly bigger than the Kumamoto, nice and briny but still a touch of sweetness), and 2 Belon (HUGE suckers, with amazing complex flavor - the best way I can describe them is that they had some serious FUNK - absolutely delicious). Jason prefers his bivalves cooked through, so he tried the cornmeal-crusted oysters with sweet potato-andouille hash, and he scarfed it right up.

For entrees, I went with the Ponchartrain, with poached eggs/ham/crawfish/crab (a seafood Benny, if you will), and it was a really nice dish. Jason was going to get a po'boy, but he started asking about the fried chicken, and Sam said it was recently voted one of the best in the city, so he ordered it. MAN, was it good. Crispy, not greasy at all, perfectly salty, kind of spicy, juicy, all dark meat goodness. Served with roasted potatoes, braised greens, and slaw, it was a lot of food for $19 (it was two thighs and a drumstick). A seafood joint has no business making fried chicken that good.

Pearl Dive is not cheap ($130 for 2 rounds, apps, entrees, tax, and tip), but I felt like we had a really good meal. We will definitely be back.

First time here. Love oysters and N'Orleans fare so have been looking forward to dropping in. Arrived just after 17:00 and the bar was swamped. Folks on the patio and inside had taken up all the seats. Fortunately, after a few minutes wait, an inside bar seat came free. Had a dozen oysters, sampling 4 varieties: two from the Pacific Northwest, two from the east coast. Sorry that I don't recall the names, other than the black salts; they were all different from those listed on PDOP's web site. Oysters were nicely shucked and fresh. They were accompanied by a cocktail sauce and 3 variations on mignonette -- I don't put anything on raw oysters, so no comment on the dipping sauces.  I then moved on to the grilled redfish with sage pecan butter and stone grits. The fish was cooked perfectly and the pecan/butter sauce complemented it nicely. The grits were good too. I would order this dish again. Had a glass of the Domaine De La Quilla Muscadet Sevre et Maine, which was very pleasant with the oysters, and an Oregon pinot noir (IEIO Cuvee E Pinot Noir Willamette Valley, if I remember correctly) which was good but at $15 I would think twice about ordering it again. Sam, the bar tender, was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was lively and fun, as you would hope at happy hour. I plan to return soon. 

First time here. Love oysters and N'Orleans fare so have been looking forward to dropping in. Arrived just after 17:00 and the bar was swamped. Folks on the patio and inside had taken up all the seats. Fortunately, after a few minutes wait, an inside bar seat came free. Had a dozen oysters, sampling 4 varieties: two from the Pacific Northwest, two from the east coast. Sorry that I don't recall the names, other than the black salts; they were all different from those listed on PDOP's web site. Oysters were nicely shucked and fresh. They were accompanied by a cocktail sauce and 3 variations on mignonette -- I don't put anything on raw oysters, so no comment on the dipping sauces.  I then moved on to the grilled redfish with sage pecan butter and stone grits. The fish was cooked perfectly and the pecan/butter sauce complemented it nicely. The grits were good too. I would order this dish again. Had a glass of the Domaine De La Quilla Muscadet Sevre et Maine, which was very pleasant with the oysters, and an Oregon pinot noir (IEIO Cuvee E Pinot Noir Willamette Valley, if I remember correctly) which was good but at $15 I would think twice about ordering it again. Sam, the bar tender, was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was lively and fun, as you would hope at happy hour. I plan to return soon. 

Nice report, dwt!  We're semi-regular here and particularly fans of the Naked Roys on the oyster menu.  They usually have them. Good medium brine; medium sized, always fresh.  The non-oyster food isn't exceptional with some things better than others (try the catfish poboy/sandwich sometime) but I still think this is the best spot in the area for a wide variety of fresh bivalves at reasonable prices.

Hubby and I went to Pearl Dive for brunch/lunch yesterday...

...Jason prefers his bivalves cooked through, so he tried the cornmeal-crusted oysters with sweet potato-andouille hash, and he scarfed it right up.

... A seafood joint has no business making fried chicken that good.

Pearl Dive is not cheap ($130 for 2 rounds, apps, entrees, tax, and tip), but I felt like we had a really good meal.  We will definitely be back.

Re: cooked oysters.  Try the Angels on Horseback next time.  Easy to like.

With you on the fried chicken.  It's odd we don't have (m)any places in DC that do this well. Really miss Gillian Clark.  These bivalve dudes and gals do somehow make a credible and tasty version.

Your pricing is at the higher end of what two will spend there without drinks.  Not too tough to get out for 20-50 less than that. Brunch. Lunch. Different options on menu.

I was surprised last night to get, instead of a proper Martini, iced gin in a coupe at the Black Pearl bar.  Admittedly, for years I enjoyed iced gin but I have been swept up in the Cocktail Revolution and was surprised to find a bearded bartender with an array of obscure gins at his disposal serving 90s-style drinks.  I asked him to add Vermouth and a shot of Peychaud's and he did so.

Dinner itself felt muddled.  I've never thought of New Orleans cooking as distinguished by nuance, so perhaps I got what I asked for when I shared a tasty crawfish etouffe, a slightly overcooked rockfish fillet on a mush of snow peas, mushrooms and onion cream, and too-crunchy fried green tomatoes heaped with shrimp remoulade.  Each dish had certain enjoyable assertiveness about it. But together they became undistinguished and repetitive -- like high-end stoner food or listening to a Led Zeppelin album all the way through.

Given the ending of Don's post, I read it as somewhat of a joking response, an example of the kind of thorough apology a restauranteur should make when someone has a complaint of a serious service issue (as Novalawyer did) or serious food issue. "I would have very much liked to correct this problem before having read about it on the internet." sounded like what restauranteurs have said when someone has posted about a major service or food issue they had but didn't contact a manager at the time to have the problem corrected, so I thought Don was doing an example of the gentler response Mr. Black could have given.

Just in case you never received your report card, you got an A+ in Reading Comprehension. You're the only person to realize that my entire post was nothing more than a parody of one of those "please forgive us for living," let-me-lick-your-boots, boilerplate letters that restaurateurs write online to pacify whiny customers - when I wrote it, I thought I had made it *too* obvious what I was doing; apparently not. I had forgotten all about this, but now I remember sitting back, watching in near-total disbelief as the mob-mentality grew by the hour - I just let it happen, hoping that someone (like you) would realize what I had done - but even *that* didn't stop it. If you have to explain a joke, it isn't funny, so I chose not to explain it, and to let human nature unravel without any government regulation.

My appreciation, Genevieve, for taking the time to read and interpret my post, and I mean this sincerely. My intent was to make everyone - including Jeff - smile at what I saw to be a complete non-issue: The media was making a big deal out of nothing, and I thought humor was the best way to diffuse the situation, and say, to everyone, "All is well."

Had brunch here for the first time and everyone (party of 4) was very pleased. We ordered doughnuts, oysters on the half shell, hang town fry, hangar steak, an omelette special, and redfish. Everything was very good. I'm not a brunch person but thoroughly enjoyed the lively atmosphere and food. Service was excellent -- a remarkable team effort with at least 5 different staff members visiting our table. 

• Like 1